: Dealer said he'd void my warranty if I use non-GM labeled fluids...

SlvrBullIT
08-26-09, 10:38 PM
So I went to the dealership where I got my V and was asking what the labor rates would be if I wanted to get my oil, tranny and diff fluids changed out, I have all the AMSoil (except the damn 14qts I need for the tranny) and filtermags just itching to go into the V. He says, "If you use fluids that don't have the GM logo on the bottle your warranty will be voided....:confused:"
WTF?!?!?!?!

commander112
08-26-09, 10:45 PM
Switch dealers. Your's sounds like an azzzhole!!! By law your dealer cannot void your warranty unless they can prove that the fluids you used caused the failure.

Florian
08-26-09, 11:30 PM
3 words.....DOOOO-SSSHHHHH-BAG! Lose that dealer asap...what a douchebag.

F

BigFred
08-27-09, 01:04 AM
What Florian said. That is ridiculous. My nearest Caddy dealership was full of DB's and they got their franchise pulled for money problems/fraud :histeric: which I got a kick out of. The bad part is they gave it to the Chevy dealer down the street. Talk about not getting the luxury dealer experience...

SlvrBullIT
08-27-09, 01:07 AM
My other choice is Ken Batchelor Cadillac, wonder how they are???? I may go to Austin to Covert, I think I heard they were "honorable".....

osu411yamaha
08-27-09, 01:17 AM
Why would you not just either do it yourself or take it to a local shop. What GM doesnt know wont hurt them.....Also, I would have took that guy out back if I had just bought a 70k car from his lot and he threatened me with anything like that.......

aceofblitz
08-27-09, 01:17 AM
My dealer had my car with them for a total of 10 days, I have no idea why, they just told me something is wrong with the supercharger and they don't know what.
I didn't even bother asking because when I used to take my Chrysler to the dealership, they were asses about everything. So I generally brand any dealership as a bunch of idiots.
no exceptions. (Oh yeah one of the "technicians" in my cadillac dealership was chirping rubber with my car too. I used it as leverage to my advantage.. they'd change my whole engine if i want to now.)
Beware of the idiots.

SlvrBullIT
08-27-09, 02:17 AM
Why would you not just either do it yourself or take it to a local shop. What GM doesnt know wont hurt them.....Also, I would have took that guy out back if I had just bought a 70k car from his lot and he threatened me with anything like that.......

Not to knowledgeable on local mechanics, don't want to trade in one idiot for another. If I go with a local mechanic and he blows up the car...then what?! At least the Cadillac dealer would have to repair or replace the car...the local mechanic....lawyers etc...yuck!!!

I live in an apartment no car repairs are allowed, I could do the oil and rear diff, the tranny is a whole other story though.

osu411yamaha
08-27-09, 02:51 AM
I should have been more clear. By local mechanic since you have a V I was implying your local speed shop. Such as one that specializes in corvettes, mustangs, etc.....

By the way if your apartment complex would be that anal about your working on a new car in their parking lot I would move when your lease expires. I lived in apartments all through college and worked on my cars in parking lot all the time. Never had any trouble out of them.....

SlvrBullIT
08-27-09, 02:54 AM
Yeah I need to find one of those....

homesite
08-27-09, 06:26 AM
If the oil meets specs they cannot not honor the warranty. It's the law

ewill3rd
08-27-09, 06:51 AM
:yeah:

In the owners manual the fliud specifications are called out for each type of fluid.
If the fliuid you put in meets the specifications (each container will be labeled as such) then they CANNOT void the warranty because you are using a different brand.
If the fluid does not meet specifications listed in the owner's information they can deny claims on affected systems ONLY.

Prof
08-27-09, 09:27 AM
I think we need to post the name and location of service departments that take such an arcane approach.

There are some dolts out there that cannot think beyond their fifth appendage...we need to avoid them and be sure that others understand the risk they take in dealing with service departments that have no idea of what it is to be a consultative partner in our journey with this outstanding vehicle.

OldRoadDawg
08-27-09, 10:03 AM
I think we need to post the name and location of service departments that take such an arcane approach.

There are some dolts out there that cannot think beyond their fifth appendage...we need to avoid them and be sure that others understand the risk they take in dealing with service departments that have no idea of what it is to be a consultative partner in our journey with this outstanding vehicle.
It already exists. Just make more use of it.

http://www.cardealerrank.com/index.php

chopmeat
08-27-09, 10:16 AM
I hate little d*ck losers that have been given a tiny bit of authority.
Right away they have to be abusive to people for no reason.
I would just agree with this D*ck and leave.
I tip my service guy and get what I want....

