: Cadillacs we don't like

CoupeDevilleRob
07-26-04, 08:30 PM
First of all, I'm not starting this thread to hurt anyone's feelings or cause a stir, I'm just curious as to which Cadillacs hardcore Caddy fans don't like. Let's face it, not all of them have been smash hits, although the fact it's a Cadillac makes it better than most cars.

I'm not a huge fan of the '74 models. I don't like the round headlights in the square bezels and the way the ends of the front fenders round off looks weird to me. The '75s and '76s are much better looking to me, I'd put them on my top 5 list actually.

Anybody else have a Caddy you don't like?

illumina
07-26-04, 08:50 PM
cimmaron

Msilva954
07-26-04, 09:06 PM
cimmaron
Dito....

I would say Catera.....but there is potential there...just dont like it in stock form....where the hell is the V8????

Cant stand any Diesel Broughams/Devilles.....864's........ thats about it..unless someone brings out something I forgot.

DopeStar 156
07-26-04, 11:34 PM
Cimmaron, what the hell is that? Why would Cadillac decide to build a Cavalier?

Sandy
07-26-04, 11:47 PM
I don't like the 1952 Series 60 Sedanette. I remember walking to 1st grade and seeing one of them and thinking, "Man, is THAT ever ugly" ~

:bouncy: Okay, now I've REALLY dated myself :bouncy:

(That's what happens after a 11PM visit from my friends, Jack Daniels, and Hiram Walker)

illumina
07-26-04, 11:59 PM
Cimmaron, what the hell is that? Why would Cadillac decide to build a Cavalier?

yeah, caddy always seems to make entry level cars with varying degrees of success, case in point:

a. seville, first model, 76'-79'( nothing wrong here at all, just the entry level at it's time i believe).
b. cimmaron ( not good looking or cute, did'nt even sell well to my knowledge).
c. catera (much better lokking, but still does'nt do it for me).
d. CTS (nothing wrong with this car at all!!!, just their entry level car, will have a V series one day!!!).

majax
07-27-04, 12:48 AM
Cimmaron and the Catera kinda, oh and those fast back early 80's Sevilles of course I dont know if they were at least stylish for their time.

Ralph
07-27-04, 01:13 AM
I don't like the 1952 Series 60 Sedanette. I remember walking to 1st grade and seeing one of them and thinking, "Man, is THAT ever ugly" ~

I don't care for the 1940's Cadillacs with the wannabe fins that were tiny. The mid to late fifties were getting better. At first I scoffed at the idea of a V6 Cadillac like Catera and CTS, but I actually like the styling of the Catera better. The horsepower ratings of the CTS makes up for it's edgy looks.(base model)

sidenote, I'm probably the only one who thinks Edsels look ok for a 50's car, despite the toilet bowl grille.

AElayyat
07-27-04, 02:35 AM
Catara, Cimmaron, and CTS. Those are fake Cadillacs and are nothing but Sunfires with a wreath and crest.

gothicaleigh
07-27-04, 05:08 AM
I don't really care for any of the mid-seventies to very early nineties models. They are the reason that Cadillac had to go through the trouble of 'reinventing' itself. Not to say that there weren't a couple decent designs in that time, but for each model produced in that time period I can think of a reason why I wouldn't own one. GM brought Cadillac a little too close to the rest of their lineup.

Caddy Man
07-27-04, 02:25 PM
no offense to anyone, but i dont like the late 80s early 90s ''baby'' cadillacs, the small devilles, fleetwoods, elderados and sevilles...they were all tiny...what the hell happened??

Vesicant
07-27-04, 02:40 PM
Definatly 80's models Sevilles. UUGLY

I hate how people always compare the Cimarron to a Catera. Its just a different CTS. :crying:

gothicaleigh
07-27-04, 03:13 PM
Emphasis on 'different'.

CoupeDevilleRob
07-27-04, 03:15 PM
I agree with Caddy Man, I don't much care for the 85-88 Deville/Fleetwood or the 86-91 Eldorado and Seville. Actually I'm not really crazy about any of the Sevilles, except for the 76-79 models. I'm not a huge Allante fan either.

Ralph
07-27-04, 04:56 PM
no offense to anyone, but i dont like the late 80s early 90s ''baby'' cadillacs, the small devilles, fleetwoods, elderados and sevilles...they were all tiny...what the hell happened??

