08-25-09, 11:40 PM
:stirpot:

Any thoughts on who'll win this run?

Caroutisine
08-25-09, 11:43 PM
The better driver? :)

nradcad
08-26-09, 12:18 AM
I can't believe how bad the brakes are. 126 feet from 60? Wha? Actually, I think it has more to do with the tires being terrible.

SRT8/BMW
08-26-09, 03:56 PM
the firehawk might be close--but still not enough to take the V.

wfo
08-26-09, 05:44 PM
We can't be serious. Hello...Folks this car's got the Nurburgring track record for sport sedans. Very impressive numbers. Firehawk..come on now. Even if we've got to push around 4200 pounds. Just my humble opinion, but these supercharged LSA's are wickedly fast cars.

Any one want to challenge that?

edsuski
08-26-09, 06:00 PM
I have owned Firehawks (the Firebird version) and they are great cars. I like the exclusivity. But no way this will out run the V.... The V was designed from the ground up with this level of performance in mind. Let's see the times from the ring before we get too excited.

Check this out (if it works): http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=878&pictureid=4536

Ed

Luna.
08-26-09, 07:09 PM
What exactly are the specs on the Firehawk again?

rekctsv
08-26-09, 07:40 PM
This is my first time hearing of a G8 SLP Firehawk.

I'll take a V2 over it hands down but as far as performance isn't the numbers almost identical?
4 sec to 60 mph and 12.1 quarter mile sounds like a drivers race to me.

SlvrBullIT
08-26-09, 09:41 PM
4.2 12.9 from what I've seen

nradcad
08-27-09, 01:05 AM
4.2 12.9 from what I've seen

YouTube - MW 2009: Pontiac G8 GT Firehawk Road Test

These numbers are considerably better than that.

SlvrBullIT
08-27-09, 02:00 AM
I'll do a CAI and mandrel bent exhaust and do "considerably" better than that too (sub 4.0 and sub 12.0)...... 56K is a little too steep for that car, but all in all I like the car. Braking needed some work, getting the 60-0 down 10 more feet and I would give it :2thumbs: . G8 is such a good car to be going bye-bye.

From SLP (http://wot.motortrend.com/6439658/aftermarket/slp-reveals-500-hp-pontiac-g8-firehawk-supercharged-is-it-worthy-of-the-name/index.html)

During the Firehawk-ification, the innocent G8 GT will receive an SLP TVS 1900 500-hp Series supercharger similar to the unit found on the mighty Corvette ZR1. Matched with an SLP Blackwing Cold Air Induction kit and an SLP PowerFlo stainless steel exhaust system, the Firehawk should lay down 500 hp, which SLP says will be good for a 4.3-second 0 to 60 time and a 12.6-second quarter-mile at 115 mph. Each G8 Firehawk will be dyno-tuned before it leaves SLP. So I was a "little" bit off... but the video you shows it did better... which is good but....

Fully optioned out, the Firehawk could break the bank at nearly $60,000 I'll take my V, I bought it for that much.

I still like the car, if I didn't get a V, I would be very happy with the Firehawk!!!

SlvrBullIT
08-27-09, 02:04 AM
Gotta go do my exhaust and intake now.... Firehawk gonna chase me down :eek:

:thumbsup: to the G8 SLP Firehawk though, still miffed they are getting rid of that platform :mad::mad::mad::want::want::want: I think from what critics say is that the G8 platform is much better than the Camaro platform at the moment!!!

V-Eight
08-27-09, 02:32 AM
Gotta go do my exhaust and intake now.... Firehawk gonna chase me down :eek:

:thumbsup: to the G8 SLP Firehawk though, still miffed they are getting rid of that platform :mad::mad::mad::want::want::want: I think from what critics say is that the G8 platform is much better than the Camaro platform at the moment!!!

I read that the Camaro just used a modified version on the G8 platform?

SlvrBullIT
08-27-09, 03:57 AM
I read that the Camaro just used a modified version on the G8 platform?

Apparently Camaro is a derivative of the Zeta platform from Australia, but is flawed for some reason....Kinda weird that critics laud Camaro and give :2thumbs: to G8.......

Krug Ford
08-27-09, 01:59 PM
Ouch.. The price.

I'd rather have a V or a vette..

Luna.
08-27-09, 03:04 PM
I'm a little skeptical about the price, but wow...what a car!

Disappointing that it won't be made anymore. That's a serious performance machine

nradcad
08-28-09, 12:19 AM
I can't believe how GM is gonna kill the G8. I mean, really? That HAS to be one of the hottest selling cars at the moment for that company. They nailed the styling.

Caroutisine
08-28-09, 02:15 PM
Yes, I wonder if GM is listening. Since the Pontiac division will be gone, and with the current trend tward bringing back old nameplates, how about make the G8 the new Chevelle? Just change the styling a bit to make it look "Chevy".

tedcmiller
08-28-09, 03:21 PM
Since the Pontiac division is being shut down and the Cadillac division is not, I would say that Cadillac wins.

