: Just FYI on V2 Wheel Alignment

RWFJR
09-01-09, 02:52 PM
Took my V2 to Dew Cadi today for a schedule 1 maintenance. I spoke to my service advisor whom I have known for about 25 years. Told him about some of the info I had obtained on THIS FORUM about different problems and solutions with the V2.

I also told him about a small "wheel hop" I had when backing and turning. I suggested that the car needs a wheel alignment. He stated that he woud try to get me a free one seeing that they have to charge after 2500 miles. I have 7500.

Turns out after the lazer alignment that my car had been previously set to CTS specifications :tisk: and NOT a CTS V2 which is a whole different footprint.

No charge for the alignment... :)

neuronbob
09-01-09, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Yet another thing to think of when going in for service.....is it possible for you to post the alignment numbers so we have an idea of correct spec? (e.g. did they hand you a sheet with your specs on it?)

RWFJR
09-01-09, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Yet another thing to think of when going in for service.....is it possible for you to post the alignment numbers so we have an idea of correct spec? (e.g. did they hand you a sheet with your specs on it?)

Sorry...No numbers.

GM-4-LIFE
09-02-09, 03:07 PM
Dealer has aligned my car at least 3-4 times starting at 500 miles when the car was new. They showed me CTS-V factory specs and my car is dead on, but the steering wheel has NEVER been straight. It is always cocked to the right a bit. If I hold the wheel perfectly straight and aligned with the steering column, the car wants to go left.

They still haven't been able to fix this issue and I have told GM about the issue when I filed case with Cadillac customer assistance center about the clicking wheel issue.

Don't know what they plan on doing, but it is annoying to always see the steering wheel pointing to the right no matter what the road conditions are.

SG

RWFJR
09-02-09, 04:14 PM
Dealer has aligned my car at least 3-4 times starting at 500 miles when the car was new. They showed me CTS-V factory specs and my car is dead on, but the steering wheel has NEVER been straight. It is always cocked to the right a bit. If I hold the wheel perfectly straight and aligned with the steering column, the car wants to go left.

They still haven't been able to fix this issue and I have told GM about the issue when I filed case with Cadillac customer assistance center about the clicking wheel issue.

Don't know what they plan on doing, but it is annoying to always see the steering wheel pointing to the right no matter what the road conditions are.

SG

Sorry to hear that AERO1. My dealer for the past 20 years and 45 with my family has been Dew Cadi in St. Petersburg, FL. I get a call from my sales person about once a month seeing if everything is OK. The service could not be better. If you have another cadi dealer close by, you might consider changing. I just can not imagine being treated like that, ESPECIALLY a V2 owner!!! :want:

GM-4-LIFE
09-02-09, 04:32 PM
Sorry to hear that AERO1. My dealer for the past 20 years and 45 with my family has been Dew Cadi in St. Petersburg, FL. I get a call from my sales person about once a month seeing if everything is OK. The service could not be better. If you have another cadi dealer close by, you might consider changing. I just can not imagine being treated like that, ESPECIALLY a V2 owner!!! :want:

The servicing dealer has been really good to me. I can't ask for better service. They are always awesome to deal with and the service manager himself gave me his personal cell number if I ever need anything.

It's not the servicing dealership's fault GM built a lemon for me to drive.

SG

Hawkeye2
09-02-09, 04:33 PM

SG

They just have to learn how to center the steering wheel. Has nothing to do with the alignment!

GM-4-LIFE
09-02-09, 05:01 PM
They just have to learn how to center the steering wheel. Has nothing to do with the alignment!

Don't they have to center the steering wheel when they have the car on the alignment rack and then adjust everything?

SG

Hawkeye2
09-02-09, 05:41 PM
Yes, you line up the car so it perfectly straight using the laser, then loosen the steering linkage at the box, center the wheel, then tighten.

I've had a shop to do it for me several times with different cars, like you I want it straight. They get it done while I wait. Usually just a few
minutes. I take to it "Alchin Brake and Steering" they specialize in that.

nc09v2
09-02-09, 11:01 PM
The only problem I had with my car was that it was delivered out of alignment. Steering was cocked to the left a bit when going straight ahead, I had shimmy on the highway, and the car wandered left/right considerably with any type of road crown.

I bought my car from a small town dealer about an hour away, so took it in to Hendrick Cadillac in Cary NC at about 500 miles. They worked on the car for several hours while I waited, and I got it back driving about the same as when I took it in. It still exhibited the same symptoms, except that the wheel was now cocked slightly to the right. I also realized a few days later that they had scratched up my rims, which really torqued me off, but I subsequently got them fixed perfectly elsewhere. Needless to say, based on the response received from the Service Department about the scratched wheels, I have not been back to Hendrick Cadillac for anything since.

