: hot weather and hot northstar..HELP!

AKPsiMC03
07-05-03, 01:33 PM
Yesterday I was the DD fro my friends for the fireworks. Well it was 95 degreese out, the AC was on 65 for the whole trip, we were going through the mountains (very steep hills) I had 5 full grown people including myself and 2 coolers full of beer and ice in the car.

Well at points my car was up to 238 degrese coolant temp. It was worrying me cus i know if these things overheat you are bassicly screwed. And I know that its around 240 when the car goes into limp home mode.

Should I be worried if the car got this hot? or is this normal? It was still getting up to 235 on the way home at night when it was 78 and humid.

The cooling systme was flushed 3 months ago, and recently i took the radiator out to do the alternator so there is 3 week old coolant in there along with brang new GM cooling tabs.

There are no leaks, and the coolant level is not low.

I really need to know if I should be worried. the last thing i wanna have to do is take the motor out to replace head gaskets or warped heads.

Katshot
07-05-03, 03:04 PM
Yesterday I was the DD fro my friends for the fireworks. Well it was 95 degreese out, the AC was on 65 for the whole trip, we were going through the mountains (very steep hills) I had 5 full grown people including myself and 2 coolers full of beer and ice in the car.

Well at points my car was up to 238 degrese coolant temp. It was worrying me cus i know if these things overheat you are bassicly screwed. And I know that its around 240 when the car goes into limp home mode.

Should I be worried if the car got this hot? or is this normal? It was still getting up to 235 on the way home at night when it was 78 and humid.

The cooling systme was flushed 3 months ago, and recently i took the radiator out to do the alternator so there is 3 week old coolant in there along with brang new GM cooling tabs.

I really need to know if I should be worried. the last thing i wanna have to do is take the motor out to replace head gaskets or warped heads.

That is on the warm side but the load you had the car under combined with climbing hills etc. could cause your problem. Even though you took out the radiator, did you hose it off too. The cooling fins need to be clean and clear to provide the best cooling possible. Every spring and a couple times during the summer I used to hose off the condensors and radiators to help the stay efficient.

2dfx
07-06-03, 07:30 PM
65? Thats about 18C when the weather is like 34. You're stressing the system a bit. I'd say set the system to 70 at the coolest that way the engine does not have to do too much work!

elwesso
07-06-03, 10:36 PM
You would definitely want to clean it out.... I had 3in of crap in between the radiators.... Made one heck of a mess on the driveway!

AKPsiMC03
07-07-03, 12:11 AM
its been cleanned. i had the radiator out 2 weeks ago

lbgraf
07-09-03, 01:13 AM

Jay,
I had the exact same concern last weekend.. on the 4th, my wife & I were driving in the Rocky Mountains in our '96 DeVille - going uphill between 6000 - 10,000 ft altitude, the temp went as high as 235, and I was getting concerned. This car has just under 36,000 miles and has been serviced like clockwork since new. Today I asked a few service people at the (Buick/Chevy) dealership where I work, and even called a local Cadillac service advisor regarding my concerns. Everyone I talked to said 235 was at the upper end of what they thought was "normal operating range", so guess it's ok. Let me know if you find out any other info.
Lee

Infamous Lac
07-09-03, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't worry you were really stressing it with the steep hills, 5 passengers with cargo and the AC set at 65 degrees. That a bit much in 95 degree temps.

elwesso
07-10-03, 12:55 AM
Those sideways mounted engines can really get hot!!!

acklac7
07-18-03, 02:12 AM
From the research I have gatherd 220's-235 is ok for the Northstar in hot summer time conditions. I had a similar problem, and my engine got up to 250, and then the dash read " Disengaging AC compressor" and then the temp went back down to around 237 (found out later it was pushing a bad alternator) I have had numerous people tell me that the car is fine, and that you dont risk much damage untill you get up into the 260's...and you will DEFINITLEY recive some sort of dash warning if something is going/gone wrong with the engine. What ever you do dont fall for the head-bolt pull gig. My dealer (or X dealer) told me that they thought the bolts had pulled and tried emphattically to sell me a new engine....(never even mentioned time-certs)..I wouldnt do it. I got my car out and have been running it in the 220's-230's with out any problems. My advice? submit ALL symptoms to this board or the cadyinfo board and make sure that you do indeed have a problem, and if you do have a problem make sure the dealers remarks/analysis mirror the ones you have recived on theses boards....doing this saved me ethier a new engine or sellling my Eldo altogether..........FYI: I think that the combination of the added weight + the high temp + the stress of mountin driving put alot of stress on the engine, and it reacted by getting hot...I dont think you have much to worry about, now if you start losing coolant every week or getting frequent dash messages then that is a differnt story...Acklac

lbgraf
07-18-03, 09:53 AM
From the research I have gatherd 220's-235 is ok for the Northstar in hot summer time conditions. I had a similar problem, and my engine got up to 250, and then the dash read " Disengaging AC compressor" and then the temp went back down to around 237 (found out later it was pushing a bad alternator) I have had numerous people tell me that the car is fine, and that you dont risk much damage untill you get up into the 260's...and you will DEFINITLEY recive some sort of dash warning if something is going/gone wrong with the engine. What ever you do dont fall for the head-bolt pull gig. My dealer (or X dealer) told me that they thought the bolts had pulled and tried emphattically to sell me a new engine....(never even mentioned time-certs)..I wouldnt do it. I got my car out and have been running it in the 220's-230's with out any problems. My advice? submit ALL symptoms to this board or the cadyinfo board and make sure that you do indeed have a problem, and if you do have a problem make sure the dealers remarks/analysis mirror the ones you have recived on theses boards....doing this saved me ethier a new engine or sellling my Eldo altogether..........FYI: I think that the combination of the added weight + the high temp + the stress of mountin driving put alot of stress on the engine, and it reacted by getting hot...I dont think you have much to worry about, now if you start losing coolant every week or getting frequent dash messages then that is a differnt story...Acklac

Thanks for your reply. I've been watching the temp occasionally this past week or so because we've had ambient temps around 100. The coolant temp has not exceeded low to mid 220's even in stop & go traffic, so I'm pretty sure everything is normal. I hosed the bugs off the A/C condensor a couple times since that trip to the mountains, and that could have helped too, even though it didn't look like there were all that many stuck on the condensor.

Lee