: Possible '05 purchase!

caddydaddy
09-01-09, 12:31 PM
I might be buying an '05 Escalade with 54k miles on it from my uncle.
Any concerns with that year, or highlights? I don't know much about Escalades! :thepan:

Bazar6
09-01-09, 01:12 PM
congrats! I have an 05 ESV with almost 100k… Love it, great truck… i don't have any concerns with mine, and what highlights can top the fact that its an escalade?!! lol… lotta good comments about it… enjoy the ride!

Claxon
09-01-09, 03:12 PM
Mine is an '05 that I just got 3 or so weeks ago with 60k on it. It makes me feel like I'm 17 again. I love this car.

Ghost Deany
09-01-09, 07:20 PM
got my black 04 awd in april with i believe 49,500 miles on it, might of been 48.5 i forget actually. now have 54,000. only problems ive had so far? well some were problems, other things are just issues i changed.

1. the 2 bottom button clusters on the steering wheel, the led lights inside were burned out, and one of the top button clusters was peeling. i ended up buying 4 new button clusters from the dealer and putting them in myself.

2. rear driver air shock started to leak about a month ago, bought 2 rear OEM air shocks on ebay for 420$ for the pair, changed them both myself in the driveway, i think the dealer wants like 450 per shock and then 1000 for labor for a total of 2K for that job.

3. the ac/heat controls with the 2 knobs, the leds in one or 2 of the buttons was out, bought a new unit on ebay for 120$ replaced myself.

4. passenger side fog light lens was popped off, bought a new fog light assembly for 45$

5. came with the stock alloy 17" escalade wheels, i wanted the chrome ones, got a brand new authentic GM set on ebay for 250$. this wasn't a problem i just didn't care for the alloys.

6. the bottoms of the leather seats. the 2 captains chairs weren't really in bad condition, but i bought that SEM spray and sprayed them up and its more of a temporary fix, after a while of people sitting on them like 2 months after they're sprayed, they start to crack. id like to eventually get replacement captains leather seat bottom covers, and maybe replace the ones up front eventually, they're not really in bad shape.

7. the headlight housings had that film on them. put some warm soapy water in there swished it around, problem solved.

other then that, no problems. love the truck. i put the escalade and caddy emblem floor mats in, a pioneer avic D3 navi/dvd player unit and sub woofer in the back. changed all the interior lighting to white LEDS, and put bright white LEDS in the reverse lamps. i just put new spark plugs in, they didn't even need to be replaced yet but i did it anyway, along with new 7mm wires. i ended up buying the 8.5mm red wires on ebay which are coming in the mail and im going to put those on instead.

almost forgot. change the front diff fluid as soon as you get it. i changed the front, rear, and the transfer case. i have to get the trans flushed soon, def. no later then 60K that needs to be done.

heres a couple recent pics from the past couple of months

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs178.snc1/6693_1209608840600_1240100345_1568708_123216_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs164.snc1/6133_1228793040193_1240100345_1637137_1512761_n.jp g
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs164.snc1/6133_1232153604205_1240100345_1647756_256657_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs150.snc1/5573_1240275447246_1240100345_1676418_4257902_n.jp g

caddydaddy
09-01-09, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the replies!

One question: Where can I get an upgraded NAV system CD?

Ghost Deany: My new E is 2WD, so I'm sure just the rear diff fluid would need to be changed? My Uncle was getting the 50K mile service done to it soon, so that may be part of it?

For you fellow Northerners, how do the E's handle in the snow? I'm in Maine, so I'm used to the snow with my FWD Deville, but not too sure how a RWD truck would handle! The E's have traction control and StabiliTrak, correct? I'm sure both of those help!

Ghost Deany
09-01-09, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the replies!

One question: Where can I get an upgraded NAV system CD?

Ghost Deany: My new E is 2WD, so I'm sure just the rear diff fluid would need to be changed? My Uncle was getting the 50K mile service done to it soon, so that may be part of it?