I have more back seat leg room then your 2000 did. ;) The thing about them is that they seem smaller on the outside, but vast on the inside. There is even more room then in my 1991 Grand Marquis! That thing was a waste of sheetmetal, as I would rather have interior space.

I've seen a few '91 Sevilles and they do seem much smaller, even though I don't mind the styling, they seem so similar to a same year Buick or Olds.

The 1980's fwd Fleets looked like K-Cars to me. I've never heard anyone criticize the styling on the early '90's 'til today, unless they were referring to fwd. :lildevil:

tru504187211
07-27-04, 05:04 PM
I have more back seat leg room then your 2000 did. ;) The thing about them is that they seem smaller on the outside, but vast on the inside. There is even more room then in my 1991 Grand Marquis! That thing was a waste of sheetmetal, as I would rather have interior space.

Agreed...more room than my guy's 93 Caprice on the interior...

I'm not a big fan of the 86 or so short body Devilles...

Sandy - I cannot find a picture of that car you are talking about...got one lying around?

Sandy
07-27-04, 08:40 PM
Have picture ... NO scanner.

LacSeville
07-27-04, 10:09 PM
you don't like the early 90s sevilles??? you stupid mother dsafldsoifa. you're a cvoavdoifjasd and a adfjdosif... :lildevil:

lol kidding... :coolgleam i don't care that you don't like the body style! I don't care for it too much either! so far no offense has been taken by anyone... amazing.

I don't care too much for the small stubby pre 89 (i guess that's when they started) devilles. 4 square headlights....

RERM
07-27-04, 10:36 PM
Small '80s, Cadillacs and any Diesel Cadillac. Also, the 90's Fleetwood had a great front end, but the rear end....well, it could have been better done. Also the Cimarron and Catera.

RERM
07-27-04, 10:44 PM
Oh, also, now...I don't mean to offend, but, any Cadillac with Vouges and fake convertible top/carriage top.

majax
07-27-04, 11:38 PM

I agree except I did like the small Eldorados but its kinda dumb to have a small DeVille.

Chuck C
07-27-04, 11:56 PM
chalk me up as a non-liker of the cimmaron and the late 80's micro caddies

illumina
07-28-04, 12:38 AM

:suspect: :want: :banghead: :madtalkin :rant2: :bighead: :crying: :cool:

CoupeDevilleRob
07-28-04, 07:08 PM
Oh, also, now...I don't mean to offend, but, any Cadillac with Vouges and fake convertible top/carriage top.

The vinyl top argument comes up a lot, I hate any new car with a vinyl top. They just don't look good on newer cars. And I really can't stand Vogues, they scream old Italian guy where I'm from.

ben72227
08-01-04, 12:22 AM
and any Diesel Cadillac

Im so hurt right now :crying: :crying: :crying:

But, back on topic, i really don't like any of the late 80s to early 90s Caddys. I'd say the '92 STS was the first decent looking Caddy after that run of ugly ones.

unclefred
08-01-04, 11:11 AM
I hate the cimmaron
I hate the catera
Any V-6 caddy

I hated the ugly smaller caddies in the late 80s,, 89-90-91 they're some of my favorite caddies of all.. They're not ugly, because I like them - and I have good taste. See.

Of course 1979 is my favorite year with the 1968 Fleetwood Eldorado coming in at a close second on the list.

PS: Next in line after that is the 97-99 Devvy

Sandy
08-01-04, 01:29 PM
Here's the pic someone asked for. I can't stand this Series 62 Sedanette, the Caddy with no rear end on it.

http://www.vintagemotorssarasota.com/Car_pages/Cadillac/49cadillac/49cadillac4.jpg

Stoneage_Caddy
08-01-04, 03:14 PM
Im not a big fan of the 97-99 Deville , just dont like the way it looked with the open rear fenderwells . Even tho i curse my rear fender wells on the 94 everytime i have to pull the rear wheels off . The rounded off nose, open rear fenderwells and rounded dashboard makes the already bulbus car look bloated . Not to mention how the chrome beltine strip is seperated by so many little strips of plastic that hold it in . When fininished in cadillac "skinned whale white" it looks godaweful . In fleetwood limited trim with rear fenderskirts black paint and concourse wheels it does look great :worship:

barge master
08-01-04, 07:42 PM
The hunchback Sevilles, the 4100 was the icing on the cake, ugly with a lame engine. The earliest FWD DeVilles. The 4100 RWD models, nice to look at, but a mechanical disaster. Even my beloved 89 with the 307, a nice reliable car and good looking too, but a total raisin sack.

davesdeville
08-02-04, 12:35 AM
I don't like any Seville except the current generation.

