: Should My STS-V be quicker than this **video**

inurok
08-20-09, 12:32 PM
2 quick videos I made yesterday. I forgot to shut the AC off but i dont think that makes a big deal. I was gonna use manual shift mode but I thought my reflexes were not quick enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KczLopVblzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBF9vXv02Xs

Indyblue98
08-20-09, 01:33 PM
I loaded the max performance tune I got from W4M and boy what a difference. That car has so much more power even down low. I have to feather the gas pedal the whole time while driving lol.
:cool2:
0-110 in 14 seconds sounds pretty good for a 4300 lb car on the street.

Isn't it amazing how soon the new found power just isn't enough anymore?:banghead:

inurok
08-20-09, 01:44 PM
I loaded the max performance tune I got from W4M and boy what a difference. That car has so much more power even down low. I have to feather the gas pedal the whole time while driving lol.
:cool2:
0-110 in 14 seconds sounds pretty good for a 4300 lb car on the street.

Isn't it amazing how soon the new found power just isn't enough anymore?:banghead:

No it feels quick but on video its different. My car recently had a new engine installed so I just want to make sure everything seems right.

My much heavier 4x4 truck seems just as quick though i know its not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6oTQwklGEE

dhemrick
08-20-09, 02:12 PM
I noticed you had it in regular drive mode (D). From what I have heard and experienced, putting it in sD will give you the quickest 0-60 (and beyond) times. Still very impressive!

Florian
08-20-09, 04:14 PM
tract control OFF, Sport mode ON - roast tires

F

inurok
08-20-09, 04:23 PM

F

Yeah I am not good at things like this. On the second video I did manage to get some wheel spin though.

WillySTS
08-20-09, 05:17 PM
Yeah I am not good at things like this. On the second video I did manage to get some wheel spin though.

I could never floor my car from a standing start like that, even with the stock box, I get instant wheelspin, then hit the rev limiter or wheel hop then rev limiter. I always have to sqeeze the throttle to get as much wheelspin as you got on the 2nd video. Your truck may give you the sensation it's faster because it burns so much more rubber.

How quick is your truck in the 1/4? It seems about as quick as my '91 454SS was - 14.02/100. That was on D/R's and no wheel spin. With wheelspin about like your truck it was 14.52/99.

Jeff K.
08-20-09, 06:24 PM
Great video!!! What about top end?? I took mine to a track and clocked 165 (straight away)--because I chickened out. then, was told it is not wise to do so with the speedo hooked up as it only goes to 160 and bad things can happen.

inurok
08-20-09, 08:03 PM
165!!! I thought it was limited to 155 so something like that?

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-21-09, 01:01 AM
Trucks are geared for pulling so its going to be quick in first, that truck took some time to get to 100... notice the caddy gets there much much easier.

Jeff K.
08-21-09, 12:53 PM
Yes, it is listed as being electronically limited to 155 MPH. However, the gentleman who got me on the Speedway has several performance vehicles (Including the new CTS V) and routinely, somehow, bypasses the preset limitations. (Which he claims are not always accurate.) I am NOT a mechanic so I am not sure of how this accomplished. (I should say I am not mechanic anymore. Used be I cold open the hood on a car, such as my "old" 1966 "442" and know what the parts were under the hood. Heck on a previous Cadi STS-not a V--I was amazed the battery was under the back seat!)

I am sure some of the knowledgable speed demons on here know how this is accomplished.

Dr. Design
08-21-09, 01:25 PM
Wow no tire spin?? What do you have done to the vehicle?

I dont know what he did to remove the speed limiter. Normally one would disconnect the wheel speed sensors. But I dont think that is the case because your dash board isnt lit up like a christmas tree! We can remove the limiter with a reflash, but that too would seem unlikely if was just tinkering around....

Sorry off topic time -
66 442 = cool car!! Restored a few of those in my day. The coolest one I did was a 66 442 with a tri-power package 4-speed car. Also did a few 67 W-30's and a coulple others, even a few racecars!

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Yes, it is listed as being electronically limited to 155 MPH. However, the gentleman who got me on the Speedway has several performance vehicles (Including the new CTS V) and routinely, somehow, bypasses the preset limitations. (Which he claims are not always accurate.) I am NOT a mechanic so I am not sure of how this accomplished. (I should say I am not mechanic anymore. Used be I cold open the hood on a car, such as my "old" 1966 "442" and know what the parts were under the hood. Heck on a previous Cadi STS-not a V--I was amazed the battery was under the back seat!)

I am sure some of the knowledgable speed demons on here know how this is accomplished.

inurok
08-21-09, 05:49 PM
I noticed you had it in regular drive mode (D). From what I have heard and experienced, putting it in sD will give you the quickest 0-60 (and beyond) times. Still very impressive!

