: Automotive Literature , How bad you got it ?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-26-04, 06:39 PM
So anyone esle as sad as i am ? I have just about every Autoweek from June of 1987 to today and Sales Brocures from about 1990 to around 1999 and a couple from this year (lack of space is killing me )

I know sandy has to be alomst as bad as me ....

Then of coarse there is the books , Indy Pacecars book , american auto history books and before too long im going for books on imported cars like german japanese brittsh cars and the like .

My goal is to have information on everycar from 1979 up and alot on 1979 and below on selected makes and vehicles

Vesicant
07-26-04, 06:48 PM
Youll find a wealth of Car and driver, Motor Trend and Road and Track magazines in our bathrooms.

LOL. (seriously, they stay there)

Ralph
07-26-04, 06:50 PM
Ya, I got stacks of brochures going back to the late 1980's. (same goes for gun mags) I don't know where to put them anymore, so I end up giving a few to friends when they come over. (don't have the heart to throw them away) Lots of Musclecar mags, etc, but my holy grail is a 1971 "Consumer Guide" (I believe) that contains the article that year about the Olds 442's from which convinced my Dad to buy that "King of the Road" car for 1971 in W30 trim. I've also kept the March 1986 issue of "Popular and Performance CAR REVIEW." This issue contains interviews about the much debated movie "Vanishing Point" with Barry Newman, and one of my all time fav. car movies. You can have it if you can pry it from my cold, dead, lifeless......well, you get the idea. :D

Now with the net, I don't usually buy anymore.

CoupeDevilleRob
07-26-04, 07:32 PM
Lack of space is killing me too Stoneage. I have a bunch of brochures from 1995 up. I've got just about every Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile and Road and Track from 2000 up, not to mention my assortment of Car and Driver and Motor Trends from the 80s and 90s. Plus there are the books. And there is no sign of me stopping.

Sandy
07-27-04, 12:10 AM
I have (regarding books) several "History of_____" books, including:
Imperial, Dodge, Plymouth & Chrysler; Cadillac, Olds, Ford, Mercury & Lincoln, and Thunderbird. My collection has been referred to and "spoken" of in major automobile journals. As an Automotive Journalist I have won the coveted "Golden Quill Award" in part from my collection.
I have collected automotive sales brochures & color chip folders since 1958 (age 12). I have 85 to 90% of every DOMESTIC sales brochure ever printed. They are housed in metal, locking, flame-proof filing cabinets that line 360-degrees of my basement and 360-degrees of my attic, which is air conditioned to prevent yellowing of the paper. To my knowledge, it's the largest privately held collection that is not swapped, sold, traded or put on public display in America. It's stored in 71 five drawer filing cabinets, or 355 drawers, filled to capacity.
It becomes an obsession. I also have some showroom color & trim books and other unusual trinkets.
I actually even contribute to a yearly book, The Corvette Black Book, where I am a co-contributer. Of course, I have all the car magazines wherein I penned feature articles. Duh.
My favorites are brochures from the "BIG 3" featuring models that were never made, and the brochures were shipped to dealers, who were then instructed to throw them away, as new "fixed" brochures were "on the way" ~ These are really cool to own!!

Ralph
07-27-04, 01:47 AM
I have (regarding books) several "History of_____" books, including:
Imperial, Dodge, Plymouth & Chrysler; Cadillac, Olds, Ford, Mercury & Lincoln, and Thunderbird. My collection has been referred to and "spoken" of in major automobile journals. As an Automotive Journalist I have won the coveted "Golden Quill Award" in part from my collection.
I have collected automotive sales brochures & color chip folders since 1958 (age 12). I have 85 to 90% of every DOMESTIC sales brochure ever printed. They are housed in metal, locking, flame-proof filing cabinets that line 360-degrees of my basement and 360-degrees of my attic, which is air conditioned to prevent yellowing of the paper. To my knowledge, it's the largest privately held collection that is not swapped, sold, traded or put on public display in America. It's stored in 71 five drawer filing cabinets, or 355 drawers, filled to capacity.
It becomes an obsession. I also have some showroom color & trim books and other unusual trinkets.
I actually even contribute to a yearly book, The Corvette Black Book, where I am a co-contributer. Of course, I have all the car magazines wherein I penned feature articles. Duh.
My favorites are brochures from the "BIG 3" featuring models that were never made, and the brochures were shipped to dealers, who were then instructed to throw them away, as new "fixed" brochures were "on the way" ~ These are really cool to own!!

