: Tire Sidewall and Speedometer Readings - 1994 FWB

Stingroo
08-30-09, 11:44 PM
So, I was talking to my dad today since we're piecing together the things that my car needs to make it roadworthy, and then bring it up to Jacksonville.

He mentioned that the tires were in pretty bad shape; they were pretty bald. Probably too bald for a 300 mile trip.

So I wanted to see what some good white walls would run me. Even though I like them, I know Vogues are out of my price range. I didn't even bother looking them up, because knowing me, I would find a way to waste the money on them. lol

But I did find tires on Coker's website. But the 235/70R/15's they had were only in 2.5 inch whitewall, which in my opinion is WAY too big. However, I found a set of tires with a 1.6 inch whitewall. The only issue? They're 235/75R/15.

If I were to buy these, how much would it throw off the speedometer? And is there a way to calibrate it so that I get an accurate reading?

Bro-Ham
08-31-09, 01:07 AM
Hey Sting,

I had a set of wider whitewall 235/75-15 tires on a 1978 Cad limo when I bought it. The tires were just tall enough to rub when cornering. Try www.tirerack.com and I believe the Koreans still care about making your correct 235/70-15 whitewall tire size in the Kuhmo brand. I'm tellin' ya, the Koreans are going to start making old school Caddies! :)

In the 235/70-15 whitewall tires I've been around the block a million times chatting it up with my RR friends since that was the size for the 1966-1995's. Those cars require an H or V rating and whitewalls are scarce except for maybe Avon and Coker makes a replica of an ancient Michelin for the diehard RR folks but it is ridiculously expensive. Vogues are sexy and if you check eBay you can find them priced pretty fairly. My advice is to save your $$$ and put the Kuhmo WW's on

Good luck!

We haven't heard much about how school is going for you, our favorite bright eyed enthusiastic scholar!?! :)

Dave

Aron9000
08-31-09, 03:22 AM
^ Good advice, I'm running Kuhmo whitewalls on my 1991. They're a great tire IMO.

Stingroo
08-31-09, 08:21 AM
So the 75's will rub? Alright. I'll take a look at the Khumo's.

School here is going pretty good. Into week two now. My roommate is a bit of a dolt, but otherwise, it's pretty nice here. A lot of walking on this campus though... easily 2-3 miles per day just to get to my 3 classes, not counting if I want food or something else. lol So I definitely want the car. LOL It's nice and close to the mall too, so it'll be nice to get a job and have some cash too.

Just waiting for my check to come. They say September 18th is the last day you can drop a class, so that's when they'll start paying it out. As of right now it looks like I'll be getting like $1900. PLENTY of money to get the car on the road, and up here. Yay!

So far my checklist is as follows:
Replace Starter - $0 (I already have one :D)
Battery - ~$100 (estimate, it's actually cheaper)
Radiator (Just to be safe probably) - $150 (Yay rock auto!)
Water Pump (Again, to be safe) - $65 (same as the radiator, yay rock auto!)
Engine Gasket Set - ~$200 (it was cheaper, but i'm rounding. Hooray rock auto, I love that website)
Change all the fluids - $Unknown, but I'll guess $100 (I know it won't be near this much, I'm doing this part on my own)

So total car investment: About $700. With tires, another $500. Giving me a nice, comfortable $600-700 for gas on the way back, and spending cash.

Hooray college! Paying for my car AND education, and debt free. God bless this country. lol

jayoldschool
08-31-09, 12:11 PM
Sting, see if you can find a set of Runway Enduro 75 tires. Nice 1.2" WW, and DIRT cheap. I got them for around 70 each.

http://ssl.delti.com/tyre-pictures/Runway/Enduro75.jpg

To calculate tire/speedo:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Stingroo
08-31-09, 01:03 PM
Yeah Jay, I used a different website I found on here to calculate the spedometer loss, and it said it'd be about 3 mph too slow.

But I'm wondering is it possible to reconfigure it to give me the correct speed USING the 75's. But if they'll rub, I don't really want them, because I can't afford to do like, suspension upgrades right now anyway, and tires are a here-and-now proposition.

Also: do these cars have posi-traction or no? And if not, which wheel is the drive wheel? The right one, I would guess?

bicentennialcadillac
08-31-09, 04:04 PM
Kelly still makes a 235-70-15 in a whitewall under the Navigator Gold line. I'm having a set put on this week.

