: Exchange fluids how often?

SmoothTS
08-27-09, 12:43 PM
I have a 2000 STS I've owned for 5 years, currently has 140K miles. Still has original coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid. How often should these be changed?

00 Deville
08-27-09, 12:59 PM
I have a 2000 STS I've owned for 5 years, currently has 140K miles. Still has original coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid. How often should these be changed?

I'm sure that you will get some differing opinions on this one... My anal opinion is

Coolant- Change every 2 years

Brake Fluid- Change every 50,000 miles

Transmission Fluid- Go by the life monitor in your car if it doesn't say change it by 100,000 miles change it anyway.

You are way overdue on a coolant change with the history the the N* has with the corrosion on the head gasket bolt holes you would be a fool to follow the GM recommended change times on DexCool.

Submariner409
08-27-09, 01:51 PM
Basically you're way overdue for coolant, and overdue for both brake fluid and transmission fluid.

This time, take it to a dealer and cough up the money for a "Fall Special" package if one is offered. The entire coolant charge gets changed, brake system gets flushed and refilled, and the transmission gets the new DEXRON-VI synthetic fluid.

Not cheap, but you will have the peace of mind that its done correctly as well as have a dealer work warranty and someone to fall back on if something's not right, and a complete coolant, brake fluid, and transmission fluid change is no fun in your driveway.

Coolant: 3-4 years
Brake fluid: 4-5 years (its hygroscopic and absorbs moisture)
Transmission fluid: 5 years/100,000 miles or so