: Is the V2 really a daily driver? Here are a few before and after pics.

Short-Throw
08-29-09, 07:04 PM
The heck with garage queens gang!

I took the V out on a soaking wet track before one of my races on Friday. I disabled the safety nannies which I do not recommend unless you have had extensive skid-pad training. I purposely induced over-steer in every turn with trail-braking to find the car's balance with respect to off/on camber turns, increasing /decreasing radii and at varying levels of speed. I'll save my performance review for a future thread, but needless to say the car is amazing.

Disregard the weather forecast, it's irrelevant. This car can take on all elements of nature and that wet stuff from the sky will not hurt it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2624/3868186645_c557d4d78a_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2496/3868186659_a5923f818b_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2486/3868186649_c4d110680b_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2660/3868186655_e075dd87d0_o.jpg

As some of you may recall, I was the guinea pig taking the first delivery of the V2. With 10,000+ now on the odometer, it still feels like day 1 in both fit/finish and more importantly, thrill to drive.

Life is too short and depreciation is eminent despite limited mileage. Get out there and drive this car every chance you get. :thumbsup:

Mike

dvandentop
08-29-09, 07:07 PM
awesome post mike and yes you are correct on the part that they arent going to gain value so get out and drive em!

wfo
08-29-09, 07:50 PM
Garage Queen nothing. Who in their right mind woud gargae queen a monster 4 door sedan?

I just don't get that. I can see a ZR1 or Lambo.

These V's are meant to be driven every friggin day.

Wash them, love'em, stare at'em, but man, drive them. You know what I'm saying?

Oh yeah short-throw, sweet ride.

SlvrBullIT
08-29-09, 08:13 PM
:2thumbs: DD it hard or DIE!!!!

neuronbob
08-29-09, 08:14 PM
My ride is pretty dirty from the last few rainy days as well. I just passed through 5000 miles yesterday and my car is shipshape.

I can hardly wait for winter in this daily driver....the local dead mall's parking lot will be my playground. :D

Great post, Short-Throw! You are our hero. :thumbsup:

caddiedrummer
08-29-09, 08:55 PM
If I recall correctly, Mike got his and a couple days later I got mine so I may have been number 2 or thereabouts.

I have a couple options when I head out on the daily commute (9 to be exact) but the V has become the go to car for the daily and road trips.

Thus far I have taken the V form Virginia to Georgia, and routinley drive it to Charlotte. All told --14,000 and (knock on wood) never been back to dealer. I do my own fluids since I have a lift.

Coming out of an 06 M5 it is simply a better road warrrior in all respects.

Mike, BTW, remind me to tell you about my "classic" Viper buy. VIN 00002.:)

Gary Wells
08-30-09, 07:29 AM
Guess that I had better hide my head in shame, had mine for about a month & 1/2, had it out yesterday for a cruise, I think that it has about 275 miles on it. Never been washed yet. But there are reasons for my garage queening it for the current time. Just what's best for me for the short term. Beautiful car, Mike, do you still have the home-made lowering springs on it.

tbss08
08-30-09, 07:48 AM
Picked mine up on Good Friday this year, 4-11-09. I thought it would be like the Z06 and just drive it occasionally and on the weekends. I admit, I am an addict. I find reasons to drive the V everywhere, work, store, hardware store, flee markets, garage sales, feed store, pet store, dentist office, doctors office, car shows etc... I've parked in dirt fields, driven down dirt roads, driven in the rain and fog. Most things I wouldn't have thought about with the Z.
I've got almost 5,000 miles on the car now and have loved every single minute and every gallon of gas I've used. I'm dreading winter and the chance of snow or ice which means I'll have to drive the wife's Trailblazer SS AWD instead of the V.
I think I've got an addiction with this car. :):)

AuPanda
08-30-09, 09:14 AM
It's a friggn' car; drive it. That said, I like the way it looks and I like to go fast....other than that I would have bought a used pick-up. If I wanted something that would retain value I would have bought gold.

Razorecko
08-30-09, 10:48 AM
Great pics Mike ! - I agree, a car is meant to be driven. A great car is meant to be driven everyday :cool2:....although with my driving i'm already catching up to you with mileage. I just broke 8k in my V - alas though she is a garage queen in the upcoming winter. Which I gotta say with the current weather we are having will probally end up being much colder and more snow filled than last year.