Cooper also makes a whitewall in our size under the Trendsetter brand.

http://www.kellytires.com/kellytires/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Navigator+Gold&mrktarea=Passenger&treadwidth=235&aspectratio=70&rimdiameter=15&sidewall=WSW[/URL]

[URL]http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_passenger.aspx?tab=1&page=trendsetter_se (http://www.kellytires.com)

Stingroo
08-31-09, 04:15 PM
I found the cooper tires here at Pep Boys, buy 3 get 1 free for a total of $347 mounted and balanced. That's pretty good because that's cheaper than I budgeted above, so I just might do that.

I'll take a look at the Kelly tires too though, just in case. :D

EDIT: Holy crap. The Kelly tires they want $435 to mount and balance all 4.

Pep boys it is then. lol

And hey, with the money I saved over what I budgeted I can even get a GPS. Hooray! (I have a horrifyingly bad sense of direction; and this city is pretty confusing anyway)

bicentennialcadillac
08-31-09, 05:15 PM
Glad you found a good deal.

The Kelly comes with a 70,000 mile warranty vs. the Cooper's 40,000, but I wouldn't pass up the bargain you were offered.

jey
08-31-09, 05:29 PM
Also: do these cars have posi-traction or no? And if not, which wheel is the drive wheel? The right one, I would guess?

No Posi or limited-slip, but both wheels are driven through a differential. This is a Cadillac man, none of this 1-wheel-drive stuff.

Stingroo
08-31-09, 05:45 PM
Yeah man, $350 is good.

AND THEY HAVE THEM IN STOCK. It's a miracle. LOL The Kelly tires would be an extra week wait. Not that it matters, I won't need them for 2 to 3 weeks anyway, but it's good to know.

Whitewalls are rather difficult to find. :(

And Jey, I didn't even know that was possible. lol I'm not a car guru yet. :(

jayoldschool
08-31-09, 09:31 PM
lol I'm not a car guru yet

You're better than some we have around these parts ;)

As for re-programming: yes, it can be done easily. Need either a Hypertech programmer, or (much better) a custom programming cable and the proper software. AKM Cables (http://www.akmcables.com/) is who I recommend (and use for my setup).

Stingroo
08-31-09, 09:42 PM
Aw gee, thanks. I try. lol

So you use their software and cable and tune it from your laptop? That's pretty awesome stuff. Like right out of Fast and the Furious.. only on cars people can drive without ridiculous stickers on them. :P

N0DIH
09-01-09, 12:32 AM
Factory, none of the 94-96's had posi, they got traction control instead.

Limo's had 235 75 15's std.
Non Limo's had 235 70 15's (all)

You can use either, but speedo calibration will off a tad.

Mine has a posi in it now, I swapped rear axles with a posi.... Now to swap in a 3.73 or 3.90 gear....

Tire Rack is a great place to buy rubber, bought a bunch there over the years.

No Posi or limited-slip, but both wheels are driven through a differential. This is a Cadillac man, none of this 1-wheel-drive stuff.

bicentennialcadillac
09-01-09, 09:55 AM
I used to buy from no one but Tire Rack, but they have all but eliminated the whitewalls from their stock. Nothing in 235, just a couple in 225.

I was thrilled when I found the Coopers and Kelly-Springfield models. Probably should hoard a few, as they may go by the boards any day now.

Stingroo
09-01-09, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I forgot about tire rack, but since you mention it, I guess I won't look there. I don't want black sidewalls really. Like the lady at KellyTires on the phone said "A Cadillac is just less of a Cadillac without whitewalls."

She sympathized with my selection. lol

N0DIH
09-01-09, 10:42 AM
Wow, you are right, no WW's at tirerack! I am shocked, bummer, they do not look right with blackwalls.... :(

I have blackwalls on with my snow tires, but that is acceptable....

N0DIH
09-01-09, 10:48 AM
I have a Moates APU1 now, love it, can do a lot, but you pay more for it. PROM Burning, Realtime PROM emulation and Flash mode. But you only need flash mode for the LT1. The AKM cable is a very good one. I have a PCMPerformance Cable too, but I don't like the lack of a OBD1 connector, else it worked very well.

You can homebrew a cable, buy from AKM, PCMPerformance or Moates.

You're better than some we have around these parts ;)

As for re-programming: yes, it can be done easily. Need either a Hypertech programmer, or (much better) a custom programming cable and the proper software. AKM Cables (http://www.akmcables.com/) is who I recommend (and use for my setup).

