: Removing the front plate frame?

freshchops
08-20-09, 02:31 AM
I've purchased an STS-V from a Texas owner where they are required to place plates front and back. I'm not required to place a plate on the front here (in Louisiana) and am 50/50 about removing the frame. I don't mind putting an emblem plate there or something, but in all would like to see it gone. So, what's the damage under the frame. It appears to have 4 bolts all the way through the front fender. Are these easy fills and fixes or pretty much irreversible?

freshchops
08-20-09, 02:32 AM
photo....

leija_01
08-20-09, 03:24 AM
mine was the same way, what I did, was whenever I got mine i don't remember if they were rivets or screws, but i drilled thru it, or unscrewed them and went to oreillys and bought some plugs. looks great

did you buy from texas direct?

freshchops
08-20-09, 04:44 AM
mine was the same way, what I did, was whenever I got mine i don't remember if they were rivets or screws, but i drilled thru it, or unscrewed them and went to oreillys and bought some plugs. looks great

Hey, I'll check the plugs out. sounds like a good idea. I really just didn't want to remove it... experimenting to find out it's harder to replace and even harder to fill holes.

Yes, I did buy from Texas Auto Direct, Houston.

inurok
08-20-09, 06:08 AM
yeah here in Delaware we are not required to have a front plate and i contemplated removing the front plate holder but though the plugged holes would bother me. SO I just a roush filler plate on there for now.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/inurok/P1010480.jpg

Florian
08-20-09, 10:55 AM
I cut my plate to fit in the lower grill....looks suh-weet!

F

inurok
08-20-09, 11:14 AM
I cut my plate to fit in the lower grill....looks suh-weet!

F

Cops in NY would love you lol

55cadillacking
08-20-09, 07:54 PM
I'd love to hear more about, or see pics of the plugs...I had resigned myself to the fact I was going to be staring at two holes forever! Any chance I could sneak a look at 'em?

Florian
08-21-09, 12:09 AM
Cops in NY would love you lol

Its got all the info you need....State and number....
Ive been yanked a few times and the cops havent said boo about it.

F

freshchops
08-23-09, 02:07 AM

leija_01: could you possibly post a pic or two of the plugs? Sounds good and I'd love to see what yours is looking like.

inurok: as with yours, a designer plate could look great up front, way to take advantage of the rack! Now, if they only made a mirror black plate w/ "V" emblem on it....... I don't ask too much, do I?

leija_01
08-23-09, 03:10 AM
here ya go!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/leija01/IMG_0165.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/leija01/IMG_0166.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/leija01/IMG_0167.jpg

55cadillacking
08-23-09, 03:38 AM
That looks really cool. Like some sort of advanced sensor system! I dropped by two auto parts places today, but couldn't find anything suitable. I will keep my eye out.

Thanks for posting. Love the look of your car btw.

freshchops
08-23-09, 04:48 AM
WOW, those actually did turn out great. And yeah, because these are riddled with sensor plates, they blend right in..... I'm gonna look for them as well. Either I find them or a plate that does it for me first.

As far as your V, the all black looks killer! Grill, rims, tinted headlights..... you've truly gone to the dark side! All that's missing is a revolving, horizontal red light across the grill that goes, "waoow waoow ... waoow waoow" and a talking computer mechanism that goes by the name of "Kit"...... unless, it's already got that too ?!?!

leija_01
08-24-09, 12:15 AM
WOW, those actually did turn out great. And yeah, because these are riddled with sensor plates, they blend right in..... I'm gonna look for them as well. Either I find them or a plate that does it for me first.

As far as your V, the all black looks killer! Grill, rims, tinted headlights..... you've truly gone to the dark side! All that's missing is a revolving, horizontal red light across the grill that goes, "waoow waoow ... waoow waoow" and a talking computer mechanism that goes by the name of "Kit"...... unless, it's already got that too ?!?!

haha, I'll see about that mod!

also, the headlights arent tinted. I opened the housing on the headlights and painted them to match the car. came out great!

inurok
08-24-09, 06:42 PM
Awesome job with the car but I am still not a fan of the filler hole plugs. I guess I lived in NY too long and am just used to a plate being there lol

jedhead
08-31-09, 11:37 AM
The STS-V I just purchased never had the front plate bracket mounted so the front bumper has no holes in it. California requires a front plate and I don't have the front plate holder. I was planning to put the plate in the passenger side windsheild. However, I was pulled over Saturday night by the CHP (California Highway Patrol). The officer walked around the car twice, then reached in and pulled off the temp registration paper work afixed to the windsheild. The officer then askd for my DL and Insurance paperwork. I handed the stuff to the him. The officer looked over all the documents. Next he walked around the car (this is the third walk around the car) and came up to the drivers side window and told me that I didn't do anything wrong and no citiation will be given (I'm thinking why did you pull me over??!!). He then told me not to forget to attach the front license plate when the plates come in. I felt like I was a teenager again leaving getting pulled over by the police and given fix it tickets for my car because I was leaving a street race (in our favorite deserted industrial area) that just broke up (before we were caught in the act) and had the fastest looking car (71 Chevelle SS)

Bob

freshchops
09-15-09, 02:11 PM
I went to all of my local auto shops and non had the hole plugs if I removed the frame. I couldn't find a plate I liked out there ..... so, I improvised. I like a lot of the Cadillac crest plates out there, but wanted to do something different than repeating the logo. I pulled this one off for under $20. Just bought the plate and emblem separately off of ebay, some screw cap covers latter, an voilą ! Simple, clean and say's it all. I think I'll keep it.

http://www.thegraphixlab.com/TEMP/06-STS-V/06sts_v_PLate-01.jpg

http://www.thegraphixlab.com/TEMP/06-STS-V/06sts_v_PLate-02.jpg