Gary Wells
08-30-09, 11:38 AM
It's a friggn' car; drive it. That said, I like the way it looks and I like to go fast....other than that I would have bought a used pick-up. If I wanted something that would retain value I would have bought gold.

Art:
You're correct, Art, it's a car. I like everything about it, & the more that I learn about it, the more that I like it. It was good meeting you last weekend at DD's, maybe we can get some others to come out & play. Thanks for the info on Steve's Tint, too, I will be getting a hold of them soon.

thunder gray
08-30-09, 12:10 PM
Well I guess I am one of the one's with low milage, delivery on 7/8/09 and 980 miles. That aside you guys are confirming my thoughts on the V " it's is a f'n great car". Thanks for the post and everyones thoughts on the best bang for the buck sport sedan on the planet.

Short-Throw
08-30-09, 02:32 PM
My ride is pretty dirty from the last few rainy days as well. I just passed through 5000 miles yesterday and my car is shipshape.

I can hardly wait for winter in this daily driver....the local dead mall's parking lot will be my playground. :D

Great post, Short-Throw! You are our hero. :thumbsup:

Do your homework first and make sure there aren't any parking curbs or speed bumps hidden by snow. Also, many people like to practice in a big parking lot which can be helpful, but try to pick out target points to steer your car towards or around. Counter-steering alone isn't enough if you are just sliding around. Much like hitting golf balls at a driving range, easy to do with no target in mind.

Mike

Gary Wells
08-30-09, 02:37 PM
Well I guess I am one of the one's with low milage, delivery on 7/8/09 and 980 miles. That aside you guys are confirming my thoughts on the V " it's is a f'n great car". Thanks for the post and everyones thoughts on the best bang for the buck sport sedan on the planet.
Well, Lee, at least you are not as bad as I am about this, I've only 300 or just barely under.

Short-Throw
08-30-09, 02:39 PM
Guess that I had better hide my head in shame, had mine for about a month & 1/2, had it out yesterday for a cruise, I think that it has about 275 miles on it. Never been washed yet. But there are reasons for my garage queening it for the current time. Just what's best for me for the short term. Beautiful car, Mike, do you still have the home-made lowering springs on it.

Gary,

Not sure where the confusion came from, but I do not have home-made lowering springs on my car. It's bone stock. You may recall I questioned such a mod would compromise suspension geometry and would require a bump steer kit and possibly adjustable spindles.

Mike

nradcad
08-30-09, 02:45 PM
Funny, I was just getting ready to start a thread about the Vs road tripness, but it sounds like people don't have any reservations about long drives on the car.

Gary Wells
08-30-09, 03:16 PM
Gary,

Not sure where the confusion came from, but I do not have home-made lowering springs on my car. It's bone stock. You may recall I questioned such a mod would compromise suspension geometry and would require a bump steer kit and possibly adjustable spindles.

Mike

Oops, my bad, Mike, confusion came from my old age & senior minutes that graduated from senior moments. Someone on here has a black CTS-V that they shortened the springs on, only a tad, but the car does have the greatest stance though.

Short-Throw
08-30-09, 06:05 PM
I'm dreading winter and the chance of snow or ice which means I'll have to drive the wife's Trailblazer SS AWD instead of the V.
I think I've got an addiction with this car. :):)

I drove mine all Winter last year and although the performance aspect had to be put on hold with frigid temps, all the amenities more than made up for it. Winter tires make the car very predictable and safe. Remember, winter tires are for cold weather because they are more pliable, not just for snow like most people think. Of course nothing shabby about a TB SS AWD either.

Mike

neuronbob
08-30-09, 09:01 PM
Do your homework first and make sure there aren't any parking curbs or speed bumps hidden by snow. Also, many people like to practice in a big parking lot which can be helpful, but try to pick out target points to steer your car towards or around. Counter-steering alone isn't enough if you are just sliding around. Much like hitting golf balls at a driving range, easy to do with no target in mind.

Mike

:thumbsup:

Already done, though some repeat reconnoitering will need to be done in late fall to look for new potholes. The idea is that a little play will help with control of the car in the snow and ice. A little driving school is planned for the fall as well....