Stingroo
09-01-09, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I think I'll stick with just ordering the right size tire instead. That seems like something I would find a way of messing up, because I'm prone to overthinking things like that. lol

I'm pretty happy with the price I got from Pep Boys on the Cooper tiers really. I normally am against chain shops, but really... how much could be messed up in mounting and balancing some tires, right? lol

N0DIH
09-01-09, 12:25 PM
I went to a chain for m/b and they wanted $30 each. I went to a local shop that has a NAPA sign out front and they got me $35 for both, and done with a guy who owned the shop, cared about his customers and them returning, didn't try to upsell me on 5 things THEY think they can sell, he was curteous and knowledgeable. He told me I had around 20% left on my rear brakes, but didn't try to push them at all, this was after he brought the car out of the shop all done. So he wasn't trying to push anything at all.

As for WW, try 235 75 15's, they are often much easier to find, and are a good look on the FW/FWB. These are the limo tires. 225 75 15 are a tad narrower (10mm) but have visually the same look as the 235 70 15. And are much more common in WW.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with just ordering the right size tire instead. That seems like something I would find a way of messing up, because I'm prone to overthinking things like that. lol

I'm pretty happy with the price I got from Pep Boys on the Cooper tiers really. I normally am against chain shops, but really... how much could be messed up in mounting and balancing some tires, right? lol

Stingroo
09-01-09, 12:42 PM
Well I think I'm going with them anyway. They're like $60-100 cheaper than ANYWHERE else I've found.

And, I'm sad: the Kumho Solus KR21 doesn't come in whitewall in our size anymore. :(

N0DIH
09-01-09, 12:47 PM
Seems whitewalls are going the way of redlines... :(

Well I think I'm going with them anyway. They're like $60-100 cheaper than ANYWHERE else I've found.

And, I'm sad: the Kumho Solus KR21 doesn't come in whitewall in our size anymore. :(

Stingroo
09-01-09, 12:50 PM
BF Goodrich still makes red lines. I saw them while searching for whitewalls.

But personally, I'm not fond of red lines.

Stingroo
09-01-09, 03:35 PM
So the 75's will rub? Alright. I'll take a look at the Khumo's.

School here is going pretty good. Into week two now. My roommate is a bit of a dolt, but otherwise, it's pretty nice here. A lot of walking on this campus though... easily 2-3 miles per day just to get to my 3 classes, not counting if I want food or something else. lol So I definitely want the car. LOL It's nice and close to the mall too, so it'll be nice to get a job and have some cash too.

Just waiting for my check to come. They say September 18th is the last day you can drop a class, so that's when they'll start paying it out. As of right now it looks like I'll be getting like $1900. PLENTY of money to get the car on the road, and up here. Yay!

So far my checklist is as follows:
Replace Starter - $0 (I already have one :D)
Battery - ~$100 (estimate, it's actually cheaper)
Radiator (Just to be safe probably) - $150 (Yay rock auto!)
Water Pump (Again, to be safe) - $65 (same as the radiator, yay rock auto!)
Engine Gasket Set - ~$200 (it was cheaper, but i'm rounding. Hooray rock auto, I love that website)
Change all the fluids - , but I'll guess $100 (I know it won't be near this much, I'm doing this part on my own)

So total car investment: About $700. With tires, another $500. Giving me a nice, comfortable $600-700 for gas on the way back, and spending cash.

Hooray college! Paying for my car AND education, and debt free. God bless this country. lol

Tiny bump, and an update:

Just got word that the last of my money was approved. Final total I'll recieve in a check: $1948.75

Subtract $450 to pay off my cousin who bought my laptop for me... leaves me with $1498.00

Then another $350 to pay off the balance on my credit card I accumulated this month (which works out so well, building credit on free scholarship money. God bless the USA)

Means my car budget is $1150. I should be okay after all. :) I may skip on the water pump and radiator, then buy them later after I save some money here from my soon-to-be on campus job. Just to compensate for the high price of tags in this godforsaken state, but otherwise, I'll do fine.

sven914
09-01-09, 07:11 PM
According to the 2003 addition of Tire Guide, which is used by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in their tire size recommendations, OE 235/70R15 tires can be safely replaced with 245/70, 225/75, 255/65, 255/60, and 295/50R15 tires.

I have OE fitment 225/75R15's on my car and use Douglas tires, from Wal-Mart with a 3/4 in white wall. For the winter I have Kelly wintermark snow tires with a 1 inch white wall.

Stingroo
09-01-09, 07:13 PM
Hmm.. Thank you sven. Maybe I can find something cheaper in one of the closer sizes.

