: All Season Tires

Caroutisine
08-19-09, 09:16 PM
Does anyone have any expierence with all season tires on the V2? I don't want to switch between winter and summer tires like I did with my 2005 STS. I still have the winter rims and tires from the STS, but know that they will not fit on the V. I'm not looking for ultimate snow traction, but don't want to drive on hockey pucks like I expierenced on my Vettes when the temperature gets down to either side of zero. I want a quiet smooth ride with tires that can be used year round. I know the V2 is not the ideal winter driver, so I have a 4WD for snowy days. I'm looking for all season tires to replace the PS2's. Not many choices from the online dealers like tire rack and discount tire for this car.

Maybe I should just park it for the Minnesota winter? I have been really impressed with this cars handling in the wet versus ny STS and think it may be ok for most of the winter if it has tires with a rubber compound that does not turn hard in cold temps.

thebigjimsho
08-19-09, 09:21 PM
I suggest switching to a CTS4. Why not get all-seasons for the winter? You don't get a car of this caliber and then compromise with crap tires just for convenience...

Looney100
08-19-09, 09:39 PM
If you're buying a second set of tires for the WINTER, why not get WINTER tires. Why buy all-seasons if you're using them for the winter only?

Caroutisine
08-19-09, 09:58 PM
I would use them year round. I want to be done with switching tires or putting cars away for the season. The V would just be driven when the conditions are reasonable. I have driven on summer tires in cold weather (not snow covered roads) and it's not fun or probably safe. I didn't want to hijack the thread about short tire life so started this one.

If I'm already about half way through the stockers at 5,000 miles I would ditch them for a good set of all seasons, even with the performance loss.

thebigjimsho
08-19-09, 10:04 PM
I just wouldn't spend all that money for the fastest sedan on the planet and then compromise it for convenience...

Caroutisine
08-19-09, 10:24 PM
I just wouldn't spend all that money for the fastest sedan on the planet and then compromise it for convenience...

I agree, but it was not that much more $ than my STS was. GM did a great job on this car. I feel very lucky to be able to own one at this time. I'm just looking for a good compromise because of where I live and the conditions I'm willing to drive it in. It's my daily driver, and I would like to use it as much as I can within reason.

neuronbob
08-19-09, 11:05 PM
I am someone who usually just buys all-season tires and calls it a day, even though I live in the secondary snow belt area east of Cleveland and get a lot of that famous lake-effect snow. The roads are plowed around here quickly enough after even a major snowstorm that all-seasons are just fine for use on a daily driver, even a RWD daily driver. With the amount of power this car puts to the wheels, though, all-seasons would simply spin in anything other than the lightest snow in this car. Using this logic, I chose to buy my first ever set of snows, which are in my basement awaiting install.

Even if I were interested in all-seasons, I haven't found any in the V's standard size.

Just my $0.02.

Prof
08-20-09, 07:09 AM
This is a serious issue for some of us.

I already have two vehicles that are only driven in fair weather and they usually sit for six months a year. (Northern Illinois) The V2 is a daily driver and not a garage queen for me. I have chosen to get an extra set of 20 inch wheels (maybe Mesh 8's yum) for the fair weather time of the year, and am replacing the OEM tires with Pirelli Sottozeros.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+240+Sottozero&frontTire=54VR9240SZXLV2&rearTire=835VR9240SZXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

So the OEM will get trashed when the Sottozeros go on and when the snow clears and the chemicals have finally been washed from the roads and some of the major pot holes have been filled...the 20 inch rims will go on with new tires (not researched yet).

Replacing the rim and tire is less complicated for me and it protects the more expensive fair weather rims from the horrendous beating of our winter roads, while providing better traction during our extended winters here.

Just my approach, but it seems to serve a lot of my preferences while dealing with the winter issues.

neuronbob
08-20-09, 08:29 AM
^^^^^
+1 to this approach. I purchased a spare set of stock wheels (I LOVE the stock wheels) expressly for winter use. That way, it's just a simple swap each winter.

thebigjimsho
08-20-09, 09:53 AM
For the half hour it takes to swap twice a year, it's well worth it. Or pay a shop $30 twice a year. Some tire shops will do the switchover for free if you buy the winter tires from them. Town Fair Tire does this up here in the Northeast...

SRT8/BMW
08-20-09, 10:46 AM
while I agree with the above posts--why have this car if you can't have the performance of summer tires- (which is what I will do and I will park it for the winter)- you may want to see if the the eagle F1 All Seasons come in the right size.

I have them on my BMW 335 Xi (AWD) and they are great year round--including giving me 1.7 60 ft. times at the strip.

pmsteinm
08-20-09, 12:11 PM
I want high performance all season tires for the winter here in NC. Summer tires are scary when the temps are below 50, but it doesn't get cold enough here (or snow) to make winter/snow tires worth it. HP all season tires aren't that much worse than summer (at least the Pilot Sport A/S and GY F1 A/S tires I had on the V1 weren't). They will probably spin more (but so do the PS2's until they have time to warm up), but that's not necessarily a bad thing :) I just know that in colder weather the HP AS tires blew the F1 GS-D3's I had on the V1 out of the water. In the summer the GS-D3 was better, but not by a huge amount (1.2 g vs 1.15 on my favorite turn...big deal).

