: Deer 1, STS-V 0

ssstealth
09-03-09, 09:42 PM
Well, one of them blasted things finally got me. I was driving home at 4:00 in the broad ass daylight when a small deer came across in front of me from left to right at full speed. I was at about 50 mph when I saw a tan streak in front of me and slammed the brakes. By the time my foot got to the pedal he had already clipped the right front corner... THUD!

I pulled over immediately and went to check on the deer... no trace. He probably never even missed a step. I expected to see the whole front of the car caved in based on how loud the impact was. It actually took me a few seconds to find the damage at all.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/STS-V/deer/P1010002.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/STS-V/deer/P1010003.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/STS-V/deer/P1010004.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/STS-V/deer/P1010005.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/STS-V/deer/P1010006.jpg

In these shots I had already cleaned the fur and debris off of the bumper. There is a crack in the headlight and a small dent in the fender. The force did buckle the fender at about the 11 o'clock position of the wheel well.

thebigjimsho
09-04-09, 12:35 AM
DAMMIT! I should've hit it. Your V looks considerably better than mine...

Florian
09-04-09, 01:54 AM
Id call it a tie....his ass will be sore for weeks....

A body shop can pull that out no problem.

F

freshchops
09-04-09, 04:17 AM
Not bad considering 50 MPH. I'm glad for you, that's all. Some people end up in oncoming lanes or trees because of those crazy little kamikaze bastards. You did good. For the record, I'm pretty sure your V can outrun a young deer.... oh well, next time!

CIWS
09-04-09, 08:29 AM
Always sucks to see a nice car that gets damaged, sorry for you troubles. On the fortunate side, the damage doesn't look too bad and no human was hurt.

It did less damage than the guy that hit me. ;)

ssstealth
09-04-09, 09:23 AM
Thanks, there was certainly no hero driving involved here. There was simply no time to do anything stupid. The damage being semi-trivial actually adds to the complexity of the fix. The quotes for repair have been in the $1500 range. Now I know from shopping around that I can get a used headlight and a pre-painted fender for about $500 which as luck would have it is the same as my deductable. I have been reassured by my agent that an animal hit is not chargable for rate increases and that the percentage of dollar damage to car value will not hit a threshold to warrant a carfax hit.

dhemrick
09-04-09, 05:01 PM
Damn, Bill. That sucks. I'm glad there was no more damage and you didn't get hurt. I swear that NC is one of the worst places I have ever heard of for deer related collisions. They're like freakin' rats in this state.

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-04-09, 05:24 PM
I can picture Bambi spinning on the ice with all four legs out. This is what the people behind you must have seen. A deer spinning in the air with all four legs out like a frisbee...

Berger 93
09-04-09, 05:33 PM
Glad to see minor damage . . . still stinks . . . . glad every one is OK . . . You car is a near twin of mine . . . right down to the POS Goodyear Eagle A/S . . . :)

ssstealth
09-04-09, 05:47 PM
Glad to see minor damage . . . still stinks . . . . glad every one is OK . . . You car is a near twin of mine . . . right down to the POS Goodyear Eagle A/S . . . :)

What was that??? I can't hear you over the roar of my POS tires!!!

thebigjimsho
09-05-09, 02:28 PM
Damn, Bill. That sucks. I'm glad there was no more damage and you didn't get hurt. I swear that NC is one of the worst places I have ever heard of for deer related collisions. They're like freakin' rats in this state.
WV is right up there...

She-V
09-05-09, 05:29 PM

I drive through parts of three counties on my way to and from work. I do believe that every deer, in all three counties is watching me, every trip.

And, if they aren't, it sure seems like it! :eek:

Sorry about the mishap. Glad no one was injured.

ssstealth
09-05-09, 08:56 PM
That little bastartd (or one of his friends) just tried to get me again. I was about a quarter mile before the previous hit area and one ran right up to the car and then stopped. I got stopped also and after a breif staredown, he turned and ran. I think I am going to have to take a new way home until hunting season.

silverws6ta
09-05-09, 11:49 PM
That little bastartd (or one of his friends) just tried to get me again. I was about a quarter mile before the previous hit area and one ran right up to the car and then stopped. I got stopped also and after a breif staredown, he turned and ran. I think I am going to have to take a new way home until hunting season.

