: Just got off the phone with Cadillac Customer Care

NeedCTS-v
09-04-09, 01:31 PM
regarding the paint nightmare on my car, thanks to Covert Cadillac in Austin.

Since the service director now claims that there was no overspray on the car, that it was tree sap, there is nothing that GM can do. Simply put, his word over mine. It's not like a repair that they couldn't fix, but a perfect car that they damaged and now won't take responsibility for.

Welcome to the "New GM", well minus 1 customer.

I've been a GM owner for the last 20 years, this is the last car I will purchase from them.

4gear70
09-04-09, 01:36 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Did you take any pictures of the 'overspray' or 'tree sap' prior to your complaint to them?

RWFJR
09-04-09, 01:40 PM
Sounds like you got a bad dealership. No problems at Dew in St. Pete.

nynd
09-04-09, 01:43 PM
Can't you use the receipt from the other place you need to go to to get it detailed. Have them writing on the bill excessive overspray and send that to customer care and say why would I make that up?

NeedCTS-v
09-04-09, 01:59 PM
I have the walk through that I did with the service manager documenting a detailed walk through outlining not only areas of overspray (the entire car was covered) but also additional physical damage done to the car (interior panels, missing paint from drivers side door, etc.).

Since I got the car back the second time, more overspray was found (front facia, lower body panels/skirts) as well as damage to the headlamp washers (driver's side) and 3rd brake light.

I got a crap dealer but it is the fact that GM's audit of the situation went something like: Customer Care: "we have a customer complaint regarding excessive oversrpay". Dealership: "No you don't, customer is wrong, tree sap". Customer Care: "Okay". Customer Care: "sorry the dealer denies your claim, so we choose not to help you or look deeper into the problem". That's what pisses me off.

CtsVrod
09-04-09, 02:26 PM
Cadi Customer Service is nothing more than a time killer. They just wear you down to the point that you give up. Get a lawyer involved then see what happens.

NeedCTS-v
09-04-09, 02:39 PM
Cadi Customer Service is nothing more than a time killer. They just wear you down to the point that you give up. Get a lawyer involved then see what happens.

Considering that it was damage and not a failure to service, I'm thinking that my insurance company may also be able to help.

Hawkeye2
09-04-09, 02:40 PM
I think you need to calmly (hard to stay that way) escalate your situation to the next level. GM does care, you just need to find the right
person. If you need help finding a name, PM me. I have a contact at GM that may help.

Brian.

neuronbob
09-04-09, 03:07 PM
What a slimy service rep. We now know of another dealership to avoid. Lying to GM about a customer's claim ("tree sap"???) is awful. This is a dealer issue, not a GM/Cadillac issue. I would certainly be thinking about moving up the food chain at Cadillac, with lawyering up (hate to suggest it!) another option.

Myself, I would just move on to a better dealership and it sounds like that's the tack you are taking.

Ketzer
09-04-09, 03:09 PM
I think you need to calmly (hard to stay that way) escalate your situation to the next level. GM does care, you just need to find the right
person. If you need help finding a name, PM me. I have a contact at GM that may help.

Brian.

I wasted about two months trying that very thing. The higher you get, the more bothered they are and the less they care. I even pointed out to the guy from the VPs office (supposedly) that it was a simple thing that should have never gone past the dealership level... "and yet here I am talking to you."
They all had the same answer, If the dealer says it ain't his fault, it ain't.

Jeff-

commander112
09-04-09, 03:13 PM
My only contact with Cadillac customer service was back in 2006 after I smashed up our STS4. Customer service bent over backwards to get the backordered parts shipped directly to the dealer so that repairs could be made. GM picked up the tab on my STS rental and ate one month of lease payment on our car for the delay in repairs. Customer care was good enough that I bought three more Cadillacs since then. I'm sorry to read of your issues but I think if you pushed the right buttons and sent them the copies of the paperwork you have stating there was overspray they will back you, as the customer, up. Believe me they want to keep their customer's happy. As for the dealer, they deserve to be charged back for their mistakes and you obviously need to find a new dealer to work with.
I happen to work with a good dealer that has gone the extra mile to serve me. They have even taken on stuff that they claim the area rep has denied because they felt the repair should be made (on our XLR). Good luck!

wfo
09-04-09, 03:40 PM
Austin?...isn't there another Dealership?

