: D3 Crank Pulley?

s4ologist
09-05-09, 06:32 PM
Has anyone tried this? They say it increases boost 3psi, and since it is a crank pulley, it should be a quick procedure (not a week waiting for the blower snout to come back).

Is this something that dealers would be willing to install? My guess is, even if they would, the tuning would have to be done elsewhere.

Maybe Hennessey or another tuner would install it and do the tune?

What do you guys think?

Luna.
09-06-09, 12:59 PM
Yes, some have tried this. I believe you'll get at least 3 psi.

Your dealer probably will be willing to install it, but you'll surely want it tuned and I doubt many dealers do that.

Many people from TX post on these forums, so hopefully they can guide you to a good tuner.

chopmeat
09-06-09, 05:31 PM
Oh come on!
Ya gotta do it ALL!!!
Not just the one pulley!

Gary Wells
09-06-09, 06:12 PM
With as few known CTS-V tuners / speciality shops / installation shops as there are through out the country, you might want to consider picking a tuner or installation shop to go with first and see what they suggest for parts / tunes.
I looked at the D3 Research & Design pulley about 2 weeks ago and it is a very nice piece. What would appear to be very excellent machining & processing (hard anodizing). Also, I think that they advised me that they do not believe in changing the upper pulley as a general rule. James stated 3-3 1/2 lbs. boost increase, stick or auto, with about 8 hour installation time if they do the work. With you in Texas, I would talk to Hennessey or any other tuners local to Texas. I think that the tuner and the parts picked by him or at his suggestion might bring a better chance of success. HTH

Gary Wells
09-06-09, 06:26 PM
With as few known CTS-V tuners / speciality shops / installation shops as there are through out the country, you might want to consider picking a tuner or installation shop to go with first and see what they suggest for parts / tunes.
I looked at the D3 Research & Design pulley about 2 weeks ago and it is a very nice piece. What would appear to be very excellent machining & processing (hard anodizing). Also, I think that they advised me that they do not believe in changing the upper pulley as a general rule. James stated 3-3 1/2 lbs. boost increase, stick or auto. With you in Texas, I would talk to Hennessey, but I would take my banker with me. They sound like they do first class work. HTH

nradcad
09-06-09, 06:58 PM
Along the lines of tuning shops in Texas, are there any shops near the Houston area that do work on Vs? I would love to find a good local shop that tunes. Any post on these forums near this area that know of anybody?

NeedCTS-v
09-06-09, 08:30 PM
Hennessey

SlvrBullIT
09-06-09, 10:40 PM
For a real good tuner, go to Henderson Performance in New Braunfels. If you need help getting to him, let me know and I'll show you where he's at since I live in New Braunfels too. He specializes in LS motors, and has worked on ZR1's already. He recently got back from the the salt flats and ran his motors with no problem. Gave me a nice quote on AR headers with install and dyno tune. No one that I've talked to that has gone to Henderson performace has anything bad to say only smiles and good things to say, the guy that refered me was doing an LS1 swap out in his camaro when the used LS1 that he got through Henderson had crappy rings, massive consumption issues, Cory @ henderson got him a new motor and put it in, talk about service!!!

He also does AMSoil, when I told him about Cavender and the whole void your warrenty issue, he picked up the phone and called the SM there gave him a bunch of $hit, while I was there... was laughing my @$$ off. Apparently he knows all the SM's for GM cars in SA and they don't have any issues if he is doing the work.

Dr. Design
09-08-09, 12:10 PM
Hello,
SFI Approved Harmonic Balancer and Pulley

All of our components are built specifically for the 09 CTS-V. The balancer was build off of the same blueprints per the factory specs to ensure all the tolerances are kept in check. Also it weights 5 lbs. less than the factory pulley by removing excess material without compromising the integrity of the balancer through stress analysis testing in CAD. Install is about 6 hours and gains are verified at 3 psi (stick or auto).
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSV_Pulley_Intro_001.jpg

You can order direct or you can have your Cadillac dealership order it for you. As for tuning, you should be able to find someone local. There are many LS tuners out there. As for the tuning file, we can send you a base file to work from if need be. The pulley comes with everything you need for install (new belt, new crank pulley bolt, and all the hardware for the balancer).

Please let us know if you have any questions or need any additional information.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Has anyone tried this? They say it increases boost 3psi, and since it is a crank pulley, it should be a quick procedure (not a week waiting for the blower snout to come back).

Is this something that dealers would be willing to install? My guess is, even if they would, the tuning would have to be done elsewhere.

Maybe Hennessey or another tuner would install it and do the tune?

What do you guys think?

zr1vet
09-10-09, 08:36 PM
I'm a noob and can't grasp the pulley upgrade and dealership ordering and/or installing it. Isn't the pulley a modification? And therefore possibly void the warranty? Just trying to get things straight in the ole gray matter. Thanks.

Dr. Design
09-10-09, 09:07 PM
Some dealerships are into upgrades and will install your aftermarket components if requested. We often get referrals from dealerships for many stage 2 type modifications (i.e. boost upgrades). Usually it takes an understanding between the service adviser and the customer, as long as they are on the same page... It certainly doesn't mean that it will be covered under warranty if anything happens. But they can at least do the ordering and the install if you would like. Ultimately it all depends on your relationship with your service department. I hope all that clears it up a little bit as we certainly don't want to mislead anyone into thinking that additional boost won't void your engine warranty. Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I'm a noob and can't grasp the pulley upgrade and dealership ordering and/or installing it. Isn't the pulley a modification? And therefore possibly void the warranty? Just trying to get things straight in the ole gray matter. Thanks.

v10brat
09-18-09, 04:51 PM
I have an 09 CTSV with most of the basic bolt ons blower pulley , long tubes , Xpipe w/Hight flow cats ,air intake, intercooler upgrade and custom tune . I am running through the factory exhaust with an automatic car . I was curious if anyone has run the D3 Crank pulley along with the blower pulley ? Can the factory fuel system supply enoght fuel for this and how much boost before the blower becomes inefficient and it is too much boost .
I figure someone here has got to have done both pulleys .
Bill

Razorecko
09-18-09, 09:22 PM
D3 - where are those lowering springs :alchi:

nradcad
09-18-09, 10:11 PM
I have an 09 CTSV with most of the basic bolt ons blower pulley , long tubes , Xpipe w/Hight flow cats ,air intake, intercooler upgrade and custom tune . I am running through the factory exhaust with an automatic car . I was curious if anyone has run the D3 Crank pulley along with the blower pulley ? Can the factory fuel system supply enoght fuel for this and how much boost before the blower becomes inefficient and it is too much boost .
I figure someone here has got to have done both pulleys .
Bill

I know I harp on this, because I never get a straight answer. But I'm assuming the above upgrades have trashed your warrantee? If so, do you just not care? If the above upgrades haven't killed your warrantee, how not?

qictrk
09-18-09, 10:36 PM
I think that most all of us that put on equipment that ups the horsepower, know, that if something happens, its not going to be covered. If you don't want to take that chance, then don't do it. I know, if i blow a piston or the tranny goes, its on my pocketbook. Maybe some of you are real tight with your dealer and can get away with it, but you are the exception. Remember the saying, don't play if you can't pay. (I just made that one up, but its true). Cecil............:stirpot:

idoitforv
09-19-09, 03:28 PM
im pretty sure that saying has been around just not quite like that