I don't like the Cimmaron or Catera, although I'd rather have a Cimmaron than many other cars from other makes.

I don't like the weenie Caddys of the mid-late 80s.

I don't like the 4100s in any car.

2dfx
08-02-04, 12:36 AM
1. Those pre-94 Fleets, Eldo's, Deville's etc. with those really small C bodys. Since when did we make compact boats? :)

2. 92-96 Fleetwoods. I'm sorry but I cannot get used to a DeVille with poor rear end styling and a whole bunch of chrome tacked on the sides. RWD is nice, LT1 is nice, but the rest isnt. Plus they kept the Pre-94 interior in those cars. Boxy and gross.

3. Cimarron. And dont you think i'm fooled by Cadillac's new naming system - Cimarron Touring Sedan

nuff said

Sandy
08-02-04, 12:48 PM
What's wrong with "Old Italian Guys" ???
I used to pal around with Michaelangelo, he was a good guy!

CADDYBLACK99
08-02-04, 04:47 PM
"Old Italian Guy?

Hey! I resemble that remark! So "fugget 'bout it"!
Paul (last name ends in "i") (whicha knee don'ta you need, eh?)

Elvis
08-02-04, 05:39 PM
I'm in agreement--Cimarrons and Cateras aren't my cup of tea.

Looking back, I'm not sure I like the 1st generation Seville, or the 86-90? Eldorado. But I like the hump-back Sevilles a lot. And I like the 79-85 Eldorados, and the 92-01 Eldos.

Going a little father back, 1969-1974 weren't my favorite years for ANY Cadillac. Eldorados were cool looking until 1970, then they went down IMO until 1975 when everything starts looking good to me again.

Going even farther back, I like the back of the '61-'62 Cadillacs, but I hate the front and grille for those years. I wouldn't buy one for restoration today. Too much like a Chevy.

lacmang
08-16-04, 11:53 AM
I don't like the baby Lacs either (all the late 80's devilles, eldogs etc.) they look the same as the oldsmobiles and buicks. I don't like the 92 fleetwood either its a bigger version of it, and doesn't deserve the name fleetwood. I don't like allantes, cimmarons, or even ESCALADES. Escalades drive nice, but I don't like SUVs and I think the escalades are over rated. The Navigator actually has a more impressive interior than it as well. I never like Sevilles either new or old.

lacmang
08-16-04, 11:56 AM

thats funny, in Texas most people look down on you if you DON'T have Vouges on your Cadillac. You better atleast have white walls.

tru504187211
08-16-04, 01:38 PM
Here's the pic someone asked for. I can't stand this Series 62 Sedanette, the Caddy with no rear end on it.

http://www.vintagemotorssarasota.com/Car_pages/Cadillac/49cadillac/49cadillac4.jpg

Talk about short booty...more like no booty!

RERM
08-16-04, 10:33 PM
thats funny, in Texas most people look down on you if you DON'T have Vouges on your Cadillac. You better atleast have white walls.

I rest my case

Night Wolf
08-17-04, 12:54 AM
honestly, for me it is the '85-'88 DeVille.... they were just ugly, looked real cheap, had the POS HT4100 etc... '89 ( or was it '88?) brought the major changes, but I still didn't like the grille/nose.... 1991 is where, IMO they made the car as good as it could get... well, in '93 when they blacked the grille out, it was ever better.... my Coupe is 3 inches shorter then a Sedan, all 3 inches are lost in rear seat leg room, I don't care.... a '93 Sedan BTW is just as long as a brand new DeVille.... they just look bigger...

SilverFleetwood85
11-12-04, 11:44 AM
The Cadillacs I do not like are the Cimmarron, Escalade (Just another fancy Chevy) and all the other models based off of it, 1994-2004 Devilles (very boaty looking and where is the chrome bumpers).