NeedCTS-v
09-04-09, 04:46 PM
Austin?...isn't there another Dealership?

Nope. The next closest dealer is in San Antonio (1 + hours away). The next closest is Dallas and then Houston.

SlvrBullIT
09-04-09, 05:49 PM
Looks like Covert is out for me too then, don't go to Cavender in San Antonio where I got mine. Bought it they were all chippy and happy to work with me, afterwards.... WE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF USE NON-GM LABELED FLUIDS!!!!! Henderson performance gave them an earful.... The service guy who said that was named Sheppard. Looks like from the Caddy review page, Batchelor isn't any better....

neuronbob
09-04-09, 05:57 PM
Nope. The next closest dealer is in San Antonio (1 + hours away). The next closest is Dallas and then Houston.

There's really only one Caddy dealership in a big city like Austin? No wonder they get away with that behavior, no local competition.

I'm spoiled, in the Cleveland area, there are six dealerships to choose from.

NeedCTS-v
09-04-09, 06:13 PM
There's really only one Caddy dealership in a big city like Austin? No wonder they get away with that behavior, no local competition.

I'm spoiled, in the Cleveland area, there are six dealerships to choose from.

Honestly, their service was fantastic up to this point. Their paint shop however is lazy and incompetent and the service director clearly wanted me off his back after two rounds and 3 weeks of mistakes on the body shop’s part.

The fact that GM is not actually doing "anything", not even offering to replace the parts that are still damaged makes me very angry. Even my license plate and frame were bent. I cannot believe how careless the body shop was.

Anyway, after owning a Trans AM, a ZR1 & Two Z06s, I'm done with GM. Right now it feels a lot like the "New GM" is a lot like the old GM with amnesty through bankruptcy.

Sorry for the rant folks.

marktanner
09-04-09, 06:44 PM
My '08 CTS was at the body shop at the dealership for two damaged wheels. While there, the car became almost completely covered with overspray. After I discovered it and showed it to the shop, they apologized and arranged for the repair. They came to my office, dropped off the loaner, and when I got the car back it was waxed, and actually looked better than it did when new! That car was lt. platinum, and the paint was smoother, with more depth and shimmer, plus no swirl marks, either. While I wasn't initially pleased that it happened at all, the resolution was a breeze, and the car actually benefited from it. That's the difference between a good and bad dealer. I guess having competition doesn't hurt, either. Sorry you are having so many problems.

GM-4-LIFE
09-04-09, 06:59 PM

I agree!!!!

SG

digital1021
09-04-09, 07:12 PM
Hey man,

This sucks, I feel bad because I recommended the dealer to you based of my previous experiences. I have to say though, the body shop isn't what I had hoped it would be. I had my CTS-V repaired there and got it back on Wednesday. Now I am still of the opinion it should have been totaled, seeing as the rigidity of the car is noticeably less than new, but there are fitment issues with the doors, the sunroof make a horrible creaking vibration over any little bump, the inside of the rear door sill has bubbles in the paint, the V logo and GM logo arent straight. the rear finder isn't close to the same as the right side. There is a widening gap between the trunk and fender. Also, they replaced the rear wheel and tire, but the tire they put on was a 275/40r19 instead of a 285/35r19 from the factory. They keep the car for 4 days trying to figure out why its wasn't driving right. I was at the shop 20 minutes and realized the tire was too tall. So now I am driving around in a car that really isn't safe to drive, but the insurance company wouldn't extend the rental, and Covert Body Shop is getting a tire, from a company in San Antonio, so no telling how long that is going to take. I had originally thought they had done there best to repair the car until after a day I stated noticing what all was wrong. Maybe the body is just to torqued that the door are on as best they could be, but if thats the case, it should have been totaled.