For now my plan is to have my carpool mate drive on the mornings when its in the 40/30s, and I'll drive extra in the summer to make up for it. Fortunately in NC you still have "warm" days in the winter so I can enough drive a lot then (mainly just not in the early morning).

I got my V in April, and there were a couple of days where where it was cold enough that the PS2's felt really unsafe (what's the point of those huge brakes if you can't use them). If they made a HP AS tire in the stock sizes I'd get them...if they turned out to sacrifice too much I would get a 2nd set of OEM wheels to put PS2's on for the rest of the year...

The problem is right now there is only a winter tire for the V....and they sacrifice way too much in performance.

thebigjimsho
08-20-09, 02:41 PM
I know that performance tires don't work as well in colder weather but I have never seen them get scary. They certainly won't grip as well as when it's warm but they certainly are safer than if it was just raining...

Barry626
08-20-09, 03:01 PM
For the half hour it takes to swap twice a year, it's well worth it. Or pay a shop $30 twice a year. Some tire shops will do the switchover for free if you buy the winter tires from them. Town Fair Tire does this up here in the Northeast...

Better try per wheel. Those days are over!
I went to Sam's Club & they charge $60.00 per change over.
I went to my Cadillac Dealer & they charge $80.00 per change over
Pep Boys was worst yet $100.00 per change over. Damn $200 a year.

I went with 4 - ASA GT1 from tirereack $199 ea. & 4 snows.
$1700 is a small price to pay for Safety & peace of mind!

thebigjimsho
08-20-09, 06:16 PM
Do it Urself fo cheap dollaz!

Caroutisine
08-21-09, 09:52 PM
Ok. When I took delivery on my V in March, the sales manager asked me if I was going to drive it year round. I told him I was not sure. He said to let him know if I was going to and he would help with tires since the car has summer tires from the factory. Said they are hard to find and had done this for one other V that they sold earlier. I'm assuming that they were talking about winter tires, but will check with them again and report back.

rp161
08-25-09, 09:34 AM
The following will stir the pot. Every car owner will make changes for his or her own needs. I has just completed
an extensive research on a/s tires for the v2. I live in the northeast and summer tires on a rear wheel daily driver
just wont cut it. The tire companies are not producing at this time an a/s tire combination that will fit our staggered fitment. So I purchased a stock front rim 19 x 9 and put a 255-40-19 (asymmetric) 27 inch diameter a/s tire on it and replaced the rear summer tire on the back. Hoping this would not throw any kind of codes. I had to sync the new sensor with the others. After driving over a hundred miles without any problems I knew the spare tire issue was solved. During this test there was no noticable change in handling but I was not overly aggressive. It could be possible to run the same size tires all the way around using the proper sizes. I guess there could be some geometry issues for the difference in the .5 rim. This may not be for everyone but this is what I did.

Kadonny
08-25-09, 11:17 AM
I just purchased a set of the Sottozeros for winter. I'm going to throw them on the stock rims, then get my second set of stockers (got them from Ketzer, thanks Brian!) black hyper-chromed and put my summer times back on them. That way I can just do the swap each year.

FYI, the Sottozeros are still on clearance at Tirerack for the fronts only. Sounds like they are clearing inventory for some reason, but I don't know why, especially since it's just the fronts.

neuronbob
08-25-09, 12:29 PM
The Sottozeros have been on "clearance" at Tire Rack since March. :) Don't know why, but they have been.

As for all-seasons for our cars....I'm sure eventually the tire makers will get around to it. Until then, enjoy your PS2s and perhaps be a squeaky wheel to Michelin or one of the other companies.

Caroutisine
08-25-09, 08:22 PM
Ok I got the answer on what the local dealer recommends. Although Discount Tire and other online stores don't associate them with our cars, Michelin does make both the front and rear sizes for the V2 in an all season tire called the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Problem is that the rear size in this tire are run flats. I won't put run flats again on any car I have, even if there is no spare.

PsychoV
08-26-09, 08:04 PM
Move to Florida.

thebigjimsho
08-26-09, 09:25 PM
This really shouldn't be such an issue, people...

FastRunner
08-26-09, 11:17 PM
Shouldn't traction control and taking it easy on the gas pedal be enough for the winter?

Kadonny
08-27-09, 09:55 AM
Shouldn't traction control and taking it easy on the gas pedal be enough for the winter?

No way. The stock tires are not fit to be out in weather below freezing at all, let alone any frozen precipitation.

Kadonny
08-27-09, 09:56 AM
This really shouldn't be such an issue, people...

Jim, why's that?

thebigjimsho
08-27-09, 02:11 PM
Jim, why's that?
How much for these cars? How much for snows? How much to swap if you don't want to do it yourself?