Nutz
08-30-09, 09:08 PM
Epic thread Mike! Nice to see someone using the car for some fun and having the sachel to show it, not to mention proving it can be cleaned up well. I yearn for the opportunity to do EXACTLY what you mentioned, Tanner Foust style power slides at every possible chance. I actually begged Feffman to use the drift circle at Summit Point in the a.m. before the event with a firm "NO" (but understandibly it wasn't what I signed up for).
I would want at least 2 friends on different curves video taping the powerslides just for the memory too.

So... ANY VIDEO??!!! :bouncy:

lewster01
08-30-09, 11:42 PM
Our V has to travel a half mile down a dirt road from garage to paved road. It handles it just fine, it is actually smoother on the wash board parts than our XC90.

Short-Throw
08-31-09, 09:38 AM
Epic thread Mike! Nice to see someone using the car for some fun and having the sachel to show it, not to mention proving it can be cleaned up well. I yearn for the opportunity to do EXACTLY what you mentioned, Tanner Foust style power slides at every possible chance. I actually begged Feffman to use the drift circle at Summit Point in the a.m. before the event with a firm "NO" (but understandibly it wasn't what I signed up for).
I would want at least 2 friends on different curves video taping the powerslides just for the memory too.

So... ANY VIDEO??!!! :bouncy:

Ha, I love your enthusiasm but Im not sure I would categorize the V as a rally car, at least not from the showroom floor! :lol: I'm a big fan of friction circle exercises and it would be nice to see more driving events include them. I was instructing at an event at NJMP a few months ago and we encountered a deluge. We quickly set up a friction circle and from a learning perspective many enjoyed that more-so than the track.

Mike

demorgan59
08-31-09, 09:54 AM
Ha, I love your enthusiasm but Im not sure I would categorize the V as a rally car, at least not from the showroom floor! :lol: I'm a big fan of friction circle exercises and it would be nice to see more driving events include them. I was instructing at an event at NJMP a few months ago and we encountered a deluge. We quickly set up a friction circle and from a learning perspective many enjoyed that more-so than the track.

Mike
Does Autobahn have enough acreage to put in a friction circle (with sprinklers)? That would be epic.

Short-Throw
08-31-09, 10:06 AM
Does Autobahn have enough acreage to put in a friction circle (with sprinklers)? That would be epic.

Already there! We presently have two areas where we run skid control and one is sprinkler fed. We use the dry lot to teach Police advanced car control and accident avoidance exercises.

Mike

neuronbob
08-31-09, 10:16 AM
Too bad I don't live in Chicago, I'd have to start saving funds for a membership at Autobahn.

Nutz
08-31-09, 10:21 AM

MikePrecisely the deal at Summit Point. It was raining that morning. Do you instruct in car? NJMP has been my primary choice for my next track for a while now (zig zags, short straightaways, and smooth surface). I have multiple youtube videos favortited that I like to watch and study. I live near Mid-Ohio but that track has a little too much straightaway for my taste, and the keyhole is not one of my needs. If so, please notify me of your next trip and I may join you, and I'll hope for rain *jokingly*.

Videos?

poor-sha
08-31-09, 10:36 AM
Our V has to travel a half mile down a dirt road from garage to paved road. It handles it just fine, it is actually smoother on the wash board parts than our XC90.

I agree. I live 2.5 miles down a dirt road and mine is a daily driver as well. It just soaks up the bumps and I usually put it in comp mode just to kick the tail out a little.

As far as road trips go, I've done multiple day trips from VA to NYC with this car (10+ hours driving in a day) with my wife and kids and it's easy and comfortable.

Shall we start a contest for pictures of the dirtiest V? :)

Razorecko
08-31-09, 11:49 AM
That would have to be mine...I only waxed it and washed it by hand once. The other times i just hose it off...Of course thats because its black - and the paint still looks new after 8k. I think people don't realize that unless you' use perfectly clean rags and good washing fluid the more you wash black the worse it gets with scratches

Short-Throw
08-31-09, 06:42 PM
Too bad I don't live in Chicago, I'd have to start saving funds for a membership at Autobahn.

You're close enough where you can come out for a few events. Satellite radio and temperature controlled seats on the way down, and smoky rubber while you're here!

Short-Throw
08-31-09, 07:01 PM
Precisely the deal at Summit Point. It was raining that morning. Do you instruct in car? If so, please notify me of your next trip and I may join you, and I'll hope for rain *jokingly*.

