: Ugh... Question About Misfires.....

DopeStar 156
08-31-09, 02:59 AM
It would appear my Fleetwood is misfiring like a mother****er and needs a driver's side engine mount since I can lift the engine up while power braking. I am wondering if someone can compose a list of everything to check when you believe you've got a misfire so I know what to go look at. Really appreciate the help, my car runs and drives like crap and it's really irritating.....

HUF
08-31-09, 03:43 PM
The first thing to check is the spark plugs and plug wires.

jey
08-31-09, 05:32 PM
Is it a constant misfire (same cylinder misfiring) or random?

CTSV OWNER
08-31-09, 05:40 PM
Where in North Jersey? I just finished replacing the engine in a friends 1996 Fleetwood and my lift is now open. Drive on over and we'll check it out.

Since your a MOD you can't be too much of a psycho killer.:run:

Dave

DopeStar 156
08-31-09, 08:20 PM
Things I've replaced/checked:
- Spark plugs, all eight (Like a week ago)
- Two wires damaged or melted (the other six are 4 years old and I would think still fine)
- Cap and rotor (November 2008, although my friend seems to think the rotor may have failed prematurely)
- A slew of bad vacuum lines
- Compression test done, all 8 cylinders are fine.

A few notes on the problem. The car has a shake to all idle speeds and the engine's sound isn't right. The tailpipe also has a shake to it and last night I figured out the car has a bad motor mount on the driver's front. I ordered both right and left motor mounts today. The car was throwing codes for the canister purge solenoid, and rich O2 while crusing on the highway but after resetting the ECM it hasn't done it since.

Given those things, I hope this helps narrow down the list. Thanks everyone.....

csbuckn
08-31-09, 09:51 PM
I would go after the other six wires next. Seems the only variable thats not right. Gas, air and spark. Gas pressure is good, air is there, then spark has to be the wires. Rich O2 usually means lack of spark also. After that....

DopeStar 156
08-31-09, 10:06 PM
I would go after the other six wires next. Seems the only variable thats not right. Gas, air and spark. Gas pressure is good, air is there, then spark has to be the wires. Rich O2 usually means lack of spark also. After that....

Good call. I'll have to pick up 6 more tomorrow. Keep 'em comin'! :D

csbuckn
08-31-09, 10:55 PM
or too much gas. how confident are you in the carb?

DopeStar 156
08-31-09, 11:17 PM
or too much gas. how confident are you in the carb?

Well..... It DID run fine for a little while but got worse. I have reason to suspect it might have been tampered with.... sit down kids, storytime.....

I had a problem with a bad idle so I took it back to the shop who rebuilt my heads back in November. I left the car for a couple days with the guy who called me and said cylinder number 8 had no compression and that the block needed to be reringed for a "measly" $1,500. I picked the car up and noticed that my wingnut on my air cleaner was sitting vertically instead of horizontally, the way my OCD driven mind requires it to be.....

Picked the car up and it ran oddly fine, got it home and the battery died. A friend and I figured out the charging system failed due to a burnt out NO CHARGE light that completes the alternator's circuit. Replaced the bulb, alternator started putting out again, car ran fine. We checked the compression, all 8 cylinders were 120 PSI...... looks like someone lied..... $1,500 my ass.....

We got everything resituated and the car ran fine, but over a short time began running poorly and progressing to where I am today. When I visited this shop back in the fall he messed with my carb to make my bad heads unnoticable so I know he knows how to tune the thing to do anything he wants it to, even fool someone into thinking there's something wrong with their car, when there might not be..... The vertically placed wingnut tells me he went under the air cleaner, but what the hell for, there's no sparkplugs under there and the BATT connection at the distributor can be yanked off without doing that......

How confident am I in the carb? Not as much as I was a few minutes ago....... :mad:

Stingroo
08-31-09, 11:22 PM
Too bad you can't find a way to PROVE that to him.. If you could you could like, watch him checking it out or something, I don't know. =\ Seems like a really raw deal to have to rebuild/replace your carb on a whim, you know?

77CDV
08-31-09, 11:34 PM
Can't help with your immediate problem, but I can recommend you don't go anywhere near that shop anymore, if only for the owner's safety. It's not wise to mess with Her Royal Red Majesty.

