: 1968 CDV Rear and Front Seat Removal

randyk09cdv
08-19-09, 04:17 PM
Just getting into cleaning my refurbed 68, original owner. Was sitting in storage for 21 years and developed a small case of mold. Before killing my friends, thought it would be best to thoroughly clean this baby, which would include removing the seats, power cleaning rugs, upholstery, etc. First step is to disassemble the seats. Read posts here, but wanted to get any specific insights on 68 work.

Here are some questions. All opinions and info greatly welcomed:

1. How do you remove the rear bench seat? Do you use the push back and up method, then undo bolts?

2. Front power bench seems straightforward. I believe that I can get it to tilt to access bolts, but any tips or watch-outs for me?

3. Assuming that I'm keeping the original seats (cushion and fabric) for now, what would you recommend for deep cleaning? Extraction cleaning? Simple vacuum and wipe?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

R

Angry Matt
08-19-09, 08:15 PM
The seats should come out like you described. I've had a '70 and I can't see it being much different. Just be aware of the wires to the seat motors in the front. They should have a harness to unplug them. If they are cloth seats, the best method is extraction. I've done it to all my cars and if the seats are out it makes it that much easier. Just test the fabric to make sure it won't bleed if it's two tone. I don't know if it could be that year, and if it feels brittle or dried out like it may rip, just vacuum it instead or maybe a wet cloth. Never overwet it and make sure you suck as much water out as possible to prevent more mold. Check the padding under the carpet, that's where the mold will be and if it's bad I always rip them out. I'd rather have the road noise than the musty smell.