: Cts-v awd?

thedead
08-30-09, 02:20 PM
Any idea why they don't make this car AWD? I live in Ontairo and we get soo much snow... AWD would be really nice to have on a car like this.

N8dawg
08-30-09, 03:06 PM
CTS-V is an American muscle car, it would be against tradition to make it AWD. Buy a used Audi RS4.

thedead
08-30-09, 03:51 PM
RS4's also cost way more :) and I like Cadillac's inside and luxury options.

Caroutisine
08-30-09, 03:56 PM
I would have gotten this option if it was offered.

nradcad
08-30-09, 03:59 PM
They probably won't do an AWD since in-town mpg would go from 12 to 6. :D

Caroutisine
08-30-09, 04:02 PM
They probably won't do an AWD since in-town mpg would go from 12 to 6. :D

Well, maybe I would have :)

concorso
08-30-09, 04:05 PM
Get a used Vette and an SRX.

Qnsryck
08-30-09, 05:47 PM
Get a great set of snow tires. It makes a HUGE difference. I drive an old Wrangler on the snowing days where I don't think they'll clear the roads.

thatcoder
08-30-09, 05:58 PM
get a CTS4 thinks it comes with DI

N8dawg
08-30-09, 07:06 PM
RS4's also cost way more :) and I like Cadillac's inside and luxury options.

Well they don't make them anymore, but you can get a nice 2007-08 with less than 36k miles for around 50 grand or less. And the luxuries in Audi's are notorious for being top of the class.

neuronbob
08-30-09, 09:47 PM
AWD would be really nice to have on a car like this.

It would also add another two hundred pounds or so to this already near-SUV weight car, perhaps taking away some from performance. :thumbdown: Can you imagine the mileage? :eek:

Snow tires should do the trick with this car. If you want it, just buy it, extra wheels, and snow tires. :)

thedead
08-30-09, 11:11 PM
well I would get snow tires either way... It isn't exactly a daily driver, 2-3 times a week, but I have a little 2yr old girl :) so its a no brainier for me if she will ever be in the car to get the tires with our Ontario winters.

Would AWD really reduce mileage that much?

lavaman
08-31-09, 11:01 AM
well I would get snow tires either way... It isn't exactly a daily driver, 2-3 times a week, but I have a little 2yr old girl :) so its a no brainier for me if she will ever be in the car to get the tires with our Ontario winters.

No.

The 08-09 CTS4 gets the same mileage as the RWD. I have heard it said that they put a slightly taller gear in the AWD diff's which offsets any mileage loss the AWD creates.

The downside is slightly slower acceleration.

If our cars were built with AWD I suspect mileage would not be affected very much. I would consider an AWD-V

bpospo
08-31-09, 08:22 PM
i would love an awd also it cant be that hard to do if lambo and audi are doing it. anything to help going around the track faster is a plus in my book as for the muscle car remark; this is not the 70's. 1 other note; has anyone seen that vid of the lambo and the zri? yes the zr1 can take him but the lambo had a much easier time going around the turns. not many of us are race car drivers also.

neuronbob
08-31-09, 11:07 PM
You know what? A CTS-V4 would only extend Motor Trend's CTS-V kill article streak to include RS4s and the like. That can't be all bad. ;)

V-Eight
09-01-09, 01:29 AM

LOL @ Ontario winters. What part?

JBsZ06
09-01-09, 09:59 AM
I don't think the differential they had available would hold the power levels..

I'm just glad the CTS V is out period..

Awesome.. and if you want one...

Just buy a second set of tires designed for the snow..

Makes all the difference in the world...

fwiw...I have an LS3 C6 and a CTS AWD 300hp FE2 and both are awesome cars....but there isn't a day I don't get out of the car and wonder why GM doesn't offer up a CTS Sport...for 50 grand...with the base LS3 or L99 motor and AWD in the CTS..slap on 19 inch rims and call it a day..

Now many of us would buy that.... a 400hp L99 CTS sport with all wheel drive!

liqidvenom
09-01-09, 11:04 AM
No.

The 08-09 CTS4 gets the same mileage as the RWD. I have heard it said that they put a slightly taller gear in the AWD diff's which offsets any mileage loss the AWD creates.

The downside is slightly slower acceleration.

If our cars were built with AWD I suspect mileage would not be affected very much. I would consider an AWD-V

for them to make a awd v they would have to either make it cheaper then the rwd v sedan and slower or more expensive and faster.

either way it is a loosing deal since they would either loose money or have to explain to rwd owners why their lighter car is slower then the more expensive heavier one.

Plus i would imagine that to take the abuse the motor puts out you would need a serious awd system which would be a good 200lbs heavier then the normal v... at least.

poor-sha
09-04-09, 08:59 AM
My experience has been that with good snow tires and modern TC systems a RWD sedan is fine in the snow - at least until the snow gets so deep that ground clearance on the sedan is a problem and AWD won't help you there. I'll be buying snow tires for mine this winter and if it gets really deep I'll break out the dually.

Sorentj
09-08-09, 06:22 PM
Any idea why they don't make this car AWD? I live in Ontairo and we get soo much snow... AWD would be really nice to have on a car like this.

I would too.