: Did the A6 transmission get you to buy?

Caroutisine
08-19-09, 10:32 PM
I don't want to start an auto versus manual debate because they are both great cars. But I'm curious as to how many V2 owners would have seriously considered this car if it was only available in the M6 like the V1 was. I loved the V1, but one of the things that kept me away from seriously considering one or even test driving it was the fact it was only availabe in a manual.

So regardless of what version you ended up with, did the automatic being available in this car influence your decision to trest drive it?

Gary Wells
08-19-09, 10:48 PM
I wanted an auto, even at double the "gas guzzler tax", so I have to say that it was a major factor in my reason for purchase when I found an auto.

thebigjimsho
08-19-09, 11:08 PM
I would've never bought a personal car without a manual transmission. But at the Cadillac Driving Lab last November, I drove an auto to see how it was. Considering it was the version that set the 'Ring record, I figured why not? Liked it. But I would still get the manual...

Short-Throw
08-19-09, 11:36 PM
I was buying the V2 regardless of what tranny was offered. The automatic was just a better fit for me in this particular car for a variety of reasons including business. This is the very first performance oriented car I have ever purchased with an automatic tranny. After almost 10K on the odometer I have to say I would order it again in automatic. Make no mistake, the paddles are no substitute for a true manual, but they do give you enough control over the RPM for any PUBLIC road situation.

I've never been able to drive a manual performance car in a relaxed state. There's something about holding a stick that makes me turn from Jekyll to Hyde. I love the luxurious amenities this car offers and actually drive it more subdued than I thought I would.

Mike

mik2718
08-20-09, 12:19 AM
Okay, I'm lazy, and I use the V for my daily driver. Haven't even driven a manual since the 70's. There's no possibility I would've bought a V without the auto.

SlvrBullIT
08-20-09, 12:32 AM
Bad car accident + with x2 back surgerys still with Sciatica = A6 unfortunately...

odla
08-20-09, 08:08 AM
a6 is nice but i need the higher top speed.

Prof
08-20-09, 08:24 AM
Auto was essential for me. This is a daily driver and the ease, versatility and comfort of the Tremec 6060 was a clincher. (To say nothing of a 100k warranty on a performance vehicle.)

wfo
08-20-09, 08:42 AM
This auto trans is buttery smooth. A great car all around with it.

neuronbob
08-20-09, 09:34 AM
The auto tranny was a preference, though not a deal-breaker. My V is my daily driver and the wife needs to be able to drive my car in a emergency.

OldRoadDawg
08-20-09, 10:03 AM
I've never been able to drive a manual performance car in a relaxed state. There's something about holding a stick that makes me turn from Jekyll to Hyde. I love the luxurious amenities this car offers and actually drive it more subdued than I thought I would.

Mike
That's funny.
I said I was going to get another manual after my V1, but for other reasons I ended up buying the A6. I have to admit that it (A6) slows me down. I always drove my V1 in one gear lower than needed, just ready to stab the throttle. There's so much more torque on hand with the V2. But I still play with the paddle shifters just to.... well, play.:)
Now if I can just get a feel for when the rev-limiter is about to kick in.

thebigjimsho
08-20-09, 10:56 AM
I can drive a manual in traffic all day if I had to. Just add another foot and an occasional arm movement. All you lazies must have atrophied left legs...

Gary Wells
08-20-09, 11:26 AM
I can drive a manual in traffic all day if I had to. Just add another foot and an occasional arm movement. All you lazies must have atrophied left legs...

I've got 2 left feet now, why would I want a third one?

NeedCTS-v
08-20-09, 11:49 AM
I was considering the A6 and would have purchased one if that was all that was available at the time of my purchase. I found an M6 equipped the way I wanted and with the possibility of future modding, I didn't want to deal with potential torque management issues and or reliability issues. Lastly, I only feel like I'm really driving with a manual.

