: Maxing the G Meter at Pocono Raceway

sefa01
07-26-04, 02:31 PM
Just did the Pocono North road course on Sunday with Performance Drivers Association. What a blast. Doing it for the first time, you run with an instructor for 3 runs and then you do one yourself. Each run is about 25 minutes). But even with an instructor, they let you be "all you can be." Straightaway wasn't long enough to go more than 115. Almost maxed out the G-meters (for good or bad) with the left at 1.17 and the right at 1.08. I was amazed at how well the V held up--oil temperature never went above 240 or so, tires not too hot--and pressure never went above 40. Car is stock (for now) except for the More CAI. Diagrams of all the courses PDA runs at Pocono (and other tracks) is on their web site--www.pdadrivingschool.com. They're running the Long Course on Aug. 7 and 8 with a straightaway that's about twice as long as the North Course.

I thought PDA was very organized and ran the event extremely well. Well worth the $200. I'll be going back in August (probably on the 8th). By then I'll have the FG2 shocks, and the BMR set--wheelhop kit, toe rods, and trailing arms--on the car and, if Corsa ever gets its act together, the exhaust.

E-mail me at sefa@aol.com if anybody wants more information or is thinking of going in August. FYI, PDA also has events at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, and Summit Pl., West Virginia.

Dreamin
07-26-04, 06:47 PM
COOL... using the car for what it was designed for :thumbsup:

What do the tires look like after the event?

StealthV
07-26-04, 07:11 PM
Sounds like a great time! Since our brake pads are so soft, I wonder what the life expectancy is going to be. :hmm:

Best I've managed so far is 0.99 g's with the wife hanging on for dear mercy. :lildevil:

Don't mean to thread hijack but I'm thinking about attending a SCCA "car-control" seminar at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in a few months and looking for recommendations on a entry-level, full-face helmet.

cts-vette
07-26-04, 09:21 PM
Sefa - I was planning to do the 7th at Englishtown, raceway park (corvette show & go) judging from your note I think I might reconsider, or join up with you on the 8th. I will send you an email

Stealth - just bought this one,http://www.thebellstore.com/Auto/racer.html
Sport III, Solid Black - waiting for it to come this week, i'll let you know how i like it. Planning to use it at the Eveloution performance driving school this weekend.

Cal
07-27-04, 02:24 PM
Nice, I did the East Course when I went there with PDA. Glad you had fun.

My g-meter is in the 1.06-1.09 range I believe since it was reset after I got FG2 put on.

Once Englishtown has their road course done I will be there a lot more often, Pocono is a bit of a haul from down here on the coastline.

tip: DO NOT USE THAT $20 CLEAR PLASTIC ROCK/CHIP FILM THEY HAVE, if you like I will take pictures of the spots where it burned through my clearcoat and I'd essentially have to get a new paintjob to fix. I feel like smacking the teeth out of the guy who runs PDA for telling us all 'it peels right off, it won't hurt the paint on your car.'

Ah well, my fault for being a newbie, I'm sure I can still sell the car with the weird buff-mark things in a few spots on the front.

sefa01
07-27-04, 02:57 PM
Cal:

Sorry to hear about the Saran wrap. I didn't buy it, although I was thinking of it. Glad I didn't.

I keep checking the Web site at Englishtown to see when they're going to open the road course. Supposedly it is done, but they haven't gotten all th permits yet (environmental issues I'm told).

Englishtown is closer for me, too, although at 5 a.m. on a Sunday morning on Rte. 80 it went pretty quick to get to Pocono.

Dreamin
07-27-04, 03:21 PM
StealthV: Get an "SA2000" rated helmet, not an "M2000"... even if the club allows M helmets... they will switch to SA eventually and they are safer. And go to some race shops and try them on! Get one that fits well and feels good... it'll be obvious once you've tried a number of them on. Try to get one that's not to heavy (though weight is inversely related to price). An interior liner that 'wicks' sweat away from your face is a good idea (i.e. G-Force calls this cooltec). The option to take the plastic face sheild off is also a good idea, i took mine off, no need one inside a car. And take the V with you, and sit in the car with the helmet on too!

http://www.soloracer.com/sa2000helmets.html

StealthV
07-27-04, 08:13 PM
Affirmative on the SA2000, I've got two M's in the closet right now so a third one would just be silly. :)

For price, that's where I'm torn. For how often I'd actually hit the track, one wants to go for the lowest price. Then again, if you have a $150 head, buy a $150 helmet. Just like most things in life, definitely get what you pay for in a helmet and I think my head is worth more than a few hundred bucks.

***Now taking donations for the "Buy StealthV a top quality helmet so his noggin is safe fund"***
(It's a charity write off for you, really!)

Cal
07-28-04, 12:58 PM
http://simpsonracing.com/

Get the shoes too, they are worth it. That neck brace thing is smart if you don't mind being totally uncomfortable while driving.

I think I dropped $700 there before I even realized it.