: 2002 6.0 Rear Air Shock Oil Leak but No Unusual Compressor Activation...Yet

RLGDiesel
08-28-09, 02:18 AM
Hi, I recently noticed that some grease was leaking from what looks like a tube around the rear shock absorbers. When I looked at the replacement rear shocks from Arnott, I did not even see this black tube around the shock. Is the leak originating from the shock itself or this bladder of sorts? Is a little shock oil normal or is it time for replacement even if my compressor is not kicking in irregularly?

If so, how is a rear shock installed? I have read in previous threads that it is two bolts and air connectors. Is there any other pertinent information, such as special jacking procedures to prevent the shock from expanding under pressure when released?

Thanks!

sk7
08-28-09, 08:56 PM
Replacing those shocks is a piece of cake, no special tools or procedure needed. Jack up, remove and reinstall. If you get no service ride control message and compressor is working good, don't touch a thing!

RLGDiesel
08-29-09, 12:58 AM
Fingers crossed for no ride control message or compressor activation...just checking if the oily film is normal...thanks again!

sk7
08-29-09, 01:35 AM
I was wondering how long does the compressor run when you first start the truck? Does it run everytime the engine is started? Or only once a day? I have yet to hear mine run automatically...

The oil film is probably not normal, but if ride quality is good and no error messages appear, you're good to go!

RLGDiesel
08-29-09, 01:50 AM
Probably 20-25-30 seconds everytime the truck is started after sitting for a reasonable amount of time...if I run into 7-11 and come back out, the truck is still leveled and the compressor will not engage upon ignition. It definitely turns on every morning on first startup though. On a side note, the compressor sounded pretty sick recently and I found a few rocks rattling around in it upon closer examination. The system sounds much better now.

sk7
08-29-09, 02:05 AM
Are you still running the stock 17'' rims? If so I would really appreciate if you could measure the ride height (no rush, whenever you have a chance), after the compressor stops. From ground up to an easy spot to measure from on body. That would give me a reference as to what the proper height is. Thanxs in advance!

RLGDiesel
08-29-09, 01:32 PM
stock 17s...will get a tape measure ASAP

sk7
08-29-09, 05:36 PM
Great thanxs! Glad to come across someone with a working auto leveling system on an 02. :worship:

RLGDiesel
08-29-09, 09:52 PM
Not sure for how long "working" will stay applicable.

Measurements are from the road to the top center body molding above the wheel well (tape measure cuts across Cadillac emblem in the alloy wheel perfectly)

Before activation: Left rear: 36 3/4 Right rear: 37
After activation: Left rear: 37 Right rear: 37 1/8

sk7
08-29-09, 11:12 PM
Perfect thanxs! I agree with you the odds are not looking good for the future operation of this system lol. Hopefully we can diagnose the problem(s) and come up with a fix.