For you fellow Northerners, how do the E's handle in the snow? I'm in Maine, so I'm used to the snow with my FWD Deville, but not too sure how a RWD truck would handle! The E's have traction control and StabiliTrak, correct? I'm sure both of those help!

not sure if thats part of the 50K service or not, depends on where your taking it. if not, its a easy DIY job.

caddydaddy
09-01-09, 07:44 PM
Here's a pic of my soon to be new ride. My Uncle took it on the Dragon last Summer:
http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh449/caddydaddy472/QSEontheDragon2.jpg

Ghost Deany
09-01-09, 08:51 PM
gray right? looks good. i always liked the pearl white and black the best. gray would be next in line, i dont think i could have any other color. just my 2 cents.

caddydaddy
09-01-09, 08:59 PM
Quicksilver I believe is the name of the color. It's not my favorite, but at the price he's selling it to us, beggars can't be choosers! :thumbsup:
His last Escalade was a 2003 in White Diamond that I really liked!

Ghost Deany
09-01-09, 10:17 PM
is he the original owner? if so, you should be good to go if he took great care of it. mine was a 1 owner, the guy only drove like 9 thousand miles per year with it.

sk7
09-01-09, 10:35 PM
05 is definately a good year to buy for the escalade. 2WD models had traction control but not stabilitrack (not 100% sure on that one). Replacing the rear diff fluid is a wise investment, even if they are less prone to failure than the front.

caddydaddy
09-02-09, 06:59 AM
is he the original owner? if so, you should be good to go if he took great care of it. mine was a 1 owner, the guy only drove like 9 thousand miles per year with it.

Yes, he is the original owner. So at least I know he wasn't drag racing or towing houses with it! :rolleyes:

smelly$cat
09-02-09, 01:18 PM
I love that color and would choose it first. Hides dirt the best. Congrats and enjoy!

---

Here's a pic of my soon to be new ride. My Uncle took it on the Dragon last Summer:
http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh449/caddydaddy472/QSEontheDragon2.jpg

Back2Basic (B2B)
09-02-09, 10:46 PM
Congratulations!!!! Got a 2005 Black Escalade ESV as well with 52k miles on it. Iike the smooth/quiet ride, love the looks I get when am in it....:cool2: So far so good, no real mechinical problems, only had to buy a new battery. Charged my A/C this summer. Changed all diff and trans fluid at 50k miles. Put some 22" chrome rims and tires (305-45-R22), still rides good with about 17 mpg with 87 octane. Planning on putting OEM rims and tires back on before winter. Changed my headlights and fogs to HID in 8000K. Changed my tail lights to LED. Changed all of my interior lights to LED white. Bought an upgraded Nav DVD from GM Nav Disc Center, pricy but works great. Shampooed all the carpet, cleaned/protected the leather seats. Tinted all the windows on top of factory tints with 20% in front. Planning on connecting an external TV/DVD/MP3 receiver to my Nav Unit using a video/audio interface. This is one ride that I don't mind spending money on because upgrading it only makes it look even better.

Good Luck with yours,
B2B

skills2005
09-03-09, 01:20 PM
Congratulations!!!! Got a 2005 Black Escalade ESV as well with 52k miles on it. Iike the smooth/quiet ride, love the looks I get when am in it....:cool2: So far so good, no real mechinical problems, only had to buy a new battery. Charged my A/C this summer. Changed all diff and trans fluid at 50k miles. Put some 22" chrome rims and tires (305-45-R22), still rides good with about 17 mpg with 87 octane. Planning on putting OEM rims and tires back on before winter. Changed my headlights and fogs to HID in 8000K. Changed my tail lights to LED. Changed all of my interior lights to LED white. Bought an upgraded Nav DVD from GM Nav Disc Center, pricy but works great. Shampooed all the carpet, cleaned/protected the leather seats. Tinted all the windows on top of factory tints with 20% in front. Planning on connecting an external TV/DVD/MP3 receiver to my Nav Unit using a video/audio interface. This is one ride that I don't mind spending money on because upgrading it only makes it look even better.

