: Choke Thermostat Gasket?

DopeStar 156
08-27-09, 12:11 PM
I'm replacing the choke thermostat on my Fleetwood after discovering that the black plastic covering is broken in several places and doesn't seal anymore. I was looking at the FSM and it's pretty idiot proof to install, it just pops on in a fixed position and locks down with rivets. (or screws in my case) My question is, there's a gasket listed that I don't think I have and I'm not sure if the NOS one I got off ebay comes with one. I can't seem to locate one anywhere, what should I do?

jayoldschool
08-27-09, 10:22 PM
Either use make a gasket RTV, or buy a sheet of gasket material at the parts store and get busy with the xacto knife.

sven914
08-28-09, 04:31 PM
Commercial grade cardboard works too. My high school auto class was a little cheap and couldn't afford gaskets for the donor engines, so when we rebuilt them and ruined the head, intake, or valve cover gaskets, we made new ones out of cigarette boxes.

carnut
08-29-09, 02:59 PM
The choke relies on vacuum inside the housing to initially open the choke blade once you start the car cold. Without this gasket, vacuum will leak from the cover affecting choke function and idle quality. So, find this gasket from any GM car with this kind of choke cover. Make sure you attach the coil spring to the tang correctly and mount the cover to match the proper rich/lean mark on the cover and housing. In your area probably one notch rich would be best. To install the cover open the throttle half way and figure out a way to keep it there, then install the plastic cover and rotate it slowly till the choke blade closes. The marks should virtually line up just as the choke blade drops.

DopeStar 156
08-29-09, 04:16 PM
The choke relies on vacuum inside the housing to initially open the choke blade once you start the car cold. Without this gasket, vacuum will leak from the cover affecting choke function and idle quality. So, find this gasket from any GM car with this kind of choke cover. Make sure you attach the coil spring to the tang correctly and mount the cover to match the proper rich/lean mark on the cover and housing. In your area probably one notch rich would be best. To install the cover open the throttle half way and figure out a way to keep it there, then install the plastic cover and rotate it slowly till the choke blade closes. The marks should virtually line up just as the choke blade drops.

Thanks a lot. I don't think mine has a gasket and as I said before is broken so it's probably leaking. I'm still waiting for my ebay thermostat to get here so I'll let you know how it runs after changing it. So far the car runs poorly and shakes at idle and worse in drive. I'm hoping this fixes it.....

DopeStar 156
08-29-09, 04:23 PM
Ok scratch that I got it today right after posting, weird. Looks like I got my money's worth. Included are.....

- Choke Thermostat
- Gasket (it seems to be split in one spot, dunno if it's supposed to be.)
- Retainer kit with rivets

N0DIH
08-30-09, 08:18 AM
The gasket is supposed to come in a rebuild kit, but over the last several years I have notice the kits are getting cheaper and cheaper. I think the Jiffy Kits I used to get had them.

A cardboard off cereal box might be ok, a bit thick, but should work. Glad you got the right one, that one would be a pain in the caboose to make though!

It isn't supposed to be split, but a dab of RTV should be ok to patch it up.