: Service Air Bag

KrazyKeith
08-28-09, 07:20 PM
So my airbag light came on with this message at starup "service air bag" now I dont have a "tech-2" scanner but my friend has a snap on scanner that does abs and airbags on certain models as well as obd-II, he scanned it and no codes show, he cleared the light, 20 seconds later its back on, yet no codes are present.

What the heck could this be ?

He mentioned a corkscrew goes bad in the steerin column and that could throw it off? I dunno. He said maybe his scanner just dont know the code and I should still try to find a tech 2 scanner to get it scanned.

I'm stumped as well in addition to a "service ride control" light that comes up every startup after 5 ft of driving. The shocks dont leak and the compressor works fine. I dont get it.

Other then that I love my LadEy.

Can anyone help me out, point me in the right direction, hints, helpers, maybes? Common issues ?

Thanks in advance,
Keith

:thumbsup:

sk7
08-28-09, 07:53 PM
Maybe the ABS module isnt getting any power, so the light comes on in the dash and u get no codes from the scanner cuz the module is not responding? I drove my lade without the front seats (and no interior) so I had to remove the ABS module. I took out the fuse (its in the drivers side dash panel) to be sure I didnt screw up anything. I would check to make sure the fuse's contacts are all good, and the ground for the ABS module is also ok. Check the post about the million dollar question relay, I posted the 3 possible causes for the air ride system troubleshooting. I agree tho on the clockspring wear in the steering wheel, its a classic! All buttons-functions in the steering wheel work ok?

KrazyKeith
08-30-09, 05:33 PM
Maybe the ABS module isnt getting any power, so the light comes on in the dash and u get no codes from the scanner cuz the module is not responding? I drove my lade without the front seats (and no interior) so I had to remove the ABS module. I took out the fuse (its in the drivers side dash panel) to be sure I didnt screw up anything. I would check to make sure the fuse's contacts are all good, and the ground for the ABS module is also ok. Check the post about the million dollar question relay, I posted the 3 possible causes for the air ride system troubleshooting. I agree tho on the clockspring wear in the steering wheel, its a classic! All buttons-functions in the steering wheel work ok?

Thanks for the reply sk7 !

by ABS module, are you referrin to the brake abs or the "air bag system" module? Where is the module located? I am going out now to check the fuse. My internet has been on/off the past few days, just got it fixed and remembered as well about my post here and that damn light! I am gonna do a search for your reply on the other thread. Appricate your help!

-Keith

sk7
08-30-09, 07:44 PM
No prob! The ABS module is located right under the drivers side seat. I'll check tomorrow to be sure but the ground is under the passenger side seat I think.

KrazyKeith
08-30-09, 07:59 PM
No prob! The ABS module is located right under the drivers side seat. I'll check tomorrow to be sure but the ground is under the passenger side seat I think.

Thank You !!!

I checked the fuse and it was good, no corrision or anything like that. My first guess was the pass side seatbelt thing but I guess not with no code unless my buddies scanner is just outdated and I need to use a tech-II.

On to the next issue for now, haha, at least I got to change out my amp's ground (new shorter one) and also a burnt up feed at the batterys fuse for the amp, The proper stuff is there for the amp now. Feel good knowin I got at least something done!

Time for a :alchi:

sk7
08-30-09, 09:59 PM
X2 :alchi: but I'm at work all nite so nocando :tisk:

I'll have a look if there's a way to diagnose the driver side airbag from under the dash. SRS diagnostic of the unit is via a resistance value. It would tell us if the clockspring is faulty or not, after checking the steering unit itself.

ewill3rd
08-31-09, 07:46 AM
I'm a little confused but here are a few things you should know.

The ABS module is mounted on the frame rail underneath the driver position under the truck.
The ground for the ABS module is on the frame rail, I believe.

There are literally hundreds of codes that can set here and dozens of issues the SIR system could have. Without codes you are just going to waste time and money by guessing.

The air bag module (SDM) is located under the driver's seat but I'd advise against messing with it unless you know you need to go there.
Get the codes and report back.

sk7
08-31-09, 09:03 PM
Sorry about that I meant to say SRS module (SDM)! I've had nuff troubles with the ECBM to know exactly where that one is...

ewill3rd
08-31-09, 09:15 PM
:lol:
Yeah, I bet you know where it is.
Maybe you got EBCM on the brain now!

sk7
08-31-09, 09:38 PM
Correct! I'm still waiting for my rebuilt ECBM module to get back from ATE, which reminds me I got a broken screw to take care of in the body of the ABS unit... Ouf I'll just open up another cold one and move on to sumthin else...

sk7
08-31-09, 09:50 PM
Ewill is right about the SRS codes, there's quite a few and it should be easy to diagnose exactly what the problem is once you know which one is set. Here is an example from the service manual relating to the steering wheel.

DTC B0022, B0024, or B0026
Circuit Description
The inflatable restraint steering wheel module deployment loop consists of a steering wheel module, steering wheel module coil, steering wheel module high signal circuit, and steering wheel module low signal circuit. Shorting bars are used on the steering wheel module connector as well as the steering wheel module coil connector which will short together the steering wheel module high and steering wheel module low signal circuits when the connector is disconnected. This will help to prevent unwanted deployment of the inflator module during servicing. When the ignition is turned ON, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) performs continuous diagnostic tests on the deployment loops to check for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage. If a malfunction is detected, a DTC will be stored.

Conditions for Running the DTC
Ignition 1 voltage is within the normal operating voltage range.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
DTC B0022 will set when the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is less than 1.3 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
DTC B0024 will set when one of the following conditions occurs:
The SDM detects the voltage at steering wheel module high signal is greater than 6 volts for 500 milliseconds.
The SDM detects the voltage at steering wheel module high signal is less than 2.4 volts and steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is less than 6 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
DTC B0026 will set when one of the following conditions occurs:
The SDM detects the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is greater than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
The SDM detects the voltage at steering wheel module high signal is less than 2.4 volts and steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is 6 ohms or greater for 500 milliseconds.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The SDM commands ON the AIR BAG indicator via Class 2 serial data.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The condition responsible for setting the DTC no longer exists.
You issue a scan tool CLEAR DTCs command.
A history DTC will clear once 255 malfunction free ignition cycles have occurred.
Diagnostic Aids
The following can cause an intermittent condition:

A short between the steering wheel module high and steering wheel module low signal circuits
A malfunctioning shorting bar on the steering wheel module connector
A malfunctioning shorting bar on the steering wheel module coil connector
Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Inspects the steering wheel module coil in-line connector.

Tests for a malfunctioning steering wheel module.

If DTC B0022 is present, test for a short between the steering wheel module high and steering wheel module low signal circuits. If DTC B0024 is present, test for a short to ground or voltage in the steering wheel module high and steering wheel module low signal circuits. If DTC B0026 is present, test for an open or high resistance in the steering wheel module high and steering wheel module low signal circuits.

ewill3rd
08-31-09, 10:03 PM
Oh and by the way we commonly refer to the SIR coil in the steering column as a "clockspring" not a "corkscrew" although I can see where if you are not used to those terms you might be confused. ;)