: Installing air filter on '94 FWB

ocmdiaz714
08-31-09, 07:57 PM
I have a '94 FWB that I just bought without a air filter. I know it may sound stupid but how do I put it in? I currently have it, flat-side down. Thanks.

Stingroo
08-31-09, 08:18 PM
Is this the same '94 you had all those other problems with? Or another one?

ocmdiaz714
08-31-09, 09:48 PM
Another one.

Stingroo
08-31-09, 10:01 PM
Oh. Cool. What happened to the first?

And for the record: I'm 99% sure the filter goes flat side down.

N0DIH
09-01-09, 12:25 AM
The metal grid behind the filter goes towards the MAF and the pleats goes down to get outside air.

ocmdiaz714
09-01-09, 02:03 AM

I took it in today to a ACDELCO service center to have the Throttle Position Sensor replaced with a new OEM one. The check engine light and traction control lights both went off but it's happened before and then come back the next day, I hope that's not the case tomorrow. The trouble codes (00) which were 46, 33 and 22 all went off and I got a few showing up on (01-05) which I'll check out tomorrow.

The car still won't go any faster than 20mph on "D" and "OD." I can run it somewhat fine up to 70mph when I'm on second gear "2;" I still feel the engine jerking when shifting gears. The car does have 150k and I was told by the previous owner that the transmission was rebuilt. I checked the transmission fluid and it came out light brown and black. I don't know if it was the dipstick being dirty or the transmission fluid itself; as it also came out light brown mixed with that black. I'm guessing now there's nothing I can do but buy a new transmission? I was also told that the transmission could have gotten burned up when I did both smog checks as the shops may have forgotten to turn off the traction control?

As for the smog check, I'm buying a new EGR valve, 2 cat. converters, 2 o2 sensors, 8 platinum spark plugs and wire kit. Can I pass the smog with the state the transmission is in? Thanks! The car ran fine up until I did the smog check, used engine degrease (some smoke came out from what I think was the transmission) and when I lost the gas cap; I bought an aftermarket one which was vehicle-specific, and the shaking went away.

N0DIH
09-01-09, 02:13 AM
Once you are up to faster speeds in 2nd, what happens when you shift to 3rd or 4th?

I took it in today to a ACDELCO service center to have the Throttle Position Sensor replaced with a new OEM one. The check engine light and traction control lights both went off but it's happened before and then come back the next day, I hope that's not the case tomorrow. The trouble codes (00) which were 46, 33 and 22 all went off and I got a few showing up on (01-05) which I'll check out tomorrow.

The car still won't go any faster than 20mph on "D" and "OD." I can run it somewhat fine up to 70mph when I'm on second gear "2;" I still feel the engine jerking when shifting gears. The car does have 150k and I was told by the previous owner that the transmission was rebuilt. I checked the transmission fluid and it came out light brown and black. I don't know if it was the dipstick being dirty or the transmission fluid itself; as it also came out light brown mixed with that black. I'm guessing now there's nothing I can do but buy a new transmission? I was also told that the transmission could have gotten burned up when I did both smog checks as the shops may have forgotten to turn off the traction control?

As for the smog check, I'm buying a new EGR valve, 2 cat. converters, 2 o2 sensors, 8 platinum spark plugs and wire kit. Can I pass the smog with the state the transmission is in? Thanks! The car ran fine up until I did the smog check, used engine degrease (some smoke came out from what I think was the transmission) and when I lost the gas cap; I bought an aftermarket one which was vehicle-specific, and the shaking went away.

ocmdiaz714
09-01-09, 02:33 AM
Once you are up to faster speeds in 2nd, what happens when you shift to 3rd or 4th?

I meant driving in 2 (Second Gear) not D (Automatic Overdrive) or D or 3 (Third Gear.) My mileage got really bad but I can't get any faster then 20mph when on D. When I'm driving 2 (Second Gear) I have to keep my foot on the gas as by letting it go, it slowly decelerates by itself when I'm around 30+mph. If I keep my foot on the gas though; not pressing or pushing down but gently pressing it; I get somewhat of a smooth ride until I stop and I feel the engine jerk when speeding back up like at traffic or stop signs.

When I'm on D I hear this loud noise coming from under the hood when I hit 20mph and it won't accelerate.

ocmdiaz714
09-01-09, 04:09 AM
Also, the trunk lid doesn't get pulled down; I have to slam it shut. It does open with the button on the glove box but I can't get the trunk lid to go down anymore.

Stingroo
09-01-09, 06:43 AM
Also, the trunk lid doesn't get pulled down; I have to slam it shut. It does open with the button on the glove box but I can't get the trunk lid to go down anymore.

You can replace the pull down trunk with a manual one, it's less hassle anyway from what I hear.

N0DIH
09-01-09, 09:12 AM
Mine broke the switch. The Cadillac and Lincoln units are the same. I got into mine and bypassed the switch to put in a position to close as a "normal" car, never worried about it since, I just don't have the time to deal with it, one of these days I will.

No need to replace it, just get it to move again and put the latch where it needs to be, takes a little fussing, but can be done fairly easy.

Stingroo
09-01-09, 09:45 AM
That's true. That's what we did with my mom's 92 Park Ave... that was literally the only issue that car ever gave us in 230k miles... I miss that car. :(

N0DIH
09-01-09, 10:58 AM
I have a 2000 Park Ave Ultra now, they eliminated the trunk pull down, I think on Cadillacs too.

Stingroo
09-01-09, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they did. My dad and I were looking at a '98 Park Ave (not an Ultra though) and it didn't seem to have it. It was a cool-ish feature, but in the end not that useful. I'd rather shut my trunk and be done with it.

That said, I'll keep my trunk power as long as it works, but should the unit die, I won't fuss over finding another one.

N0DIH
09-01-09, 12:45 PM
Yup, the new cars have a easy to close trunk spring and latch so it isn't a big deal at all...

ocmdiaz714
09-03-09, 01:53 AM
I meant driving in 2 (Second Gear) not D (Automatic Overdrive) or D or 3 (Third Gear.) My mileage got really bad but I can't get any faster then 20mph when on D. When I'm driving 2 (Second Gear) I have to keep my foot on the gas as by letting it go, it slowly decelerates by itself when I'm around 30+mph. If I keep my foot on the gas though; not pressing or pushing down but gently pressing it; I get somewhat of a smooth ride until I stop and I feel the engine jerk when speeding back up like at traffic or stop signs.

When I'm on D I hear this loud noise coming from under the hood when I hit 20mph and it won't accelerate.

BUMP.
Also, thanks for the info on the trunk. I'll be buying a new motor soon.