: LOVE/HATE relationship

oldworld
08-27-09, 08:09 AM
I love my escalade to death.
HOWEVER......at least once a month I want to burn it. :bomb:
I have been driving for 30 years and owned many vehicles, both foreign and domestic.
This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned when it comes to malfunctions, both large and small. Yet I still keep it for some reason. :cookoo:
Anyone one else have any input

smelly$cat
08-27-09, 11:33 AM
I hate to hear shiz like this regarding a vehicle I just bout 6 weeks ago. lol.

Here is my list of stuff I need to fix. Issues I inheritied with this "used car".

ESV projects
--
Fix shift indicator light (PRND321 dim/out)
Fix door handle cup (cracked)
Figure out check engine light (comes on some times)
Address exhaust rattle (just annoying and random)
Fix dash flaw (little paint flecking off)
Fix chrome shift lever tip (little chrome flecking off)
Fix cigarette lighter (don't work)
Replace worn radio buttons (little paint flecking off)
Replace kick panels x2 (rear doors, floor sills, don't click into the floor very well)

Stupid stuff......

----

I love my escalade to death.
HOWEVER......at least once a month I want to burn it. :bomb:
I have been driving for 30 years and owned many vehicles, both foreign and domestic.
This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned when it comes to malfunctions, both large and small. Yet I still keep it for some reason. :cookoo:
Anyone one else have any input

CEPMAN
08-27-09, 11:38 AM
I hate when you go somewhere, and they're like ''It's a Cadillac, it's automatically gonna cost you more''

I had a dude tell me that yesterday!

smelly$cat
08-27-09, 11:41 AM
That's pretty weak... Honestly, for some reason, when people refer to my ESV as a Cadillac, I almost have a hard time agreeing with them for some reason. In my eyes, it's a Chevy with a boob job. tits

I hate when you go somewhere, and they're like ''It's a Cadillac, it's automatically gonna cost you more''

I had a dude tell me that yesterday!

T-Giv
08-27-09, 01:14 PM
Haha my ESV is such a B lately. I've been struggling with so many things. It makes me want to trade it on a cute little Kia or something.

smelly$cat
08-27-09, 01:23 PM
I don't know if I'd go THAT far. :histeric:

Haha my ESV is such a B lately. I've been struggling with so many things. It makes me want to trade it on a cute little Kia or something.

CEPMAN
08-27-09, 02:18 PM
I don't know if I'd go THAT far. :histeric:

/\
/ \
|__________ exactly!

sk7
08-27-09, 04:53 PM
I totally agree! Cadillac parts price formula: GM price X 20%! Chevy with a boob job is a good one, gotta remember that! :)

sillyboi
08-27-09, 07:14 PM
The issues i have with my escalade
-rattling exhaust/pipe (when cold)
-Sticky speedometer.. it works when it feels like it..

but reading all these threads about engine codes and such makes me want to trade it in for something else..

ESCALADOR
08-27-09, 07:44 PM
=sillyboi;1985026
but reading all these threads about engine codes and such makes me want to trade it in for something else..

and what might that be? Someone else stated that they were going to trade for a KIA. :thepan:

I LOVE when I am driving my Lade and HATE when I have to get out of her.

Back2Basic (B2B)
08-27-09, 07:53 PM
Newbee here.

Just bought a Black 2005 Escalade ESV a couple of months ago with 50,000 miles. Got a great deal.
Put some 22" wheels and tires on it and getting an average of 16 mpg @ 70 mph, not using the cruise control. Put a couple of thousand miles on it already and have'nt had any issues thus far. Guess I have been lucky so far. But reading some of the things you all have written makes me think "what have I got myself into"? I just love the ride of my ESV but will I hate the relationship that I have with her?

Oh, and I agree with what CEPMAN wrote up there. When I was shopping for rims and tires, one of the salesman did say "It's a Cadillac, we're not going to let you off that easy"....meaning $$$$$.

B2B

bigksone
08-27-09, 09:22 PM
Had mine for a little over a year and 10K miles later no problems. Thinking about trading it in for another truck but when i look around and compare, i realize that the only truck i'm willing to trade it for is ..... a newer escalade - 07 or 08. So far the only thing I hate is the gas milege but I knew that it was bad when i signed on the dotted line.