Beam me over, I'd sure like to check that out! I bet some of it is worth a lot of money? If you have a scanner, It'd be cool to see something on a 1959 or so.

Msilva954
07-27-04, 09:17 AM
Youll find a wealth of Car and driver, Motor Trend and Road and Track magazines in our bathrooms.

LOL. (seriously, they stay there)

Tell me about it..hahah...you should see my bathroom now..

But truthfully.....I have a 5 yr subscription with MotorTrend; 2 with Road & Track.....1 with car and drive and another with autoweek (they really add up) not counting all the years I just bought over the counter......Ive had to remove my clothing from a number of drawers numerous times....and now I only have 2 draws dedicated to clothing.....the rest (7) is Car mags......and Im only 16 yrs old.....imagine when I get to your ages.......Illl need an industrial warehouse to store all these things.

Sandy
07-27-04, 10:49 AM
TRUST ME ON THIS:--

Seek Professional Help....NOW!!! It only gets WORSE!!! (or is that better?) ;)

Vesicant
07-27-04, 10:57 AM
I forgot, we have tons of issues of national geographic's from 70-80-90's - some of them have some pretty sweet car ads, electronic ads etc. But those magazines are all in boxes now.

Msilva954
07-27-04, 12:04 PM
I forgot, we have tons of issues of national geographic's from 70-80-90's - some of them have some pretty sweet car ads, electronic ads etc. But those magazines are all in boxes now.

Man, I love reading those old car ads in those NG mags....go to the library they have tons.

CoupeDevilleRob
07-27-04, 03:22 PM
My grandfather had a bunch of old NGs. I cut some of the car adds out, framed them and hung them in my room. Nothing beats old car ads for a wall decoration.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-28-04, 06:47 PM
sandy , so that ,means you have brocures for the 1990 Beretta Convertible of which 3 were made (indy)?(edit just want to know if they actaully went all the way to print brocures before axing the program)

also didnt know you were a automotive journalist , i love to do that kinda thing but it involves moving away from florida

RBraczyk
07-28-04, 07:15 PM
now would you have a 1994 K Series Blazer and a 1994 Cadillac sedan deville brochure?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-28-04, 08:32 PM
i have the 94 K5 in gmc form , and full line cadillac from 94 95 96 97

like sandy mine are going nowhere

Sandy
07-28-04, 09:54 PM
sandy , so that ,means you have brocures for the 1990 Beretta Convertible of which 3 were made (indy)?(edit just want to know if they actaully went all the way to print brocures before axing the program)

also didnt know you were a automotive journalist , i love to do that kinda thing but it involves moving away from florida

Far as I know, NO brochures were printed for the Beretta 'Vert. Too many to recall, but the 1st ones to come to mind are the 1968 Dodge Monaco 'Vert, which was cancelled for the USA, but got the green light for Canada, as it's much warmer climate than America, dictates more sales of Convertibles! ;)
Also have the 1977 Oldsmobile Toronado Catalog showing the X featuring the POWER T-Top. The 1977 Cadillac Seville Coupe and the 2002 Ford Focus Catalog showing the World Trade Center on the cover, taken just porior to 9/11 (they were all trashed AT the dealers when they arrived, and new ones with new covers were rushed off the press's....Also the Mustang Cobra in GOLD for (I think 2002) None were made, if you recall, they skipped a year.
1975 Pontiac G.T.O. (Last year built was 1974). Few others....

