: Production Date

sven914
08-21-09, 04:22 AM
Lately I've been obsessed with finding my car's build date. I think I've found a good way to estimate the date from the VIN; which will at least allow me to sleep at night (note the time this thread was started). My idea is that if the last five digits of the VIN are sequential, then my car was #29,906 of the 40,264 Broughams build in 89. If I use the estimate of 767 cars produced per day (1977 total) then I could figure out the exact day my car was built, based on the production year start or end date.

The problem I'm having is that I cannot find the production start or end dates for any of the Cadillac lines for any of the model years (except 1902=October 17). So does anyone know the day when production for the 1989 model year began or the day they stopped production of 1989's? Also the average number of Cadillacs Arlington Assembly was capable of would be helpful to.

ewill3rd
08-21-09, 07:51 AM
The month and year should be on the door sticker... that would get you started.
Is the sticker gone?

sven914
08-21-09, 02:28 PM
The door sticker only tells me that she was made in the general time frame of 04/01/1989-04/30/1989. I want to know the specific day within that general time frame that she came out of Arlington.

Also I realize that 767 is a little high, so I figured that the number was derived from all of the cars being produced on Clark Street from all Cadillac lines. The Fleetwood Brougham for 1977 was about 11% of the total yearly production, meaning 90 cars a day. So if 90 (cars a day) produces 28000 units in one year, then 129 cars are need to be made per day to produce 40,264 cars in a year. I'll use 129 per day in my calculation.

ewill3rd
08-21-09, 05:12 PM
If it wasn't so old I could run the VIN and see the actual production date.
I am sure that has long since been purged from the system though.

sven914
08-21-09, 06:57 PM
It's worth a try though, right?

1G6DW51Y5KR729906

Thanks for your help.

jayoldschool
08-21-09, 07:02 PM
Have you taken out your seats to look for your build sheet?

sven914
08-21-09, 07:31 PM
Yes. In fact on July 10th I posted a picture of it and asked if anyone could tell me, by the numbers on it, the date of production. There were no replies.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=375&pictureid=4772

It was under the driver's seat, and got mangled when I pulled it out. I have all of the pieces and there are no dates on them.

77CDV
08-22-09, 03:21 AM
Look at the cowl plate on the driver's side of the car. On the left side of the plate about the third line down will be a three charater combination of two numbers and a letter. The numbers represent the month and the letter the week of the month the car was built. My 69 FWB, for example, says 02A, meaning it was built the first week of February, 1969. This squares with a build number of 200338, making my car the 100337th 1969 Cadillac built. My 77 CDV says 06D, for the 4th week of June. As I mentioned to DopeStar, there is a date molded into the lower lip of the dashboard, on the passenger side IIRC, on the 77-92 full-sized RWD Cadillacs. On my 77, it says 062077, which matches the cowl plate.

Hope this helps you sleep at night.

Craig

sven914
08-22-09, 02:10 PM
Where is the cowl plate? I've looked everywhere on the firewall haven't seen one.

jayoldschool
08-22-09, 02:35 PM
I don't think it has a cowl plate. I think the SPID stickers in the trunk replaced the cowl plate.

Sorry about the buildsheet. I forgot about that pic. However, I know someone who works on the line for GM, and may know how to get a date from it. I'll keep you posted...

Bro-Ham
08-22-09, 04:42 PM
Sven, Good luck! I searched and searched under the seats in my car and wasn't as lucky as you to find the magic piece of paper. My car has a sticker on the LF door and the production date is very hard to read. There is something like a "GM Media Archive" or some such thing that keeps records of production for certian model years. I believe I checked once and my 1979 car was not included. You should see if that helps. I also remember a person on this forum named "Sandy" who seemed to have every answer to every Cadillac question - - I believe he worked for Cadillac. When I first started chatting on this forum in 2005 he was quite active. Also, try the Cadillac LaSalle Club. They may have some information or leads. Good luck and keep us posted on your findings! Dave :)

77CDV
08-22-09, 07:01 PM
Where is the cowl plate? I've looked everywhere on the firewall haven't seen one.

If it's there, it should be on the driver's side, directly in front of the windshield, almost in line with the VIN plate. Jay may be right that by 1988, cowl plates had been replaced with the trunk-mounted sticker.

jayoldschool
08-23-09, 11:02 PM
Here's what my GM source said. Importantly, he noted that the sheet of paper you found isn't the actual build sheet - it is an option sheet.

Unless he finds the actual final build sheet inside the car, It's going to be difficult for him to pin down the exact build date by simply guessing or trying to calculate it? The reason is:
1. A plant may build say 600 cars per day in 2 8hr shifts for 4 days, then the next day, shift 1 may have an equipment breakdown that causes a loss in production of 50 cars that day.
WeekendS and Holidays of no build production etc...
.So, attempting to guess exactly what day the car was built on is a "Crap Shoot". Production numbers somtimes vary from day to day, sometimes not? However, I can tell you that GM has it's model changeover (Next model year) in the middle of July at nearly every assembly plant in the USA/Canada since I've worked with them since 1978.....So his 1989 Caddy was surely built AFTER July of 1988

So, even counting the cars built and doing the math won't get you the build date.

sven914
08-23-09, 11:51 PM
So then I guess I gotta rip out the back seat.

Thanks for your help,

-SVEN-

Bro-Ham
08-24-09, 10:00 AM
Sven, The back seat in my car was easy to remove although I found no evidence under it. I hope your car has what you're looking for! Dave

sven914
08-25-09, 04:45 PM
Nothing under there except a moldy pack of trident and a duplicate option sheet.