I'll start checking now. :)

N0DIH
09-02-09, 12:33 AM
I would say the 235 75 15's will NOT rub as was mentioned, maybe on the older, but the 93-96's it was the std tire for the Limo, so there is different, just the tire and wheelbase....

Stingroo
09-07-09, 05:23 PM
Bump, and another couple of questions.

I want to kind of lessen my worry about money during this project, so I'm going to need some help.

1. Do you guys know of any good used tire places? I would LOVE to have a new set of whitewalls, but really, priorities: they're not the most crucial part to getting the car running. I'd be just as well with a set of fairly good black wall tires if I had to go that route; it's not like I have a 50 mile per day commute. It's 4. lol

2. Do you guys have any suggestions to lower the cost of the work? I know about the FSMs because they're preached here endlessly, but I don't have the tools. I'm trying to get the local high school here to do the labor, but in the event that falls through, I'd like a backup plan. I can't stand being without a car up here, campus is so BORING.

3. Anyone have any better prices on the parts there than what I figured? I don't really know where to shop for these things, I just went to rock auto because (again) it's preached on this forum.

Oh, and 4 (and probably the most important) what type of battery do I need? Anyone else with a '94-96 please help! :D

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

N0DIH
09-08-09, 01:46 AM
Batteries, bigger is NOT "better", might have more power, but the life is less with the high density of plates in a high amp battery. Get a 600-700 amp, that is all you need, not to mention, don't put more weight up there than you NEED to have, the car is heavy enough! :)

As I did, I know much of what I know from reading FSM's and countless magazines and learning from older people who have worked on cars for years, listen to them, they can teach you lots, the older they are, often they don't put up with much so they tend to clam up easier... (you know the "young whipper snappers".....)

Bro-Ham
09-08-09, 12:04 PM
Sting, take it easy. :) You don't have to do everything all at once. :) And just relax about the preaching - you can listen to whatever sermons you want whenever you want to. :) To echo N0DIH, there are plenty of people who can give you advice and those who have been playing in the sandbox for awhile have been around the block with some experience and wisdom that is offered freely and it's up to you do decide if it has value to you or if you want to, as Frank Sinatra sang, do it your way. You are undertaking a project that looks great on paper although with your limited budget and fairly lengthy laundry list of repairs you will need to be creative, ambitious, and work hard to make it happen economically. It is an old car and if you really love it then it's worth the pain. Your Cadillac project will consume your money and your time. If you're looking for quick and easy transportation then maybe consider taking your slush fund and buying a cheap and working car to roll around in until you're ready to dive into the deep end of dinking around with relatively expensive toys. Spend the money to do the Cadillac right and in the long run it will save you money. Good luck and everyone, of course, is on your side!! :) :) :) :)

sven914
09-08-09, 03:14 PM
Being from New Jersey/Pennsylvania/Ohio I can't account for the quality of the used tire places in your area, but I did find some:

Tolivers Used Tires: 4001 N Main St Jacksonville, FL 32206- (904) 798-8885
Advanced Tire: New Tires, Used Tires Jacksonville, FL: 7624 Beach Blvd Jacksonville, FL 32216- (904) 724-5678
Fraiser Old Kings Rd Used Tires: 5110 Old Kings Rd Jacksonville, FL 32254- (904) 356-6135
There weren't any close to Stuart.

You can also call around local, new tire shops, and see if they will sell you a set of traded tires.

Stingroo
09-08-09, 03:50 PM
I'll try them out. Thanks Sven. :) It might save me a considerable amount of cash in the process. :)

bicentennialcadillac
09-08-09, 06:01 PM
Very pleased with the Kelly-Springfields. $385 on the road.

Dude asked me if I wanted the whitewalls to show. WTF man, of course!

sven914
09-08-09, 06:50 PM
Dude asked me if I wanted the whitewalls to show. WTF man, of course!

You would be surprised as to how many people buy white wall/ white lettered tires and don't want the white showing. Even worse are the people who get white wall tires, insist on white side out, and don't maintain them (id est; I HATE BROWN WALLS).

One time I was in Wal-Mart, and I got some Bleach White, and when I was walking out I saw this piece of s**t town car. No ornamentation, caved in passenger side fender, cracked windshield, rust everywhere, chipping blue paint, with a silver under coat, ripped up upholstery, and bald, flat, filthy white wall tires. So, just to confuse the owner of that unfortunate heap, I bleached the white walls.