: Lets talk Snow Tires.. Suggestions?

Gusteve
08-28-09, 06:51 PM
I'm sure there's other snow tires threads from years past, but things change every year. So - since its so CRAPPY outside in the upper mid-west, I'm already thinking about snow tires for the winter.

I assume that those of you with snows put 18" rims on the back and run a larger profile tire. Is that right?

Any suggestions for brand/size?

Thanks!

ssstealth
08-29-09, 01:00 AM
My suggestion is to drop a few hundred on a 78 Fleetwood, and keep the "V" in the garage til Spring :-D

Gusteve
08-29-09, 08:16 PM
Well actually, my original plan when I bought the car was to keep my 2003 Mercury Marauder as my winter driver, and park the V. But now when I drive the Marauder it just blows chunks. I don't think I can stand to not drive my V for 4 or 5 months over the winter.

Hence: Snowtires!

55cadillacking
08-29-09, 11:21 PM
AFAIK, there are no snow-specific tires that fit the V. Best you'll do is an all-season. Go to tirerack.com and see what suits your fancy.

CIWS
08-30-09, 11:43 AM
Well actually, my original plan when I bought the car was to keep my 2003 Mercury Marauder as my winter driver, and park the V. But now when I drive the Marauder it just blows chunks. I don't think I can stand to not drive my V for 4 or 5 months over the winter.

Hence: Snowtires!

I completely understand the sentiment, but if there's snow/ice on the roads you'll actually have to stay off the throttle of the V and won't be able to drive it as it should be don't you think ?

Gusteve
08-31-09, 03:40 PM
Well, roads aren't covered in snow and ice all the time...

Looks like Blizzak LM-60's might fit. 235/45/18's in front and 255/40/19's in back.

They are both about 0.6" shorter in total diameter than the stock tire size. According to my handy-dandy calculator - at 60MPH stock - the speeds would read 61.6 for the fronts, and 61.4 for the rears. So there'd be a 0.2 MPH difference between the fronts and rears - I'll have to poke around and find out if that will freak out the ABS sensors or something.

The tires are about $200/each. That's not bad. These are performance snow tires, not all-season tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Blizzak+LM-60

Berger 93
09-01-09, 10:17 AM
I'd get a winter beater . . . I drove my V once in the snow, and vowed I would never do it again . . . granted that was on stock tires, but that much torque and slippery roads do not combine . . .

Thus a threat of snow I dive my 4x4 pick up . . . then went the weather is nice, it is a great treat to drive the V! :)

ssstealth
09-04-09, 10:03 AM
I did get caught on snowy roads in the Smoky Mountains a couple years ago. In manual shifting mode, you can actualy start out in as high as 3rd gear. That really helps.

Gusteve
11-02-09, 04:49 PM

Looks like Blizzak LM-60's might fit. 235/45/18's in front and 255/40/19's in back.

They are both about 0.6" shorter in total diameter than the stock tire size. According to my handy-dandy calculator - at 60MPH stock - the speeds would read 61.6 for the fronts, and 61.4 for the rears. So there'd be a 0.2 MPH difference between the fronts and rears - I'll have to poke around and find out if that will freak out the ABS sensors or something.

The tires are about $200/each. That's not bad. These are performance snow tires, not all-season tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Blizzak+LM-60

I just pulled the trigger on a set of these from TireRack. $926 shipped. I'll get them in about a week (back ones are out of stock). I'll post how they work later this month.

VineTime
11-03-09, 11:46 PM
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and they work great in the light snow.

Florian
11-04-09, 12:32 AM
Go buy a beater.....you HAVE to...the V just plain sux on snow/ice/sleet etc. You will thank us later.

F

me_dimitri
11-06-09, 01:20 PM

Exactly what I did / am doing...

This is the last year in the STS-V. My lease (on an '07) expires in April. The Blizzaks are good tires, but the car still sucks in a Canadian Winter.

After two years I believe it is perhaps the worst Winter vehicle I have ever owned (including old Caprices with all seasons).

My advice is drive carefully and turn the Traction control OFF.

Will definitely not be getting another STS-V, maybe a new CTS-V or *gasp* a Jag and a 4x4 beater.

Dimitri

JCSTSV
11-09-09, 12:41 PM
I found some Pirelli Run flats that fit the 18" and 19" requirements ...

Specs:
Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero - Run Flat - 255/35R18 XL 94V
Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero - Run Flat - 275/35R19 XL 100V

TSS
11-12-09, 03:17 PM
I just want in on this thread to see how the winter shoes work out for you. My Lade lease is up in ten months and I have not a clue what I am going to replace it with if GMAC does not cut deals by then. If I don't buy it from them, I am getting something CPO and would love an 06 or 07 STS-V, but assumed there was not a chance it is drivable in the winter. I want to see how this turns out.