You can be an automotive journalist in Florida. Hell ~ I'm in New Joisey !
I switched to that after 27 years of constant abuse - Ooops, I meant to say selling cars. I sold Subaru, Ford, Lincoln Mercury, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Dodge, Chryser-Imperial & Plymouth. I think Buick & Cadillac were the only two I never got to :)

Stoneage_Caddy
07-28-04, 10:09 PM
hmm thats a thought , ive ate slept and breathed all things cars since the woumb 23 years ago

Msilva954
07-28-04, 10:21 PM
I think MotorTrend has a Big Florida Office.....but nowadays you have to have a degree in just about everything to be a auto jurnalist......and yet alot of them still seem to talk bull.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-28-04, 10:34 PM
im gonna look into this , right up my alley since journalsisim school is a year away

sandy , i just realized you said "Power " and "T-Top" and "Toronado" in the same line ..if you ever scan it i would love to see it , even a descrition would be great on how that would work

Sandy
07-29-04, 02:37 AM
The 1977 Olds Toronado XS-R was an idea jointly between asc and oldsmobile. It looked like a regular T-Top, however when the button was pushed, the two halfs slid on tracks inward to the center beam of the "T", one over the other or stacked & hidden by the T roof. They were dark smoked glass. The unique model was too expensive to put into production, and only 1 such car was built, in Firethorn Red with matching padded 1/4 roof & red clother (I think) interior. I've eyeballed her at car shows, she lives HERE in New Jersey. She was brought back to showroon condition. I have no scanner, and now I have a computer with a problem, too! 6 year old computer, here. Has a crank on the side ! :helpless:
By the way, that Toro had NO "C" pillars! The rear window did a 360 across the car's back and then forward down to the "B" pillars.
Also, Cadillac did a handfull of them with ASC on Eldorado Biarritz models. 1977/1978. I believe the # of them was 9.
I have seen 1 Eldo with it. The Toro was better looking with that rear living room window.

RBraczyk
07-29-04, 06:25 AM
I have the 94 Chevy K series booklet which i can't find at the moment, but when i do i know its in showroom mint shape. Thats not going anywhere either.

Sandy
07-29-04, 08:29 AM
I do not have too many truck brochures. I have tons of SUV and minivans, but "Truck-TruckS" I am light on. I have a complete set of Jeep Cherokee (XJ) the Original Cherokee brochures from 1984-2001, and most all minivans. Regarding foreign literature, I have very little, Jaguar 1997 to present, some Aston Martin and a few Mercedes, BMW. A complete set of Audi from 1994 forward. The collection is mainly American CAR. Also have hundreds of color chip folders dating back to 1967.
Just got a 2004 Chevrolet Classic Brochure. Few know what it is. It's a 2003 Malibu, rebadged as a "Classic" for 2004 and ORIGINALLY only sold to fleets. They look identical to 2003 Malibus, BUT in 2004 paint colors and the Malibu namplate is deleted in favor of a "classic" nameplate.

Msilva954
07-30-04, 09:12 PM
Sandy, I bet you have every ASC brosure out there.huh.

Sandy
07-30-04, 09:56 PM
The 1985s (2)
The 1986s (2)
The 1987 (2)
The 1988 (2)
The 1989 (2)
The 1990 (1)
The sole magazine advertisment, that appeared only once.
The 1989 color chart (only year issued)
The 1990 Master Color/Trim Book.

Msilva954
07-31-04, 12:01 AM
Hahahahaa......did u special order all??

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-04, 12:29 AM
Whats in the ASC stuff ? I knew they turned out a few concept cars, some sunroofs (where the name came from) and some convertibles (mustang, vette, and J body come to mind)

Msilva954
07-31-04, 12:52 AM
The Hott Mustangs mostly.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-04, 12:54 AM
oh yah they did that mclaren mustang/capri didnt they ?

Sandy
07-31-04, 01:16 AM
Yes, THAT'S WHAT I AM REALLY INTO!
Have written many articles on them, to raise awareness, and I own 3 of them, including the final one made, a 1990, the 6th from the final one a special 25th Silver Anniversary model, and a 1986 Mercury Capri Hatchback edition.
Have my own website on them, too.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ascmclaren
if you are interested. Terrific cars, they are. Are appreciating in value, now bringing as high as $22,000 for mint, low mileage 1989s & 1990s.

They also did a Special Edition Grand Prix McLaren 1988/1989 Turbo Grand Prix GTP and the Buick GNX Regal.