OldRoadDawg
08-20-09, 12:52 PM
I can drive a manual in traffic all day if I had to.
It's just when you get on those rural WV highways at night that stuff happens :hide:
(oh... that was harsh, wasn't it)

everdegu
08-20-09, 02:43 PM
I have only about 1000 miles on my V, but I knew I wanted an auto. This is my daily driver with its regular routine of dropping my kid off at school and driving in chicago traffic, I wanted the manual, and even test drove the manual (which I loved), but in the end chose the auto. I love it and if I had to do it over again, I would still choose the auto. Makes traffic bearable and keeps my left leg from getting cramped up, which use to happen to me all the time when I was in traffic with my old manual tranny car.

thebigjimsho
08-20-09, 03:45 PM
It's just when you get on those rural WV highways at night that stuff happens :hide:
(oh... that was harsh, wasn't it)
hey, hey, HEY!

Vlakaz
08-20-09, 04:00 PM
The auto is great.. a bit sluggish at times, but nothing a tune won't fix.

Wondering though.. if $$ wasn't an issue, would there be any possible way to retrofit a porsche PDK transmission into the V2? if so, would there really be any advantages?

Just one of those things that popped into my head after reading a bit on how good the PDK is in the various new porsche models.

marktanner
08-21-09, 01:11 AM
I don't care for automatics at all. I bought my '08 CTS partly because it was available with a stick, and ditto the V. I probably would not have considered the car at all if it was auto only.

dg144
08-21-09, 02:17 PM
I was buying the V2 regardless of what tranny was offered. The automatic was just a better fit for me in this particular car for a variety of reasons including business. This is the very first performance oriented car I have ever purchased with an automatic tranny. After almost 10K on the odometer I have to say I would order it again in automatic. Make no mistake, the paddles are no substitute for a true manual, but they do give you enough control over the RPM for any PUBLIC road situation.

Mike

Mike,
You are everywhere, I am going to order a '10 cts-v soon, still unsure of manual vs auto, I do like my M5 manual so we will see.
David

thebigjimsho
08-21-09, 07:14 PM
Mike,
You are everywhere, I am going to order a '10 cts-v soon, still unsure of manual vs auto, I do like my M5 manual so we will see.
David
If the auto could rifle off immediate up and downshifts, I'd strongly consider it. As is, I'd stick with the manual...

Short-Throw
08-21-09, 08:19 PM
Mike,
David

Hi David,

You'll have two cars to bring to Track Attack, both equally menacing! ;)

Mike

zevee
08-22-09, 08:40 AM
my enthusiasm for auto wears off after 5 minutes of a testdrive, I wanted 4 seater that is fun and fast, I passed on GTR because there is no manual.
Love the M6 double clutch makes iteasier to shift than most 4 cylindres.
remember with that torque u can keep it in 4th when you just rolling .

backup
08-22-09, 09:24 AM
I bought because it was available with a manual.
Yesterday I did a no-lift shift from 3rd to 4th, and caught it just right. Had enough wheel spin in 4th that traction control engaged hard. It was magical. I won't pass up that experience!

uncletoad
08-22-09, 12:00 PM
For me, the manual is what makes this care really special. And the transmission is so nice that it is a pleasure in itself. Double clutching is really fun in this car because you have to get it right with all that torque. If you over blip you unsettle the car badly: when you get it right it is heaven. I love having to really get engaged, puns are always intended, in driving the car to be smooth, fast, and controlled. God, I love this car and its transmission.
:D

thebigjimsho
08-22-09, 03:35 PM
^^^Youse last 3 are the bees knees^^^

Mike 09 V
08-22-09, 06:06 PM
I'm an old guy and how can you have a stick shift Caddy? Learned to drive on a stick shift '49 Plymouth wagon, then drove a '56 Chev 3 speed stick, then had a '57 Chev w/3sp stick and then a '63 Ranchero with a stick, and then a '65 Caliente 4sp, then a 65 Ranchero 4sp, then a '69 Boss 302 4sp, then a '79 Z-28 4sp. I had other cars in there too with autos. In the 60's 4 speeds were the thing but when you went to the drags the pros all ran autos. Tell you something? Anyway, I am tired of shifting and love the auto, wouldn't have bought the car otherwise. I test drove an '05 V when they first arrived and didn't bite because it was only manual. Nurbergring was an auto, good enough for me. Seems like the tuners can make them even quicker but what that will do to the trans over time we will see. I do not begrudge you guys for manually mixing the gears, that's why they make both kinds. It's cool having one of the hottest cars in the world. What's not to like?

thebigjimsho
08-22-09, 06:14 PM
Lazy!!! :bouncy:

uncletoad
08-22-09, 08:53 PM
For me, the manual is what makes this care really special. And the transmission is so nice that it is a pleasure in itself. Double clutching is really fun in this car because you have to get it right with all that torque. If you over blip you unsettle the car badly: when you get it right it is heaven. I love having to really get engaged, puns are always intended, in driving the car to be smooth, fast, and controlled. God, I love this car and its transmission.
:D

cts-v2009
08-23-09, 07:30 PM
for me i dont know how to drive manual cars ... so auto is my choice ,,,

thebigjimsho
08-23-09, 08:37 PM
you should learn, especially if you ever get to run in The Amazing Race...

