: Buying a V on Monday

nradcad
08-28-09, 08:43 PM
Can't wait.... First thanks Reiland. 'preciate it. You should head to Houston some time for a ride. In fact, I'd figure you'd be headed this way as some point soon.

Anyway. I honestly can't decide between Recaros and standard seats. I know if I don't get the Recaros, I'm gonna be pi$$ed at somepoint, but it is another 3 grand or so.

I'm fortunate to have these problems I suppose.

neuronbob
08-28-09, 09:03 PM
Oh no, not another regular vs. Recaro seat catfight. :p

J/K, congrats and don't forget to post pics when you take delivery.

nradcad
08-28-09, 09:05 PM
Ya, I'm actually not asking anyone's opinion on the seats, just saying it is what I'm contemplating right now. I'll def post pics.

lavaman
08-29-09, 08:47 AM
Are you contemplating colors too?

nradcad
08-29-09, 09:09 AM
Are you contemplating colors too?

Oh no. Black. It's gonna be BA. Do you guys find you use the sunroof all that much. I'd really like to not have it, but both Vs I'm looking at it have it. I wonder how much weight it adds and stiffness loss you end up with.

wfo
08-29-09, 11:30 AM
IMHO...You've got to do Recaro's...these are way too sweet. You need rigity and support in te right areas in a sports sedan. The seat coolers are first rate and the bolstering option are way too cool. Besides, your ass gets cradeled enough in that high back leather office pod every day.

nynd
08-29-09, 11:44 AM
I was debating the same as you initially.. but glad I made up my mind and went for them... lets put it this way, your buying a performance sedan, get the performance seating.. really sets the car off right!

thebigjimsho
08-29-09, 12:18 PM
Must get moonroof...

Barry626
08-29-09, 02:32 PM
Anyway. I honestly can't decide between Recaros and standard seats. I know if I don't get the Recaros, I'm gonna be pi$ at somepoint,.
Yep, you sure are.
Buy them they are worth every penny & then some!

Caroutisine
08-29-09, 02:41 PM
I don't know about the seats, but I do like the standard ones that came in mine. For the sunroof...I wouldn't have ordered it that way, but if you're getting one off the lot and that's wll the choices are, it's not bad. Makes some creaking noises from time to time though. I don't use it.

62Jeff
08-29-09, 02:59 PM
If you can test drive a car with, and without Recaros, do it.

Although it seems 99% of all people who have published opinions on the Recaros love them, there's still 1% that don't.

Make up your own mind, don't get trapped in another recaro debate based on what people like. "We" aren't "you", so what we do or don't like has little bearing on what you want.

lewster01
08-29-09, 03:04 PM
I was born and raised in the Houston area, and for me I would get the Recaros for the simple fact they are ventilated. IMO they make dealing with the Summer time heat much more bearable. I don't think you will regret the extra $$'s you have to plunk down for them.
The right peddle in these machines is rather intoxicating, enjoy the new ride.

Caroutisine
08-29-09, 03:23 PM
Yes, to get vented seats in the V you must get the Recaros, so if you want this feature then you can decide just based on that. I never really used the vented seats on my STS, so this option didn't really matter to me. But then again, neither did the sunroof. I ended up with a car that has one and not the other. Like you, I was just getting one off the lot, so choices were limited. By the way, the black looks awesome on these cars. Enjoy.

nradcad
08-29-09, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm not trying to start a Recaro debate, though I'm leaning towards getting them. In any event, who would have thought Recaros and Brembos on a Caddy? Wow, how far they've come. I am very excited to get this car. I do have a serious question though. What the heck is up with the differential? Are there some serious defects with them? I keep hearing/reading things the allude to this.

62Jeff
08-29-09, 03:59 PM
I do have a serious question though. What the heck is up with the differential? Are there some serious defects with them? I keep hearing/reading things the allude to this.

Completely redesigned for 2009 to handle the extra torque. If what you are reading are issues with 2007 and older CTS-Vs, that information is not applicable to the 2009.

thebigjimsho
08-29-09, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm not trying to start a Recaro debate, though I'm leaning towards getting them. In any event, who would have thought Recaros and Brembos on a Caddy? Wow, how far they've come. I am very excited to get this car. I do have a serious question though. What the heck is up with the differential? Are there some serious defects with them? I keep hearing/reading things the allude to this.
Recaros? No. Brembos? Of course. Been doing it for over half a decade...

Caroutisine
08-29-09, 04:26 PM
The only thing I have seen about the '09 rear end is that it should have a cooler added if you are going to track the car.

Mystical_Ice
08-30-09, 02:18 AM
Glad to hear you're purchasing one :) What dealership is it?

ALSO, and more importantly, as soon as you buy, PM me your contact info (cell#, name, email addr) so i can make sure to include you when us Houston Vs get together for meets, dinner, etc.

SlvrBullIT
08-30-09, 03:53 AM

ALSO, and more importantly, as soon as you buy, PM me your contact info (cell#, name, email addr) so i can make sure to include you when us Houston Vs get together for meets, dinner, etc.