Do you travel 77 or 40 a lot? I was on 77 this week heading back and forth from VA and noticed several 'remnants' in the Statesville - N. to Mt. Airy area.

Then behind the hotel in Wytheville (which is between 77 and 81) there was numerous doe and fawns out in the afternoons.. Which I found strange for them to be so confined between those two interstates.

ssstealth
09-05-09, 11:58 PM
Oh yes, very familiar with that area. The worst this year though was HWY 150 going from VA west to WV. It was about 10-Midnight and I saw at least a hundred in that 2 hour stretch. I was a nervous wreck. Every foggy mountain turn I came out of had another half dozen standing in the road. That was company car though so no worries.

dhemrick
09-06-09, 11:59 AM
Do you travel 77 or 40 a lot? I was on 77 this week heading back and forth from VA and noticed several 'remnants' in the Statesville - N. to Mt. Airy area.

Then behind the hotel in Wytheville (which is between 77 and 81) there was numerous doe and fawns out in the afternoons.. Which I found strange for them to be so confined between those two interstates.

That's the exact area where I was raised! I was born in Statesville (intersection of I-40 and I-77) and raised in Yadkin County (intersection of US-421 and I-77).

In fact, my first deer incident happened just north of US-421 on I-77 southbound back in 1993. I hit a large buck at about 80 MPH in my brand new 1993 Nissan Maxima. It did about $5000 in damage which was about 25% of the value of the car at the time. Fortunately, no one got hurt, but the car was a mess.

Ever since then, I have been really wary of deer.

Blades
09-07-09, 04:32 AM
I remember seeing pictures of a 2003 Cobra that hit a deer at about 150-160mph. It tore the roof off the car.. The owner was ok in the medical/physical department.. The deer was not.. nor was the car. When I saw the thread of the title, I was expecting similar carnage.. Good to see that the car still has its roof and you are able to type things.. Did you turn around and kick the deer in the ribs (even if it was dead)? What if you had your arm out the window? Deer are almost as annoying as birds.. almost.

dhemrick
09-07-09, 11:35 AM
Did you turn around and kick the deer in the ribs (even if it was dead)?

That makes me think... I remember when I hit the deer, I happened to be listening to a Sam Kinison comedy tape, and when I got out of the car, I went over to the deceased deer and yelled Kinison-style "You wrecked my car! AOOOOO! AOOOOOO!!!"

thebigjimsho
09-07-09, 03:12 PM
Or you could just miss the deer...

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22420019/372152449.jpg

ssstealth
10-03-09, 10:16 AM
How did your insurance company handle the "deer miss"?. They told me that because I had impact with an animal that it was a non-chargable accident and that my rates would not be affected. I pick mine up from the body shop today... freshly painted hood, bumper, and the affected fender.

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-03-09, 08:17 PM
You might want to take the #3 off the windshield from track day before you try ot "CLAIM" near Deer miss.... ;-)

thebigjimsho
10-04-09, 06:09 PM
How did your insurance company handle the "deer miss"?. They told me that because I had impact with an animal that it was a non-chargable accident and that my rates would not be affected. I pick mine up from the body shop today... freshly painted hood, bumper, and the affected fender.
I sent in the form explaining why I shouldn't be responsible for the accident and how it was either hit or avoid the deer, with either going to cause damage. Haven't heard about that yet...

thebigjimsho
10-04-09, 06:13 PM
You might want to take the #3 off the windshield from track day before you try ot "CLAIM" near Deer miss.... ;-)
I'll take that as a joke.

That number is a registration # from the National SHO Owners Convention a few weeks before the incident. I don't know of any tracks within close vicinity of Huntington, WV. And I have a couple hundred feet of cable median barrier to show for it...plus shrapnel and fluids, etc...

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-04-09, 10:55 PM
It was a joke...

I saw a brand new boxter S hit the wall at Road Atlanta head on and bounce off just to back into another wall. All that was left was the cabin. It left on a flat bed with the track day numbers still ont it. Kind of put a damper on the rest of the day for all of us.