: Friends ever insult your car?

Cadillac Giovanni
08-21-09, 03:37 AM
I get it from them sometimes. It really burns me up! Few things irritate me more than my car being called inadequate in some shape or form. All my friends drive newer cars that probably won't even be road-worthy in 6 years, and none of them have respect for the fact that my car has survived 20 years and 190,000 miles as a daily driver.

What makes it worse is that none of my friends are mechanically inclined in the LEAST bit, so when my car's belts squeak when it is cold, or it stalls out before the engine warms up, they think it's ready for the junk-heap. They hear stories about how I had to replace tie-rod ends, or how I had to get a new rear-axle from a junkyard, and they start questioning how safe my car is.

My car's windows are a little sluggish to roll up, and it immediately draws insults. Just today, my friend told me, "God, you HAVE to fix these windows."

I didn't say anything. I just punched him.

Short story: My friends are dicks with no respect for the classics.

Angry Matt
08-21-09, 06:53 AM
I have a guy that I work with that purposely points out lincolns or similar cars and asks me if I saw that "cadillac". He always tells me they look just like mine. It used to get to me, but I don't let it anymore. It's actually kind of entertaining now.

Stingroo
08-21-09, 07:11 AM
Yeah, it's annoying. I had a friend at my house a couple of weeks ago, and I was outside polishing the leather in the Fleetwood, because I was bored, and I like keeping busy to stay entertained when he came over. He asked if it was my car, because he'd never seen it. I said yes and immediately he's like "You should trade that thing in for cash for clunkers and get a cooler car, like a Civic."

No way. F that. I don't understand what it is with people. Like really, I think I died a little inside that day. lol

cadillac_al
08-21-09, 07:36 AM
I don't know how people can stand driving regular cars. Cadillac is the only way to ride in comfort and style. I sat in a Honda Accord once that was supposed to have leather seats and they sure felt like vinyl to me. It sure wasn't like Cadillac leather. And why do people want to feel every crack in the road? I don't like "road feel".

Stingroo
08-21-09, 08:25 AM
Road feel sucks. I mean unless you have something like an M3 GTR (-drool-) But really. We're not racing. Why bother with that? Relax, cruise where you want, but if you need to you can show some muscle. Gotta love a Cadillac.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
08-21-09, 08:51 AM
Yes, I hear about it constantly from my friends. They all drive third gen F-bodies and all they do is gripe on me about how big and slow my car is. Then it comes time to take a trip somewhere and they shut up real fast about how big it is.

I am so used to the quietness and ride in both my cars that whenever I ride in someone elses it makes me glad that I own luxury cars. I have yet to find another car that has steering as light as my Brougham's and I have yet to find a car that rides as well or is as quiet at highway speeds as my old '95 DeVille. May that car RIP.

Cadillac Giovanni
08-21-09, 08:57 AM
None of my friends know anything about cars. It's really lame. To them, cars are just transportation, point A to point B.

I get that crap all the time, where they see another somewhat old looking black car and think "Hey it's the Cadillac." I have one friend who insists he sees my car, or cars exactly like mine on a daily basis.

Of course, this kid also thinks his 2003 Subaru Forrester was a GOOD car.

Bro-Ham
08-21-09, 09:22 AM
A title for this thread may be more comforting as follows: WHY WE LOVE OUR CARS! :)

It shouldn't matter what others think, it's what we want. The best way to handle annoying people is to not rent space in your mind to them. If they are trying to get your attention by poking at you and your vehicle I say let the jabs roll off you like water off a duck's back. What you feel inside is what matters. You find your car to be a gem to your eye. Once you don't let the negative words of others bother you in their place a confidence and pride takes root. The coolness of being different and appreciating something that not many others either have the ability or the lower male testosterone producing nodules to even be able to try to undertake owning a car that is not only an adventure but a rolling masterpiece of American greatness! You're driving a mobile art work complete with exquisite interior furnishings styled after fine furniture and exterior styling that is far more stately and impressive than any car you can purchase today. Your tough chrome bumpers will crush nearly every car in an impact and most trucks will get a brusing too - - all of this can sometimes not even show even a slight blemish on your massive and monumental great all-American Cadillac. So, smile when the comments come. :) Know that you are driving exactly what you want and if you wanted something different you would have found a way to make it happen. Once you show that you're beamingly PROUD of your car your friends will fall into line. They know you're not affected by the criticism because your knowledge and love for your car exceeds anything they may be able to comprehend. Then they suddenly come around because they realize what you have and who you are.

In my own case I drive a yellow Cadillac. I'm male. I'm not over 75 years of age. I'm not environmentally correct in driving this gas guzzler every day. I frankly don't care! I take extreme pride in my car. It is carefully and lovingly cleaned and caressed. It runs right, the AC works, it turns heads! It is a driver so there is a door ding or three yet it's obvious the car gets lots of lovin'. It is a sight to see - - even here in car conscious Florida! My friends thought I was nuts when I started driving it every day after it had come out of two years of storage. My old yellow tub impressed a group of my friends a couple of weeks ago when we rolled up to the Ritz Carlton and the valet oogled over the car. The 2004 Mercedes CLK 320 convertible which had two friends in front and another shoe-horned in back was quickly whisked off by another valet as the conversation with my valet continued. Anyway, we came back later after cocktailing and to our surprise the majestic yellow 79 Sedan deVille was positioned in he first spot in the vanity valet parking area front and center outshadowing a Bentley Continental GT and Rolls-Royce Silver Seraph which were hardly visible on the other side! I wasn't thinking fast enough to get a picture!!! My friend with the Mercedes who had previously looked down his nose a little bit at my car suddenly came around and was on the bandwagon! :) Lately my friends find it beyond entertaining to both see my car and ride in it. My one friend no longer calls it "the jalopy" and her once feeling of superiority in her brand new Malibu LTZ has now been replaced with an appreciation for a friend who steps to the beat of a different drummer with this unusual car that grows on people like an appreciation of fine wine. Where else can you have an automotive experience that is a cross between a comfortable tiki lounge and an oversized rose bowl parade float! NO ONE drives one just like it unlike the ubiquitous 2007 Honda Civic I also own which I will gladly sell to you if you want it since it has hardly been driven in the last three months. In fact, I wish I could trade in the Honda to the government (it pains me to even say that word) to pick up a whole bunch of the too nice to crush cash for clunkers trade ins. I'd rather have a slew of Roadmasters and Crown Victorias than that Honda.

A great big Cadillac has never been merely an automobile. Our cars are a symbol of real individuality in an age of proliferating plastic and unimaginative automotive styling. I'm reminded of a passage from a poem I memorized when I was in high school by Keats: "A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its lovelieness increases, it will never pass into nothingness..."

Smile and get out there and drive your Cadillac! :) :) :) :)

Dave

longo
08-21-09, 10:43 AM
A guy at work comes in from his lunch break and asks me, "who owns that silver caddie out there". Expecting a complement, because of the great shape its in, I say its mine. He then tells me it would make a great demo car and he would give me 200 bucks for it. Felt like punching him in the face. Damn hillbillies.

robb257731
08-21-09, 11:35 AM
My sister can't stand the sight of my car...I could see it with my first Brougham, which was a little worse for wear, but my 'new' 91 is another story. I took it to her place, parked it behind her anonymous-lookin new Lexus. When she came out, the look of disgust on her face was priceless...'phhssshh...why would you want to drive something that old?'

Bro-Ham, you are absolutely right....don't even pay attention to them. I'm 35 years old...I've admired the big square Fleetwoods since I was 5 years old. I always thought they looked 'important' and better than other cars. Cadillac phased out my fave model car in 92 when it stopped making the square Brougham. I was just finished highschool, and I thought at the time "well, I guess I'll never get one now."

I've had many other cars, but the image of that Brougham always stayed in the back of my mind. Over the past couple of years I started checking them out on Ebay. They were all down in the states....very rare to find one in Ontario Canada. Finally last year I ran across one in my province...It looked great in the picture, charcoal grey, looked like a stately beast, and it was 2500.00. I bid on it thinking "I'll never get it" and lo and behold, I got it. Edward was a fantastic car for a year, but alas the body was bad and I couldn't afford to paint it. Then I found my current car. I have to admit, I don't get the same thrill when I look at it...maybe the colour, but I love driving it!

sven914
08-21-09, 01:08 PM
When I was in high school, I went to a career center for automotive repair. I would always bring my car in to wash it or put it on the rack to check something. The suspension was shot, so there was a lot of bounce in her. One day three of the fattest guys (all hovering around 300, literally) were sitting on a table and had their feet on the rear bumper. They kept jumping up onto the bumper pushing the rear end down and watching it jump back up, to the point where the car was inching it's way across the floor. Another time I was under the car, looking for a coolant leak, and one of the fat guys decided to sit on the front clip, effectively choking me with the air dam. There was another time when I accidentally left my keys in the ignition, and went to get a soda. When I got back, there was something banging around in my trunk; they locked a homosexual in my trunk! The worst of it was when I was changing out of studded snow tires, and was putting on the wire wheel hubcaps (back when I still used them). The white walls were a little dingy so I wiped them down with bleach white, and then started cleaning the hubcaps with a rag and some Windex. Next thing I know, all of the guys in the shop are calling me a ni**er, just for caring about my car's appearance.

Stingroo
08-21-09, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I think that's stupid personally sven. Everybody who owns a car cares about the appearance to some degree. There's just tasteful ways of doing things, and then the ways we see in the media. It's really quite sad.

Lazarus_Rooney
08-21-09, 04:41 PM
sven, what those jackasses were doing was flat out criminal. if that happened to me someone would have had tire iron antlers. the gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Ive been given some bad comments about my caddy. most of them were taken back after a short ride. i realize that my car is prone to mechanical problems but thats just part of owning an old car that im ok with. for the most part tho people around here seem to like my car. even if the most frequent comment i get is "you should get some rims for that" NO! :mad:

Stingroo
08-21-09, 04:45 PM
Yeah... a lot of my friends keep telling me I should buy some rims for my car or lower it.. No. For god's sake, no. It's meant to ride soft, smooth, and comfortably... Not be raised 10 inches, be prone to roll-overs, and avoid potholes.

