: Programming a FOB yourself ?

freshchops
08-26-09, 02:39 AM
Of all the research I've done, I seen reference to the ability to (re)program FOB's to a new vehicle w/o a dealer. I've also read that it does have to be done by the dealer. I haven't seen instructions, the owners manual doesn't outline this, so I was curious, is it really possible to re-program them yourselves? and, if so, is there details online?

I'm programming an original '05 STS FOB to an '06 STS.... which appear to be identical.

Thanks!

Indyblue98
08-26-09, 08:04 AM
On the 2007 the instructions are in the owners manual. It can be done without a dealer.
Can't recall all the details but basic steps include putting the new remote in a holder inside the console, using the key in the drivers door lock , several turns to one side , and the display on the dash will say ready for FOB #1 .

There are more steps i cant remember, also a time limit.

But i can be done... 2007 at least .:bouncy:

ewill3rd
08-26-09, 08:10 AM
I would have to look it up but yes you can program remotes "without the dealer".
You need your transmitters and a key that will turn the door lock.

Without knowing the specifics I know you cycle the key 5 times and it will put the vehicle in programming mode and you use the pocket in the console to identify transmitters and follow commands on the DIC.

Berger 93
08-26-09, 10:13 AM
Instructions on how to do it are spelled out in the owners manual. Looks like the process starts on page 2-7 . . .

freshchops
08-26-09, 12:40 PM
Instructions on how to do it are spelled out in the owners manual. Looks like the process starts on page 2-7 . . .

3 words. Correct, D'oh, (and) Thanks!