: 06 EXT starter removal, any tricks?

2007slade
08-26-09, 04:40 PM
about to get under the car and yank the starter out. Anything speacial i should know before i start or is it the same as any other gm?

zerocarpileup
08-26-09, 04:57 PM
about to get under the car and yank the starter out. Anything speacial i should know before i start or is it the same as any other gm?

yea be careful, not to mess with the crankshaft position sensor, it sits right above the starter. The wires coming out of it are pretty taught as it is, so you want to avoid pulling them out of its harness. This mistake, had be baffled for two days, a bad CPS with disable your engine from firing up. Also there is a metal heat shield that sits atop the solenoid. You want to pry that off before you attempt to wiggle it the starter out. Be patient, you might think the damn thing is not coming out, but it will. You just need to find that sweet spot and it will drop right out. Oh, yea you are going to have to remove the bolt that holds the plastic piece that covers the flywheel on the trans. Just push the starter forward towards the front of the truck and then down then back again. Hope this helps.

2007slade
08-26-09, 07:23 PM
yea be careful, not to mess with the crankshaft position sensor, it sits right above the starter. The wires coming out of it are pretty taught as it is, so you want to avoid pulling them out of its harness. This mistake, had be baffled for two days, a bad CPS with disable your engine from firing up. Also there is a metal heat shield that sits atop the solenoid. You want to pry that off before you attempt to wiggle it the starter out. Be patient, you might think the damn thing is not coming out, but it will. You just need to find that sweet spot and it will drop right out. Oh, yea you are going to have to remove the bolt that holds the plastic piece that covers the flywheel on the trans. Just push the starter forward towards the front of the truck and then down then back again. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the great info! I got it all done!