: ECM tuning for Catera?

WGoins88
09-03-09, 08:34 AM
Hey guys I am curious.... is there any ECM tuning available for the Catera? I know when I owned a 3800 powered car that it was readily available, but is there anything available for these? Thanks!

elvin315
09-03-09, 02:48 PM
The answer is no. You might see "chips" on ebay or elsewhere claiming to boost Catera performance but they are phonies. And don't buy the performance chips for the Omega either. The two ECUs are vastly different and the chips won't fit our ECU.

The only engine mods are induction kits like K&N or free-flow exhaust cans. I run stock exhaust but others can tell you what they use.

CateraMV6
09-04-09, 12:46 AM
I got a new ECU for the Catera hoping that I can use the european ECU but then I found out that the US Catera had to pass different emissions so as a result they redid the programing and they used some sort of KWP 2000 or something like that... the european system is CAN ...

earthsandwich
11-27-09, 09:49 PM
couldnt you just swap the whole computer set up with an omegas? i am also very curious. there has got to be somethins similar to an hp tuner setup that will work. could a dealer reprogram it for you?

elvin315
11-28-09, 10:08 AM
couldnt you just swap the whole computer set up with an omegas? i am also very curious. there has got to be somethins similar to an hp tuner setup that will work. could a dealer reprogram it for you?

How much are you willing to spend to regain the lost 10 HP Cadillac stole from us? Forget about dealers. They don't do unapproved performance upgrades. You'd probably have to do it yourself and change the ecm, ebtcm, and the corresponding wiring harnesses.

fuzzkill
11-28-09, 11:35 AM
Dealers can't edit the PCM files anyway, they can only flash files on and off of the unit.

earthsandwich
11-28-09, 11:47 AM
i wonder what steinmetz used when they built the supercharge kit to modify the fuel delivery?

CateraMV6
11-28-09, 12:06 PM
That Steinmetz Catera was actually a full blown Opel OMEGA with EUROPEAN ECU whcih can be tuned wtih the chips that they have developed there over the years.

That car was scrapped and sold in bits, with the body being smashed to pieces... due to the fact that it didnt meet our crash safety standards. Person who bought it was hoping he can drive it but as you can see that didn't happen.

As far as swapping a EURO ECU you have to first buy one then figure out a way to sync the ignition system with the ECU so that your key can start the car and at that you will know if it works or not...

I bet it wont work..
GM spent a ton of money to convert it the KWP2000 when they brought it here.

Either way good luck with the upgrade.

earthsandwich
11-28-09, 01:33 PM
it seems like the 3.0 would have tons of hp potential, it looks almost like an ls1 with 2 cyl missing sorta the way a 4.3 is to a 5.7. the 4.3s were good motors and had lots of potential and they were ohv motors. it just seems like a disappointment that no one makes some sport of programmer. what about a dyno shop, dont they have software similar to an hptuner? just a thought!

elvin315
11-29-09, 03:58 AM
Guys, you're beating a dead horse. In the States this engine was used only in the Catera, Saturn (LS series & Vue), and some Saabs. Too small a market to spend the development time & money. It was different in GB. The Omegas sold in large quantities. If you're serious check out Jenvey's induction kits there. I would think, electronicswise, the changes would be few.
click
http://www.jenvey.co.uk/Imgs/Kits/V06.jpg (http://www.jenvey.co.uk/)

Read this thread for other V6 ideas. Or you could drop in a V8 like others are.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/127732-rebuilding-catera-v6-more-power.html