White Whale
11-12-04, 02:33 PM
ANY Cadillac I have to think about getting in and out of.
6'-'6", 250 should glide in and out a true Cadillac, IMHO.

CadiJeff
11-12-04, 05:50 PM
not a huge fan of the 80-85 seville, but I hate the 93+fleetwood brougham that thing was a sorry excuse for a cadillac,the body and engine are shared w/ at least 3 other cars, pathetic.

catscnfly
11-12-04, 07:25 PM
Does anyone have a picture of this car called Cimmaron?

Vesicant
11-12-04, 10:11 PM
http://sweb.cz/USCARS/Picture/Cadillac_Cimarron_1987.jpg

Vesicant
11-12-04, 10:14 PM
Ok, so I understand why people dont like the Cimarron...

but as for the Catera there's never really been a clear answer. Whats your real opinion about the Catera that makes you (the people who dont like Cateras) not like it? I'll accept any good answer. :cool:

Night Wolf
11-12-04, 10:29 PM
yeah, Cimmarion = Caviler with leather seats.... although the very last couple years of them, the outside styling got *OK* like the one pictured... they got the 2.8 V6 and a neat touring suspension...

Catera? I never liked or dislike them... these are the things that keep me from buying one:

styling.... don't like it... front looks like a Lumina, back looks like a baby (ex) STS that got slapped a few times.... the only way I know it is a Catera is becuase of the LED 3rd brake light... which is neat.

they seem to have a bad reliability

no aftermarket for the 3.0 V6

interrior is not my kind... since it is an Opel, it has that German interrior... IMO the interror of the '90's STS/ETC were the best Cadillac has offered...

never drove, or rode in one... but those are the reasons why they don't attract me.... what does attract me is a V6 + 5spd + RWD.... but it isn't a very powerful V6 either :(

If I was ever going to get a Catera type car, I would just save up more money and get a 3.6L CTS.... manual.... those are neat.... but not happening either....

3lowlacs
11-12-04, 10:44 PM
:coolgleam
any cadillac (CAR) on 20 in rims or bigger :tisk:
76-78 eldos look funny to me but i still like em
and a 82 eldo tc looks to much like a tornado(how ever its spelled) :hide: :D
and thats about it

barge master
11-14-04, 09:11 PM
Cimmarons are all right if you think of them as Cavaliers. As far as silly little cars go, the Cavalier walks on water IMO. What's up with the Catera bashing? I've never wrenched, driven or even sat in one, but I think they look pretty slick in their own way.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-01-05, 10:16 PM
I dont like the 85-88 deville/fleetwoods (FWD) and the 85-88 Eldorado/seville, and those opera coupes they built in late '70s early '80s. Thats about all i can think of.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-02-05, 04:55 AM
Not keen on the Cimarron as it is just a Sunbird.

I like the 8-6-4 as it was so ahead of its time which is something a Caddy should be.

Randy_W
11-02-05, 07:17 AM
yeah, caddy always seems to make entry level cars with varying degrees of success, case in point:

a. seville, first model, 76'-79'( nothing wrong here at all, just the entry level at it's time i believe).
b. cimmaron ( not good looking or cute, did'nt even sell well to my knowledge).
c. catera (much better lokking, but still does'nt do it for me).
d. CTS (nothing wrong with this car at all!!!, just their entry level car, will have a V series one day!!!).

Well, I have a couple of points to make. First Cadillac NEVER wanted the Cimmaron, it was forced on them by GM. If you notice, it wasn't called a Cadillac Cimmaron, it was called Cimmaron, by Cadillac, suttle but significant.
Next the early Sevilles were not entry level but were top of the line, about $3000 more than a Calais or DeVille.
That's all I got.:)

AlBundy
11-04-05, 09:11 PM
I don't like the micro caddys, and I don't like that smashed in trunk Eldo, it looks like a luxury VW beetle. By the way vogues are the sh_t. Normally where I come from its an incomplete caddy without vogues or white walls but most of you young bucks don't understand that and maybe some of you old bucks.

Pete Benson
11-05-05, 06:02 PM

NO WAY was this the entry level model! In fact, the first-generation Sevilles were the most expensive Cadillacs except for the limousines.