UnsafeAtAnySpd
08-25-09, 04:43 AM
They should've kept the V2 manual-only like the V1...

neuronbob
08-25-09, 01:34 PM
^^^^
I lived in Cheyenne for 5 years in the late 70's-early 80's as a junior high-schooler. Loved it there.

Back on topic....
Still happy with my auto V. :thumbsup:
In an ideal world, I'd have a manual for autocrossing or tracking, and the auto as a daily driver. However, I'm not a baller, so....

Kadonny
08-25-09, 03:55 PM
I had the manual in the V1, an auto in my STS-V and now an auto in the V2. I must say, I am starting to miss my manual trans and all the fun you have driving it.

There are days you want it, and days you don't but it always seems I am torn about which one I would rather have.

thebigjimsho
08-25-09, 05:35 PM
^^^^
I lived in Cheyenne for 5 years in the late 70's-early 80's as a junior high-schooler. Loved it there.

Back on topic....
Still happy with my auto V. :thumbsup:
In an ideal world, I'd have a manual for autocrossing or tracking, and the auto as a daily driver. However, I'm not a baller, so....
Not a baller, not even rich. Just be a good planner...

RogersV
08-25-09, 09:35 PM
I would not have bought this V2 if it wasn't available in an auto trans. My first new performance car was a 1966 Hemi Charger, auto. Next 1970 Hemi Charger, stick,(pain in the ars). For this fine machine I traded a 03 Saleen convertible, auto and a 06 Charger SRT8, auto. As you can see I'm partial to the auto trans.

thebigjimsho
08-26-09, 12:50 AM
Sorry to hear that...

AuPanda
08-26-09, 09:38 AM
I still am surprised that Caddy ever offered a manual, but then a Cadillac offering such a high performance car was a bit shocking for me as well.

I could give a plethora of reasons why I picked an auto:
- Wife can only drive an auto
- I have to deal with LA traffic
- Allows for quick get-aways after a drive-by when one hand is already occupied with a bang stick (j/k)

But truth be told I just prefer it in this car.

Malibu310
08-28-09, 11:52 AM
My reason - sciatic nerve - upright seating position... I had a Aston Vantage with a manual that was fun to wind out near redline and had more of a layed down seating position... the manual hurt my leg after just a few minutes in the V2 and I found the low redline made the shift points too soon with embarrasing results hitting the limiter. Now that I've discovered the Sport Mode auto shifting is much better than simply placing the automatic in Drive I like the Auto choice much more.

Rick H

abbas
08-28-09, 05:22 PM
The manual is what did it for me. If the car did not come in a manual, I would have passed. I will say that initially, I was worried about the manual until I took it for a test drive and I was sold. If the GTR came in a manual, I would have seriously thought about it. My last two cars were a 2003 BMW M3 and a 2006 Saleen Mustang Extreme (550hp upgraded to 600hp) and this car beats them both in performance and handling (IMHO).

CTSV_510
08-29-09, 11:31 AM
a6 is nice but i need the higher top speed.

Really??

thebigjimsho
08-29-09, 01:15 PM
Really??
My ego would have to agree...

RWFJR
08-29-09, 04:11 PM
Auto all the way. Too hard to shift with a drink in my hand! :alchi::histeric:

thebigjimsho
08-29-09, 04:55 PM
Auto all the way. Too hard to shift with a drink in my hand! :alchi::histeric:
Make sure to buyback your V and sell it for parts...

nradcad
08-29-09, 05:01 PM
Haven't even driven a manual since the 70's. .

Me either...

thebigjimsho
08-29-09, 07:26 PM
Me either...
You guys don't have to crank start them anymore so that's nice...