: AC crapped out in 68 Fleetwood

68naz
07-27-04, 05:59 PM
Well, it finally happened...I'm driving along running errands (daily driver car) and after the first few miles from my house, the AC quits blowing through the vents. Now this is Phoenix, Az and it's 105 degrees when this happens. When I get back to the house, I check a few things out. When I engage the switch on the climate control, the clutch on the compressor engages as well, but nothing comes out of the vents. It was all working fine until I cleaned the engine that same morning with degreaser and a hose. Could this be related somehow? The motor only has 68,000 miles on her.

68naz
07-27-04, 09:10 PM
I went and purchased a blower motor from Autozone and put it in. Thinking that this was the logical fix. Well, it still doesn't work. Any help?

Imprl59
07-28-04, 11:43 AM
Have you checked the voltage at the blower motor to see if there is any power there? The system uses vacuum motors to control the ducts and fan speed so check to see if you damaged the vacuum line that feeds the system.

Steve B.

68naz
07-29-04, 11:28 PM
Vacuum lines are ok and when I tested the blower motor for power, I got nothing. So I'm taking a stab in the dark here and ordered a new blower relay in hopes that solves it. Should find out tommorrow.

Imprl59
07-30-04, 12:00 PM
Why take a stab in the dark when you can easily test the components to see if they work before replacing them? If you don't know how to test them we would be glad to help you with it. You should have a 12v supply and a 12v signal at the relay (if the a/c is on). If you have both of those jump the relay and see if the fan comes on.

Steve B.

68naz
07-30-04, 12:24 PM
The relay has three wires into it. How do I know which one is the power wire to test? Or do I just check all of them for power?

68naz
07-30-04, 07:37 PM
I fixed it! It was the blower relay. And also now that I replaced the blower motor as well, it works twice as good. I can even feel air from the side vents now and not just the center vent!

Imprl59
07-31-04, 12:33 PM
I fixed it! It was the blower relay. And also now that I replaced the blower motor as well, it works twice as good. I can even feel air from the side vents now and not just the center vent!

Great! Glad you got it working and thanks for letting us know what it was. Thats always a help to future people searching for answers here.

Steve B.