The only other place the build sheet would be (if another owner didn't steal it) is in the passenger seat, right? And being that I can't see it hanging from the springs (like the option sheet) I have to skin the seat, right?

In June, FeddieD posted a picture of his 85 Coupe (in pics of your big body 2 dr coupes), siting it was the last one produced. When jayoldschool asked him about it he posted this information about how he confirmed it was the last one:

Jay,

Non of the prior owners knew that this was the last one.
I called up GM in 98 to ask if I can get a copy of the build sheet, this woman was very nice to me. She took the VIN number & had a rep call me back the following week to confirm all the info.

Is this option still viable or have they disconnected the phone number?

Also I checked into the Cadillac LaSalle Club and they want a $50 membership fee before they'll give out any help. And the GM Media Archive only dates back to 2000. And I e-mailed the GM Heritage Center but they haven't gotten back to me (I think they only take donations).

Stingroo
08-25-09, 04:51 PM
You can get your build sheet or original vehicle invoice from GM for $50 each.

http://wiki.gmnext.com/wiki/index.php/GM_Vehicle_Invoices,_Build_Records_and_Vintage_Veh icle_Information_Availability

Bro-Ham
08-25-09, 05:41 PM
You gotta pay to play! :) You could ask a question on the Cadillac club website - - I believe anyone can post on their forum. I was a member of the club for years. Nice folks. Good luck!

sven914
08-25-09, 05:55 PM
You can get your build sheet or original vehicle invoice from GM for $50 each.

http://wiki.gmnext.com/wiki/index.php/GM_Vehicle_Invoices,_Build_Records_and_Vintage_Veh icle_Information_Availability

Sweet. Now I have something to put on my Christmas list.

Stingroo
08-25-09, 06:30 PM
You're welcome. :)

I like how Cadillac is the only division that has ALL of their records. lol

I might order mine, just to say I have it if I ever sell the car (fat chance!)

77CDV
08-25-09, 11:32 PM
I was a member of the club for years.

Just out of curiosity, what made you leave?

Stingroo
08-25-09, 11:35 PM
More curiosity: what do they do?

77CDV
08-26-09, 12:15 AM
More curiosity: what do they do?

What we do here, except in person, with their cars present.

sven914
08-26-09, 12:38 AM
Bro-Ham probably got tired of paying the membership fees:

USA (1st Class Mail) --- $50 for 1 year, $99 for $2 years, or $148 for 3 years.
USA (2nd Class Mail) --- $35 for 1 year, $69 for $2 years, or $103 for 3 years.
Canada and Mexico --- $55 for 1 year, $109 for $2 years, or $163 for 3 years.
All Other Countries --- $65 for 1 year, $129 for $2 years, or $193 for 3 years.
Life Member Domestic --- $750 (qualification after 10 consecutive years of paid CLC dues)
Life Member Foreign --- $1000 (qualification after 10 consecutive years of paid CLC dues)

Here is a link to their web site if you're interested. (http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/)

Bro-Ham
08-26-09, 12:59 AM
Just out of curiosity, what made you leave?

Hi, Are you involved with the Cad/LaSalle Club? It has been 6 or 7 years since I was a member of the CLC. I wasn't very active attending meets since the local group was tightly knit although they loved it when I would bring out my 76 Fleetwood with only 9k miles and factory "air cushion restraint system." I slowed down with the Cadillacs when I got hooked on Rolls-Royce and Bentley. The Rolls-Royce Owners' Club was my automotive home for over a decade starting in 1997 and I enjoyed the people very much and also loved the local and national meets. I owned several neat RR's and B's over the years and a couple of them were highly recognized award winning cars in the local and national club concours d'elegance competitions. Of course I became a heavy drinker since the cars are big expensive trouble but I don't regret the ownership experiences and plan to do it again. I'm in the process of making a mid life career change so my car stable is very different now so I can be flexible to finish school for my new profession and be ready to get down to business.

Bro-Ham
08-26-09, 01:15 AM
Bro-Ham probably got tired of paying the membership fees:

USA (1st Class Mail) --- $50 for 1 year, $99 for $2 years, or $148 for 3 years.
USA (2nd Class Mail) --- $35 for 1 year, $69 for $2 years, or $103 for 3 years.

The CLC puts out a half decent magazine and the cars owned by many of the club members are fantastic. $35 bux a year isn't that much. I felt the focus for many of the CLC national club members was the older cars. I love the coach built Fleetwoods from the late 1930's to 1940 and pretty much 1958+ but there is lots and lots of activity in the CLC dedicated to car vintages I appreciate yet I'm not particularly interested in on a daily basis. I own a 1979 and like to connect with people who identify with the mid-1970's to early 1990's Cadillacs which is the emphasis of the discussion in this particular forum we all enjoy so I'm not rushing out to re-join the CLC but it could happen. I believe the CLC online forum is open to anyone. I love everyone on this forum so I consider this my Cadillac spot.

77CDV
08-26-09, 04:02 PM
Yeah, joined the national and the SoCal region about 6 years ago and ended up events coordinator for my region. I know what you mean about alot of the members favoring the 30s, 40s, and 50s cars, but I've found that by showing a bit of enthusiasm for their cars, they reciprocate towards my 77.

I love CF because, like you, my interests are largely on the 77-79 cars (big surprise!) and their successors. The CLC membership is cool because I also like taking my car out and checking out other peoples' cars. I even convinced one older member who swore he'd never consider anything made past 1970 start seriously looking for a 77-79 FWB. He apparently was impressed with my car's performace on last year's national driving tour in northern CA.

BTW, love the RRs and Bs, too. Just too rich for my wallet LOL!