: Trying to be more like you guys

9ine3reefleet
08-25-09, 06:23 PM
Cadillac fanatics, connoisseurs, supporters, and everything in-between, first let me tell you that I love you guys.:worship: All of you who take the time to answer questions and post helpful insights to all, including me. My first FWB (1986) came two days before I graduated from college as a gift from my grandad, who was a pastor so you know it was CLEAN. I loved the damn thing since I was a kid and he decided to part with it after I asked him only once to sell or give it to me for graduation and he gave it to me. Couldnt believe it. This is when I learned about Carbs as the damn thing cut off on me while cruising through the neighborhood on the way to switch titles. (Please dont look at me like that). My joy was short lived though as in less than 30 days the accelerator sticks on me in a bank parking lot leaving the club at 4 in the morn and me and two others go FLYING into brick wall surroundings in the lot. Luckily I hit no one and no one was hurt. I had another car so I had it towed back to my apt and began back driving that one when two weeks later a DEER in DECATUR, GA (the freakin city) jumps out in broad day light and totals it. Back to the Fleet I go. The damn thing still ran like a champ. Minor problems but ran like a champ for another year....

...Ok Ok Ok. I am at work and rambling, back to the title of the post. I got my 93 FWB using a school refund (graduate) about a month ago and reading you guys' post makes me jealous. I have never been a gear head or mechanic of any sort and I know that I am no where near where I should be of what I should know, as a man, about cars, more specifically my car. I am weary of people working on this car. I am the novice of all novices but I am ready to get down and dirty learning the ins and outs, parts and what they do, working on my car, etc. The autoshop teacher here at the school I teach at recommended Chilton's or some other DIY book for knowledge. I want to be like you guys one day and answer some questions instead of asking them ALL the time. What do you guys say? It seems like this stuff was in you alls DNA from birth or was it a process.

Sorry for the lengthy lengthy post.:blah:

Stingroo
08-25-09, 06:51 PM
No, no, no, and no.

Buy a FSM.

Here's an ebay link to one for your car. It's the same manual a dealership shop uses to fix cars. It'd go into MUCH more detail than a Chilton's or Haynes book.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Cadillac-Fleetwood-Factory-Shop-Service-Manual_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14Q QhashZitem334efef69aQQitemZ220368664218QQptZMotors Q5fManualsQ5fLiterature

At least, that's what I was told. :P I plan on getting one for my car in the next 2 weeks, when I get my huge chunk of cash from school too :D We can be Fleetwood novices together! lol

jayoldschool
08-25-09, 07:28 PM
Sting's right. The FSM is where you should spend your money (then your time!).

Bro-Ham
08-25-09, 07:29 PM
Hey 9ine3ree!

There are no requirements to take part in the fun on this forum. :) Everyone contributes in their own way. Each of us has interest in or knowledge of the pieces of the puzzle that make up these cars. Together we make owning these cars less of a mystery and more fun by sharing with each other. I'm not mechanically inclined either which is why I take part in the forum to learn more. I do know plenty about other Cadillac details from my lifelong interest in cars which I enthusiastically share with others who so generously share their knowledge with me. At some point you'll realize you're holding the answer to a fellow forum participant's problem and when you give them a helping hand it will all become clear. We're all here for you! :)

Have fun with your car and keep us posted on all the fun you have with it!

Dave

Stingroo
08-25-09, 07:31 PM
For the record though, I've been around cars all my life, and I can remember even when I was little helping my dad with things like just getting tools, or the correct socket he needed, that I would ask what practically everything he touched was, or what it did.

I know it's helped. :P But really, nothing replaces hands on experience. That's why I wish I was able to work on my own car, but unfortunately, with it being 6 hours away, I can't. :(

EDIT: And I'd like to echo Bro-Ham's statement. I don't know much mechanically, but I love trivia, and car trivia especially. lol

9ine3reefleet
08-25-09, 09:23 PM
No, no, no, and no.

Buy a FSM.

Here's an ebay link to one for your car. It's the same manual a dealership shop uses to fix cars. It'd go into MUCH more detail than a Chilton's or Haynes book.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Cadillac-Fleetwood-Factory-Shop-Service-Manual_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14Q QhashZitem334efef69aQQitemZ220368664218QQptZMotors Q5fManualsQ5fLiterature

At least, that's what I was told. :P I plan on getting one for my car in the next 2 weeks, when I get my huge chunk of cash from school too :D We can be Fleetwood novices together! lol

lol. Those checks do come in handy. Too bad/or good it was my last one. lol. I saw these on Ebay too. I will have to check it out. Anyone else vouch for this book? Thanks man. Good luck on getting your Lac.

9ine3reefleet
08-25-09, 09:29 PM
Anyone else vouch for this book?