Good Luck with yours,
B2B

B2B, do you have a problem with your fog light housing melting? I just have a blue bulb no HID and it has melted the lens. What should I do, can I get HID's and not have the lens melt?. Can you show pics.

pilot-werx
09-03-09, 07:36 PM
I have an 05 pearl white ESV platinum and do not know how i lived without it. 102k miles and she still goes like hell!

Back2Basic (B2B)
09-03-09, 10:51 PM
B2B, do you have a problem with your fog light housing melting? I just have a blue bulb no HID and it has melted the lens. What should I do, can I get HID's and not have the lens melt?. Can you show pics.

Hey Skills,
Sorry to hear the your fog light housing is melting. I don't have any issues with my headlights or fog light housing. If fact, both are cool to the touch even after several hours of use, which is the way it should be.

Let's see if we can trouble shoot your melting problem.....:hmm:
You said it started melting after you replaced it with blue bulbs?
Do you know what's the wattage of these blue bulbs?
Are both housings melting or just one?
Did you check for any loose wiring and is the bulb seated firmly into the socket?
How's your wiring harness going to the bulb, does it get hot when the bulb is lit or damaged?
Are the bulbs touching any part of the plastic housing or lens?
Have you tried switching out the blue bulb and replace it with OEM 880's, then check to see if it continues to melt?

FYI, I believe the OEM 880 fog light bulbs are rated at 27 watts and has a heat shield in the housing. The fog light housing can withstand heat generated from a bulb of up to 35 watts max. Thus, using more than a 35 watt bulb may damage your plastic housing and wiring harness.

You may certainly replace them with HID (any # Kelvin) XENON LIGHTS like I did, as long as the bulbs don't exceed 35 watts. If this is what you'd like to do, I can certainly help you with a step by step installation. I really like my HIDs, not just for the way they look but also how they just light up the road at night as if it was daylight.

I have attached a couple of pictures of my lade as you requested.

Hope this info helps,
B2B

skills2005
09-04-09, 01:26 PM
That looks real good, i checked and the bulbs are 55 watts. I used them because i had 55 in my Avalanche and they worked fine. Do you have the HID converter kit and all that for your fog lights, if you can can you post pictures of the conections and how you have them installed. Sorry for making you do all that work.

Back2Basic (B2B)
09-04-09, 10:23 PM
That looks real good, i checked and the bulbs are 55 watts. I used them because i had 55 in my Avalanche and they worked fine. Do you have the HID converter kit and all that for your fog lights, if you can can you post pictures of the conections and how you have them installed. Sorry for making you do all that work.

Hey Skills,
Thanks for the compliment. I am pretty sure that your 55 watt bulbs are halogens which will melt your housing from heat. Consider yourself lucky if there are no damages to your wiring harness. You can still run your fogs with a regular 880 bulb with 35 watt output and everything should be fine.
However, if you decide to go with HID's then you'll have to do buy the whole kit like I did. Which will include the bulbs, ballast, wiring harness, and instructions. You can get these kits in any "kalvin" (the color). I don't have any pictures of the installation but can take picture of the under carriage tomorrow. You may be able to see how it's set up.

B2B

Back2Basic (B2B)
09-06-09, 02:50 PM

Hey Skills,
Here are the pictures you requested of my HID fog light wiring set up. I think the pictures are self explainatory. PM me if you have any questions and I'll try to direct you the right way.

Hope this helps,
B2B

skills2005
09-07-09, 12:00 PM
Sorry caddydaddy for hi jacking your thread, hey at least you now know not to use 55 watts bulbs for your for lights.

caddydaddy
09-07-09, 12:45 PM
Sorry caddydaddy for hi jacking your thread, hey at least you now know not to use 55 watts bulbs for your for lights.

No problem! :D It's all good info for me to learn from.