: mallet package

Vedder
07-26-04, 10:41 PM
Has anyone done this $16,500 kit? How is the ride quality. Whats all included in the suspension? Is wheel hop completely cured? :hmm:

Dreamin
07-27-04, 01:55 AM
Dont have the mallett package... but have talked extensively to Chuck about it...

His philosophy on the car is to get as much power out of it, but keep it like you'd get from the "factory"... it's not a "in-your-face" supercar. Open the hood and it looks completely stock.

Note he worked extensive w/GM on the design/testing of the CTS-V (as he did the Z06)... so he knows his sh*t (HMO).

He goes through almost everything...
* Factory intake, but reworked, internally enlarged, etc... no big K&N type filter (that wouldn't be factory!)
* Heads & Cam, and all assoc. hardware
* Factory exhaust manifold, ported (headers wouldn't pass smog).
* Corsa Exhaust, but not the up-coming "off-the-shelf" exhaust, he had Corsa design him one to his spec (he says the 'off-the-shelf' one is too loud)
* New shifter
* New springs
* Wheel hop fix: He changes some of the rear suspension mount points - no new bushings (and that's how he gets around the nivomats fighting the lowered rear springs)
* Minor stuff: Badges, seat logo, alignment, other minor tweaks he brought up, but didn't go into detail
* Getting listed in KBB and Nada as a special car type... that's should help resell a little.

He said the ride quality, noise-level, etc. is very minimally affected. Didn't ask if wheel hop is 100% fixed.

In summary: Factory look & feel, 400rwhp, will pass smog, but very labor intensive!

Just info directly from the source and my $0.02... I know there are people on this board that dont think he's all that... i happen to think he is... :)

Big Jim 2
07-27-04, 04:32 PM
I spoke to chuck Mallett also today. The one compelling factor for his package is that it does not void the GM warranty. Any problems and you just take it back to your local dealer. That is worth some $$. I asked about the rear end problems in the CTS-V and he claims its due to wheel hop stress which is 100% eliminated with his package. He said he has shipped 10 cars with the package; lets hear some feedback from the ten guys out there lucky enough to be be driving a 400 RWH CTS-V.

Big Jim 2
08-17-04, 02:03 AM
I am seriously considering the Mallett CTS-V package. I would really appreciate an honest evaluation from some of the Mallett CTS-V owners. Come on now, donít be shy.

Dreamin
08-17-04, 02:18 AM
Big Jim... your PM'ing and email is turned off... please email me: zeemr@yahoo.com

Hubbahubba
08-17-04, 11:53 AM
I have a CTS-V at Mallett being fitted with the 7.0 C5R block, low restriction cats, headers, exhaust, non-emission cams, minitubs, increased cooling, oil cooler, seats, etc. Should be getting the car back in early September - be happy to share my findings with anybody interested - I am in the Wash. DC area.

lasstss
08-17-04, 12:40 PM
Im in Columbia MD. I would like to see that when its done. A little out of my league though..

rabid
08-17-04, 02:57 PM
I live just north of DC, right outside of Columbia; lemme see when you get it :p

CTSV_Scott
08-17-04, 04:29 PM
I have a CTS-V at Mallett being fitted with the 7.0 C5R block, low restriction cats, headers, exhaust, non-emission cams, minitubs, increased cooling, oil cooler, seats, etc. Should be getting the car back in early September - be happy to share my findings with anybody interested - I am in the Wash. DC area.

7.0l C5R... :lildevil: You definitely have to post your findings! :)

Hubbahubba
08-17-04, 05:57 PM
I will definately beat on the car after September. We have Summit Point rented in November to test our race car, so I will probably test this car as well, albeit in a somewhat more reserved fashion. Probably just fit some better pads and go at it.

Big Jim 2
08-17-04, 06:15 PM
Anyone out there with the $16,000 package as described on the mallett web site?

steve711
08-17-04, 10:27 PM
That is the pack no qeustion about it.Spoke to Mr mallett explaned that im looking in the $3000-4000 range for mallett mod's,he told me that the heads/cams/x-pipe corsa/billet shifter should be in that range.not including the mallett modified intake.of course Ther's the tire issue that has to be accounted for.That alone is in the $1000-$2000 range (michelin pilot's).Ther's the wheel hop crap that need's mallett rear suspension mods & THAT'S ABOUT IT :bonkers: But nope don't have Y E T! :lildevil:

T_Dogg8
08-18-04, 09:33 AM
wow. i'm not far from dc and would love to see it and hear it when it's done. good luck.

Hubbahubba
08-19-04, 09:53 AM
I should pick up the car in early September, I will send some picks in of the rear wheel/tire clearance - I have a set of 315/30-18 Michelin Pilot Sports going on the back with minitubs, so it should all fit inside the wheel well. I will also dyno the car at a least once by October or November. Anybody's welcome for a show and tell after that.

2004ctsv
08-19-04, 11:31 AM
I should pick up the car in early September, I will send some picks in of the rear wheel/tire clearance - I have a set of 315/30-18 Michelin Pilot Sports going on the back with minitubs, so it should all fit inside the wheel well. I will also dyno the car at a least once by October or November. Anybody's welcome for a show and tell after that.

We should plan a coming out party - not that there's anything wrong with that

Dreamin
08-19-04, 01:18 PM
I have a set of 315/30-18 Michelin Pilot Sports going on

Hubbahubba: Read from the other forum that you're going to run 18x11 w/ 315/30-18 and 275/35-18 in front... please keep us posted on how the tire fitment works out... esp. the 275s in front!

T_Dogg8
08-19-04, 02:03 PM
you'll have to get us an audio file of you revving it up when you get it.