We're supposed to laugh at potholes with our softness. Jeez.

Cadillacboy
08-21-09, 04:52 PM
Not an insult but I amfed up with the comments like why I like to drive my grandpa's car . However I love to see almost all the car geeks respect my FWB which makes me feel happy

caddeville89
08-21-09, 05:03 PM
Yah, I get the same thing. I think it has become non PC to drive a car that has any character or something. It really tires me out that even though I went and did the American dream thing of wanting something and working for it, then taking care of it, it is deemed wrong by society. I mean, where does it come from? Why would you look DOWN upon somebody who has a better car than you? Or even if it's not better, if it is the car you want? You mean to tell me that somehow, a freaking Accord is cooler to have than my car? Get a life!

Maybe it's just that I (and maybe I say we here) am guilty of not goose-stepping into the consumerist program whereby I am supposed to buy a new car every other year and throw the old one away. Oh well.

Stingroo
08-21-09, 05:03 PM
Amen to that. lol I'm one of those car geeks honestly. A friend of mine had a Roadmaster in HS, which is what really, REALLY turned me onto the FWB. But when my uncle first got this one, I always liked it. It's quiet and refined when it needs to be, but if you floor it, it's got enough muscle to get you places.

EDIT: I laugh at people who replace cars that often. They're SUPPOSED to last you for years and years. That's why they have maintenance schedules. People are like "Oh my god, 100,000 miles? That must be old!"

What a joke. There's that one FW that was here with 365k or something... and my mom had a Buick Park Ave. with 254k on the clock that ran like a baby forever. It amazes me to see how sad some people are with one-upsmanship. =\

MT-ED
08-21-09, 09:03 PM
I'll be 58 this December. I know I'm older than a lot of you guys here and maybe you're more subject to peer pressure than I am. Reason is most younger guys these days don't have the appreciation of quality and tradition that makes you drive your Cadillac. You're unfashionable in their eyes and because you travel a different road to their high-revving Jap-crap lifestyle you're probably viewed as a bit weird and rather geeky. You don't fit the (their) mold.

I say screw the mold.

I've been driving since the very early 70's. I am, what Barry Meguiar would term a Car-Crazy guy and because of that virtually every car I've owned has been out of the ordinary. Not too many people drive a Mint green 1951 hot-rodded Austin Devon pickup to work every day for instance :cool2:

So I've driven oddballs most of my life. I can honestly say that no vehicle I've EVER owned has generated the same interest as my 19991 Brougham I've owned since 2007. I've had more interesting conversations with all sorts of people than with anything I've ever driven. Many, many people love these cars. Many have fond memories of times spent with Fathers who owned one. I've seen middle-aged men go misty-eyed while relating stories of one in their past lives. I've had late-model Caddy owners tell me that they owned multiple older Caddys and their modern car is a piece of crap compared to these cars.

We drive history. We drive links to other people's past lives or passed on relatives. Our cars have gravitas because those cherished memories have gravitas in others experience of life.

And we drive opulence in design....something that is sadly lacking in modern car design.

Martin.

Angry Matt
08-21-09, 09:31 PM
I kind of like the fact that these cars are somewhat unpopular. If everyone liked them and wanted one, all of the good ones would be hogged up by people with more money than me. The junkyards wouldn't be as fruitful and when you see someone with another cadillac they usually have a story behind it or at least know what they've got. Not every yahoo has one like the import crowd, where nobody really know's sh++t. We always used to joke with this db at my old work about how his clear tail light added about 20hp. There's a lot more stuff you have to deal with when you're in the trend. And I'm very lucky to have the group of friends that I have. Mostly cadillac owners.

It always puzzles me that I drive a truck for work, maybe 8-10 hours a day (13 today) and I come home and look for an excuse to go for a ride in my brougham. You'd think I'd be tired of driving...

Stingroo
08-21-09, 10:04 PM
I'll be 58 this December. I know I'm older than a lot of you guys here and maybe you're more subject to peer pressure than I am. Reason is most younger guys these days don't have the appreciation of quality and tradition that makes you drive your Cadillac. You're unfashionable in their eyes and because you travel a different road to their high-revving Jap-crap lifestyle you're probably viewed as a bit weird and rather geeky. You don't fit the (their) mold.

I say screw the mold.

I've been driving since the very early 70's. I am, what Barry Meguiar would term a Car-Crazy guy and because of that virtually every car I've owned has been out of the ordinary. Not too many people drive a Mint green 1951 hot-rodded Austin Devon pickup to work every day for instance :cool2:

So I've driven oddballs most of my life. I can honestly say that no vehicle I've EVER owned has generated the same interest as my 19991 Brougham I've owned since 2007. I've had more interesting conversations with all sorts of people than with anything I've ever driven. Many, many people love these cars. Many have fond memories of times spent with Fathers who owned one. I've seen middle-aged men go misty-eyed while relating stories of one in their past lives. I've had late-model Caddy owners tell me that they owned multiple older Caddys and their modern car is a piece of crap compared to these cars.

We drive history. We drive links to other people's past lives or passed on relatives. Our cars have gravitas because those cherished memories have gravitas in others experience of life.

And we drive opulence in design....something that is sadly lacking in modern car design.

Martin.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. That's like, topic closing post worthy.

And for the record, I love the show Car Crazy. I hated my house because Speed channel was a digital station (like 732 or some crap) so I didn't get it in my room... but now it's in the 50s, so I get it in my dorm! WOOHOO!!

sven914
08-21-09, 10:51 PM
I fit that whole not fitting the mold thing. Someone once asked me who I was and I responded "I am the Omega; the human obsolete."

When I was looking for my first car, I had the choice of an S10 pickup, a Ford Ranger, a Buick skylark, a Cavalier, and a 96 Crown Vic. But I didn't care we were in the middle of an oil crises, I had to have the 20 year old, carburetted, land yacht.

Aron9000
08-22-09, 01:00 AM
People always comment that I look like some sort of drug dealer or pimp driving around in the Cadillac. I kind of see their point since the windows are dark.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
08-22-09, 01:20 AM
Its the same way with me. I have been pulled over several times and my car searched either by person or by dog. Apparently 19 year old kids aren't supposed to have giant, awesome Cadillacs.

sven914
08-22-09, 02:03 AM
^ Thats funny. The same thing keeps happening to my friend, DeArron, who drives a 90 Coupe deVille. He drives slower than the speed of smell, but has been pulled over five times and had is car searched once. I've blown past cop cars going 60 in a residential 45 many, many, times and have been pulled over once for 65 in a 35; I got a warning. You would think that in this day and age racism would be dead and buried, but the pigs prove time in a time out that it's still alive and kicking (and yes DeArron is Black).

77CDV
08-22-09, 02:07 AM
My classmates in high school used to call my 77 CDV "The Beige Bomber", but it was more an affectionate joke than a putdown, since I could have loaded many of their cars into my car's trunk and made off with them, and they knew it. My friends today don't put my cars down, which is why they're still my friends. For my part, I refrain from openly mocking their Prii and Camrys. Only my sister, bless her, rags on my cars. Her first words on seeing my 69 FWB were, "What did you buy that thing for?" For my mother's sake, I have not yet disowned her. lol

MT-ED
08-22-09, 07:04 AM
Sisters are supposed to rag on their brothers. It's their job :Poke:

Martin.

MT-ED
08-22-09, 07:29 AM
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. That's like, topic closing post worthy.

And for the record, I love the show Car Crazy. I hated my house because Speed channel was a digital station (like 732 or some crap) so I didn't get it in my room... but now it's in the 50s, so I get it in my dorm! WOOHOO!!

Thanks Stingroo. I posted that last night, just before hitting the sack. By way of illustration of my point about the Caddy's power to generate interest and reaction, here's a sample of the cars I've owned over the years while living in England. All were daily drivers, rain or snow.

1973 Australian Ford Falcon Panel van (one of only 3 in the whole country).
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/CarProjects1.jpg

Bedford panel van fitted with a Ford 1500 GT engine and 8" wide split-rim wheels....drove like a go-kart :)
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/CarProjects3.jpg

"Bad News"...my VW bug panel van conversion. Built like a street-rod.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/CarProjects8.jpg

"Bad Moon Rising" 1951 Austin "gasser". There's a V8 under the flip front.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/CarProjects12.jpg

And now......also a daily driver and the BEST conversation starter.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/BroShine_WhiteHouse_opt.jpg

I like Car-Crazy too because every time I watch it I get more of a buzz about cars than ever. I love the unbounded enthusiasm of the whole show.

'course....I have to wear a welding mask so's I can look at Barry Meguiar's teeth!:bulging:

Martin.

Stingroo
08-22-09, 07:36 AM
I absolutely LOVE that VW Bug. That's got to be the best looking Bug on the planet! :P

Do you have plans for the Cadillac?

And lol at the teeth comment. I thought I was the only person who noticed that... haha

MT-ED
08-22-09, 07:57 AM
I've always had plans for it. Originally, I was going to airbag it but I've decided that as it's my only car and I will drive it to work every day that by increasing the complexity of the suspension I will likely decrease the reliability in extreme conditions. I have misgivings about sub-zero conditions here in Toronto and any water in the system for instance.

Mildly lowering it is another option but I live in a place with a steep angled exit/entry ramp from the underground car park and I really have to check the front and back clearances before I go that route......obviously bagging it wouldn't be an issue there because I could just raise the ride height in a trice. Our roads here in Toronto are total tank-testing tracks.....no wonder so many people drive SUVs. I need soft, compliant suspension.