DopeStar 156
08-31-09, 11:59 PM
It's not wise to mess with Her Royal Red Majesty.

That's usually a death penalty all in itself..... I'm having the car looked at on Thursday by someone I know and trust who's very good with older cars. I'm gonna mention this to him next time I talk to him so he can verify that the settings are all in order, in addition to checking for other misfire items.....

csbuckn
09-01-09, 12:06 AM
I'd still go after the wires first

DopeStar 156
09-01-09, 12:10 AM
I'd still go after the wires first

No question there.....

N0DIH
09-01-09, 12:36 AM
I know I have swapped wires from time to time.... 5 and 7 are easy ones to swap, and it will run ok until it gets under load.... My 455 beat a strung Mustang GT like that once... I could do good under I got deep into the 4BBL's then it bucked and backfired.

Is the cap on straight? I have got it off a tad and it missed too. Sometimes if the latches aren't on perfect they pop off and the cap gets loose and tilted and misses.

Just ideas....

DopeStar 156
09-01-09, 12:52 AM
I know I have swapped wires from time to time.... 5 and 7 are easy ones to swap, and it will run ok until it gets under load.... My 455 beat a strung Mustang GT like that once... I could do good under I got deep into the 4BBL's then it bucked and backfired.

Is the cap on straight? I have got it off a tad and it missed too. Sometimes if the latches aren't on perfect they pop off and the cap gets loose and tilted and misses.

Just ideas....

And good ones at that. Thanks....

DopeStar 156
09-02-09, 04:59 PM
I found an issue with the car that I was wondering if someone could help me with.....

There's a little metal tab by the choke that you flip up for fast idle and flip down for low idle. The thing ges stuck halfway whenever you step on the gas and only comes back if I go under the hood and push it down. I sprayed it with carb cleaner after pushing it back down but when I hit the gas it went back up to the spot where it sticks. Is this out of adjustment or something? What's it called?

RocketFast321
09-02-09, 08:02 PM
Ignition coil might be getting lazy. Replace the ignition module if you can.

flux1414
09-02-09, 09:18 PM
I found an issue with the car that I was wondering if someone could help me with.....

There's a little metal tab by the choke that you flip up for fast idle and flip down for low idle. The thing ges stuck halfway whenever you step on the gas and only comes back if I go under the hood and push it down. I sprayed it with carb cleaner after pushing it back down but when I hit the gas it went back up to the spot where it sticks. Is this out of adjustment or something? What's it called?

That is known as a fast idle cam. At the moment I couldn't give you a detailed description of exactly what it does but I do know that when you yank on the throttle cable it should pop up to it's resting position. I believe it has 3 positions in total and progress through them (top->middle->down, clockwise if it's like mine) as your engine warms up. If it's not returning to it's top most position when you pump the gas before you try to start it, it'll cause issues.

Do you have the FSM for your '89? It will have more detail about the fast idle cam and how troubleshoot it.

DopeStar 156
09-02-09, 09:24 PM
That is known as a fast idle cam. At the moment I couldn't give you a detailed description of exactly what it does but I do know that when you yank on the throttle cable it should pop up to it's resting position. I believe it has 3 positions in total and progress through them (top->middle->down, clockwise if it's like mine) as your engine warms up. If it's not returning to it's top most position when you pump the gas before you try to start it, it'll cause issues.

Do you have the FSM for your '89? It will have more detail about the fast idle cam and how troubleshoot it.

Ok then here's a better description. In 1st position I get my fast idle. In the middle position I get a faster than normal idle. In the third position I get my normal idle speed. What it was doing was staying in middle position providing a faster than normal idle. What seems to be my issue here?

Yes I do have an FSM, I just didn't know what that thing was called to look it up. I'll go take a look under Fast Idle Cam......

cadillac_al
09-02-09, 10:34 PM
Look under choke adjustment in the FSM. The choke should be fully open when the car warms up and that tab on the side that you are looking at should be all the way down and resting. I wouldn't get too worried about the first mechanic looking under you air cleaner. If he was looking for a misfire he would have to verify that the choke was operating correctly. It doesn't sound like it is now though. Good luck.