: Best mods for 09 cts-v ???

09BlackV
08-31-09, 04:46 PM
I just got my brand new 09 balck on black V. I am very impressed as it looks like most of you are with yours. My next step is to add some worthwhile modifications. What does everyone think is most important? I'm looking for better aesthetics and speed (like everyone else)...

I have been looking at these first and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if they have a good or bad luck with these mods?

1.) Exhaust or mufflers? I've been looking at the Corsa mufflers, but heard they are kinda loud and annoying?

2.) AR or other headers?

3.) Upgrade air intake? D3 system?

4.) Custom tune? maybe through D3?

5.) Tint - Huper Optik 30?

6.) Clear 3M paint protective bra?

7.) Crank pully uprade? Spark plugs?

I saw this on the D3 webite? Any opinions?
Stage 1 Power Packages $2,549.00
Application: - 2009+ CTS-V

Horsepower Increased to = up to 585 est. bhp
(Includes - D3 Air Intake System, Corsa Exhaust System, and ECU tune)

We have packed together some of our most popular performance components for the CTS-V together to give you a comprehensive high quality performance package. This package can be installed and ordered through your local Cadillac Dealership. If you are looking for warranty friendly packages that will still give you adequate performance gains, this is it! You can also add to it for future modifications. When installed you will notice a crisper throttle response, quicker acceleration, increase bottom end, and a much richer exhaust note.

Any other suggestions for the beast?????:stirpot:

thatcoder
08-31-09, 05:11 PM
keep it stock.

09BlackV
08-31-09, 06:27 PM
Why?

thebigjimsho
08-31-09, 06:56 PM
Track days. HPDE(High Performance Driving Events). Bob Bondurant.

The best mod you can do is getting YOU better equipped to handle the already fastest sedan on the planet...

Hawkeye2
08-31-09, 08:44 PM
Clear bra.

Caroutisine
08-31-09, 08:52 PM
Tint.

nynd
08-31-09, 09:03 PM
Clear Bra + tint.. LOL!

thebigjimsho
08-31-09, 09:07 PM
You people are awful... :duck:

Gary Wells
08-31-09, 09:12 PM
Fuzzy dice?
Seriously, you might want to do some soul searching before you decide to take the plunge into modifying for more power. There are some very well educated peeps on this forum that have voiced opinions both pro & con, and there is a lot to be said for both sides. Doing a search will provide you with a lot of reading from both sides. Have you checked with any GM Cadillac dealers and verified that dealers will order and install those mods without any warranty issues, and if they say yes today will they say yes tomorrow. I think that for up to 29 base HP I would look for other areas that might yield more for less, and how warranty friendly they are.

Short-Throw
08-31-09, 09:18 PM
I just got my brand new 09 balck on black V. My next step is to add some worthwhile modifications.

How many miles on your odometer? You just got the car and already you want to mod it? What aspect of the car do you feel has short comings? Just a suggestion since you've asked for feedback, but have you had ample seat time in it to decide for yourself the areas you want to change? Everyone has different goals so feedback here needs to be filtered to fit your goals. What exactly does 'worthwhile modifications' mean, that seems pretty subjective? Is this a pure street car? Will it ever see a road course?

I think if you can narrow down and define your objective, it will be much easier to direct you, unless you want blanket advice.

cars_are_fun!
08-31-09, 09:59 PM
If you have the automatic transmission, you will notice that the shifting is rather sloppy. Jesse at wait4me is said to provide an excellent fix for this. I sent him a PM a week ago to see if I can buy it without the engine tune; if he says yet, I will order it. Otherwise, IMO there is already too much power to take off from a dead stop LOL, so if you get power mods, you will have to be even more skillful to launch the car.

jwa999
08-31-09, 10:14 PM
If you have the automatic transmission, you will notice that the shifting is rather sloppy. Jesse at wait4me is said to provide an excellent fix for this. I sent him a PM a week ago to see if I can buy it without the engine tune; if he says yet, I will order it. Otherwise, IMO there is already too much power to take off from a dead stop LOL, so if you get power mods, you will have to be even more skillful to launch the car.

The engine tune is part of the "fix" for the automatic transmission. The tune basically gives more hp/tq at the lower end, which makes the car more responsive and hence make the transmission work better.

nradcad
08-31-09, 10:52 PM
I'm super interested in this tune. My biggest complaint about the car is the sluggish shifts.

neuronbob
08-31-09, 11:14 PM
If you care about the paint on the front of your car, you will need a clear bra.

Who said the Corsa exhaust was loud and annoying? :D It's quiet at speed, but when you step hard on the accelerator, you will definitely scare the person in the lane next to you as you are making the most glorious exhaust note. It is loud when it's supposed to be, quiet when not, just like the ads say. The stock exhaust sounds pretty good as well, to me.