Pete Benson
11-05-05, 06:08 PM
Ok, so I understand why people dont like the Cimarron...
but as for the Catera there's never really been a clear answer. Whats your real opinion about the Catera that makes you (the people who dont like Cateras) not like it? I'll accept any good answer. :cool:
Not a bad car, but it's not a REAL Cadillac. It's a tweaked and fluffed, re-badged German-built Opel Commodore.

Pete Benson
11-05-05, 06:33 PM
Not a bad car, but it's not a REAL Cadillac. It's a tweaked and fluffed, re-badged German-built Opel Commodore.
Sorry!! Make that Opel Omega..............

cruella89deville
12-02-05, 11:55 AM
Eventhough I owned my previous '89 Sedan Deville...I never cared for the "smaller bodied" Cadillacs. Eventhough it was the same overall size as a new Impala, it just looked awkward I think. Like the cabin was huge, it has good length on the hood and trunk...but it just looked out of place. Maybe that's becasue the original Cadillac I wanted was a local '86 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. It was dark grey, with black vinyl top and pillow top leather. The car was absolutely stunning. That car was my dream. however it was sold the day before I got my money.

Having this said, I've always loved the mid-80's style Fleetwoods. all of the older "big-bodied" GM's. The ninety Eight, Caprice, etc. The styling is just timeless. When you drive it, you just feel like a million bucks. On the same token, the late 70's, VERY early '80's DeVilles. When they were still the big bodied style. In my opinion, the '81-ish style Coupe Deville was amazing. But the nagain, I have always loved the 80's G-bodies. The Monte, Regal, Cutlass. I always wanted one of those, but all the descent ones around here were rediculously overpriced. I realised I could get a Cadillac for half the price. But the mid 90's Deville was nice I always though. and I absolutely am in LOVE with the '00 style Eldorado ETC's. I'd love to own one.

Having this said, I always thought the 80's Eldorados were horrid. I alwost bought a...I forget the year, ETC one of the small body ones. All original, and red I believe. It was cool. But that's the only Cadillac...those and the 80's Sevilles...that I thought looked really goofy. I even kinda liked the Catera. But just kinda.

;)

Jesda
12-02-05, 01:49 PM
Its kind of odd how over the years the Seville went from 'small Caddy' to the top of the line at the turn of the century.

The Catera is good in theory, questionable in practice. Isnt it the car responsible for the loss of ducks in the crest?

mccombie_5
12-02-05, 04:18 PM
List of Cadillacs I dont like

86-92 Seville
86-92 Eldorado
80-85 Seville (bustleback is just wrong)
The small Devilles (85ish - 1993)

I dont think this was factory, but the Cadillac Seville Opera Coupe

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/97cad17598-A.jpg

Also ANYTHING past 1993 (excluding Fleetwood and Brougham) with a faux convertible top.

cruella89deville
12-04-05, 01:00 AM
Also ANYTHING past 1993 (excluding Fleetwood and Brougham) with a faux convertible top.

I'm not trying to cause a stir. I'm just saying... :cheers:

It's kinda funny how you say you like the newer Fleetwoods like that. Personally, I think they look bizarre. I drive this one guys at work ALL the time (I'm a valet), and I just think it's a weird vehicle. I don't even find it luxurious. For that size of vehicle, I would've rather taken an Impala SS. Perhaps even a Buick Roadmaster with it's crazy padded seats. lol. But there's just something about the newer Fleetwoods that I don't care for.

I've just always loved the classic ones. I love all of the chrome everywhere, the horrid suspensiond for a daily commute, hoping to start everyday, the sub-par brakes, it's just great. You don't find that as much in newer cars. As someone said in Hot Rod once: "I don't like new cars. They don't scare you as much as the old ones do..."

But that's just my pennies.

:highfive: :thumbsup:

mccombie_5
12-05-05, 03:55 PM
That is a good point you make, the whoel car has a strange look to it. I dont like the front grille and lights. Otherwise the rest is OK by me, the faux top is something i would rather not have, but since tis factory I can live with that.