OOPS jay already did. I will be gettin it as soon as I get paid. My window is on the fritz and I need to fix it. Would this be in there? As thick as it looks, I hope so. My tranny shifts hard as well after first take off and a couple more stops when shifting into second. Usually in the morn and after work when sitting for a while.

osu411yamaha
08-25-09, 09:36 PM
Its funny how the accelerator always happens to stick when leaving the club or bars. Ive heard that one before a few times. Never has anything to do with what they were drinking while they were in the club....:thepan:

sven914
08-25-09, 09:44 PM
Most importantly for you to be able to help others, you have to understand you car and Cadillac. Do a little research on the history of the company; the origin of Cadillac, the different carlines, the engines, the special options, etc... Familiarize yourself with the special little things that hold Cadillac up as the American Luxury Sedan or the Standard of the World. Once you understand the car, then you will be drawn into the technical aspects of it (don't believe me; what better way is there to get to know you car than to decipher the RPO label) .

Bro-Ham
08-25-09, 10:46 PM
Its funny how the accelerator always happens to stick when leaving the club or bars. Ive heard that one before a few times. Never has anything to do with what they were drinking while they were in the club....:thepan:

My car always seems to have a mind of its own after I've had a few cocktails. :)

77CDV
08-25-09, 10:57 PM
+1 on the FSM, FWIW.

Stingroo
08-25-09, 11:12 PM
FWIW?

Also, that's a really, really sad way to end that Brougham's life. :( Just for the record. lol Hopefully that won't happen again. :)

Cadillacon22s
08-26-09, 12:08 AM
Most problems Cadi owners have are common so by just driving the car and going through the mechanical probems, fixing or having them fixed you begin to obtain knowledge about the car and share with another Cadillac owner that maybe describes a problem you had with your car that drove you nuts. You live and you learn I guess?

jey
08-26-09, 12:52 AM
The FSM I bought on eBay is the best $20 I've ever spent in my life. The best $3500 I ever spent was the 93 Fleetwood I bought. Enjoy. Start with routine maintenance on the car - take care of the car and it will take care of you, especially if you enjoy working on cars.

perks
08-26-09, 11:39 AM
I'll second (or third, or fourth, or fifth, or whatever) the FSM manual. It's the best resource out there (especially for older cars, like my '63!). It's good that you've been around cars, because these obviously aren't "repairs for dummies" manuals, and the FSMs do presume you already have a certain level of expertise already. The FSM for my car, for example, offers fewer diagrams than I would like, since I'm not a mechanic. But pretty much everything is in there.

Ironically, although I've spent a bundle on repairs so far, I've yet to actually use my service manual since all of the fixes have required putting the car on a lift, which of course I will never have the space to install.

jey
08-26-09, 02:28 PM
Could a set of jack stands or even ramps take the place of most jobs requiring a lift?

Stingroo
08-26-09, 04:14 PM
Jack stands, possibly. Ramps, I wouldn't. After shopping for them, I found it hard to find a pair sturdy enough.

Angry Matt
08-26-09, 07:48 PM
Get 6 ton jack stands if you can. I swear I could hear my 3 1/2's crying out in pain. They never looked safe to me. Plus the 6's go much higher.

Stingroo
08-26-09, 07:51 PM
SIX? That might be a little overkill, no?

How bad is the noise from the 3 1/2s? I was going to get a 3 ton set.. but maybe not now. That sounds kinda scary. lol

Angry Matt
08-26-09, 08:15 PM
I'm working on a stone driveway, that might be the main issue. They weren't literally making noise, but they always looked unstable, again probably the stone not letting them sit flat. They were always crooked or leaning and you don't want to see that when you're under a car. I bought a set of 6's off craigslist for $35 (4) and couldn't be happier. My buddy up the street also only uses 6's under his cadillacs. They are almost twice as tall at full extension (made for suv's). The jack doesn't reach that high so I have to use blocks on it. Imo, the extra room under the car and the added stability are well worth it.

9ine3reefleet
08-27-09, 10:48 AM
Hey 9ine3ree!

There are no requirements to take part in the fun on this forum. :) Everyone contributes in their own way. Each of us has interest in or knowledge of the pieces of the puzzle that make up these cars. Together we make owning these cars less of a mystery and more fun by sharing with each other. I'm not mechanically inclined either which is why I take part in the forum to learn more. I do know plenty about other Cadillac details from my lifelong interest in cars which I enthusiastically share with others who so generously share their knowledge with me. At some point you'll realize you're holding the answer to a fellow forum participant's problem and when you give them a helping hand it will all become clear. We're all here for you! :)

Have fun with your car and keep us posted on all the fun you have with it!

Dave

Thats what I like about this forum and you guys. Nobody is rude (usually) and there is a mixture of knowledge levels here so I never feel too bad. As far as having fun with my car, I am looking too fix this window I have this weekend or when I get my other car (work car) from my friend, she is borrowing it until she gets back on her feet. The window is killing the ride and sometimes falls while im in my house for no reason. The motor wont make a sound anymore leading me to believe its out. Wish me luck, I have a rep for f*ing things up before I get it right.

Bro-Ham
08-27-09, 10:58 AM
You'll be fine - - if you need assistance you have lots of people here to hold your hand! :)

Stingroo
08-27-09, 12:01 PM
If the motor doesn't make noise, yeah, it's probably dead. If it did, it could be a regulator, but I guess not. lol

I'm with you there though, when I get my car I'll never be on this campus again. There are so many beaches here just WAITING to be cruised. :D