I spend a lot of time in car instructing but purely for passion. My reward is seeing drivers learn car control and drive faster safely. I've only been to NJMP once as it's a bit far for me to make regular visits there.

Short-Throw
08-31-09, 07:11 PM
Shall we start a contest for pictures of the dirtiest V? :)

That would be a great thread but how many people actually reach for their camera when the car is filthy? That's like actresses themselves, not the paparazzi, snapping pics of themselves w/o makeup. :D

RWFJR
08-31-09, 08:49 PM
Hey...Stop that guy. That's my car. The clean one!

Short-Throw
09-01-09, 08:19 AM
I think people don't realize that unless you' use perfectly clean rags and good washing fluid the more you wash black the worse it gets with scratches

You are correct with respect to clean rags/towels, but note that nylon stitching at the ends are common in cheaper materials and will act like sandpaper.

liqidvenom
09-01-09, 09:53 AM
Nice pics OP

I never understood why anyone would have a car/truck and garage queen it....even sports cars like vipers/vettes and exotics are meant to be driven and driven hard.

it seems like you must not like the car that much if you are willing to let it sit while you drive something else.

x-srtjeep
10-03-09, 04:21 PM
Nice pics OP

I never understood why anyone would have a car/truck and garage queen it....even sports cars like vipers/vettes and exotics are meant to be driven and driven hard.

it seems like you must not like the car that much if you are willing to let it sit while you drive something else.

Ahem, let me explain it to you, sometimes you have to wait to get some points back on your license....the V seems to be able to get tickets from a roll in less than 6 seconds. Sometimes the queen must rest in the garage not by choice.

Gary Wells
10-04-09, 08:31 AM
Nice pics OP
liqidvenom;
Not necessarily true in all cases, but a valid point just the same.
There are a lot of peeps that "garage Queen" an object, generally a vehicle, but not always. Motorcycles, airplanes, firearms, any object of affection comes to mind. I currently "garage queen" 2 cars, 1 is a pristine '87 turbo Buick with about 26K original miles on it, and the other, # 2, a '09 Cad CTS-V with just at 500 miles on it, which I have owned about 3 months. I have a 3rd car, a '02 vette ZO6 with about 85K miles on it which I use as a daily driver. I am planning on retiring in about 7 months and will be on a fixed income (Social Security with a little savings). The '09 CTS-V is undoubtedly the last new car that I can buy, and therefore I would like to enjoy it's nice new pristine condition for my remaining years (I'm almost 66). I treat the turbo Buick in the same manner. Different strokes for different folks, pretty much. As much as I appreciate & respect your opinion towards your vehicles, you need to consider that others have valid reasons to maintain their vehicles in the manner / fashion that they determine best for their cause.

nynd
10-04-09, 10:51 AM
liqidvenom;
There are a lot of peeps that "garage Queen" an object, generally a vehicle, but not always. Motorcycles, airplanes, firearms, any object of affection comes to mind. I currently "garage queen" 2 cars, 1 is a pristine '87 turbo Buick with about 26K original miles on it, and the other, # 2, a '09 Cad CTS-V with just at 500 miles on it, which I have owned about 3 months. I have a 3rd car, a '02 vette ZO6 with about 85K miles on it which I use as a daily driver. I am planning on retiring in about 7 months and will be on a fixed income (Social Security with a little savings). The '09 CTS-V is undoubtedly the last new car that I can buy, and therefore I would like to enjoy it's nice new pristine condition for my remaining years (I'm almost 66). I treat the turbo Buick in the same manner. Different strokes for different folks, pretty much. As much as I appreciate & respect your opinion towards your vehicles, you need to consider that others have valid reasons to maintain their vehicles in the manner / fashion that they determine best for their cause.

Gary, Any pics of that Buick, I'm sure we'd all like to see some!!