DBA-One
12-07-05, 11:40 AM
Those opera coupes make me sick. I hate the mid 70's Eldorado. Most will gasp when I say this but here goes. I don't like the '59 Eldorado either.

boricuacaddy
12-20-05, 02:18 PM
Well, I have a couple of points to make. First Cadillac NEVER wanted the Cimmaron, it was forced on them by GM. If you notice, it wasn't called a Cadillac Cimmaron, it was called Cimmaron, by Cadillac, suttle but significant.
:)

I had read somewhere about this. I think they (Cadillac) would have been better of putting their emblem on a mule and calling it a Caddy! than that P.O.S. Cimarron. Just hearing the name gives me the chills.:alchi:

caddeville
12-23-05, 09:20 PM
The early 1980's sevilles make me barf, that rear end is.........embarasing. The cadillac catera is europien, it is actually an opel omega with cadillac emblems. The cadillac cimarron is not the right body style, its way to small, and it does not in any shape or form describe cadillacs. I really like the 1980 eldorado, 1981 V864 is junk, 1982+ 4100 is useless in that car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-23-05, 10:12 PM
1982+ 4100 is useless in that car.

How come?

caddeville
12-23-05, 10:15 PM
How come?
Its a very heavy car, and produces no power for a v8. I have a 4100 in my 87 deville with mods. I installed everything i could get for the hei distributor from msd including the msd 6a ignition. The uni-body cars are much lighter, thus the 4100 isn't a bad engine in them.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-23-05, 10:22 PM
84 Eldorado-3748 lbs
87 Sedan deVille- 3370 lbs

How much difference could that 378 lbs make on a stock HT4100?

caddeville
12-23-05, 11:01 PM
Also, the 4100 was revised.

1982-1984, 125hp
1985-1986, 130hp
1987, 135hp

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-24-05, 01:00 AM
1982: 125 @ 4200 rpm & 190 lb/ft @ 2000 rpm
1983-84: 135hp @ 4400rpm & 200 lb/ft @ 2200rpm
1985 (Seville, Brougham, Eldorado): : 135hp @ 4400rpm & 200 lb/ft @ 2200rpm
1985 (deville, fleetwood, limo): 125hp @ 4200rpm & 190 lb/ft @ 2200rpm
1986: 130hp @ 4200 rpm & 200 lb/ft @ 2200 rpm
1987: 130hp @ 4200 rpm & 200 lb/ft @ 2200 rpm

Source: "Standard Catalog of American Cars 1976-1999"
By James M. Flamming & Ron Kowalke

SilverFleetwood85
12-24-05, 01:43 AM
The early 1980's sevilles make me barf, that rear end is.........embarasing. The cadillac catera is europien, it is actually an opel omega with cadillac emblems. The cadillac cimarron is not the right body style, its way to small, and it does not in any shape or form describe cadillacs. I really like the 1980 eldorado, 1981 V864 is junk, 1982+ 4100 is useless in that car.

Hey you should be more respectful to the early 80s Sevilles. The car may not appeal to everybodys taste but it is a very unique product that still make peoples heads turn. Besides, I thought you liked the 4100.

caddeville
12-24-05, 01:53 AM
Hey you should be more respectful to the early 80s Sevilles. The car may not appeal to everybodys taste but it is a very unique product that still make peoples heads turn. Besides, I thought you liked the 4100. I'm not a fan of the 4100 is those cars, they are way to heavy for a tiny engine like that, a big car should have a big engine. But i understand that it wasn't the issue back in those days. The 4100 is plenty in my car and my dads. The early 80's seville is a nice car except the rear end, it has a very nice interior. I'd prefer the 1980 eldorado with the 5.7, the car has a very nice shape to it.

SilverFleetwood85
12-24-05, 02:04 AM
I'm not a fan of the 4100 is those cars, they are way to heavy for a tiny engine like that, a big car should have a big engine. But i understand that it wasn't the issue back in those days. The 4100 is plenty in my car and my dads. The early 80's seville is a nice car except the rear end, it has a very nice interior. I'd prefer the 1980 eldorado with the 5.7, the car has a very nice shape to it.

Your above post is much better then the previous one. You explained why you don't like the early 80s Seville (specifically). Instead of saying they make you barf.

The 4100 was not exactly a hot rod in the early 80s Cadillacs, but it did give the cars better MPG ratings, which is what Cadillac needed to meet the government's fuel economy requirements.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-24-05, 11:33 AM
What was a HT4100 '82 Eldorado rated at? What was the difference between that rating and the 81 V-8-6-4 rating?

Bro-Ham
12-24-05, 02:25 PM
I'd prefer the 1980 eldorado with the 5.7, the car has a very nice shape to it.