So, I am really sorry that I had recommended them to you. I would say, if you haven't already, you might bring all this up to Kimberly Covert, she is the manager of the Cadillac Dealership, she might be interested in what your going trough. She had previously been more than interested in my satisfaction with the service I had received.

~Matt

CIWS
09-05-09, 08:46 AM
I have the walk through that I did with the service manager documenting a detailed walk through outlining not only areas of overspray (the entire car was covered) but also additional physical damage done to the car (interior panels, missing paint from drivers side door, etc.).

It would seem any professional paint / repair facility should be able to discern the difference between overspray and tree sap. So why not get an independent inspection performed on the car and if it shows there is overspray call Customer Service back and inform them you have had the car inspected by a 3rd party and a report showing that it is in fact overspray and not tree sap is in your possesion, and that you will be glad to e-mail / fax a copy to them to prove that the dealership has made a mistake. You simply want your car properly repaired and wish to be treated fairly. Give them a chance to run with that ball. If they still deny liability let them know you will be contacting legal representation with your evidence as well as the local news station with your story of the treatment by the only Cadillac dealership in Austin.

NeedCTS-v
09-05-09, 11:31 AM
Matt,

I can't believe that they didn't total the car! If the car is as tweaked as you describe wouldn't that indidcate frame damage? If the frame is straight, they should be able to get the rest of the car alligned.

Don't feel bad for recommending the dealer to me. Where else was I going to go? Adam in their service department has always been awesome to deal with, but I'd seriously question the body shops ability to perform quality work at all. Have you talked to the dealership or your insurance company regarding all of the problems with the car since the repair? I'd be curious to see what the dealer says about the repair.

In any event, I'm really sorry about your car. That situation is far worse than mine.

Hey man,

This sucks, I feel bad because I recommended the dealer to you based of my previous experiences. I have to say though, the body shop isn't what I had hoped it would be. I had my CTS-V repaired there and got it back on Wednesday. Now I am still of the opinion it should have been totaled, seeing as the rigidity of the car is noticeably less than new, but there are fitment issues with the doors, the sunroof make a horrible creaking vibration over any little bump, the inside of the rear door sill has bubbles in the paint, the V logo and GM logo arent straight. the rear finder isn't close to the same as the right side. There is a widening gap between the trunk and fender. Also, they replaced the rear wheel and tire, but the tire they put on was a 275/40r19 instead of a 285/35r19 from the factory. They keep the car for 4 days trying to figure out why its wasn't driving right. I was at the shop 20 minutes and realized the tire was too tall. So now I am driving around in a car that really isn't safe to drive, but the insurance company wouldn't extend the rental, and Covert Body Shop is getting a tire, from a company in San Antonio, so no telling how long that is going to take. I had originally thought they had done there best to repair the car until after a day I stated noticing what all was wrong. Maybe the body is just to torqued that the door are on as best they could be, but if thats the case, it should have been totaled.

So, I am really sorry that I had recommended them to you. I would say, if you haven't already, you might bring all this up to Kimberly Covert, she is the manager of the Cadillac Dealership, she might be interested in what your going trough. She had previously been more than interested in my satisfaction with the service I had received.

~Matt

marktanner
09-05-09, 12:06 PM
Matt, I really feel bad for you and your situation. It totally sucks, having a practically brand new expensive car that is improperly repaired, unsafe, and now practically worthless. I hate to say this, but you probably need a good lawyer at this point, unless the insurance company has a rapid change of heart. You also need to get the alignment assessed by a good shop, to document the damage to the monocoque (unibody cars don't have frames). I'd demand the bodyshop get you a loaner until at least the correct tire is on the car, since that is an obvious problem that they created, and can seriously degrade the performance of the Stabilitrak, ABS, and traction control, not to mention obvious things like handling and directional stability. Since that part of the car isn't in spec, there is no way to deny that there could be safety issues. Good luck.

digital1021
09-05-09, 07:44 PM
Thank you both, I didn't mean to hijack the tread.

Currently I am waiting on the insurance company to send by an inspector to verify the car was repaired to "industry standards"(swear I am tired of hearing that phrase). Once that happens they will assess the diminished value of the car, which I am sure will be less than satisfactory. At which point I will be getting the best insurance layer I can find, despite everything I hate having to sue for something that should have been taken care of right the first time.