Does that offer extend to an owner a few hours away in New Braunfels......:bouncy:

nradcad
08-30-09, 02:51 PM

Well, as long as my insurance company doesn't come back and tell me my premiums are going up by a crazy amount, it will be from Ron Carter. Coming from a BMW M3, I can't expect the premiums will be that much higher. I dunno, what do some of you 30 somethings pay with married, clean records?

62Jeff
08-30-09, 07:36 PM
Well, as long as my insurance company doesn't come back and tell me my premiums are going up by a crazy amount, it will be from Ron Carter.

Got mine from Ron Carter Cadillac in January. I have nothing but praise for the way they handled my purchase, and my salesman Andy.

Gary Wells
08-30-09, 08:41 PM
Congratulations on your prospective purchase.

RFALK347
08-30-09, 11:24 PM
I to would be interested in these meets. I just bought my V August 18th........

MReiland
08-31-09, 07:01 AM
Send me the Pics Nic!!! I can just see Brian ordering the Procharger for the vette now that you are getting that thing!!!

nradcad
08-31-09, 07:37 AM
Sure thing man. Should have it mid afternoon.

thatcoder
08-31-09, 01:25 PM
waiting on the pics..

nradcad
08-31-09, 01:36 PM
will be late afternoon, nice to know the insurance is only gonna go up 6 dollars a month. I can handle that.

MReiland
08-31-09, 02:07 PM
That's only until your first ticket :thehand:

thatcoder
08-31-09, 02:49 PM
That's only until your first ticket :thehand:

How much more did your insurance go up after your first ticket?

nradcad
08-31-09, 08:58 PM
We should change the link to 'Bought a V on Monday." Woooooooohooooooooooo!
Here are some crappy iPhone pics until I can take proper ones. Ron Carter made it pretty smooth, considering it was GMS on a Black V. (which they weren't exactly excited about.) I got the speech on how much money they weren't gonna make on that car.

Well, I take this back. Can't seem to upload pictures. I'll keep trying.

MReiland
08-31-09, 09:51 PM
:highfive: Sweeeeet, who do I need to work on next down there?

nradcad
08-31-09, 09:54 PM
:highfive: Sweeeeet, who do I need to work on next down there?

This car is effin bad ass. 8 miles on the odometer. What kind of break-in period is there. Salesman talked about the mythical 500 miles. But honestly, he really didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about.

neuronbob
08-31-09, 10:19 PM
Break-in is really 500 miles. Welcome to the (very exclusive) club!

....and once again, MReiland snags another GM buyer. :thumbsup:

62Jeff
08-31-09, 10:31 PM
Break-in is really 500 miles. Welcome to the (very exclusive) club!

Yep.

The brakes have a bedding in period of, I think, 200 miles (it's in the owner's manual). The drivetrain has the 500 mile break in. With roller-cams and different piston ring materials it's no longer about breaking in the cam, but is about breaking in the rear end and transmission gears.

nradcad
08-31-09, 11:05 PM
Do you have to do anything special to bed in the brakes? Funny, but I was just getting ready to ask this question. Typically, you do a series of high speed stops and whatnot. So, after 500 miles, can you get on it? Or are there other things to watch out for?

MReiland
09-01-09, 06:44 AM
Do you have to do anything special to bed in the brakes? Funny, but I was just getting ready to ask this question. Typically, you do a series of high speed stops and whatnot. So, after 500 miles, can you get on it? Or are there other things to watch out for?

You have to watch out for the car behind you running into you when you stop much quicker than them.....

I have always heard to vary the vehicle speeds during break in (I guess the owners manual is the only thing that can offer suggestions) but then I have heard that modern engines running synthetic don't fully break in for multiple thousands of miles due to the ultra low friction.

MReiland
09-01-09, 06:46 AM

Musssst...... convert..... BMW drivers..... :worship:

mik2718
09-01-09, 07:13 AM
From the owner's manual:

New Vehicle Break-In

Notice: The vehicle does not need an elaborate
break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if
you follow these guidelines:
Keep your speed at 70 mph (113 km/h) or less for
the first 1,500 miles (2 414km).
Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or
slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not
make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake
or slow the vehicle.
Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
(322 km) or so. During this time the new brake
linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new
linings can mean premature wear and earlier
replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every
time you get new brake linings.
Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Towing a
Trailer (CTS-V) on page 4-29 for the trailer towing
capabilities of the vehicle and more information.

Following break-in, engine speed and load can be
gradually increased.

Short-Throw
09-01-09, 08:10 AM
I have always heard to vary the vehicle speeds during break in (I guess the owners manual is the only thing that can offer suggestions) but then I have heard that modern engines running synthetic don't fully break in for multiple thousands of miles due to the ultra low friction.

The break in is for the drive-train, specifically the differential, not the engine. I recommend following the owners manual to avoid noisy chatter later on.

MReiland
09-01-09, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the info Short-Throw. (I'm Electrical and Software Controls)

Nic, Looks like you shouldn't tow a boat during your breakin either :bouncy: ( I guess I have seen Vette's with small trailers so it is at least possible to tow something with a V....)

abbas
09-02-09, 01:38 AM
Just got my first speeding ticket. It took me about 7 days from the purchase of the car. So much for keeping it under 70. It was for 81 in 65.