: Uhh...Hood unlatched while driving.

nradcad
09-01-09, 07:53 PM
So I was driving around today at about 50mph and all of I sudden I hear a click and then a warning message went off that said my hood was open. Does the hood have an electronic latch or come unlatched easily? Anyone heard of something like this? Now I'm scared to drive fast, which isn't good for this car.

thebigjimsho
09-01-09, 08:22 PM
I would guess that the last time it was closed it didn't latch and the wind popped it up. It's mechanical, it's either closed or it's not. Bring it to the dealer to check. And then see if you do anything that maybe brushes near the hood latch...

nynd
09-01-09, 08:45 PM
Spray some lube on it.. (WD40) or something.. its probably the latch was sticky and didn't completely close. I've had this happen on another car. Spraying it made it work fine.

thatcoder
09-01-09, 08:45 PM
try closing your hood. must not have been closed.

commander112
09-01-09, 09:13 PM
Close the hood and drive around. Don't go rushing to the dealer just yet. It was probably just not latched all the way down. The safety latch will keep the hood from flying off even if the main latch is not catching completely.

Mark

nradcad
09-01-09, 09:37 PM
I'm not headed to the dealer. My first concern was if there was an electronic hood release I didn't know about that may have released the hood. I do think I had it closed, but maybe it was all the way down.

62Jeff
09-01-09, 09:51 PM
Just be aware the hood is aluminum, so if you try to close it with more force, consider that before leaving hand-dents in the hood :ill:

I close mine by letting it drop from about 18-24", so that I'm not pressing on the hood to close it.

Gary Wells
09-01-09, 10:15 PM
Not passing judgement, but I have been told that these hoods were plastic. If they were aluminum, they would be dented all to often. And too easy. A hood made out of aluminum would be pretty pricey, are you sure about that.

thebigjimsho
09-01-09, 10:17 PM
Not passing judgement, but I have been told that these hoods were plastic. If they were aluminum, they would be dented all to often. And too easy. A hood made out of aluminum would be pretty pricey, are you sure about that.
The V1's hoods are aluminum. I'm guessing these are too...

62Jeff
09-01-09, 10:34 PM

Hi Gary, yes I'm sure
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/08q1/2009_cadillac_cts-v-car_news

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/100805.html

http://www.myride.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/6297

http://carincare.blogspot.com/2008/09/2009-cadillac-cts-v-road-test.html

for a few different reviews mentioning the hood.

thatcoder
09-01-09, 10:41 PM
my 2008 esv's hood is aluminum as well, and one dumb detailer put a dent in it by slamming it straight down. had to get it to the body shop and spend $600 to get it repaired.

Gary Wells
09-02-09, 06:05 AM
Oops, my bad, I've had several people tell me that they were plastic / composite. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be more careful with mine.

MReiland
09-02-09, 07:03 AM
So I was driving around today at about 50mph and all of I sudden I hear a click and then a warning message went off that said my hood was open. Does the hood have an electronic latch or come unlatched easily? Anyone heard of something like this? Now I'm scared to drive fast, which isn't good for this car.

Had it once on my wifes Outlook after an oil change, the hood seemed closed but the latch wasn't fully engaged. I opened it up and dropped it closed (from about 14") and never had the problem again, the hood switch is pretty sensitive, I believe it is also used in the theft alarm to detect someone trying to open the hood.

neuronbob
09-02-09, 06:41 PM

DEFINITELY not plastic.

Watch this video, previously posted in this forum, in which they mention the aluminum hood. Straight from the source....Caddy itself.

YouTube - The Making of the CTS-V Hood

Barry626
09-03-09, 12:13 AM
I would guess that the last time it was closed it didn't latch and the wind popped it up. It's mechanical, it's either closed or it's not. Bring it to the dealer to check. And then see if you do anything that maybe brushes near the hood latch...

:thumbsup:

Barry626
09-03-09, 12:17 AM
Oops, my bad, I've had several people tell me that they were plastic / composite. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be more careful with mine.

I'm also under impression it's plastic @ least my dealer sure thinks so!

Glad to see youtube video & see it's not so & it's aluminum.

thebigjimsho
09-03-09, 08:57 AM
I'm also under impression it's plastic @ least my dealer sure thinks so!

Glad to see youtube video & see it's not so & it's aluminum.
It's why I never did a cowl hood on my V1. They're fiberglass and they ADD weight to the vehicle weight vs aluminum...