: Oil & Plugs

libbysman
08-31-09, 12:41 AM
Hello All: A new chapter in my quest to have a nice Catera has started. I went to change the spark plugs and found lots of oil around the plugs. The electrodes were dry and other than normal deposit seemed fine. The troubling part is that the engine doesn't leak or show signs of burning oil or loss of oil. Could this be from spillage when puting oil in the engine. I've never seen the oil drop even the slightest on the dipstick. Also, is there such a thing as a "torx socket", for the valve covers etc. as no one seems to have them around here. Any help would be useful. Regards, Brian

JRomano
08-31-09, 01:43 AM
Hello All: A new chapter in my quest to have a nice Catera has started. I went to change the spark plugs and found lots of oil around the plugs. The electrodes were dry and other than normal deposit seemed fine. The troubling part is that the engine doesn't leak or show signs of burning oil or loss of oil. Could this be from spillage when putting oil in the engine. I've never seen the oil drop even the slightest on the dipstick. Also, is there such a thing as a "torx socket", for the valve covers etc. as no one seems to have them around here. Any help would be useful. Regards, Brian

I too had oil filling the spark plug valley, it usually goes hand in hand with leaky valve cover gaskets. I mopped the oil up and changed the plugs out and cleaned the hell out of the coilpacks but I haven't gotten to change the valve cover gaskets yet. As far as the Torx stuff, I got my Craftsman set at Sears They're called E-Torx aka External Torx, they have a standard set for around 35-40 bux that has the most common ones in it.

libbysman
09-01-09, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the reply JRomano. I was fortunate enough to find the Torx socket at a local tool dealer (KMS Tools in Coquitlam B.C.). I recently bought a code reader and am learning how to use it ( and I thought computers were tough). Anyhow, I managed to change the plugs on Side 1 and found they were the GM-Bosch (3 electrode type). I purchased a set of NGK iridium type, and the color on the code reader went from yellow to green (alright!!). So I guess those plugs were in worse shape than I thought. I could have turned them out without the ratchet, which isn't something you want to hear. Tomorrow I'll get the other side done.
Happy motoring. Brian

catera09
09-04-09, 10:07 AM
Hey there, I got the same problem with oil on the plugs ( oil on the top and bottom of the plug and on the wires) yesterday I took off the valve covers to change the gaskets and it does look like valve cover gaskets will fix the problem. When I removed the cover I could see that there was oil finding its way into the spark plug valley where the wires connect to the plugs. It seems to be dripping in from there. It is getting to the bottom of the plug making car run like crap and making the check engine light blink. When I get the gaskets back on and engine together I will let everyone know if it worked or not. I can't wait to see for myself if this is going to work.

Thanks, Paul

libbysman
09-05-09, 03:29 PM
Hello All: Paul, I'd be anxious to see how you make out with those valve cover gaskets. From what I can see it's going to be fun. Are those covers a one piece item covering both cams on each side? Or is it 2 separate covers? Either way pics would be welcomed to help us rookies to the Catera. Good Luck, Brian

libbysman
09-08-09, 01:56 AM
Hello All: Well, I managed to get bank 2 plugs in, but wow is that a snug fit. I noticed the improved performance right off, but now there is a miss about every 30 seconds in idle. What have I done now? Regards, Brian