CSX
08-28-09, 05:46 PM
I hope the V2 destroys the G8 "Firehawk" in every way possible. My disdain for SLP in general aside, tarnishing the Firehawk nameplate by slapping its name on a 4-door sedan is hands done one of the dumbest moves they've ever made. Even more so considering the fact that they didn't even take into account the majority opinion of current Firehawk owners, who obviously were not in favor of such a move.

nradcad
08-28-09, 10:02 PM
I hope the V2 destroys the G8 "Firehawk" in every way possible. My disdain for SLP in general aside, tarnishing the Firehawk nameplate by slapping its name on a 4-door sedan is hands done one of the dumbest moves they've ever made. Even more so considering the fact that they didn't even take into account the majority opinion of current Firehawk owners, who obviously were not in favor of such a move.

I dunno...it would have worked if SLP carried the same weight as AMG or M. I would say that super sport sedans is the hot trend right now and GM was just responding to an obvious market.

SLPR 6.0L
08-29-09, 12:55 AM
Sorry guys, but theres always something faster. This thing is going to put the smack down on the V2 if it is running a 12.1 @124mph. The key is 124 mph, and that is with 245s. Based on the mph, the tire is holding this car back. Put a V2 275 and welcome to the 11 second club. This thing mphs like a ZR-1 with a 1000lbs of blubber. Too bad it has a Pontiac interior. It seems like other SLP products had modified internals. Unless this car is a ringer, that is not a typical S/C or 6.0L. Definitely a candidate to replace the V1 and gets over 22 mpg!

SLPR 6.0L
08-29-09, 01:14 AM
Its a ringer. Car and driver ran one at 115mph

edsuski
08-29-09, 01:37 PM
Sorry guys, but theres always something faster. This thing is going to put the smack down on the V2 if it is running a 12.1 @124mph. The key is 124 mph, and that is with 245s. Based on the mph, the tire is holding this car back. Put a V2 275 and welcome to the 11 second club. This thing mphs like a ZR-1 with a 1000lbs of blubber. Too bad it has a Pontiac interior. It seems like other SLP products had modified internals. Unless this car is a ringer, that is not a typical S/C or 6.0L. Definitely a candidate to replace the V1 and gets over 22 mpg!

Having owned SLP vehicles in the past I can tell you that I think their claims for performance are very optimistic. As the next poster mentioned (previous to this) when car and driver tested the SLP G8 they were only able to get 115 in the 1/4 mile not 124 - that is a huge difference.

Ed

V-Eight
08-29-09, 10:59 PM
Yes, I wonder if GM is listening. Since the Pontiac division will be gone, and with the current trend tward bringing back old nameplates, how about make the G8 the new Chevelle? Just change the styling a bit to make it look "Chevy".

Yeah, they've already got the front and back grilles because it was sold in other countries as the Lumina SS. If they did make it the Chevelle they would also HAVE to make a coupe version. Plus, the Malibu is what the Chevelle became so.........maybe they could just come up with a new name.

nradcad
08-30-09, 03:56 PM
I would hate to see GM kill the G8. It would make me think twice that the company 'knows' what the proper direction should be.

Caroutisine
08-30-09, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking that they may not kill the G8. But now that they have the Camaro, who knows? Would be a shame though. Found some pics of the Lumina SS online...not bad. Looks alot like the GTO though IMHO.

nradcad
08-30-09, 04:07 PM
Ya, it's not bad looking. However, it's hard to take a car seriously named 'Lumina.' Really? Maybe bring back the Monte Carlo as a 4 door or something. Worked for Dodge and the Charger.

Dukeofpg
09-05-09, 01:02 AM
I have owned Firehawks (the Firebird version) and they are great cars. I like the exclusivity. But no way this will out run the V.... The V was designed from the ground up with this level of performance in mind. Let's see the times from the ring before we get too excited.

The Firehawk is a supercharged G8 pushing about 570hp

edsuski
09-05-09, 01:52 PM
The Firehawk is a supercharged G8 pushing about 570hp

The original Firehawk was built from a Firebird. You ordered it at the dealer, GM shipped the Firebird to SLP Engineering in Toms River New Jersey and they added a new loud mouth exhaust including a new cat, 17" wheels and Firestone Firehawk tires. They also added a cold air intake that was able to draw air from the custom hood that included hood scoops. The package included things like floor mats and plaques and special Firehawk graphics. They claimed 4.9 seconds 0-60. It was pretty exclusive the year I bought mine - something like 2500 made.

They do good work but our magnetic suspension and all of the tuning that GM put into the V is pretty tough to beat, not to mention the luxury.

Ed

Vrocks
09-06-09, 03:13 PM

A trap speed of 124 sounds really high for that car and power. For < $1,600 my V will be putting around 520-530 to the wheels, and I'd be very happy with a 124 trap speed.

V-Eight
09-08-09, 08:43 PM
I heard the stocker Trans-Ams were close to 4.9....

Caroutisine
09-08-09, 10:46 PM
Ya, it's not bad looking. However, it's hard to take a car seriously named 'Lumina.' Really? Maybe bring back the Monte Carlo as a 4 door or something. Worked for Dodge and the Charger.

Agreed. Maybe bring back the Laguna :) Or the Monza V8 :) Lol.

Seriously, Chevelle SS could be a nice looking car if they did it right and bring back some old school Chevy baby boomer buyers. I think GM did a good job with the new Camaro. Just took too long for it to come out. Glad I waited for the V2.