I bought some Mooneyes Starburst wheel covers as I like their look a lot.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/Parry_Sound_Aug_1st_2009088.jpg

However.......after a week and one 490 kilometer trip one cover rotated and slashed a tire valve......puncture :thehand:......so they're off the car now :cursin:

Right now I have a set of 15 x 7" Eagle 211 rims on order

http://www.americaneaglewheel.com/images/categories/211.jpg

:bling: I know they're going to make the car pop visually with the thin white-walls. It'll have that classic early 70's Lowrider look to it.

I might put a mild tint on the side windows. Still deciding.

Martin.

bmwnick
08-22-09, 08:40 AM
HELL YEAH!!!!..............and I LOVE IT!!!

1) my 12 year old son said to me " Dad,...please don't drive me to school in this "thing". My son plays guitar and sings in a local "school of rock" program. On the way back from rehearsal last week, his 11 year old friend got in my back seat and said to my son, "hey, this isn't SOOO bad....it';s like having a limo" my son replied, "yeah ....I'm starting to like it".

2) my ball breaker friends in the Hamptons are insisting that I bought my FWB from a PIMP!!! So to prove their point, they swiped my keys during a beach party and planted a dozen AFRO PICKS and FEATHERS all over my interior. In the visors, the glove box, the console...all over. 4 of us jumped in the car to go out for ice and we all had a good laugh!!

ANYBODY can sign a lease on a new BMW or Benz but it takes STYLE to cruise to the Hamptons in a 15 year old Cadillac!!!

Stingroo
08-22-09, 08:47 AM
Oh my god. Afro picks and feathers... That's a classic.

I'm like the total opposite of your son. lol My dad drove an '84 Cutlass Supreme when I was in elementary and middle school. We stuffed a 403 out of a Trans Am under the hood and the car was ridiculously fast. Mom wrecked it once, so it had some blue parts (the original color), and then the hood, front clip, right door, trunk, and rear bumper were brown off of a donor car. We never got around to saving enough to paint it properly. I remember waiting in the pick up area at elementary school once, and my dad was running late, so the principal stayed outside with me to wait because the school was in a pretty bad neighborhood.

He asks me "Do you know what kind of car your dad drives? Or what color it is?" and my response was "You won't need to worry about seeing the car, you'll HEAR it first."

Cars with character are awesome.

And Martin, I love those wheels. Nice buy. Be sure to post some pics of the car when you get them. Shame about those wheel covers too, those were pretty cool. And I don't know about you, but I want to do limo tint on mine.. and some light tint on the windshield, since in FL you can get a prescription for it from an optometrist. It's going to be pretty sweet.

Cadillac Giovanni
08-22-09, 02:25 PM
Ahah, I swear, every time I get pulled over by a cop, I get asked "Who's car is this?" I should just start saying "I busted gramps in the knee with an iron pipe and boosted his ride."

It's true. I often get asked "what year" my car is by people who were previous owners, and can't help but regail me with stories of their cars. They almost always end by telling me to "Never get rid of it". I'm not planning on it.

Bro-Ham
08-22-09, 03:28 PM
One thing is for sure, drive to the hood and you and your car will both be celebrities! My office is close to Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd and usually a couple times a month I have a brutha tracking me down to ask if I will sell the yellow Cad. I always tell them to make me an offer I can't refuse and that sets them back for a second when they probably realize they don't have any money to make an offer with or that I am not a bank and won't take payments. If you and your car need an ego boost head to the hood and you'll feel like a king! :)

MT-ED
08-22-09, 04:55 PM
And Martin, I love those wheels. Nice buy. Be sure to post some pics of the car when you get them. Shame about those wheel covers too, those were pretty cool. And I don't know about you, but I want to do limo tint on mine.. and some light tint on the windshield, since in FL you can get a prescription for it from an optometrist. It's going to be pretty sweet.

Right now, I'm running around without the original wire trims on. Makes the car look really crappy. It's surprising how that splash of shininess in the wheel-wells lifts the whole appearance of the car. The new wheels are REALLY shiny and the spokes will catch the sun as they turn. No fear on the photos......I have at least one background already scoped out at the local firework shop. They have this lovely mid-blue painted brick wall...........

I'm not thinking going limo-tint dark. I'm going to wait I think, till the wheels are mounted, then re-assess.

Martin.

Angry Matt
08-22-09, 06:33 PM
If you and your car need an ego boost head to the hood and you'll feel like a king!

You can say that again. I haven't driven to Philadelphia in one of my Cadillacs in a while, but the many, many times I did, I always felt like "the man" coming home. I've even gotten cash waved in my face for my '84 coupe. It's great. I won't drive a nice car down there anymore though, there's a reason everyone in the city has at least one dent in their car.

DopeStar 156
08-23-09, 02:07 AM
Ya know how you get people like that back? Let the cushy ride lull them to sleep, then slam on the brakes at a slow down. When their face makes contact with that glovebox door, they'll have "callidaC" imprinted on their forehead for a while....

:lildevil:

Stingroo
08-23-09, 10:14 AM
LMAO! That's PRICELESS!

Have you actually done that? XD

CaddyshackCadillac
08-23-09, 10:29 AM
to this day im called uncle pauly by friends
and my girlfriend says why do you wanna drive that car grampy until she took her shoes off and felt the cushy carpet and stetched out on the seat like a queen then it was a whole different story.However i grew up with these cars my whole family has been adoring cadillacs and some lincolns for years

cadillac_al
08-23-09, 10:39 AM
You guys that get pulled over all the time in areas that use gestapo tactics should study up on your rights. In the USA the police can't just stop anyone they want with no reason. They prey on idiots that didn't pay attention in civics class. Education is your most valuable defense. Everybody should know the basic knowledge that is in public service videos like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-23-09, 11:38 AM
If you and your car need an ego boost head to the hood and you'll feel like a king! :)

That's for sure. I remember a few months ago a friend and I were in downtown St. Paul, near West 7th Street and I got lost and drove through the hood in my S Class and everyone I passed stared as I drove by, I even had a few run after the car. I sped up because I wasn't sure if I was gonna get complimented....or carjacked. :lol:

But yeah, most of my friends had opinions on my Cadillac, but after I sold it, that's the one they say they liked most, even more than the S Class. They liked it's classic stately American look, soft ride and super soft velour seats.

sven914
08-23-09, 04:09 PM
Usually the only place I ever see other RWD Cadillacs is in the inner city areas. It's funny when you come to an intersection and all four roads have an old Cadillac leading the traffic. A few months ago I got caught behind a Cadillac convoy; three '80's Cadillacs slowly creeping down the avenue; a miniature pimp parade. The lead was a beat up green Coupe deVille (RWD), a maroon '90's Brougham on rims, a near perfect black Fleetwood Brougham, and then my '89 Brougham.

Usually when I see another RWD owner there is a mutual look of respect, and something that I can only describe as the "Cadillac nod" (a sign of acknowledgment I suppose). I always check their car out in my mirrors and allot of times I see them do the same thing to mine. I don't share that bond with other Cadillac owners; people with FWD's or in Cadillac Denali/Avalanches usually look at my car like they do the homeless guy who sleeps at the gas station.

77CDV
08-23-09, 10:51 PM
people with FWD's or in Cadillac Denali/Avalanches usually look at my car like they do the homeless guy who sleeps at the gas station.

That's because they don't know what a real Cadillac is. Pity them.:helpless:

pompste
08-23-09, 11:07 PM
Honestly,since i bought my aunt`s "immaculate" 1995 Sedan Deville 3 years ago,just 1 insult---from my 12 year old niece`s 11 year old girlfriend.I took them both in my ride to our public museum.She said "this looks like an old lady`s car".My niece immediately said "no it does`nt---look how big this car is and all the room in here!"
I liked my niece`s response better.Most kid`s her age are being toted around in much smaller rides these days.She noticed the larger body size and interior room right away.

theGman
08-24-09, 02:01 AM
I have a 95 and a 96. I am an old guy, over 60, but I play part time in a blues band. I usually haul my gear in the back seat, and when I pull up ALL the young guys love the car. I guess, since they're into the Blues, the cars fit the retro image somewhat.

bmwnick
08-24-09, 02:29 PM
I have a 95 and a 96. I am an old guy, over 60, but I play part time in a blues band. I usually haul my gear in the back seat, and when I pull up ALL the young guys love the car. I guess, since they're into the Blues, the cars fit the retro image somewhat.

A FWB has got to be the PERFECT musician's ride.

My son has 2 HUGE guitar cases, one for a OLP double neck and the other for a Dimebag Dean guitar. My wife can't even fit either of those cases in her trunk but I can put both cases in my trunk AND a 4x12 Marshall and head with room to spare. I haven't tried it yet but I'll bet that I could fit a whole 5 piece drum kit in the trunk if I tried.

Stingroo
08-24-09, 03:47 PM
You could fit your WIFE in your trunk it's so damn huge. LOL

Seriously though, the trunk on these cars is so big it's surprising. It's like, one of the only cars you can fit a decent sound system in, and not have to worry about cargo space.

Angry Matt
08-24-09, 09:54 PM
I felt like putting my wife in the trunk today. We were talking about going to the shore next weekend and I said I'm driving the brougham. She asked "is this thing going to make it down and back?" I don't know how many times she has asked me if "this car is going to make it" somewhere. Other than me running the car out of gas (several times), I've never been stranded by an older Cadillac that was properly tuned and neither has she.

Stingroo
08-24-09, 10:06 PM
My mom used to do that with dad's Cutlass. Always asking if this or that was going to happen. The only time it ever left us stranded was when a belt snapped.

Old cars are perfectly fine if maintained well enough. Women.. can't live with 'em.. aw hell you know the rest. ;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-24-09, 10:48 PM

Now that I think about it, a (classic) Cadillac is the musician's ride of choice...rappers, rockers, country bumpkins, etc etc. They've all sang songs about Cadillacs!

arnauts
08-24-09, 10:56 PM
My car's windows are a little sluggish to roll up, and it immediately draws insults. Just today, my friend told me, "God, you HAVE to fix these windows."