I realize that a unibody car doesn't have a frame, but i was at a loss of words to describe what was damaged and replaced. As for the tire, I wouldn't let anyone drive the car besides my self at this point. Under light acceleration the car will push to the right, god help you if you give it any gas, it will try and jump over a lane. I have a feeling it is doing a bit of damage to the limited slip, seeing as it is always in a "slip" condition at the moment. It is also apparently bad enough that stabilitrac will reset its self after about 1/4 mile if you have the car in any mode besides all on. I found this out today trying to see how badly things were effected.

Oh, and trust me, I will be talking to Kimberly about my experience at their body shop. My family and I have done business with the coverts for over 40 years, and their family were customer's of my grandfather back when he had a jewelry store. Its saddening that this experience has made me reconsider giving my business to them when I purchase my next car.

~ Matt

P.S. I will try to update my old tread with more information as it becomes available in the future.

MReiland
09-05-09, 08:21 PM
I do truely hope that your cars get repaired correctly. I have had decent quality work done on my black cars in the past at the dealers up here in MI. I think Cadillac Customer Care should be more responsive, I hope that you can contact them back. Unfortunately a bad dealership experience for the general public is automatically matched to GM itself being the culprit and this usually isn't the case.

NeedCTS-v
09-06-09, 11:35 AM
I do truely hope that your cars get repaired correctly. I have had decent quality work done on my black cars in the past at the dealers up here in MI. I think Cadillac Customer Care should be more responsive, I hope that you can contact them back. Unfortunately a bad dealership experience for the general public is automatically matched to GM itself being the culprit and this usually isn't the case.

I want to be clear that I don't think that GM is a bad company, certainly not based on a single dealer experience. I believe that GM is a great company and in my humble opinion builds the best cars in America, and some of the best in the world. The CTS-V is the best car that I've ever owned.

Unfortunately the dealer network IS the primary liaison between the consumer and the company. It is the dealer that convinces the consumer to consume its products, it is the dealer that is responsible for protecting the consumer's purchase and ultimately is responsible for maintaining brand integrity.

Here's the problem...When then the closest thing to a consumer advocate outside of the dealer network (Customer Care) simply chooses to default the position of the dealership and determines that the consumer is wrong without a detailed investigation, the consumer simply becomes helpless. The net effect is that the company and the brand have become "unsafe" for consumption.

While I believe that GM is great for many reasons, I do not think that I should be afraid to go to the local dealer for service on my new car and I do not think that I should have to shop around a network of dealerships hoping that I win the service lottery, and find a good one. The reality is, if the consumer cannot communicate directly with the company when things go wrong, then these dealerships, good or bad, are acting as, or on behalf of the company. GM does have an obligation to "enforce" work product standards and practices on these dealerships, as well as be responsive to claims of substandard work by the consumer.

Please note that none of this is pointed at you or intended in any way to disrespectful of you in any way. I completely respect and am in awe of the work that you and your colleagues do. I hope that nothing that I said here was offensive.

MReiland
09-06-09, 08:56 PM
Absolutely no offense taken NeedCTS-v, I am torn in the middle on the argument because yes the dealer is the interface to the customer and they can make or break the brand image, customer enthusiasm, everything, but at the same time they are their own entity separate from GM. There are absolutely fantastic dealers out there all over. (Many on this board even) When I had my last CTS, if it ever went in and had to stay out overnight, I always recieved a NICE Cadillac as a loaner, and the job, for me, was always done right. I have heard stories of exactly the opposite and it is troubling, especially on a very expensive vehicle like you all have here. One interesting note is that there are different people on the Cadillac Customer Service line also. I have had more than one forum member get a much better response simply by calling back later in the day or the next day, persistance and calling back the CCS can also pay off. I have never taken an answer I didn't like from someone on the phone as the end all. If all else fails there are definately other avenues to take. Also, make sure you make it clear to the Service Manager that this fiasco will mean the lowest scores possible on the Customer Survey, which will usually prompt Cadillac to contact you also. Many people don't think that it matters, but that survey was one of the decision makers for many of the dealers losing their franchise agreement.