Ah SD I didint know what that mode did so i never drove the car that way. ThaNKS

55cadillacking
08-21-09, 06:01 PM
I detect very little difference (if any) in the car's performance between normal and sport mode. My new Audi is a whole different car when you slap the stick to the right. The V's sport mode is lame in comparison. Am I alone here?

inurok
08-24-09, 07:40 PM

F

Exactly that worked!! Thanks

Blades
09-07-09, 04:27 AM
I don't think there is any difference in sD and D in terms of shift points (shift speed in mph). No difference in the converter lockup points either. What is different is the shift pressure (also called the pressure pattern) - D and cruise use Pattern X, while sD and TUTD (manual) use Pattern Y. The desired shift times are different - obviously with sD shifting a few msecs quicker. The strange bit about sD is that it has the same WOT shift mph (mph at which it will perform a 1-2 shift) yet has a WOT shift RPM 100 higher (6400 rpm vs 6300). Kinda makes sense once you consider that the shifter in D commands a slower desired shift time, if the shift rpm were the same as sD.. it could possibly hit fuel cut off.

Also.. on these cars.. there are no reachable values (ie 200% tps, 8192 RPM) that will disable the A/C.. In other words - most cars cut off the A/C when you go WOT or past a given rpm; ours does not.

Using TUTD (manual mode - stands for Touch up, Touch down - referring to cars with paddle shifters but applies to us) would be much better from a roll.. possibly from a stop too (if you are quick enough). It starts locking the converter in 2nd gear @ anything above 25mph. Looks like our stock programming doesn't even lock 3rd gear at all. Naughty naughty!

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-07-09, 01:35 PM
You are correct about the standrd shift tables between modes. What I havent found is where the other information in kept. In sD, when driven hard like on a track, it does lock up the converter and DOES hold the lower gear through the turn. This is the difference... BUT you have to drive the car from hard break to WOT to hard break to WOT a couple of times to kick in the true reason for sD. normal or some aggressive driving around town won't engage this feature.

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-07-09, 01:38 PM
People on the track comment on how well sD works in holding the right gear and I have only got it to kick in once when racing a motorcycle. It is one of those moments you have and you say to yourself, where has THAT shift pattern been all along.

LITTLEELVISDAN
09-09-09, 11:31 PM
interesting thing happened today which kind of supports this thread. Secretly I have been watching this thread thinking i have similar concerns with spinning my tires. Or just not putting out that impressive of performance on the stock tune for about 6 months now. Thought it was the Atlanta heat and wrote it off as summer performance. So I take the car in today for the "check engine" light for the cats. I also complained about the rearend whine still present ever since the put a new one in 35 to 40 k ago. I have 65k on the car.. While it was in I wanted an oil change, the 50k transmission fluid change, and the radiator coolant changed. I also asked for hte blower coolant to be changed. Long story short, cat and diff is on order (warrenty). but they did change all the fluids I requested. $500 bill

Wait for it....

I can now randomly break the tires loose in 1 st gear let off the gas and get back on it and break them loose again (on a sweeping turn). ON A STOCK TUNE.. Its been a verry long time since I could do that.

What ever fluid they changed that was responsible for that, I don't know, but it is really nice. The car runs like it has a race tune, and shifts really nice.

So if you are wondering, just replace every fluid under the hood and see if that clears up your issue.

leija_01
09-10-09, 03:16 AM
My rear end broke... and for the longest, I was hearing that groan and moan... well about a month.... then pop!

getting replaced now.

WillySTS
09-10-09, 01:37 PM
interesting thing happened today which kind of supports this thread. Secretly I have been watching this thread thinking i have similar concerns with spinning my tires. Or just not putting out that impressive of performance on the stock tune for about 6 months now. Thought it was the Atlanta heat and wrote it off as summer performance. So I take the car in today for the "check engine" light for the cats. I also complained about the rearend whine still present ever since the put a new one in 35 to 40 k ago. I have 65k on the car.. While it was in I wanted an oil change, the 50k transmission fluid change, and the radiator coolant changed. I also asked for hte blower coolant to be changed. Long story short, cat and diff is on order (warrenty). but they did change all the fluids I requested. $500 bill

Wait for it....

I can now randomly break the tires loose in 1 st gear let off the gas and get back on it and break them loose again (on a sweeping turn). ON A STOCK TUNE.. Its been a verry long time since I could do that.

What ever fluid they changed that was responsible for that, I don't know, but it is really nice. The car runs like it has a race tune, and shifts really nice.

So if you are wondering, just replace every fluid under the hood and see if that clears up your issue.

I did that, a long time ago, and my car can burn in 1st gear from a takeoff on a stock tune,which I now have, I removed my D3 air filter, wait4me box, and those things made quite a difference. Without them I can only burn on a take off and sometimes on a downshift. With them, any full throttle action in 1st below 4,000 rpm was met with wheel spin from a start and any forced downshift to 1st was wheelspin/fishtail.