I didn't say anything. I just punched him.

Short story: My friends are dicks with no respect for the classics.

Get new friends.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
08-24-09, 11:09 PM
I felt like putting my wife in the trunk today. We were talking about going to the shore next weekend and I said I'm driving the brougham. She asked "is this thing going to make it down and back?" I don't know how many times she has asked me if "this car is going to make it" somewhere. Other than me running the car out of gas (several times), I've never been stranded by an older Cadillac that was properly tuned and neither has she.

My friends do the same thing. Every time they mention it I remind them that I drove it to Kansas City and it went 2000 miles with no problem.

sven914
08-24-09, 11:55 PM
There have been times when the Cadillac has been the only car capable of leaving my driveway. Last winter we had a bad snow and ice storm. The driveway has a slight incline to it, so my neighbor, who shares it with me and has a 4X4 SUV couldn't get out of the drive way (he could only get about half way up it before his tires began to spin). I had to be somewhere and tired to get out using my 06 Impala (didn't want the salt on the Cadillac) and I could just about move it out of the spot and out from behind the Cadillac before it got stuck (almost blew the transmission trying to move it for a half an hour). Finally I got tired of it and started the Brougham. The Brougham made it out of the driveway, going up hill backwards, like it was on dry pavement.

So far the Impala has left me struggling to drive with no power steering on two separate occasions and the alignment is always off (keeps eating tires). The only problems I've had with the Brougham are that the brake line blew out while I was driving and the gas pedal keeps falling off (doesn't leave me stranded but is annoying to go to hit the gas pedal and not have one).

Angry Matt
08-25-09, 09:48 PM
I had a situation at an old job where the parking lot was at the bottom of a hill. We had a real bad snow storm and by the end of the day none of the "real men" with their pick ups could get out of the parking lot. But guess who could, "Cadillac Matt" they dubbed me (1970 Brougham). They sent me out for salt. It took 2hrs. to get a mile down the road in the traffic and I had no heat. I left them there. Actually called and quit that day, for other reasons.

annoying to go to hit the gas pedal and not have one

At least it's not the brake pedal that falls off!

monster
08-28-09, 04:48 AM
Is the vinyl roof cracked? YES
Is the paint bad? YES
Back fillers missing? YES
Paint damage on the leather? YES
Ever get negativity towards my car? NO!
The only real person that kinda looked at me and made comments was my mom (even tho my first car was an old pretty much similar condition Eldorado that she loved), well up until she heard the 5.7L turn on and she was like wow what a motor on that thing!
I get a lot of stares but usually not with a smug or snobbish look, mostly smiles or nods. And quite a few females smiling as I drive by but hopefully their smiling and not laughing, ha! Cant wait until I start dating again and pick up my date in the ol Caddy with no A/C!
I get a few "what you going to do with that car?" questions and offers from people my age and younger. The only real insult I had from a friend was my coworker saying, "what, you got hungry and took a bite out of your car" when he saw the messed up back filler, but that was more an insult towards me since im a big heavy dude. :want:
I want to get a newer Mercedes or a newer Caddy(pre CTS styling) since my 00 Chrysler is having quite a few issues, but ill still keep my baby for cruising on the weekends, regardless of how good or bad she looks.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6545/img514.jpg

bwguffey
08-30-09, 09:47 PM
I've got a beat-to-hell '93 SDV granny-wagon for my daily driver. Headliner sags, there's not a body panel that hasn't been jacked and there's bluejean patches covering cuts in the leather. Got a plastic snake in the rear window and a hula girl on the dash just to make for a true-to-form hooptie. But... That plastic front-end, fuel-injected aluminum 4.9L and no backseat can embarrass a Honda any day of the week.

...well up until she heard the 5.7L turn on and she was like wow what a motor on that thing!...

Funny you mention that - I got some slack from my GF over my big '75 SDV when I picked it up (8.2L Fuel Injected). We went for a ride and at a light, the motor idled down super low. She started looking around and just serious as hell asked me...

"Where's the train?"

Stingroo
08-30-09, 10:04 PM
LOL Where's the train... That's a good one. Gotta love the 500. No matter what you pay to drive it. :P

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
08-31-09, 01:50 AM
Funny you mention that - I got some slack from my GF over my big '75 SDV when I picked it up (8.2L Fuel Injected). We went for a ride and at a light, the motor idled down super low. She started looking around and just serious as hell asked me...

"Where's the train?"

Haha, that just made my night.

Cadillac Giovanni
08-31-09, 02:03 AM
I get the train remark from my car's horn. The Cadillac trumpet horns are normal to me, but modern car horns have regressed into sort of a whiny "beep" instead of the mighty "honk" of yesteryear.

My mom's 95 Deville actually has a pretty awesome horn. Sounds like it has at least 3 tones to it, very distinct. 93-96 Fleetwoods probably have the same horn, no?

Stingroo
08-31-09, 07:46 AM
I'm pretty sure (like 99%) that the 93-96 Fleetwoods have four note horns. D F C A I think (though not in that particular order, I can't recall). I'm sitting in English class right now basically doing nothing. Maybe I'll look into it. LOL

EDIT: Searching on this forum found me the answer. A and C are on the left, and D and F are on the right. I didn't really see any mention of a 3 note horn, so your mom's probably has the four, but one might be dead.

csbuckn
08-31-09, 09:24 AM
Off topic but real quick...
Sting, you on a phone or a laptop? I'm looking for a phone thats easy to use on the internet for someone with big thumbs.

Stingroo
08-31-09, 09:29 AM
Laptop. I hate cell phones with bloody passion.

However, for a phone, try an LG Rumor2. My friend has one and it's probably the only phone I can stand to text with. lol

[back on topic] I was talking to my friend from home just a few minutes ago, telling him how excited I was to be able to bring my car up with me to school in the coming weeks, and he was like "You should have traded that thing in for cash for clunkers and got a Kia Soul."

I wanted to e-punch him. Granted, the Kia Soul has a few interesting little features, but they're nothing I can't work into my own car for a fraction of the price (specifically, the speakers that pulse with your music, and iPod connectivity I think is what he was mentioning). Besides, I don't NEED those things in a car, even if the Soul would be cheaper to own, I'd get wrecked with payments.

People these days. lol

Rapscallion
08-31-09, 10:56 AM
Last friday my 97 Deville was rear ended by a newer kia something or other.... The back bumper was covered with the white paint from the other car. The paint from her car simply rubbed off, and with a bit of epoxy, I fixed a couple small cracks in the lower rear fascia connections. The kia will need a new bumper, grille, hood and who knows what else.

I buffed the rear bumper and I have a hard time telling where she hit me, and I know where every little ding and scratch is on that car!

Cash for clunkers? I'm sure I could have got 4500 for my car and bought that new kia, but who turned out to be better off in the end?

I have a 2.8 mile commute to work, so how much gas would I be saving if I bought a brand new fuel efficient death trap?

last friday cured me of any misgivings about owning an older Cadillac. 2 grand for a headgasket job suddenly doesn't seem as big a deal as I once thought. My HGs are fine, but I was thinking I would get rid of the car if faced with such a dilemma. I think I would fix it now - because this car has so much going for it.

I didn't even know I was rear ended when I was struck. I thought I ran over the curb while turning right. It just felt like a bump in the road.

Stingroo
08-31-09, 11:05 AM
Can we see pictures of your car after the accident? I'm kind of curious now. :P I'm sure my Fleetwood would probably fare the same, some scratches, maybe a crack or two. lol

I'll most likely have a 5 mile commute to work each way. (that's where the mall is here, and a lot of places are hiring) That's a gallon of gas every 2 days roughly. Do I really care about $3 a day to make $9 an hour?

Hell no.

monster
09-01-09, 03:25 AM
Laptop. I hate cell phones with bloody passion.

However, for a phone, try an LG Rumor2. My friend has one and it's probably the only phone I can stand to text with. lol

[back on topic] I was talking to my friend from home just a few minutes ago, telling him how excited I was to be able to bring my car up with me to school in the coming weeks, and he was like "You should have traded that thing in for cash for clunkers and got a Kia Soul."

I wanted to e-punch him. Granted, the Kia Soul has a few interesting little features, but they're nothing I can't work into my own car for a fraction of the price (specifically, the speakers that pulse with your music, and iPod connectivity I think is what he was mentioning). Besides, I don't NEED those things in a car, even if the Soul would be cheaper to own, I'd get wrecked with payments.

People these days. lol

Kia Soul, isnt that what hamsters drive?(stupid commerial).

And on how far you guys drive to work, im "lucky" I guess, I live 1/4 from my job, gonna start walking again as soon as it starts getting under 100 degrees around here. Plus the $30 insurance and no car note aint bad either!

Stingroo
09-01-09, 06:41 AM
lol Monster, yeah.

Honestly, the commercial was somewhat catchy at first... and by at first I mean "only the first time". Quarter mile job walk sounds good to me too. lol I'd be pretty pleased with that.

Too bad it's like a half mile from one side of our college campus to the other as it is. lol

sven914
09-01-09, 12:54 PM
I get the train remark from my car's horn. The Cadillac trumpet horns are normal to me, but modern car horns have regressed into sort of a whiny "beep" instead of the mighty "honk" of yesteryear.

My favorite thing to do is drive into short tunnels, roll down all the windows and lay on the horn.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-01-09, 09:50 PM
My favorite thing to do is drive into short tunnels, roll down all the windows and lay on the horn.

I do burnouts in tunnels in the Lincoln. :D

Aron9000
09-02-09, 12:55 AM

So I'm not the only person who does this then . . . . .

RocketFast321
09-04-09, 12:24 AM
So I'm not the only person who does this then . . . . .

Your not either. I replace the beepbeep horns in my 01 grand am with the 4 horn setup out of a Buick park ave.

