: posi a good idea???

illumina
07-26-04, 10:00 PM
pretty soon i will be having my 4t60e transaxle rebuilt from a performance shop that claims they can make this tranny handle upwards of 450 hp. as they have stated that these are similar to the 4t65e trannys that go into the GTP pontiacs and so-forth. they told me that there is an option for a posi to be put into the tranny, and they claim that it will improve my acceleration dramatically. i also know that ASG on the domestic performance site makes a posi for this setup too. the question is, would it be worth the extra 500$$ to have the posi put into the tranny? or am i better off with what i have now, which is a stock 4t60e (needs to be redone though)? i do have plans for my car, which will need to have the best tranny availible, so any input would help a lot here, thanks, illuminaP. :cool:

Msilva954
07-26-04, 10:04 PM
Can you get the posi without having them install it????? I would get it if I were building the trans.....and Im pretty sure it would dramatically improve the acceleration and get rid of any torque steer associated with the FWD set up.

illumina
07-26-04, 10:08 PM
to my understanding, domestic performance has them availiable for 500 too, which is up to the purchaser to install. my guess is that you should have some knowledge with what you are doing, but it is doable. i do have the know-how, but i have never really overhaulled a FWD tranny before, so this would be stepping into unknown territory.

LacSeville
07-26-04, 10:56 PM
that's what keeps things interesting, eh?! i like the idea. are you having traction problems?

illumina
07-26-04, 11:02 PM
that's what keeps things interesting, eh?! i like the idea. are you having traction problems?

not really having traction problems, although i can see smoke from the front end once in a while. im just interested in having better acceleration when i get the "big" project going. i will also change the gear ratio and opt for shorter gears, thinking maybe 3.43 instead of the 2.73 i (we) have now. BTW, does the 4t60e already have limited slip?? i feel stupid about that question, but i simply don't nkow.

LacSeville
07-26-04, 11:15 PM
i've never heard of one with it. man i wish i had some shorter gears too. screw freeway mileage huh, i'm tryin to get to that next stoplight!! if you were having traction problems, i was going to suggest some 17" kumho ecstas.... :D or you could do like the front plug racers and stick some huge wide wheels/tires out the fenders!!

Msilva954
07-27-04, 10:22 AM
Im with LacSeville........we have the Kumho's on the Bimmer and Mustang.....and we have yet to loose traction on either of the cars.

N0DIH
06-07-08, 06:37 PM
Did you ever get it all installed? I have a Supercharged 3800 now and am seriously thinking of getting a posi, this thing needs it more than my 4.9L did!

pretty soon i will be having my 4t60e transaxle rebuilt from a performance shop that claims they can make this tranny handle upwards of 450 hp. as they have stated that these are similar to the 4t65e trannys that go into the GTP pontiacs and so-forth. they told me that there is an option for a posi to be put into the tranny, and they claim that it will improve my acceleration dramatically. i also know that ASG on the domestic performance site makes a posi for this setup too. the question is, would it be worth the extra 500$$ to have the posi put into the tranny? or am i better off with what i have now, which is a stock 4t60e (needs to be redone though)? i do have plans for my car, which will need to have the best tranny availible, so any input would help a lot here, thanks, illuminaP. :cool:

Spyder
06-08-08, 09:25 PM
Im with LacSeville........we have the Kumho's on the Bimmer and Mustang.....and we have yet to loose traction on either of the cars.

Sounds like you need more power!

MauiV
06-08-08, 10:14 PM
Sounds like you need more power!

:yeah:

illumina
06-08-08, 10:28 PM
Did you ever get it all installed? I have a Supercharged 3800 now and am seriously thinking of getting a posi, this thing needs it more than my 4.9L did!

Yup.

I still have to drop the transmission in though, but it's almost done.

N0DIH
06-08-08, 10:58 PM
The guys on the 3800pro.com forum say you don't have the drop the trans to put in the Intense posi. Which one do you have?

Yup.

I still have to drop the transmission in though, but it's almost done.

illumina
06-09-08, 02:54 AM
The guys on the 3800pro.com forum say you don't have the drop the trans to put in the Intense posi. Which one do you have?

It was installed in the transmission that I just rebuilt - it was already opened up and out of the car, so it was easier for me I guess.

N0DIH
06-09-08, 02:13 PM
Yes, most definiately. Did you need to put in the 4T65E HD output shaft? They say 97 and older needs it, 98 up all have it.

I sure need something for posi, this things is all over the place.

BTW, I can tune 4.9L's now! So we need to hook up.

This is one of them. Now sure which to choose from, would be nice to have a torsen gear type diff...

http://www.intense-racing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LSD-653&Category_Code=T

N0DIH
06-09-08, 02:20 PM
Check this out
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:RE4bFhYLVjMJ:www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D98028%26highlight%3D+4T65E+pos i&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&client=firefox-a

And here:

http://www.grandprixforums.net/f21/4t65e-differential-install-pics-1928.html

dkozloski
06-09-08, 03:10 PM
Positraction in a front wheel drive car will take you right into the ditch on a road with patchy ice. RWD posi steers you around bad enough in the same conditions.

Playdrv4me
06-09-08, 03:17 PM
I love how this thread just picked right up after FOUR years haha... Gotta love it.

Ironically enough, I was just browsing through memory lane last night looking at some of the oldest threads in the lounge... good times.

N0DIH
06-09-08, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I know, I love resurrecting old threads! Just picked up a 2000 Buick Park Ave Ultra with the Supercharged 3800 and it has major traction issues, and a LSD/Posi would be a big help. The question is slippery weather, we see enough of it here. My 94 Fleetwood with posi is awesome in the snow, even missing ABS/Traction Control right now.

Being my wife never lets me drive the 4x4 Suburban in bad weather because she always needs it, I need a good snow car....