Just to clarify, for the U.S. market, when the Eldorado was redesigned for the 1979 model year it came standard with the 5.7 (350) EFI V8. In 1980, the standard Eldorado engine was the 6.0 (368) EFI V8, yet the 5.7 was available ONLY for California.

Asked above: "What was a HT4100 '82 Eldorado rated at? What was the difference between that rating and the 81 V-8-6-4 rating?"

I have EPA official Gas Mileage Guides for 1981 and 1982 and at the time the EPA did a single mileage figure, unlike the way we have City and Highway estimates now. In the 1981 Guide there is no estimate for the V8-6-4! The V8-6-4 is shown in the 1983 guide under the Limousine, which used a 3-speed auto and had extra weight, and it was rated 10 MPG! In the 1982 guide, the HT4100 is rated at 17 MPG.

The 1985 EPA guide finally shows city and highway ratings: 1985 Eldorado is rated at 16 city/22 highway for the HT4100. FYI, deVille/Fleetwood front drive with HT4100 is rated at 17/24 in 1985 and 17/25 in 1987. 1992 deVille is 16/25. 1995 Roadmaster is 17/25. Your dream car 1992 Brougham with a 350 is rated at 16/25.

Oh, Cadillacs I don't like? First, I should say I am sorry in advance if my opinions offend anyone. Here's a list:
Escalade - first generation is round at the front and square on the sides and doesn't look right to me. Second gen is square at front and round on sides and doesn't look right to me. I hope the next generation gets it right. Why does Cadillac sell trucks anyway?
Cimarron - touted by Cad as a Euro fighting drivers car but it was just another "J" car and looked funny with the simulated convertible tops traditional Cad buyers kept tacking on to them. I still can't believe Cadillac even introduced this dud!
Catera - ugly, not in any way Cadillac-like. Huge rebates at the time couldn't even sell this model when new.
V8-6-4 engine - everyone has the same problems. Great engine if it didn't have the variable displacement garbage. What was Cadillac thinking? I own one so I guess I must be nuts!
HT4100 engine - I see so many pretty early-mid 1980's Cadillacs in the junk yards because this engine simply didn't hold up. Poor performance too. The "High Technology" wasn't interesting to anyone and if Cadillac had kept a big iron V8 as an option they would have saved themselves lots of lost market share.
86-87 Eldorado - again, Cadillac trying to make the Eldo a Euro touring car but couldn't get the styling Euro enough nor traditional Cadillac enough and everyone hated it! The 88 redesign fixed it back to traditional Cadillac but the younger generation was obviously not part of the plan.
86-91 Seville - from a more understated and classy original design (75-79) to an artsy classic throwback to the days of real Cadillacs (80-85) to what?! The 86-91 Seville looked like a Skylark and was a completely bland car! Who would ever collect it in the future? If you want one get it now because they are all going to the crusher!
85-88 deVille/Fleetwood - again, half hearted attempt to make Euro inspired cars that were to also appeal to traditional Cadillac buyers. Result was boring, ugly, and slipped Cadillac farther back with younger buyers who saw the cars for the ugly boxes they were. The old traditional buyers hated the fact that the simulated convertible tops they wanted to tack on didn't look right hanging over the "limousine style" doors. The 89 redesign fixed the cars right back in the direction of what had worked before for traditional buyers: fender skirts, vinyl tops, cushy fancy looking seats, tail fins. Young sophistocated buyers were firmly buying BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and about to discover Lexus. Cadillac kept moving back in time.
94-96 deVille - Again, attempting to be more modern yet the closed rear wheel wells were simply dreadful! Bad looking car that got no one excited. 97-99 redesign opened up the rear wheel wells but still had silly square formal roof. 00-05 cars were more contemporary and less quirky. 06 is finally getting things as close to right as possible.
90-92 Brougham - Cadillac took a total classic and pimped it out for 1990! Lincoln did such a nice job restyling the 1990 Town Car yet Cadillac wrecked the Brougham by junking it up in appearance. Exterior nightmares include tacked on looking lower side cladding, vinyl top with closed in side rear door window that looked like an afterthought, way too much chrome on the center pillars between the doors. I do like the improved fuel injected engines compared with the weaker 307 yet none of these engines is anywhere near as quiet and smooth as the original overbuilt Cadillac iron V8 engines last seen in 1980 (I will not count the V8-6-4 in 1981). Inside, the door mounted seat belts are too high and strangle the front seat passengers. An airbag would have looked so much nicer and would have been a good selling point. Cadillac needed to do to the Brougham what Lincoln did with the Town Car yet Cadillac chose to do a cheap makeover rather than the necessary total restyle.
93-96 Fleetwood - I have to say something nice about this car: I do think it was novel and fun that a Corvette engine got stuffed into this car! My mind wonders if this model would have anyone even remotely interested in it if, say, the engine that powered it was the 307 Olds V8. I say this because if it weren't for the excitement of the engine, in my opinion not much else redeems this car. It is not a classic Cadillac in appearance in any way and to my eye is a tubby cartoon car. Examples: mile long dashboard, cheap looking interior with way too much plastic, simply overweight looking, the word "styling" doesn't even apply to this car, and the vinyl roof utterly detracts from the appearance yet most cars had it. It was designed to give traditional buyers a full size choice and it was rejected in the market when new. It has revived interest among enthusiasts who probably want a stealth car that looks harmless that can smoke tires and have blast off! Hee-haw! I wish Cadillac had kept the Brougham style from 92 and simply cleaned it up like Lincoln did with the Town Car in 1990. The Town Car also got its share of bad styling but even its bad styling is much less bad than the 93-96 Fleetwood.

