: Shocks for 1976 Fleetwood

bicentennialcadillac
08-29-09, 06:05 PM
I'm ready to get my '76 FWB's posterior back to a proper ride height. I've looked at getting new Monroe Sensa-Tracks all around, but the Monroe catalog only lists the Max-Air adjustable shocks for the rear.

Anyone know of a non-air suspension solution? I'm thinking some coilovers would do the job, but I've seen no information leading me to believe there is a model to suit this beautiful, heavy, heavy, heavy car.

Bro-Ham
08-29-09, 06:14 PM
If you want non-height adjustable rear shocks try shocks that fit a 1976 Sedan deVille which did not have as standard the automatic level control. There is less than a 100 pound difference between the 1976 Sedan deVille and the 1976 Fleetwood Brougham.

N0DIH
08-30-09, 08:44 AM
By all means, order the shocks for a 76 Impala Police car, these are often NOT in the computer. The improvement is dramatic over the stock shocks which are pathetic in how poor the dampening is.

My grandfather gave my dad a set of NAPA shocks back in the 70's and he never put them on for a while till I got the car and I put them on and looked up the PN and found them to be the shocks for the Police, option, they were awesome.

I have used police shocks on every car I have that can, even my 80 Turbo T/A and 85 Cutlass got them.

bicentennialcadillac
08-30-09, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

The '76 deVille takes Monroe Sensa-Trac 5815 for the front, 5820 for the back.

A '76 Impala police rig takes Monroe Severe Service 550012 in the front, 550013 in the rear.

I like the sturdier look of the police shocks, but I fear losing the "boulevard" ride. This car is supposed to be soft.

N0DIH
08-30-09, 03:02 PM
The ride itself won't change much at all (very minor change in ride), but it will be under more control, the springs are still softies with lots of travel, the shock will provide more control of the bouncing.

Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

The '76 deVille takes Monroe Sensa-Trac 5815 for the front, 5820 for the back.

A '76 Impala police rig takes Monroe Severe Service 550012 in the front, 550013 in the rear.

I like the sturdier look of the police shocks, but I fear losing the "boulevard" ride. This car is supposed to be soft.

brougham_geezer
08-31-09, 09:49 PM
Still looking for shocks, bicentennialcadillac? Coincidentally, my brother just did the rear shocks on his '76 Fleetwood Brougham.

He was finding that the rear was sagging/sitting too low, and wallowed over bumps. Originally, the car was equipped with Level-Ride air shocks in the rear, but previous owners had disconnected the compressor and replaced the air shocks with el-cheapo generic standard absorbers. These were not up for the job, so we went the Coil-over route.

Afterward the car recovered from bumps better and sat perkier, but not quite high enough. This is because, the rear springs on the cars equipped with air shocks aren't as stiff as those without. To make up the difference without swapping the springs, we installed some spacers in the springs, and it increased the ride-height juuuust enough so that it sits right now: not too high, and not too low.

I'm not a big fan of the Level Ride system. It complicates things once it gives out. I am very happy my '80 CDV lacks that particular feature. It has nice thick coils in the rear compared to the spindly, lame looking ones that were on my '89 Brougham (which had Level-Ride.)

I could find out/provide the info on what coilovers he used (I believe they were Monroe), if interested. Let me know!

bicentennialcadillac
08-31-09, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the word.

I'm probably gonna to outfit the car with the severe service shocks and fresh deVille/Calais spec springs all around. All after I give the SS shocks a go in my Roadmaster to see if I like the feel.

jayoldschool
08-31-09, 11:27 PM
Just a heads up: the Severe Service shocks are MUCH stiffer than regular shocks. I have them on my 92 RMW, and the ride is firm. It is a little harsh over roads that aren't smooth. The handling benefit is noticeable, however. They are also very robust in their construction. The piston rod is actually larger than the Bilstein application for the same car. I have Bilsteins on my SS, and they handle better and are not as harsh. Of course, they are almost three times the price...

N0DIH
09-01-09, 12:20 AM
FE1 or FE2 car? Mine's a FE2 car (same spring RATE as Impala SS, just taller ride height) and having only front 9C1 shocks (Police) and Wagon (stiffer) springs in rear with AC Delco air shocks in the rear, and the ride was excellent, very enjoyable. Even took a 50 mph run across a median (intentional) to do an interstate u-turn and it was controlled well.

Wonder if the smaller car (77-96 B/D car instead of 71-76 B/C/D cars) FE1 spring rate and the 9C1 shocks isn't a good combo, but 9C1 springs or FE2/FE4 suspension is matched well at. But when I put them on my 76 Delta with the FE1 springs and it was closer to what I expected to be.

Just a heads up: the Severe Service shocks are MUCH stiffer than regular shocks. I have them on my 92 RMW, and the ride is firm. It is a little harsh over roads that aren't smooth. The handling benefit is noticeable, however. They are also very robust in their construction. The piston rod is actually larger than the Bilstein application for the same car. I have Bilsteins on my SS, and they handle better and are not as harsh. Of course, they are almost three times the price...