Gary Wells
10-04-09, 11:35 AM
The '87 Turbo Buick is as much of an attention prostitute as the '09 Cad CTS-V is. This pic was taken at about 15K or 16K mileage, probably about 3-4 years ago and was basically stock with some bolt-ons under the hood and some handling improvements made on the suspension. Those are the original rims & tires and are in storage now. Tires probably still have about 8K worth of mileage left on them.

http://www.scandc.com/images/87%20turbo-t%20before.jpg

This pic was taken about a year after I went to the Savitske Classic & Custom Stage II pole position upper A-arms & after I installed the now-showing TTA-GTA-TA 16" GNX look a like rims & Michelin tires, & probably a few other under the hood mods. This car is not a street beast, but a very unsuspecting stock appearing 12.7 1/4 mile car on methanol injection & street tires & rims. Most people, peeps included don't have a clue as to what this car is. Sorry to disrupt the thread.

http://www.scandc.com/images/New%20pics%2087%20turbo-t%20after%20SC&C%20install%20001.jpg

liqidvenom
10-04-09, 12:21 PM
liqidvenom;

well yours is a bit different. i was meaning people who owned a new v, yet drove a 90 civic because they didnt want their v to see rain, shade, night time, etc.

you daily a vette, you get respect from me in spades.

Gary Wells
10-04-09, 12:30 PM
well yours is a bit different. i was meaning people who owned a new v, yet drove a 90 civic because they didnt want their v to see rain, shade, night time, etc.

you daily a vette, you get respect from me in spades.

Thanks for the props, liqidvenom, a lot on how a person treats a car is unfortunately based upon at what point that person is in his life of expected earning potential, and mine is, well, about a year away at best, with very few nuts squirreled away in my tree.

Hemmings Muscle Machines, maybe May of this year, showcasing my car with the actual pictures being taken about a year after I bought my car.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2009/05/01/hmn_feature6.html

Now back to our normal scheduled broadcast (thread). Sorry for any interruptions.

radix
10-04-09, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the props, liqidvenom, a lot on how a person treats a car is unfortunately based upon at what point that person is in his life of expected earning potential, and mine is, well, about a year away at best, with very few nuts squirreled away in my tree.

Hemmings Muscle Machines, maybe May of this year, showcasing my car with the actual pictures being taken about a year after I bought my car.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2009/05/01/hmn_feature6.html

Now back to our normal scheduled broadcast (thread). Sorry for any interruptions.

sweet write up, enjoyed it !

nynd
10-04-09, 02:06 PM
Yes - very sweet rides! The GTA rims (mesh BBS) do have a nice look to them, especially with the white on black. Thanks for posting the pics.

neuronbob
10-04-09, 03:44 PM
Sorry to contribute to the threadjack, but Gary......that GNX is HOT. You are one lucky bastage. :)

Gary Wells
10-04-09, 04:40 PM
Sorry to contribute to the threadjack, but Gary......that GNX is HOT. You are one lucky bastage. :)
Sorry, but close. The white Buick is commonly referred to as a "Turbo Buick", in '86 they were referred to as turbo T-Types, or just "T-Types". In '87, the "T-Type" became a handling package available on non-turbo Buicks also, so the "T-Types" of '86 became just a "Turbo-T" in '87, last year of the platform.
For their reigning marque, Buick built just 547 GNX's, all black, all bucket seat configuration, all with a special rear end lock up link system, all with Stewart-Warner gaging in special dashes, built by a combination of ASC / Maclaren.
They had some turbo, intercooler, & motor improvements which boosted the crank HP up to about 275 or so. They were about 1/2 to 3/4 of a sec quicker that the GN/T-Types/Turbo-Ts of '87 vintage. They also came factory with wheels that are almost identical in appearance as mine, but were made by a company in Japan. Thanks for the interest & props.

neuronbob
10-04-09, 05:22 PM
My error! I stand corrected. :) You are still one lucky bastage, though!

Gary Wells
10-04-09, 05:30 PM
Owning a new '09 CTS-V & a '87 *Turbo* Buick both as toys in the attic, so to speak, and a slightly beat '02 ZO6 for a DD, I do realize how blessed I am in that department and I don't feel under privileged too much. I am aware that things could be worse, and at my age, probably will get worse, but I still get to shoe the *turbo* Buick one weekend and the Cad CTS-V the next, I am aware just how lucky I am.

demorgan59
10-05-09, 10:50 AM
What the heck - this thread is totally jacked anyway.... I almost bought a new '87 T-Type in dark gray, but the dealer wouldn't budge on sticker (sound familiar?) I think it was around $17,000 which actually was quite a bit for a new car back then. I'm still on the lookout for a GNX with less than 8,000 miles to preserve and enjoy (I don't consider myself a collector). Really nice car Gary - thanks for sharing.

Razorecko
10-05-09, 11:18 AM
sweet buick gary