More importantly, I took the car to an independent high line shop who services my Benz about a week later, they have a really good Bosch alignment machine. They found that the dealer had done a sloppy job. While things were technically "within spec", castor/camber/toe were inconsistent from side to side, front toe was way too far out, and the wheel was not centered. This shop took the tiime to get castor/camber/toe specs perfect from side to side, went with just a little extra front wheel negative camber (still "within spec"), and set front toe specs pretty tight, positive but very close to 0. They also centered the wheel perfectly. They did tell me that this car was tough to get perfect.

My car has since tracked and driven absolutely perfectly, wheel is straight, and it corners very nicely. Front wheel tire wear is also negligable. Best $160 I had spent in a while.

For Aero or anyone else with similar experiences, find a good alignment shop, I bet there is nothing wrong with your suspension that a competant alignment tech can't fix.

MSJ
09-03-09, 12:54 AM
NC09V2, I am in Holly Springs. Where did you have your V2 re-aligned? I just picked up my 09 V2 this week and would like to have the alignment checked. feel free to PM the information if you like. thanks

Mikevette
09-03-09, 02:38 PM
Coming from the C5/C5Zo6 world I was aware of the aggressive track setup my Z came from the factory with. They would eat up the inside of the fronts within 8-9K. So when I took delivery of my 09 V I drove an out 600 miles onit and then took it to a caddie dealership and had then put a neutral setup on my V. Knowing/think that GM has put some type of track setup to help our V's shine if we decide to track them. Tires straight ahead all around, vertical to ensure flat contact patch with road and zeroed out any camber/caster issues to allow me to get max mileage from my Michelins. Way to expensive to go through like I did with my Zo6's. When looking at my rear tires from behind the V I could see them tilted in at the top so they were riding slightly on the inside of the tire. That made me want enven more to have my alignment adjusted noy knowing what my fronts were set to.

Just my .02

Mike P.:cool2:

nc09v2
09-04-09, 09:34 PM
MSJ, the shop that did my alignment is EuroClassics Ltd. in Durham. Owner is Ken Gowan, a standup car guy. Tell him Erik with the black 09V sent you, he knows me fairly well.

MikeVette, the negative camber specs on these cars are more in line with the FE1 C5/C6 cars, nothing like the Z06 or ZR1 specs which are pretty aggressive; tire wear has not been an an issue.....aside from the rear tires due to the right foot of course.

Mikevette
09-05-09, 11:52 AM
Good info, thanks for squaring me away on my V.* Thought that I would correct a problem be it cost me big time in tires.* The rears tires seem to really lose grip it tranney is in manual/sprt Mode and you launch hard in 1st gear.* What a nice smoke show but the rev limiter comes on like gang busters!!Mike:cool:

lavaman
09-07-09, 11:57 AM
The only problem I had with my car was that it was delivered out of alignment. Steering was cocked to the left a bit when going straight ahead, I had shimmy on the highway, and the car wandered left/right considerably with any type of road crown.

I bought my car from a small town dealer about an hour away, so took it in to Hendrick Cadillac in Cary NC at about 500 miles. They worked on the car for several hours while I waited, and I got it back driving about the same as when I took it in. It still exhibited the same symptoms, except that the wheel was now cocked slightly to the right. I also realized a few days later that they had scratched up my rims, which really torqued me off, but I subsequently got them fixed perfectly elsewhere. Needless to say, based on the response received from the Service Department about the scratched wheels, I have not been back to Hendrick Cadillac for anything since.

More importantly, I took the car to an independent high line shop who services my Benz about a week later, they have a really good Bosch alignment machine. They found that the dealer had done a sloppy job. While things were technically "within spec", castor/camber/toe were inconsistent from side to side, front toe was way too far out, and the wheel was not centered. This shop took the tiime to get castor/camber/toe specs perfect from side to side, went with just a little extra front wheel negative camber (still "within spec"), and set front toe specs pretty tight, positive but very close to 0. They also centered the wheel perfectly. They did tell me that this car was tough to get perfect.

My car has since tracked and driven absolutely perfectly, wheel is straight, and it corners very nicely. Front wheel tire wear is also negligable. Best $160 I had spent in a while.

For Aero or anyone else with similar experiences, find a good alignment shop, I bet there is nothing wrong with your suspension that a competant alignment tech can't fix.

All good info and advice!

My brother (Goodyear dealer) and I set the alignment on my car shortly after I bought it. I had no alignment concerns just wanted it "Right" from the start.

My car was slightly out of "Optimal" settings but still within limits. We set it up to the specs we desired and then centered the wheel...(Last step in aligning a car)

Aero,

I too ended up with a pull to one side. This was likely a result of tire wear that had developed on one of the front tires (Yet undetectable to the eye) . A simple cross of the front tires (Left to right) was all that was needed to cause my car to drive straight as an arrow. You may have a tire issue and not alignment.