Merry X-Mas!

All the best to everyone!

Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-24-05, 03:58 PM
Just for shits and giggles, do you know what a 72-76 Lincoln Mark IV with the 4bbl 460 and C6 transmission is rated at? I dont even know if they had the EPA ratings back then, but im gonna guess 9 city/ 15 highway.

Bro-Ham
12-24-05, 04:39 PM
Hi,

I don't have an EPA Gas Mileage Guide older than 1979. I started collecting car brochures at dealerships as a kid in 1979 and grabbed every brochure I could get my hands on and always picked up the EPA guide.

By the way, I am in Hudson, WI for the next week or so for the holidays. I drove up from Florida last weekend in my '79 Sedan deVille. Anyway, I have an office in Oak Park Heights where I have stored about 25 years worth of car brochures that I would like to find a home for if you or someone you know may be interested in. Let me know!

Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-24-05, 09:52 PM
Distance from Eagan MN to Hudson WI??????
Mayyyybe, I know a lot of stuff I want!

Bro-Ham
12-25-05, 11:26 AM
Hello!

Brochures are in Oak Park Heights which is right next to Stillwater - - maybe 30 miles from Eagan. I have a ton of brochures and want to get rid of them all. Best selection of 1980's and 1990's but have plenty 2000+.

Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-25-05, 01:07 PM
I will have to do that over break. I have until the 9th of January until im back in school! I got $60 for x-mas and I need to find a good way to spend it! :sneaky:
I'll make a list tomorrow!

Bro-Ham
12-25-05, 07:12 PM
Hi,

Consider this a holiday present...save your money for your car! I don't want your money, I just need these things out. There are some I want to keep but most of them are just in storage boxes taking up space! I want to keep some of the Cad and GM stuff but I probably have at least 2 copies of everything so I'm sure you'll find plenty you'll like. I thought of putting the stuff on eBay but it's a big project and I don't really have time to do it. Let's get together and go through these and you can keep what you want or maybe you will want them all? Bring a truck if you do! Let me know.

Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-25-05, 08:44 PM
Well I dont have a truck, but my trunk is plenty big :D
lemme see here, I would like:
Domestics:
1972-76 Lincoln Mark IV
1977-79 Lincoln Mark V
1980-89 Lincoln (any)
1993-98 Lincoln Mark VIII
1995-97 Lincoln Town Car
1995-2002 Lincoln Continental
1979-85 Cadillac Eldorado
1981-84 Cadillac (any)
1986-92 Cadillac Brougham
1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (if they made a seperate brochure for that one)
1996 Cadillac (full line or FWB or deVille)
1988-96 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
1990-92 Oldsmobile Toronado
1979-85 Oldsmobile Toronado
1992-99 Pontiac Bonneville
1998-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

Foreign:
1997-2003 Audi A8
1992-1999 Mercedes Benz S Class
1991-1999 Nissan Maxima
1990-02 Lexus LS
1990-03 Infiniti Q45

PM me for address or directions