: Water Pump Issue

thewireman*
08-21-09, 10:08 PM
Hey guys,

I just like to know if I need to change my water pump or not. I have a bad leak around the pump area but the pump it self spins fine and the belt is just fine, now I would like to know if I still can use the same pump and replace the old gasket with new? Or I still have to get a new pump? Help me out caddy guys. :worship:

By the way, I have a 1999 Deville, over 140,000 miles with Jakes studs.

Ranger
08-21-09, 10:57 PM
It all depends on where the leak is. If it is the front cover gasket, that is all that needs to be replaced. If it is the rear O ring, likewise. If it is the shaft seal, then the pump needs to be replaced. Usually a leak is from the shaft seal.

thewireman*
08-22-09, 10:24 AM
Great! Thanks, I'll check into it right now...

Rodney_98
08-22-09, 03:48 PM
I would also consider the cost of a new pump and the time invested in replacing the gasket if that's all that is needed.
If the pump is relatively inexpensive and you don't know the history of the old pump I replace it. IMO

thewireman*
08-23-09, 01:38 AM
How many bolts does it have? Something is holding it! Hmmm...

Submariner409
08-23-09, 10:36 AM
After removing the water pump cover, the entire water pump capsule comes out using a special socket with tangs to rotate the pump clockwise about a quarter turn and out comes the whole thing; pulley, shaft, and impeller together. Either buy the socket at NAPA (a cheap one will bend and warp) or rent it from something like Auto Zone. You will need a helper to forcibly press the socket against the pump assembly or it will slip. The pump goes back in counterclockwise and make sure you lubricate the seal ring and lock the pump in the correct position.

A look at the new pump capsule will explain everything..............

thewireman*
08-23-09, 11:03 AM
So, I don't have to take the water Crossover thing off?

jeffrsmith
08-23-09, 11:19 AM
No, unless you have a leak from one of the gasketed areas of the crossover itself.

Water pump replacement - not so difficult. Crossover R&R - a real PITA!

N*Caddy
08-23-09, 11:20 AM
So, I don't have to take the water Crossover thing off?
No, no, just the water pump cover...

thewireman*
08-23-09, 12:13 PM
Oh man, I should've waited for the answers from you guys because I was trying to take the crossover off! But I tighten the bolts back in and I'm glad I didn't take it off. I got the pump its self off already and the O-ring is gone. Looks like I found my problem. Now last question (I hope) how many gallons of anti-freeze does it take? Thanks!

Ranger
08-23-09, 02:07 PM
One gallon of Dex and one gallon of distilled water mixed 50/50 will be more than enough.

thewireman*
08-23-09, 02:12 PM
Got the new gaskets in and put everything back in but when I start the car, it revs SO high.....why?

Ranger
08-23-09, 02:21 PM
Make sure everything you unplugged is plugged back in. IAT sensor? MAF sensor? TPS?

thewireman*
08-23-09, 02:33 PM
The sensor on the back head, on the drivers side, is that a knock sensor or something? Looks like I "cracked" the plug....

thewireman*
08-23-09, 03:51 PM
I reset the computer or cleared the codes and it runs a lot less but struggles to idle. Now what happened? :bighead:

Ranger
08-23-09, 05:04 PM
I think the sensor you are talking about may be the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor.

thewireman*
08-23-09, 06:52 PM
I ordered a gasket for the throttle body, since I took it off...maybe the engine is acting funny because the throttle body is not really tight. Is that why it runs funny? It just like to be air tight for the MASS air sensor?

Ranger
08-23-09, 10:05 PM
Yeah, it DOES need to be air tight, but a little Brakleen around the TB base will tell you if you need a gasket or not.

thewireman*
08-23-09, 10:47 PM
Okay thanks a lot Ranger! and others of course!