COBlackZ06
09-04-09, 10:02 PM
Since I got my '93 Fleetwood, depending on the commenter, I've heard the following (and this is just in the past month):

"That's a Pimp-mobile! Can I call you Huggy Bear?"
"You're driving Tony Soprano's ride. Does he know? You may be in line to be whacked."
"You want the Earth to be destroyed, don't you?!"
"It's a Ghetto Sled!"
:bigroll:

I bear these slights with as much grace as I can muster. Why can't people just accept that I bought this to represent the pinnacle of RWD Cadillac exceptionalism. I mean, I love this car for what it is. Why all the drama?

Angry Matt
09-04-09, 10:24 PM
I HATE the term pimp-mobile. Unless it's a '70's Eldorado with loads of chrome accessories and leopard interior that name is almost offensive to me.

Stingroo
09-04-09, 10:44 PM
I hate people who associate Cadillac with "the ghetto". It's so tacky and distasteful, and for the most part, not what Cadillac owners are about. Only a small percentage of them...

But unfortunately, it's been going on for awhile. Hell, Cadillac has been around in rap music from the very beginning.

The Sugarhill Gang - "I got a Lincoln Continental, and a brand new Cadillac..."
Kurtis Blow - "He said his Cadillac was gold... (that's the breaks, that's the breaks) but he didn't say it was ten years old!"
Cypress Hill - "They get mad when they come to raid my pad, and I'm off in the nine-deuce Cad.."

And of course..

Ludacris - "Cadillac grills, Cadillac bills... check out the oil my Cadillac spills! Matter of fact, candy paint, Cadillac kills, so check out the **** my Cadillac fills!"

Granted, to each his own musically speaking (and ironically I actually like all four of these songs mentioned), but on the whole, it hasn't been good for the image IMO.

I don't really know where I'm going with this post, so I'll stop rambling and quoting songs. LOL

sven914
09-04-09, 10:49 PM
Since I got my '93 Fleetwood, I've heard the following:

"You want the Earth to be destroyed, don't you?!"

Some filthy hippie pothead once said, "your car is just adding to the problem," or something to that effect (I wasn't paying attention). I responded by pointing to my car's front end and saying, "See that gold shield and wreath on the hood" and he nodded and I continued, "Well that makes me immune to the cultural phenomenon of giving a s**t."

Stingroo
09-04-09, 10:54 PM
LOL Sven. That's awesome. I'll have to write that one down.

COBlackZ06
09-05-09, 12:02 AM
Sven, I thing we should start a cause. Next "Earth Day", I think we Cadillac owners should head to the nearest Supermarket, and buy several cans of Aquanet, the really lacquor still stuff canned in CO2. At an appointed hour, these cans should be shot into the air, while chanting "Death to Cold Winters! Global Warming is our FRIEND!"

The hippy-dippy, Gang-Green enviro-nazis will be shocked, and the expressions on their faces will worth the cost of the Aquanet cannisters.

Stingroo
09-05-09, 01:33 AM
I'd be in on it. LOL Then follow it up with a Caddy parade. :D

GizmoQ
09-05-09, 04:52 PM
Sven, I thing we should start a cause. Next "Earth Day", I think we Cadillac owners should head to the nearest Supermarket, and buy several cans of Aquanet, the really lacquor still stuff canned in CO2. At an appointed hour, these cans should be shot into the air, while chanting "Death to Cold Winters! Global Warming is our FRIEND!"

The hippy-dippy, Gang-Green enviro-nazis will be shocked, and the expressions on their faces will worth the cost of the Aquanet cannisters.

A buddy of mine gave me a bumper sticker when I installed my Corsas:

I downshift when passing hybrids so they can hear me polluting the environment!

hueterm
09-05-09, 05:35 PM
Ludacris - "Cadillac grills, Cadillac bills... check out the oil my Cadillac spills!

ROFLMAO -- he must have owned a N* w/a bad rear main seal :-)

Stingroo
09-05-09, 06:22 PM
LMFAO! That made my day. XD

sven914
09-05-09, 10:31 PM
^All Cadillacs leak. It's not a Cadillac unless it leaves a stain. I've always thought of it as it's marking its territory; "Priuses and tree huggers beware, Cadillac lurking."

Cadillac Giovanni
09-06-09, 03:06 AM
I'm actually quite environmentally cautious, besides my car. I figure it offsets it a bit.

Besides, everything man-made HAD to have come from earthly materials at some point. It's mother nature's fault for giving it to us. If iron, coal, and fossil fuels were going to help lend toward my destruction, I wouldn't just leave them lying around for industrious people to find. Stupid planet.

COBlackZ06
09-06-09, 11:11 AM
^All Cadillacs leak. It's not a Cadillac unless it leaves a stain. I've always thought of it as it's marking its territory; "Priuses and tree huggers beware, Cadillac lurking."

In my limited dealings with Prius owners, I've come to the conclusion that the car was badly named. They should have dropped the 'r' and called it the Pious. That way the name would double as the adjective to describe the owners, too.

Bro-Ham
09-06-09, 12:01 PM
In my limited dealings with Prius owners, I've come to the conclusion that the car was badly named. They should have dropped the 'r' and called it the Pious. That way the name would double as the adjective to describe the owners, too.

Toyota is not dumb, I would bet you one of my arms that's exactly what they had in mind and their buyers would be the first to tell you they agree because they think they're better than you. I think Toyota Pious drivers are nerds. :)

MT-ED
09-06-09, 12:18 PM

I regularly re-name vehicles. I've used Pious for a long time to describe these vehicles and their owners.

Another one is Pontiac Aztek. I've always called them Pontiac Arsecrack because they're butt-ugly.

:rolleyes:

Martin.

Stingroo
09-06-09, 12:27 PM
LOL Asscrack. That's pretty clever too. I will agree though, the Aztek IS (read: was) very very ugly, but they were kind of cool in a quirky sort of way.

I for one have only met two Prius owners; one was my neighbor, who used to lecture my dad for driving a Grand Marquis and my grandfather for driving a pickup truck and "killing our one and only loving planet!" (Honestly, she took enviro-nut to a whole new level). And the other was someone who I don't think actually OWNED the car. He was trying to race me on the Interstate when I was driving my dad's Mazda, it seemed.

But he (or his car) gave up at about 110 or so.

caddeville89
09-06-09, 09:00 PM

Same here, and we have several in Chattanooga. My wife always hates it. Once we were driving under Missionary Ridge alongside another older FWB, and we were honking back and forth the whole way. Fun stuff! :cool2:

David5865
09-07-09, 12:05 PM
Love the quote about the "wreath and crest" making us immune to environmental concerns. Loved it. Anyway, I'm new to this forum as of yesterday and have to say I found my way home. I've never engaged in forums or message boards before, but can already tell this thing will be addictive. Is anyone on here a member of the Cadillac LaSalle Club. We are national members and affiliates of the north Texas region chapter? There's an event on October 18th, in Ft Worth, TX. It's there regional meet, where everyone get's together and shows off their rides. Some are 100 point show cars, others are drivers and some I'm sure will be projects. We plan to attend and show our new '73 baby that we've named "Lizzie". The name came to me after thinking of her as a big green lizard. If anyone is a member or plans to attend, let me know. I'd love to meet other Caddy addicts.

Stingroo
09-07-09, 12:13 PM
This forum IS addicting. Trust me, just look at my profile and post per day thing. I love forums though.

I'm not quite in Texas, but I'd love to go to some meets around here if there are any. Try going to the regional forums down below us at the home page, you can find some other Texans. :)

David5865
09-07-09, 12:20 PM
We are actually in the Oklahoma City area, but do not have a Cadillac LaSalle Chapter here. That's why we jointed the north texas region as the closest to us. I'll check out the regional forums on the homepage to see if there's anyone close to us. Thanks...

pompste
09-07-09, 10:43 PM
Love the quote about the "wreath and crest" making us immune to environmental concerns. Loved it. Anyway, I'm new to this forum as of yesterday and have to say I found my way home. I've never engaged in forums or message boards before, but can already tell this thing will be addictive. Is anyone on here a member of the Cadillac LaSalle Club. We are national members and affiliates of the north Texas region chapter? There's an event on October 18th, in Ft Worth, TX. It's there regional meet, where everyone get's together and shows off their rides. Some are 100 point show cars, others are drivers and some I'm sure will be projects. We plan to attend and show our new '73 baby that we've named "Lizzie". The name came to me after thinking of her as a big green lizard. If anyone is a member or plans to attend, let me know. I'd love to meet other Caddy addicts.

Yes---this forum is very addicting for sure.
Jesus Christ----that '73 is absolutely gorgeous!

David5865
09-08-09, 04:36 PM
Yes---this forum is very addicting for sure.
Jesus Christ----that '73 is absolutely gorgeous!

Pompste, thanks. I just got it about a month ago. I paid more than I should, but she is absolutely "MINT" - no pun intended...

bwguffey
09-10-09, 08:11 AM
....these cans should be shot into the air, while chanting "Death to Cold Winters! Global Warming is our FRIEND!"...

Sadly, Global Warming is just another promise government has failed to deliver. But the environmentalists are making headway nonetheless... When all the trees are gone, you can wipe your ass on a spotted owl. Word.

Stingroo
09-10-09, 09:29 AM
Yeah but you're forgetting one thing bwguffey:

spotted owls can reproduce, that must make them a RENEWABLE RESOURCE!

