: where to get my head gasket repaired?

MrFreddyFenkell
08-25-09, 12:40 PM
I would like to know some recommended places to get the HG repaired on my 1997 Deville. I live in Detroit Michigan so local would be great but if there is no place local I just want to know the best place. Can you also let me know about how much would it cost. Iím not sure if the HG is gone yet I have been trying to find out whatís going on but the car was overheating when I got it.

DevilleDeeman
08-25-09, 01:05 PM
Try these guys, they're in Ontario but I believe they have a shop in Michigan as well. Heard really good things about them, price is reasonable too.
http://www.northstarperformance.com/hg.php

00 Deville
08-25-09, 01:55 PM
Try these guys, they're in Ontario but I believe they have a shop in Michigan as well. Heard really good things about them, price is reasonable too.
http://www.northstarperformance.com/hg.php

The best repair for your N* would be to stud it using Jake's studs (aka 97EldoCoupe on this board) Your only 2 1/2 hours from the guy that came up with the stud solution for the N* why take it anywhere else.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/175567-first-head-gasket-failure-1-out.html

00 Deville
08-25-09, 02:04 PM
Iím not sure if the HG is gone yet I have been trying to find out whatís going on but the car was overheating when I got it.

Unfortunately 97-99 were the worst years for Head Gaskets. The definitive test for exhaust gases leaking into your cooling system (via the Head Gasket) is to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant overflow bottle. I would do this before I spent a dime trying anything else.

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/head_gasket_or_combustion_leak_test.htm

DevilleDeeman
08-25-09, 02:14 PM
The best repair for your N* would be to stud it using Jake's studs (aka 97EldoCoupe on this board) Your only 2 1/2 hours from the guy that came up with the stud solution for the N* why take it anywhere else.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/175567-first-head-gasket-failure-1-out.html

That's the same guy! Jake works for Northstar Performance.:thepan:

Submariner409
08-25-09, 02:26 PM
Jake is Northstar Performance.

DevilleDeeman
08-25-09, 02:32 PM
Very True Sub!

MrFreddyFenkell
08-25-09, 06:09 PM
thanks guys i talked to a young lady at Jake's shop todoay and i think i will be sending my car there. now my only prolbem is finding out how i'm going to get a non-running car pass border patrol.lol lol

97EldoCoupe
08-25-09, 09:16 PM
That young lady is my new secretary - man I needed her here months ago! Charity is her name, she's picking up on the business fast. She's the newly wed wife of John, my shop helper.

I don't think a non-running car will be too much of an issue. I do pick the cars up from Windsor but I won't take them across the border right now. If you can get the car across the border, I charge the gas and a very little bit for my driver's time to pick the car up.

Can you get it running at all so you can at least drive it across into Windsor? What's preventing it from starting? If it isn't getting too much coolant in the cylinders or in the oil it'll be safe to start up and run until the engine gets to just a hair past 5/8 temp on the guage. Keep plenty of coolant in the resevoir and try to make sure it doesn't run too low.

00 Deville
08-26-09, 09:51 AM
That's the same guy! Jake works for Northstar Performance.:thepan:

... I believe they have a shop in Michigan as well.

I don't know which one's the funniest...

-That you think I didn't know that Jake, 97EldoCoupe, and N*performance are all synonyms.

-That Jake "works for" Northstar Performance.

-That Jake has a shop in Michigan that he doesn't know about.
:histeric::histeric::histeric:

DevilleDeeman
08-26-09, 03:22 PM
There's no need to be a smart-aleck, I thought he had a shop in Michigan I was wrong. Whether he works for or owns Northstar performance is irrelevant, as long as the person in need is pointed to the right place. Help is what were here for.
:tisk:

BIG ERN
08-26-09, 03:49 PM
play nice!!!!

97EldoCoupe
08-26-09, 04:47 PM
I'm the owner slash employee so technically I do work for the company - your're right. I work more in the shop than I am in the office. No shop in Michigan as of yet.

mikelawson
08-27-09, 10:49 AM
Don't forget about the rest of us hard working Northstar repair techs. I'm in KY, but have picked up cars as far as GA, so if it doesn't work out with Jake call me @ 502-638-2592.

Mike.

brendanw
09-02-09, 12:21 PM
Anyone in the NY / CT / MA / RI area qualified to install Jake's stud kit? I'm in the southeast corner of CT and the car is very driveable.

jeffrsmith
09-02-09, 05:06 PM
Brendanw - I think ChubbyRanger had his HGs done by a shop either in or near Providence.

Ranger
09-02-09, 06:12 PM
Someone recently posted the name of a place in Boston and was quite happy with the service.

ponyboyt
09-03-09, 02:13 PM
who the heck is the uy i talked to near London, Ontario up here in Canada??

:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers:

I drove my car the 14 km's from my house to my "borrowed" shop. Coolant was gone less than 3 km's out. I stopped at a furniture place and put 8 litres of water in, and that was gone in about 3 km's. I drove it down the 403 (95km/h) about 6 km's then through town to the shop another 3k or so, dry, in limp mode, at 125-132 degrees celcius.

Course i wouldnt recomend that.... if you plan on repairing your engine. It still turned over like nothig was wrong, wasnt making any odd noises, but smelt kinda funny.....

Submariner409
09-03-09, 02:56 PM
Jake, at www.northstarperformance.com Banner ad at the top of the main page. Studs and Northstars. CF member: 97EldoCoupe