thebigjimsho
09-07-09, 10:57 AM
It would seem any professional paint / repair facility should be able to discern the difference between overspray and tree sap. So why not get an independent inspection performed on the car and if it shows there is overspray call Customer Service back and inform them you have had the car inspected by a 3rd party and a report showing that it is in fact overspray and not tree sap is in your possesion, and that you will be glad to e-mail / fax a copy to them to prove that the dealership has made a mistake. You simply want your car properly repaired and wish to be treated fairly. Give them a chance to run with that ball. If they still deny liability let them know you will be contacting legal representation with your evidence as well as the local news station with your story of the treatment by the only Cadillac dealership in Austin.
As I'm going through every response, I'm surprised it took this long until Matt brings out the sensible argument again.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure the difference between overspray and tree sap. Find some decent body shops, get a few estimates and re-try with Cadillac Customer Service.

Ketzer
09-07-09, 11:58 AM
I want to be clear that I don't think that GM is a bad company, certainly not based on a single dealer experience. I believe that GM is a great company and in my humble opinion builds the best cars in America, and some of the best in the world. The CTS-V is the best car that I've ever owned.
When then the closest thing to a consumer advocate outside of the dealer network (Customer Care) simply chooses to default the position of the dealership and determines that the consumer is wrong without a detailed investigation, the consumer simply becomes helpless. The net effect is that the company and the brand have become "unsafe" for consumption.

While I believe that GM is great for many reasons, I do not think that I should be afraid to go to the local dealer for service on my new car and I do not think that I should have to shop around a network of dealerships hoping that I win the service lottery, and find a good one. The reality is, if the consumer cannot communicate directly with the company when things go wrong, then these dealerships, good or bad, are acting as, or on behalf of the company. GM does have an obligation to "enforce" work product standards and practices on these dealerships, as well as be responsive to claims of substandard work by the consumer.

Echoes my sentiment EXACTLY!
I love my car. Incredible piece of machinery.
My dealership service (sic) experience and subsequent corporate experience were less than stellar. Absolutely no one cared regardless of what documentation I provided or outside proof was shown.

Jeff-

Flavoade
09-12-09, 02:39 AM
I would have left it alone until it became an actual problem(Such as the primer fully showing), then I would have taken pictures of it for reference, before taking it in.

If you want your car fixed, bring it over to Duplessis Cadillac in Baton Rouge. They are the best. Fixed my CTS up better than new after an accident with moderate damage. One cannot even tell that it was driven under a work van.

thebigjimsho
09-12-09, 11:29 AM
You shouldn't drive under a work van...

NeedCTS-v
10-08-09, 07:28 PM
Sorry for the thread resurrection but I thought I would provide an update as I think my situation is now resolved.

After communicating with with Cadillac Customer Care for almost two months and getting almost nowhere, I contacted the Customer Service Director at Covert (Sherry) based on the recommendation of my service manager Adam (who's always been fantastic to deal with). Maybe I should have done this from the start...My mistake.

Sherry actually took some initiative and communicated with Covert management, investigated my claims, not just with the Service Director, but also Adam and the body shop managers. Basically it sounds like she raised a bunch of hell. Within two days of my initial call with her I had a face to face appointments with the dealership management. When I got there there was around 8 people waiting to meet with me, go over my car and investigate ways to make things right. Included in this group was the Sr. Manager for the body shop. This took place a about a week ago. Side note: At no point in time was the Service Director included in these meetings or discussions.

After going through the car, the body shop manager offered to fix all of the damaged parts, re-clay the car and apply a de-swirling compound to get rid of the buffing swirls. With this, I agreed because this is all that was really required in the first place. We arranged for me to drop my car off at the body shop one last time, that it would be a one day service and a loaner would be waiting for me. This morning I dropped it off and this afternoon I picked it up.

Results: The car looks fantastic! Covert demonstrated enormous attention to detail. All of the repairs seem to be done perfectly, the paint looks as good, if not better than new. They even cleaned the interior.