And...my V1 was driven its first 2 winters. My TC is driven for work so if we did get snow, I'd just drive that. But my V did just fine on all the other days but those 7 or 8 where the roads were snow covered. Driving on hi-po tires in the cold is no more dangerous than driving them in the rain...

thatcoder
08-27-09, 03:25 PM
How about the Michelin - Pilot® Sport A/S Plus?

http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireDetails.xhtml?cid=2651450 Rear
http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireDetails.xhtml?cid=2651473 Front

Caroutisine
08-27-09, 07:50 PM
The A/S Plus are run flat only (ZP) on the rear sizes. As far as summer tires being ok in the cold...ummm...no.

Dealer now says they can't find any all season tires that are not runflats. I don't know what they sold the other guy that purchased a V from them. Probably the A/S Plus.

And I'm done switching tires for the seasons. I may drive on winter tires year round when the PS2's wear out if there is no all season replacement available.

I will see how the PS2's act in the cold, but on my Vettes the summer tires were NOT safe. For now, I may just put more miles on the 4x4 this winter :)

Yeqon
08-27-09, 08:43 PM
Anybody driven the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3's in the winter? That is what I am on right now. I didn't want to buy new tires until next summer, until I buy some high preformance summer, tires unless I have.

Barry626
08-27-09, 09:15 PM
No way. The stock tires are not fit to be out in weather below freezing at all, let alone any frozen precipitation.

:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
08-28-09, 12:09 AM
I must have some uber-secret compounds on my PS2s. Because I was able to drive in 32 degree weather and the tires actually had grip. Funny how that happened. What are the odds?

Look, if you're a numbnut who goes out and tries to drift his V on summer tires in cold weather, you may get in trouble. But the PS2s are safer in the cold than they are in the rain. Don't let the lawyer-speak fool you...

Kadonny
08-28-09, 08:58 AM
I must have some uber-secret compounds on my PS2s. Because I was able to drive in 32 degree weather and the tires actually had grip. Funny how that happened. What are the odds?

Look, if you're a numbnut who goes out and tries to drift his V on summer tires in cold weather, you may get in trouble. But the PS2s are safer in the cold than they are in the rain. Don't let the lawyer-speak fool you...

See, now you are generalizing a bit. I'll even say they are pretty good at 32 degrees. But did you use them when it was 20 degrees or even lower? Did you use them when there was some patches of frozen ice on the road?

Guess, what. I did and you can't compare it to rain. That's just silly. I used my car last year once when the temps were in the low 20's (soon after I got it) with a wind chill in single digits. Guess what, it sucked. You can hear the damn things chattering when you turn hard at low speeds. Next winter take your car out in 20 degree weather to a parking lot. Sit still and turn the wheel hard and report back to me what happens. The tires chatter on the cold pavement. Does it get better when the warm up upon driving? Yes, but there is no way day in day out I would want to consistently drive these tires in winter months when the temperatures are well below freezing. You can call it lawyer speak, I call it truth since I experienced it fist hand.

And don't even talk about snow. I got stuck 2 years ago in my STS-V in a small snow storm. Not even 2 inches. I couldn't get my car moving up a slight incline from a dead stop with my summer GSD3s on it. The rear just kept kicking out and the tires just spun. I ended up reversing down the incline, parking it it on the side of the street and calling my wife to pick me up.

That will never happen to me again and that's another reason why I got the Sottozeros. Bottom line, winter tires work.

Looney100
08-28-09, 06:43 PM

Neither of those helps you when you want to stop.

thebigjimsho
08-29-09, 12:04 PM
See, now you are generalizing a bit. I'll even say they are pretty good at 32 degrees. But did you use them when it was 20 degrees or even lower? Did you use them when there was some patches of frozen ice on the road?

Guess, what. I did and you can't compare it to rain. That's just silly. I used my car last year once when the temps were in the low 20's (soon after I got it) with a wind chill in single digits. Guess what, it sucked. You can hear the damn things chattering when you turn hard at low speeds. Next winter take your car out in 20 degree weather to a parking lot. Sit still and turn the wheel hard and report back to me what happens. The tires chatter on the cold pavement. Does it get better when the warm up upon driving? Yes, but there is no way day in day out I would want to consistently drive these tires in winter months when the temperatures are well below freezing. You can call it lawyer speak, I call it truth since I experienced it fist hand.

And don't even talk about snow. I got stuck 2 years ago in my STS-V in a small snow storm. Not even 2 inches. I couldn't get my car moving up a slight incline from a dead stop with my summer GSD3s on it. The rear just kept kicking out and the tires just spun. I ended up reversing down the incline, parking it it on the side of the street and calling my wife to pick me up.

That will never happen to me again and that's another reason why I got the Sottozeros. Bottom line, winter tires work.
On my PS2s? No. But I did on my F1s. And again, if the roads are clear, there's no problem, just don't go all out. Now, one day I did try to back out of my driveway with a small cover of snow and it took me 10 minutes. But once on the clear roads, I was fine.

Again, I fully endorse getting a 2nd set of all-seasons or winters for the off-season, but it's perfectly fine to drive on summer tires if you understand the limitations and are careful...

Caroutisine
08-29-09, 02:48 PM
Cool. I hope the PS2's are better than the other summer tires I have expierenced in the cold. I don't expect to use them when there's snow on the roads.