Here's pics of my 2 ascMcLarens.
http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/

.......and these are all sold (Old Pics) ~ except the Caddy & my Son's Cherokee Limited 4X4 (which is new). The pink '88 deVille & pink '86 Mark 7 were my wifes. She now drive my Town Car & our son's Cherokee.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_other_cars_-/

Msilva954
07-31-04, 09:23 AM
I remember about a year or two ago, I used to always vist the markViii club website and always stumbled across those beatiful ASC's of yours........you have that list of them on the forum and I always said to my self "Damn I want those cars". haha

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-04, 01:58 PM
sandy as i suspected you must be this guy :
http://home1.gte.net/5liter/mmr/ascmclaren2.htm

id love to have a mclaren capri .....

edit : just got done look at the pics , had to go smoke a cigaraette after that , man those are nice

now i have to decide on what i like best out of the fox cars ...85.5 SVO or the drop top mclaren capri or the bubble back mclaren capri

Sandy
07-31-04, 02:31 PM
The bubbleback ascMcLaren Capri (1984-1986) has the best seating posistion and the most "raw" horsepower, definately the fastest, but impossoble to find a mint one, or one that has not been modified to the point that it cannot run any longer and is a pile of___. The 'Verts have fared much better. Not as fast, but definately of the 3.... THE LOOKER! The SVOs are the slowest of the bunch and IMHO overpriced for a really decent example. http://www.autotrader.com has a 1989 black on black ascMc 'Vert with Scarlet interior & original owner & 5,000 miles on it now for like $21,000. Show car. There are other, more worn for the $12,000 price range. Beware, however.... McLaren exclusive parts come at a super premium. Taillight covers are like $400 for both sides. Wheels are $150 each, and new old stock seat covers are $700.00 per side!!! It adds up REAL quickly !
My 3 are strictly "for show" and are covered with classic car insurance. This year I have not even taken them to a show. Big great show I go to is the 3rd week September. Nice cooler weather. (Of course, last year it poured)
I left the Mark 8 board due to too much in family fighting and such. The fun factor flew away.
Look here:
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/8/71395568.htm
It's in Georgia, but worth the trip 4-sure!!! Only mine are THIS nice!!!!

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-04, 02:36 PM
good points , ive really wanted a convertible of some sort for since i drove a saab vert 8 months ago . been looking at 95-96 Vette verts with 6 speeds ...but that capri would be a really unusual car to take to shows

Sandy
07-31-04, 02:40 PM
Go back... I added the link. Not easy for me to do on this 1999 computer :D :D

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-04, 03:52 PM
man those are sweet , too bad there automatics

you say the bubbleback had more power ? they did engine mods to these cars ?I thought everything was just in the handleing and looks dept.?

Sandy
07-31-04, 04:10 PM
Buy that black 1989 'Vert. It's equal to mine and the nicest left in the country! I have 7,327 on my silver anniversary (1 of 11 made) and 2,033 on my AzurA Blue one, and 646 miles on my Coupe. That black '89 has 5,012. Finest 4-sale in the USA. The most fun you can have, with your pants on! :)

The coupes had some engine mods, BUT they were done on the "Hush-Hush" - - not by ascMcLaren, but in-house by Ford Motor Company. To have decalired it would have made alot of Fed. Reg stuff illeagle. Wanna know? e-mail me
cigarsandy@comcast.net

Stoneage, LOOK at this "face" and tell it "" NO I DON'T WANT YOU "" !!!
http://images.traderonline.com/img/10/dealer/825749/71395568_1.jpg

brougham
07-31-04, 04:35 PM
We have a lot of car books. I'm not too much into magazines but we have ones like the CAA and Consumer Report yearly car ones with all the new cars in them. I have brochures for most of the newer Chryslers and some for Fords and I have some Cadillac ones too but none for the newer years. They're interesting to look at sometimes and to see what they say about different models or what different options you could get.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-04, 05:05 PM
sandy your killing me , ill have to wait on that lady for another day but man shes pretty , in that classy jane seymor kinda way

those were chop topped too werent they ?

email sent BTW