Take that, enviro-nuts! :D

Bro-Ham
09-10-09, 10:23 AM
The U.S. of A. isn't a third world country. Environmentalism is a religion based on socialistic fantasy. We won't run out of trees nor spotted owls. We certainly won't run out of oil since we all seem so content to pay $2.60 and more for gas on a regular basis and all the oil under our spotted owl wiping asses is still just sitting under there leaving us vulnerable to the whims and influence of foreign oil producers. The U.S. government can't deliver anything worthwhile except for national defense, roads and bridges, public safety, and ... I don't think there is anything else they can do either effectively, economically, or intelligently! It's time for .88 cent gas again which drill here/drill now would instantly deliver. There is NO reason not to have it! Everyone should be driving a BIG Cadillac!!! :)

Stingroo
09-10-09, 10:24 AM
If gas were 88 cents a gallon, I don't think I'd ever stop driving. LOL

sven914
09-10-09, 11:32 AM
The U.S. of A. isn't a third world country. Environmentalism is a religion based on socialistic fantasy. We won't run out of trees nor spotted owls. We certainly won't run out of oil since we all seem so content to pay $2.60 and more for gas on a regular basis and all the oil under our spotted owl wiping asses is still just sitting under there leaving us vulnerable to the whims and influence of foreign oil producers. It's time for .88 cent gas again which drill here/drill now would instantly deliver. There is NO reason not to have it! Everyone should be driving a BIG Cadillac!!! :)

:preach:

Unfortunately, the forces that created the world's oil supply are no longer present today. The oil we use today was formed over millions of years, from the remains of waterborne algae and plankton that died in ancient oceans over hundreds of thousands of years to form sediment layers. The crushing weight of hundreds of tons water, and eventually land mass compressed the sediment until it formed crude oil and natural gas deposits. So just like how death is imminent, so is the end to our oil reserves.

At the current rate of consumption, and with the proven size of the drillable oil reserves under U.S. soil, the United States would run out in less than three years. Plus pulling away from OPEC could, from a political standpoint, severely damage our relationship with the members, and have us paying higher prices than Holland. And Obama can't implement a price ceiling to drop the price to $.88, because that would cause a huge shortage in our supply and it would be 1973 all over again (with odd number license plate days, lines for two miles to get five gallons, the rebirth of the Gremlin and rear engine BUG). Cadillac would be dead and gone, written into history and forgotten.

But on the other hand, I have said on several occasions, "Why should I care about the next generation? They haven't done anything for me." I just want to die with a full tank of gas, and not have to sell the car to get it.

77CDV
09-10-09, 12:24 PM
But on the other hand, I have said on several occasions, "Why should I care about the next generation? They haven't done anything for me." I just want to die with a full tank of gas, and not have to sell the car to get it.

I think that's my line, kid.:lildevil:

HAZZARDJOHN
09-10-09, 01:51 PM
I have a pink (cerise Firemist) Cadillac that I got in high school. Guess whether my friends have ever made fun of it?

I get the how much Mary Kay did you have to sell for that? From random strangers. I do not get that one as it is nowhere near the color of a Mary Kay Cadillac to me.

I had a little girl tell me it was Barbie Pink. It gets old to me, but I love the color.

I thought I had a great comeback once, it was: my Grandfather picked this color and he fought the Nazis! That makes it a Mans color!
Then my Friend Responded once: Did he throw lipstick at them?

~HJ

Bro-Ham
09-10-09, 02:53 PM
Sven, You're not thinking ahead far enough. By the time oil reserves become THAT scarce the cost of it will have increased to the point where an alternative technology will have made economic sense to develop. There is more oil than we could ever use at the moment and innovation starts as our needs change. Right now there is no cheaper solution than oil - it powers virtually everything. Environmentalists are trying to sway public policy away from oil to some, as of yet, unknown alternative energy that they believe will propell our economy into the future. Our economy can't afford to wait if we intend to be viable. Meanwhile, developing nations, while they may be creating some degree of pollution, are growing using currently available resources. As this is happening, we Americans are unnecessarily stifling our own growth buying into saving the world and worrying about using up all the oil, which will never happen. If we Americans intend to maintain our greatness we need to think smart and ignore the libs who are intent on breaking the economy in their quest for the mediocrity of socialism. :)

Stingroo
09-10-09, 03:02 PM
I still vote Bro-Ham for president, 2012. We can call him Cadillac Dave.

Bro-Ham
09-10-09, 03:07 PM
Oh, a couple of more things, utilizing our own oil is a tool for showing we can and will utilize our resources. I question your claim of 3 years worth of supply - - ??!! :) Using 100% of our own oil resources isn't a reality although we should be using more than we are now so we have leverage to negotiate with foreign suppliers. Another thing: maybe you were too young to remember when this happened maybe 8 or 10 or 12 years ago, but it wasn't that many years ago when gas prices were well under a $buck for quite some time. There was a gas station with a HUGE sign near my office that undersold everyone and they had .88 cent gas for many weeks. Everyone was driving a BIG SUV. :) Everyone traded in their Honda Accords on Ford Explorers - - the cheap oil kept the economy going, had nothing to do with government meddling, and people bought and sold and consumed which kept the economy robust and growing. Depending on Obama to stimulate and control isn't the answer. ;)

Bro-Ham
09-10-09, 03:32 PM
I still vote Bro-Ham for president, 2012. We can call him Cadillac Dave.

Sting, I'd accept the appointment and I'd nominate you as VP and Sven as secretary of transportation. There had better be a cocktail lounge at the whitehouse! Caddy limos all around! :)

Stingroo
09-10-09, 03:36 PM
I remember in 2001 gas was $1.05, and Mobil had "super Tuesday" where they knocked 6 cents off, making it .99 cents. I had a weekly paper route at the time and it was delivered every Thursday for 35 cents. I used to go there to get new subscribers and would say that you could get three weeks worth of news.

Good times. lol

sven914
09-10-09, 03:38 PM
I'm not at all saying that we should slow down our progression, just to prevent the inevitable. The oil is there, if we don't use it China will. I was merely refuting your claims that the oil reserves were infinite and that we should tap our own reserve to drive costs down. I agree that by the time the oil fields dry up, there will probably (maybe) be a new form of technology that will eliminate our fossil fuel dependency. I myself have designed a 100% self sufficient powertrain with an (estimated) 99.9% efficiency (it uses electric motors and compressed air to turn turbines to recharge the batteries). But we cannot rely on future technology, especially when technology is currently being driven by the resources being consumed.

Bro-Ham
09-10-09, 03:57 PM
Sven, have faith in our American Greatness! We have more than enough oil to use now and for quite some time. The more we use it the more we can make things happen and further our interests. Technology will develop far in advance of any real or imagined depletion of oil. We'll continue to perfect efficiencies in the use of oil and also the harvesting of oil. Relying on government to dictate or regulate our usage based on setting ourselves back and allowing other ambitious countries to grow is very bad policy. I say we're not a third world country because Americans are smart and will outthink far in advance any even remote depletion of oil supplies in the world. There will always be the next renaissance and we need those who are determined to advance socialism to get out of the way! :)

Bro-Ham
09-10-09, 04:01 PM
I have a pink (cerise Firemist) Cadillac that I got in high school. Guess whether my friends have ever made fun of it?

I get the how much Mary Kay did you have to sell for that? From random strangers. I do not get that one as it is nowhere near the color of a Mary Kay Cadillac to me.

I had a little girl tell me it was Barbie Pink. It gets old to me, but I love the color.

I thought I had a great comeback once, it was: my Grandfather picked this color and he fought the Nazis! That makes it a Mans color!
Then my Friend Responded once: Did he throw lipstick at them?

~HJ

HJ, Is the Fleetwood Brougham in the 1975 Cadillac brochure shown in Cerise Firemist? I love that color! It's not pink, maybe a dusty rose color - kind of a sparkling glass of rose' brut champagne?! :) Show some pictures! :)

HAZZARDJOHN
09-10-09, 04:08 PM
No the Coupe Deville in the '75 brochure is. It is almost Identical to my car, except it has a full vinyl roof, no side mirror, and leather seats) Mine has the Manhatten interior, d'Elegance package, pass. mirror and a half vinyl top. I will post a pic of it in an hour. I am at work and They block photos here. I have a scanned page of the 75 coupe in the brochure in my Photobucket account.

~HJ

HAZZARDJOHN
09-10-09, 05:33 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/caddy/1975cadillac_brochure.jpg
^ Cerise firemist from 1975 brochure

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/caddy/JohnsCar03.jpg
^My car

sven914
09-10-09, 06:10 PM
That is a nice color. It's kinda tranquil; not too bold but it doesn't blend into traffic either. Needs white walls.

Stingroo
09-10-09, 06:26 PM
Correction sven, it needs bigger whitewalls. It's got little dinky ones right now.

That's a car I would go full out like 2 inch or something. Great looking car.

sven914
09-10-09, 09:22 PM
Correction sven, it needs bigger whitewalls. It's got little dinky ones right now.

That's a car I would go full out like 2 inch or something. Great looking car.

You're right it does have white walls. I don't know how I didn't see that; must be that the black walls are unusually wide.

Stingroo
09-10-09, 09:29 PM
I had to stare at it to see them too. Really huge black walls, and the white wall is really, really close to the rim.

Bro-Ham
09-11-09, 12:23 AM
I'd drive the Cerise! I love it!!! :) That is a great looking car! Man I love 75's and 76's!!! A white interior with that would be even more over the top!

Of course, speaking of off the wall colors, I drive yellow now myself and this color fits right in here in the sunshine state as would Cerise Firemist or any other tropical and/or unusual color.

I'm reminded of a situation on this forum back in 2005 when there was a big talking guy with a low mileage 79 Coupe deVille special edition silver and black model called a d'Marischino (or some such BS :) ). Anyway, this dude was wanting to sell the car and he linked his ad on ebay and I still laugh to myself to this day about the over the top description he gave of how superior his car was and that it was unlike all the other Caddies for sale on ebay of the same year which were all "old man green or p**s yellow." Classic! :) :) :) :) :)

MT-ED
09-11-09, 08:21 AM
Did you mean one of these Bro-Ham?

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/Cads01.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/Cads02.jpg

Forget the model name now....someone will know it.

HAZZARDJOHN that is one gorgeous looking car. I'd drive it. And yeah.....wide whites would be wicked.

Martin.