Tint for looks is my next mod.

If you have kids, invest in the w4m DVD bypass module so they can watch videos while you entertain yourself driving.

If you want a unique look, you can spend $4 large on wheels and another $1k on tires. I like the stock wheels very much, so I don't plan on this, myself.

You really don't need many mods on this car, honestly, it has more power stock than 90% of us will ever need.

nradcad
09-01-09, 12:08 AM
Is the Corsa cat back? I talked with the service manager today at Ron Carter and he said any cat back exhausts will not void any warrantee items. Speaking of exhaust, can anything be done to make the stock louder. Some Vette guys open some bypass valves (or something like that) to get a bigger note. Do we have anything similar?

Short-Throw
09-01-09, 12:39 AM
Is the Corsa cat back? I talked with the service manager today at Ron Carter and he said any cat back exhausts will not void any warrantee items. Speaking of exhaust, can anything be done to make the stock louder. Some Vette guys open some bypass valves (or something like that) to get a bigger note. Do we have anything similar?

I believe you are referring to electronic QTP cutouts. This is a relatively cheap mod with a good welder but a little too raucous for the V.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/images/qtecdemo.jpg

neuronbob
09-01-09, 12:51 AM

The Corsa is an axleback exhaust.

An option to keep to stock mufflers, but make the exhaust sound louder, is to use w4me's 3" exhaust. Many who have that swear by it. Personally, I'm happy with my little catback.

Luna.
09-01-09, 01:09 AM
1.) Exhaust or mufflers? I've been looking at the Corsa mufflers, but heard they are kinda loud and annoying?

2.) AR or other headers?

3.) Upgrade air intake? D3 system?

4.) Custom tune? maybe through D3?

5.) Tint - Huper Optik 30?

6.) Clear 3M paint protective bra?

7.) Crank pully uprade? Spark plugs?

I don't believe that Corsa is "too" loud if it's just the exhaust. I think that sounds really good! When it starts to get to the "interesting" level, at least in my humble opinion, I say it's when you install that in conjunction with the AR Header system. WOW is all I can say. :)

I've read about several people getting decent gains from opening up the air intake box, so that's always an option.

A dyno/custom tune is my personal favorite and the best bang-for-your-buck I believe you can get. However, for best results, try and install all other mods PRIOR to getting it tuned.

Tint = good.

Clear bra---haven't done that yet. Is this common here? Sheesh--I feel like I know jack all of a sudden... :suspense:

Pulley upgrade is the bomb, especially when used on conjunction with intake, AR headers, and Corsa exhaust. :):thumbsup::bouncy:

Country
09-01-09, 01:15 AM
I got the clear bra and am very happy with it; however it will be very slightly more visible on a light car than a dark one. They suggest liquid glass for the "polish" and that works great both on the car and the clear bra.

Has anyone needed to buy a "cags eliminator" to avoid the 1 to 4 skip shift? I didn't get one because I have not had a problem with it once in 1000 miles. it was a problem on both my 2005 and 2007 V's.

Vrocks
09-01-09, 09:43 AM
09BlackV,
Congrats on the new V.

I'm waiting for mine to come in (looks like October) and I'm going to mod it after the initial 500 miles. I'm either getting the 9.5" or just the 9" crank pulley, the CAI air intake, and a custom tune.

I've driven the car, and I think it could use a good bit more power - drove one a few nights ago (a friends V).

THP
09-01-09, 09:51 AM
anybody have problems with drone with the non-stock mufflers?

09BlackV
09-01-09, 12:12 PM
WOW, thanks for the feedback fellas. I do have the automatic with about 700 amiles and I do find the shifting a bit sluggish, especially when not in sport mode.
What is the best way to improve this?

I was wondering if people are happy with their Corsa exhaust or mufflers? (do they offer both? I've only seen the mufflers?) Do they void the warranty?

I will probably get the clear bra, but not sure which company or product to go with any suggestions?

Don't get me wrong the car send shivers down my spine, but I could handle a few more HP.

Any other suggestions? I live in AZ

Has anyone tried the Huper optik 30? Does it look very dark?

And yes, seriously considering the fuzzy dice too.

NeedCTS-v
09-01-09, 02:35 PM
24s and some curb feelers FTW!

:duck:

thebigjimsho
09-01-09, 09:11 PM
Go with Venture Tape's Venture Shield. I had that for over 5 years on my V before this happened. Unfortunately, the clear bra doesn't always keep your front clear...

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22420019/372152505.jpg

thebigjimsho
09-01-09, 10:33 PM
Actually, the following pic shows you how strong the Venture Shield is. I ran the V up against a cable median barrier that was strong enough to rip part of the hood and the fender off. You can see the line of the clearbra because the car was dirty from being on the road over 1,500 miles without a wash. Take a look...

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22420019/372152583.jpg