I'm happy. I called Sherry and thanked her for all of her assistance in this. She really made things happen.

On a side note, I continued to get calls from Customer Care saying that there was nothing that they or the dealership could do...They were surprised to hear that I had contacted Sherry and that the dealership was taking steps to make things right. As it turns out, Cadillac Customer Care NEVER contacted Customer Service or Management at the dealership, only the prick service director who was at the center this whole nightmare in the first place (well it was him and the body shop of course).

In retrospect I should have dealt with Covert's management in the first place or at least given them a chance. This has certainly been a learning experience for me. Despite the hardship, Covert has managed to win my business back thanks to a couple of individuals who seem to genuinely care about the customer and running a good business.

Faith restored.

Hawkeye2
10-08-09, 07:40 PM
Glad it has a happy ending. Always seems to end up with a human being having to do what is right!

Gary Wells
10-08-09, 08:14 PM
I, too, am glad that this had a happy ending. I am sure that this was very frustrating for you to go through and I am happy that both you and the car came out OK. Plus, now you might have some friends at that *dealership* and now can bring in your car to them with a little less trepidation. Congratulations on your PR work.

NeedCTS-v
10-08-09, 08:24 PM
I, too, am glad that this had a happy ending. I am sure that this was very frustrating for you to go through and I am happy that both you and the car came out OK. Plus, now you might have some friends at that *dealership* and now can bring in your car to them with a little less trepidation. Congratulations on your PR work.

Thanks Gary!

It's funny you say this because last week I gave a bottle of 21yo scotch to the service manager Adam (regardless of outcome this week) because he had been so good to me even though he was caught in the middle of a bad situation.

He looked like he was going to cry. He said that I was the first person to ever give him any sort of gift. If nothing else, it certainly made me feel good to help make what must have been a stressful day for him better.

Gary Wells
10-08-09, 09:16 PM
Thanks Gary!

It's funny you say this because last week I gave a bottle of 21yo scotch to the service manager Adam (regardless of outcome this week) because he had been so good to me even though he was caught in the middle of a bad situation.

He looked like he was going to cry. He said that I was the first person to ever give him any sort of gift. If nothing else, it certainly made me feel good to help make what must have been a stressful day for him better.

I take it this 21 YO Scotch was blonde, about 5'7", maybe 105 lbs?

Ok, I think that I am going to cry now. What kind of Scotch? What brand?
Spill the beans here. Interested parties want to know.

CIWS
10-09-09, 08:47 AM
Good to hear you and your car got taken care of finally. :thumbsup:

RWFJR
10-09-09, 10:58 AM

Hell with the car or the booze...Now I'm crying!:heart:

NeedCTS-v
10-09-09, 11:08 AM

I got him a bottle of Glenfiddich 21, nothing too crazy. It was a toss up between that and the Macallan 18.

Gary Wells
10-09-09, 12:49 PM
For a friend= Glenfiddich 21, for myself= Macallan 18. If I bought a bottle of Maqcallan 18 for a friend, it would never make it to their house. Bunnahabbahain is also an exceptional choice, but very difficult to find. Long live the single malt scotches.

NeedCTS-v
10-09-09, 01:55 PM
Bunnahabbahain is also an exceptional choice, but very difficult to find.

Thanks for the tip! :cool:

GM-4-LIFE
10-09-09, 03:33 PM
NeedCTS-v,

WOW! That is great that she did all that for you! I guess you have to side step the idiots that just don't care about customer service and go to the ones that really care about their customers.

SG

Kadonny
10-09-09, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the tip! :cool:

Bah, go right for the Laphroaig 15 year. Best single malt for the money hands down.

Mike 09 V
10-10-09, 11:06 AM
2cents worth-Your problems came right in the middle of the bankruptcy situation for GM and likely the dealerships, all their employees, and all the GM people were scared shi--less about their jobs, families et al and likely were doing everything possible to keep costs down. Once the situation resolved and it looks like the economy is getting a little better, things are loosening up. Or maybe you just ran into some pricks. Glad you got things solved OK.