Stingroo
09-11-09, 08:40 AM
That's awesome. Looks like an 80s 442 Cutlass kind of, just flip flopped. (Color wise)

http://www.gbodies.com/images/cutlass/83hurst.jpg

Bro-Ham
09-11-09, 08:53 AM
The two tone silver and black Coupe deVille was called different names regionally. In the eastern part of the country I've heard many called "d'Marschand" - - I intentionally butchered it in my previous e-mail, and I may not have spelled it correctly here. In the midwest it was called "Northbriar." I can remember seeing the Northbriar Coupes when they were new up in Minnesota and one of the big time stand alone Cadillac dealerships did quite a TV advertising campaign. The Northbriar logo was cool too. I've heard the of the silver/black 79 coupe called maybe one or two other names. There is a thread on this somewhere on this forum about these special variations.

Speaking of special editions, I can even remember seeing Buick LeSabre Palm Beach Coupes when they were new - - MAN I'd love to have one of those!!!!!! Soooooo completely Florida with two tone pastel yellow and white exterior with a specially appointed interior featuring distinctive bleached simulated wood, deluxe Cadillac style door pull handles, and exclusive yellow gold cloth interior. Where are the special editions these days?!?!?

Stingroo
09-11-09, 09:16 AM
They're called V. That's it. lol

HAZZARDJOHN
09-11-09, 09:51 AM
I had to stare at it to see them too. Really huge black walls, and the white wall is really, really close to the rim.

They are Goodyear regatta 2's. I bought them a week after my Grandpa gave me the car since the Sears tires that were on it were dry rotted. They are 9 years old now so it is time for a replacement, even though they look brand new (only 20K miles on them), They are starting to dry rot.

~HJ

Bro-Ham
09-11-09, 01:36 PM
put on the Vogue Tyres HJ! :) What color interior is in your lovely Cerise car??

HAZZARDJOHN
09-11-09, 02:25 PM
Maroon, not red. Funny story, I bought a whole rusted out 75 caddy coupe (also cerise) with a red interior (plaid seats!)because it had a perfect headliner in it for my car. The res of the car was so rusted out it wasn't even funny. I took the headliner out of this car and then took mine out of my car. It wasn't until I started putting it in that I realized my cars interior was maroon more than red. It wasn't even a close match, but apart they looked the same to me.

~HJ

robb257731
09-11-09, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Bro-Ham;2000392]I'd drive the Cerise! I love it!!! :) That is a great looking car! Man I love 75's and 76's!!! A white interior with that would be even more over the top!

Of course, speaking of off the wall colors, I drive yellow now myself and this color fits right in here in the sunshine state as would Cerise Firemist or any other tropical and/or unusual color.

A white interior would completely make it look like a Barbie Car.

I have a friend who mocked the heck out of my white 1998 Monte Carlo when I bought it in 99 because the rims are white to match the paint.

Bottom line, if you like it, that's all that matters!!!

That being said...the other day I decided to drive past the house of the guy I sold my 92 Brougham (I called him Edward) to last month. My Brougham was kind of a wierd grey, with a grey top. The guy I sold it to has done all the body work and painted him BLACK. Not only that, but he took my beautiful whitewalls and turned them IN so the car has a grey top, black body, grey euro trim and great big blackwall tires. I think it looks like crap, but again, if the guy likes it, good for him.

In my mind, big old Cadillacs need nice whitewalls. My 91 Brougham has blackwall tires on it, and I hate them. Unfortunately they're basically brand new and I can't justify replacing them, because what would I do with them?

HAZZARDJOHN
09-11-09, 03:27 PM
Oh trust me I don't care, I just have a pink car so I get crap from time to time. Oh well I love the car. Most people do too, I am the biggest critic with it than anyone, I look at it and see faded paint and rust, but that is because it means alot to me and I want it to be in a condition to my standards. People look at my car and want to talk to me about it and I find I slip into pointing out all of its flaws. Its a curse. Oh well I want to get it fixed this winter.

~HJ

JamesC
09-11-09, 11:31 PM
Haven't got an insult yet, heh, even if and when I do - I don't care. That shield-crest and wreath blocks it... nah just in one ear and out the other. I like my Caddy and that's what matters.

Most comments were just about how huge the car is and how can I drive that train and park it? Not really an insult, just tease.

Of course I got those "pimp-mobile" comments too and a few that's a "Mafia car", paint it black with a couple bodies in the trunk and there ya go!

I got an older man come up to me, when I just climbed in, after going to an estate sale the other day and asked if I wanted or knew of anyone who may want to buy a 78 Eldorado (and described it briefly) and commented on how nice my Caddy looked.

sven914
09-14-09, 04:15 PM
I forgot about this incident, but last year I was attending an automotive college, and for every automotive system we covered I would try to find a real world example within the Cadillac Motor Car Division. Most of the time I found out that Cadillac was the exception to the rule. So almost everyday I would bring up a point on how Cadillac does things this way, or how that procedure won't work for Cadillac, or why we have OBD-I, or that Cadillac was first to have duel stage air bags (1974).

One of the other students got annoyed with me one day and asked, "What is so great about Cadillac?"

I very bluntly replied with, "Cadillac is the stick to which all things are compared... and then eventually beaten with."

Stingroo
09-14-09, 04:25 PM
lol I like that analogy. Works better than trying to convince someone that they really meant it when they said "Standard of the world."

Bro-Ham
09-14-09, 05:40 PM
Cadillac also had Track Master anti-skid brakes starting in, I can't remember for sure, 1975? It could have been 1974. You could have ABS and SRS on a Cad in the mid 1970's and both options were discontinued likely because no one ordered them. Then Mercedes-Benz came out with ABS and SRS about 10 years later and they were touted as the leader and innovator. :) Cadillac should have made ABS and SRS standard starting in 1977 instead of cancelling those features altogether. It's cocktail hour right now....

I owned a 1976 Fleetwood Brougham with the dual airbags. That steering wheel rim was so un-Cadillac skinny and seemed so small for those giant cars plus you couldn't get tilt/tele with the airbags option. One of the things I absolutely adore about the 74-76 Cads is that cool 3-spoke steering wheel! By the way, the airbags were also available starting in 1974 on full size Buicks and Oldsmobiles.

Does anyone on this forum have a diesel Cadillac? I want one! Talk about friends making fun..... :) :) :)

sven914
09-14-09, 06:16 PM
Does anyone on this forum have a diesel Cadillac? I want one! Talk about friends making fun..... :) :) :)

One of my friends at the college... His first car was an 83 Fleetwood Brougham diesel. The day he got it, he blew the engine on unleaded :nono:.

Bro-Ham
09-14-09, 07:25 PM
I'd love a 1985 last of the diesels. Or a 1984. A Cadillac would be fine. Even better would be an Olds 98 or Park Avenue diesel. I drove by a 1982 Sedan deVille in Cameo Ivory with the HT4100 - not a 1/2 bad looking car - $450! They say the engine has a noisy rod but it has tons of new parts. I need this like I need a hole in my head! Anyway, if y'all see a really nice looking diesel please let me know!

tx_boy_ep
09-14-09, 10:22 PM
I have an 84 Sedan DeVille with 56K original miles and all my friends try to buy it off me! LOL I guess I only hang with guys who know about cars! Every where I go I always have an older guy ask me to buy it for $5K but than I have some young ass wana be gangstas always offer me $1200 and I just laugh at them and walk away! I really dont get anybody hatting on my car cause my shit is as clean as it was the day it left the factory!

77CDV
09-14-09, 11:23 PM
Track Master was introduced in 1972 IIRC.

sven914
09-15-09, 01:15 PM
I have an 84 Sedan DeVille with 56K original miles and all my friends try to buy it off me! LOL I guess I only hang with guys who know about cars! Every where I go I always have an older guy ask me to buy it for $5K but than I have some young ass wana be gangstas always offer me $1200 and I just laugh at them and walk away! I really dont get anybody hatting on my car cause my shit is as clean as it was the day it left the factory!

Last year, some cracker assed wanksta fell in love with my car and offered me $6500 and a 97 Malibu, with a professionally installed, custom build, competition grade, 1200 watt/100A/160DB audio system (he would bet people $50 that they couldn't sit in his car for one whole minute; win every time). I told him to take another hit of his crack pipe.

Bro-Ham
09-15-09, 10:31 PM
Sven, If he is hitting the crack pipe and he actually has $6,500 plus a 97 Malibu, I would grab the $$$ and run! :)

The-Dullahan
01-25-10, 12:49 AM
I have a guy that I work with that purposely points out lincolns or similar cars and asks me if I saw that "cadillac". He always tells me they look just like mine. It used to get to me, but I don't let it anymore. It's actually kind of entertaining now.

I have an interestingly similar problem. Any time somebody sees a Hearse (which is often a different colour, totally different year and VERY often is a completely different model and make (Like the '56 Pontiac hearse we saw) they tell me that they saw one EXACTLY like mine...

Ironically, when I see the occasional Brougham, they do not see ANY resemblance to my car.

primosanteria
12-08-11, 12:21 PM
HazzardJohn,

I must have your 1975 Coupe Deville Cerise Firemist's twin. I inherited it from my father a year ago, and posted in the Classics section to assess a value. It's a really cool car that definetely turns heads... I just don't have to room or garage to treat it right.

Rock on,

Primo

dennis93coupe
12-08-11, 12:45 PM
Does anyone on this forum have a diesel Cadillac?
This guy does.... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=32272

My Mom had an Olds Tornado diesel years ago, nice looking car it was a dark shale metalic. She got rid of it before the warranty was up on it, couldn't keep it out of the shop. Traded it in for a Cimaron, and she caught hell from me for not asking first. It was as bad if not worse. She drives a 2004 CTS now, best car she's ever owned. I may have to take it away from her soon, she's 80 yrs old now.

Edit; Good grief, didn't look at how old this thread is until now....