T-Giv
08-27-09, 11:06 PM
You guys are correct, perhaps I overstated my emotions a tad. Lol I don't think I'll be signing on to any Kia forums in the near future.

oldworld
08-28-09, 07:32 AM
Just to give you an idea, here are the things I can remember that have been fixed replaced since I own the truck, almost 20 months
1) Wire in rear seat repaired. Was shorting out fuse to homelink and heated seats.
2) Front Diff redone....needs to be redone again.
3) Leaking oil cooler lines replaced.
4) Security system left me stranded....replaced
5) Fuel pump replaced....4 times. New AC/Delco installed today.
6) Transmission replaced.
7) Rear diff redone.
8) New tires// original Goodyears burst x2 tires
9) Rear window third light screws missing....replaced and tightened
10) Front passenger speaker blew...replaced
11) Flat paint (shale color) peeling in certain spots on dash...no fix for that. HELP!!! lol
12)Door panels rattle at times when driving. Wish there was a way to really tighten them. I was going to zip some same color screws around the outside of the panels. we shall see
13)Head light HID bulb blew. Replaced both front bulbs
14)Fog light bulb blew....replaced both bulbs
15)Passenger turn signal mirror light broke....replaced
16)Driver side window/door lock etc door cluster panel broke....replaced
17)Cig lighter does not work
Thats just off the top of my head. I am certain there is more.

I have ford work vans that I own for my business. They take a real beating. No issues.
My son has a Mit eclipse that my wife used from new. 97. New belts, new tires, new brakes, new battery, and cam shaft posit sensor. THATS it in 12 years.
My wife now has a 6 series BMW...not one issue. Had a five series....no issues.

This escalade while a BEAUTIFUL vehicle, is not very reliable...at least for me.
Thus the LOVE/HATE relationship

oldworld
08-28-09, 07:39 AM
Sillyboi: The speedometer issue you are having has been a major problem on some escalades. As a matter of fact, there was a class action suit against GM, and GM will pay for new intrument cluster and labor is the problem can be verified. I believe there was a time frame listed so you should look into it asap.

I love the ref to the CHEVY with a boob job. For whatever reason, many things look better with a boob job. lol
My three cents

pcguy760
08-30-09, 06:30 AM
Whoa oldworld - who were the previous owners of your truck??!! j/k - Honestly, I have owned mine for about 6 months now and if I was not very mechanically and electronically inclined - 95% chance I would have strongly considered gettin rid of it. For one, just like most of you here, I think it is just plain IGNORANT and RETARDED that people want to charge you more because "It's a Caddy".

While I am kinda die hard with my 'Lade but I admit that from all the vehicles I have owned, this one has had me in the garage the most in 6 months!

Hey does anyone know how good the 3rd gen 07-09 Escalades are?

sk7
08-30-09, 03:31 PM
My gf keeps telling me I couldn't afford a hottie with a boob job! She's right! Actually the Lade is her truck...

Having owned and worked on VW for 20+ years, issues with the electronic controls are not so bad. The problems are easily identified. Beats hunting for an intermittent problem and puling out a wiring harness to look for that one little wire that corroded from the inside out... It's just a matter of how well the truck was taken care of by the previous owner. Patience and a good forum like this one makes it easier to fix. But the later built generation models (05-06) seem to be better. The thing that bugs me the most is that a few repairs needed on this truck require a Tech 2 scanner. And there's no way around that, I can't find PC software to emulate this program anywhere. And those scanners are pricey, $2K range. About 5 visits to the stealership...

pcguy760
08-31-09, 03:16 AM
Sk7, at one point I was considering just buying a Tech II until I discovered that it is like 20x the price of a regular scanner... Too bad someone in China did not make an equivalent lol.

sk7
08-31-09, 03:48 AM
Good one! Maybe there is a China copy available... I got an ELM327 plug with my laptop that works pretty good with ProScan software. There has to be a software that can access those features. I also got VAG-Com software for VW on that same laptop, does everything the dealer can (in the pre 2002 years). Now with my Innova 3150 (thanxs to your good review of it) its even easier and faster to read codes.