NeedCTS-v
08-27-09, 10:39 AM
My other choice is Ken Batchelor Cadillac, wonder how they are???? I may go to Austin to Covert, I think I heard they were "honorable".....

If you decide to try Covert, ask for Adam in service. The guy is a star and will do his level best to make you happy. This being said, if anything ever comes up regarding their paint shop, RUN do not walk.

I'm still sorting through the mess where the service director at Covert said that my car, half covered in overspray met "his standards". Clown.

Razorecko
08-27-09, 11:29 AM
amsoil fluids have not been put through official certifications thats why they say they are " spec " but not " certified " if your engine goes pop and you have amsoil in it than yes your warranty can be voided. There is a list of all oils that are GM approved floating around and i remember amsoil wasnt on it. I wanted to go to amsoil in the beginning but i wasn't going to take that chance with "new gm "

ewill3rd
08-27-09, 11:38 AM
Ultimately for a warranty claim to be denied they would have to have proof that non-approved fluids were in use.
That means you'd either have to have told them, they would have to see something that indicated to them it was a "non-approved" fluid or they would have to send a sample out for testing to see what it was.

Razorecko
08-27-09, 12:01 PM
Ultimately for a warranty claim to be denied they would have to have proof that non-approved fluids were in use.
That means you'd either have to have told them, they would have to see something that indicated to them it was a "non-approved" fluid or they would have to send a sample out for testing to see what it was.

which if it came to a 20k lsa motor they would have no qualms about taking a few weeks to drain and have tested. The biggest thing i dont understand is why amsoil never had their oil officially tested/certified. They would have a much larger market.

Luna.
08-27-09, 01:56 PM
So I went to the dealership where I got my V and was asking what the labor rates would be if I wanted to get my oil, tranny and diff fluids changed out, I have all the AMSoil (except the damn 14qts I need for the tranny) and filtermags just itching to go into the V. He says, "If you use fluids that don't have the GM logo on the bottle your warranty will be voided....:confused:"
WTF?!?!?!?!

That's a strategy that's certainly going to fail, to say nothing about losing a customer...

Where do you live again?

:yeah:

In the owners manual the fliud specifications are called out for each type of fluid.
If the fliuid you put in meets the specifications (each container will be labeled as such) then they CANNOT void the warranty because you are using a different brand.
If the fluid does not meet specifications listed in the owner's information they can deny claims on affected systems ONLY.

Aye

whisler151
08-27-09, 01:59 PM
Yeah I need to find one of those....

What part of TX are you in? There are plenty of good shops in DFW and Houston.

SlvrBullIT
08-27-09, 03:58 PM
That's a strategy that's certainly going to fail, to say nothing about losing a customer...

Where do you live again?

Aye

New Braunfels, just north of San Antonio.

1BlinkGone
08-27-09, 03:58 PM
Any oil that meets OR EXCEEDS the SAE/DOT specs that GM specs for that vehicle can be used, period. That is LAW.

If these crums continue their tripe, ask them how many V's do they have in stock that they are going to give you when you wipe up the floor with them if you need to litgate because of their illegal denial of warranty?

This kind of crap gives ALL shops, honest or not, a bad stigma. What a fannyhat.

Razorecko
08-27-09, 04:23 PM
Any oil that meets OR EXCEEDS the SAE/DOT specs that GM specs for that vehicle can be used, period. That is LAW.

If these crums continue their tripe, ask them how many V's do they have in stock that they are going to give you when you wipe up the floor with them if you need to litgate because of their illegal denial of warranty?

This kind of crap gives ALL shops, honest or not, a bad stigma. What a fannyhat.

THE problem is that AMSOIL never had any of its fluid tested by SAE/DOT. So there is no official spec on that oil. Just their word on how good it is. I love the stuff but it hasn't been proven/tested/spec'd by SAE/DOT.

thebigjimsho
08-27-09, 06:06 PM
WTF?!?!?!?!
Let them try. Won't happen...

ewill3rd
08-27-09, 09:08 PM
It can't just be the API starburst rating, it has to meet the GM spec I THINK. (pretty sure)

Again, if you use a non approved fluid in the diff (for example) they can't deny warranty on the hood latch.
Only a failure related to the modification from the factory recommendation.

SlvrBullIT
08-28-09, 08:59 AM
Oh well guess I'm stuck using "GM branded" fluids then, at least till warranty is up......