Spillin
12-14-11, 12:23 AM
I hear it all the time. I understand though because as of now my 79 is in a ridiculously drawn-out body work process. My sister would rather sit at home all day then drive my car lol. My mom is even going to pay for the rest of the bodywork/paint just because she hates looking at it. Most of my friends think i settled when i bought it, but jokes on them i got my dream car. :)

MrHolland
12-14-11, 11:50 PM
Yes my friends have insulted my car. On the third insult though, they will and have been put out of the car!!!! It forces them to pick and choose their insults. :thumbsup:

The-Dullahan
12-15-11, 12:57 AM
I could always respond by putting someone IN my car.

GizmoQ
12-15-11, 03:13 AM
I could always respond by putting someone IN my car.

I just wait till they're in front of the car and accidentally lean on the train horns button.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imagehosting/131074a219b0f402b7.jpg

The-Dullahan
12-15-11, 07:12 PM
Air horns FTW. Ten gallons of air at 250 PSI is the main reason I never get stuck in Traffic. Ever. Statistically speaking, that is enough air to flip a bus.

pompste
12-17-11, 12:20 AM
No insults yet.
Many many compliments on both my Caddy`s!
I`ll probably hear some insults someday from the narrow minded who don`t see the classic beauty of my rides.

The-Dullahan
12-17-11, 12:43 AM
And when you do, promptly return an insult to the individual's Prius.

CADforce69
12-17-11, 06:34 AM
I only hear words of admiration towards my caddy, as its almost unique here in Spain; some ask after: What about fuel consumption? Its a huge figure for Europe. Just one exception, not coming from a friend of mine but an old man passing by: "That car is ruinous!" :lol: I thought it was funny as he was measuring the car from a practical point of view, but this is not a daily driver, of course, but a car for going to classic car meetings or taking a ride from time to time. Here consumption does not count; Just Pleasure Per Gallon :D and maintenance is cheaper than any nowadays car even counting shipping from U.S. to Europe.

Aron9000
12-17-11, 06:49 AM
I only hear words of admiration towards my caddy, as its almost unique here in Spain; some ask after: What about fuel consumption? Its a huge figure for Europe. Just one exception, not coming from a friend of mine but an old man passing by: "That car is ruinous!" :lol: I thought it was funny as he was measuring the car from a practical point of view, but this is not a daily driver, of course, but a car for going to classic car meetings or taking a ride from time to time. Here consumption does not count; Just Pleasure Per Gallon :D and maintenance is cheaper than any nowadays car even counting shipping from U.S. to Europe.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a 1991 Brougham with the 5.7 TBI Chevy engine. That car was stupid cheap to maintain. $20 ac/heat blower motor, same part on a Benz S-class was like $400. Total brake job with new calipers, rotors, pads, brake shoes, refinished drums was like $350. Headliner was like $280, $20 for a idle air control valve, $350 for new tires. Battery was $40. In three years, 30k miles of ownership, that is all that damn car owed me.

CADforce69
12-17-11, 01:35 PM
^As my caddy was neglected for many years I had to spend money in brakes, steering, suspension, some ignition parts, transmission, badges... Everything was done at a low price and I could save a good deal to re-upholster the car... And its a Cadillac. Some people adviced me at first that a classic Mercedes would be better -I suppose they meant it would be more reliable and easy to fix-. If I had bought a Mercedes in similar condition, fixing it would have costed 5 times more at least... And I have never liked Mercedes. I think a caddy equipped with the 472 engine and the TH400 tranny is as reliable at least as a late '60s Mercedes, and much more elegant and luxurious. :)

Bro-Ham
12-17-11, 02:11 PM
If you love your car that is all that matters. Your enthusiasm for your car will be contagious when you share how cool it is with others. Of course, there will always be detractors who have something to say. I'm reminded of a funny quote from a colorful friend of mine who said: "opinions are like as*h**s, everyone has one and I'm not particularly interested in yours!" :)

DouglasJRizzo
12-17-11, 07:13 PM
Cadillac also had Track Master anti-skid brakes starting in, I can't remember for sure, 1975? It could have been 1974. You could have ABS and SRS on a Cad in the mid 1970's and both options were discontinued likely because no one ordered them. Then Mercedes-Benz came out with ABS and SRS about 10 years later and they were touted as the leader and innovator. :) Cadillac should have made ABS and SRS standard starting in 1977 instead of cancelling those features altogether.

Track Master debuted in 1973. It is a RARE bird option, but Cadillac had it years before MB and BMW did. Lincoln had "Sure Track" about two years earlier, starting I think in 70 or 71. My 71 Thunderbird Special Brougham has it.

The-Dullahan
12-18-11, 01:08 PM
^My 72 has Sure Track.

CADforce69
12-19-11, 10:25 AM
Cadillac also had Track Master anti-skid brakes starting in, I can't remember for sure, 1975? It could have been 1974. You could have ABS and SRS on a Cad in the mid 1970's and both options were discontinued likely because no one ordered them. Then Mercedes-Benz came out with ABS and SRS about 10 years later and they were touted as the leader and innovator. :) Cadillac should have made ABS and SRS standard starting in 1977 instead of cancelling those features altogether. It's cocktail hour right now....

I owned a 1976 Fleetwood Brougham with the dual airbags.

Thats a very interesting fact that common people ignore (Im one of them). People think cadillac (and the rest of U.S. automotive industry) abandoned their active innovation policies in the mid 70's. Its good to know thats not true. Maybe the mistake was making that equipment optional instead of mandatory for at least Fleetwood Broughams in a time when safety was not a popular concern... But in a few years it would be more and more important. Maybe competition from European models was underestimated.

Bro-Ham
12-19-11, 11:44 AM
Thats a very interesting fact that common people ignore (Im one of them). People think cadillac (and the rest of U.S. automotive industry) abandoned their active innovation policies in the mid 70's. Its good to know thats not true. Maybe the mistake was making that equipment optional instead of mandatory for at least Fleetwood Broughams in a time when safety was not a popular concern... But in a few years it would be more and more important. Maybe competition from European models was underestimated.

Cadillac might have had better luck with airbags and ABS had they included them with the first generation Seville which was such a class and trend leader. Mercedes offered both almost 10 years later in the mid 1980's which made those features interesting and desirable to buyers and admirers. Our federal government then mandated passive restraints by the early 1990's, so the government made the choice rather than car buyers, and we got them whether we wanted them or not. :)

The-Dullahan
12-19-11, 07:30 PM
"That car is ruinous!" :lol: I thought it was funny as he was measuring the car from a practical point of view

My father used to tell me it is not about MPG, but MPH. If his Chevrolet burned any more gas, it would have been measured in GPM, rather than MPG.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/Scan9_0009-1.jpg?t=1324340823

Honestly, I have recently been told that the Chevy is just a big, red brick, but when I responded with a challenge, the laughter died down.

As for me, my daily driver doesn't do any better than your car on fuel. I hate petrol nazis.

I guess the only other one I ever really had was when I bought the Lincoln and someone told me that it was "catshit" but upon realizing the quality and shape of the car, they just insisted (To this day) that it is actually just photoshop and fancy video editing and that it does not actually exist because "No one has a car that glossy" and because we all know how computer literate I am :rolleyes:

CADforce69
12-19-11, 09:24 PM
^I am aware my caddy is a "pleasure machine" and at the same time, a piece of automotive History. The best way of enjoying it is highway driving, at 60-75 MPH. There you can do 11 MPG, less if you increase speed but then you wont enjoy the best of the car as its not conceived as a sports car although it can be very fast. You can also show off in the city streets but then MPG drops to 6.5-7.0, what may be relevant when 25 gallons cost here 125 = $166.67. But I leave that for bean counters :lol: Im HAPPY when I drive my caddy; every I spend on it is really worth it. :D

Now Im remembering the first time I went to my parts shop to ask something for my caddy (I think it was a cover) and I had to explain it was for a 1969 cadillac. They got it for me but -as we have a friendly relationship- the shop guy told me Youre nuts! :lol: Many people here think having a classic cadillac is an eccentricity but not having a Seat 600 like this:

http://s11.postimage.org/sc76vf0nn/5517960.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image hosting jpeg (http://postimage.org/)

As here many people have one of these as a classic car, but I find it hard to believe it is a car :D

The-Dullahan
12-21-11, 03:08 AM
The "Pargo" I drove around the utilidor at Walt Disney World with was larger. Therefore, that is in fact NOT a car.

Also, I am totally buying one of those, because I just realized I miss it.

Arthurwalters
12-21-11, 05:42 AM
No doubt friends are also insult your cars and like many other things, ... know who you are and you can say all those things you never could face to face. ...it is a love of your friends however we should feel happy to drive it.

CADforce69
12-21-11, 04:37 PM
The "Pargo" I drove around the utilidor at Walt Disney World with was larger. Therefore, that is in fact NOT a car.

Also, I am totally buying one of those, because I just realized I miss it.

^Yes, in fact I think both the Pargo and the Seat 600 should be considered as "carts". Believe it or not, in the '60s Spanish families traveled frequently in this "cart" with 4 adults and 4 children, and a lot of baggage on the luggage rack :p

ag42b
12-22-11, 03:19 PM
Never got any insults, more compliments instead. My friends marvel that the 25 year old American Iron will do nearly everything that their foreign cars do, ride with confort, and be comparatively easy on the wallet. This is my 3d Cadillac over the years, and when my body was in extremis this summer, my wife was told by her father, on no uncertain terms, not to sell the Brougham, as I would need something to drive when I recovered. (The other cars, 2 Cads, 4 Volvos, and 2 AMCs disappeared). Even my extremely trendy and fashion-conscious daughters like to ride in the back, due to electrical outlets for everybody's iPhones and laptops, and the rear armrest, which holds cups and serves as sort of a catfight shield. :) Most importantly, I feel safe. Studded snow tires and good regular service assure no breakdowns. The GM shop manual answers most of my questions, and the fine folks here help when I cannot find an answer. The old Brougham has more life left in it than I do.

tqwrench
01-15-12, 09:45 PM
If someone insults my Diesel Caddy, I'll just back the car up to their front door or an open window and fill their home with smoke. Have some of that! Free fumigation incoming!!!!