: V2 in Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car test

wh921
08-19-09, 11:12 AM
Haven't seen this posted yet. The V2 ranked higher than a ZR1 in Motor Trend's new comparison test!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0910_2009_best_drivers_car/cadillac_cts_v.html

4gear70
08-19-09, 11:46 AM
Best Quote:

"It made a lot of good noises... good low rumbling... macho, manly.. and God Bless American noises!" - Randy Pobst

NeedCTS-v
08-19-09, 11:51 AM
Thanks for sharing! They really liked it.

RWFJR
08-19-09, 01:40 PM
Sure it was better...It was Thunder Gray...Like mine!!! :histeric:

OldRoadDawg
08-19-09, 02:41 PM
Best Quote:

"It made a lot of good noises... good low rumbling... macho, manly.. and God Bless American noises!" - Randy Pobst

Also heard it bouncing off the rev-limiter a few times
Not that I've done that.... :bigroll:

Luna.
08-19-09, 03:04 PM
Also heard it bouncing off the rev-limiter a few times
Not that I've done that.... :bigroll:

LMAO. I have to admit, I've done the same myself...

Friggin V1 revs a lot higher and it takes some time to adjust. :cool:

And I'm not sure I care just how "drivable" the Mazda Miata is--there is NO WAY ON EARTH I would EVER take that car over my '09 CTS-V (or any of the other cars in that test for that matter...)

neuronbob
08-19-09, 04:08 PM
Oh c'mon, you'd at least TRY the Cayman S, wouldn't you? I'd sure love to have that car as part of my stable. :) The Miata is a lot like the S2000 (with less power)...a little scalpel of a roadster. I'll take onathose too. These comparos make me wish on some days I were a professional athlete rather than a geek/doc, I'm too "poor" to have more than three cars in my stable right now, LOL!

"Thank God for American Noises", indeed. I am thoroughly enjoying my V and am proud to own one.

Tony407
08-19-09, 07:14 PM
Nice! They thought the same thing about the auto transmission as I did when I first took delivery. Thank god for Wait4Me's tune - this changed the character of the car considerably. I would love to hear their impressions of a tuned car vs. stock.

Tony

wh921
08-19-09, 07:52 PM
there is NO WAY ON EARTH I would EVER take that car over my '09 CTS-V (or any of the other cars in that test for that matter...)

I have a hard time seeing how a Miata can be a better driver's car when it has no power and sounds like an econobox, but I'd certainly jump at an opportunity to drive a Cayman, R8, or ZR1.

Rodya234
08-19-09, 07:57 PM
Only a few real surprises here:

1. The CTS-V somehow beat the ZR1.
2. The Shelby somehow beat the ZR1.
3. The Audi R8 didn't win. (I knew it would be highly rated though)

Tony407
08-19-09, 08:01 PM
I have a hard time seeing how a Miata can be a better driver's car when it has no power and sounds like an econobox, but I'd certainly jump at an opportunity to drive a Cayman, R8, or ZR1.

A friend of mine has an older turbo Miata with plenty of suspension, exhaust, and drivetrain mods. I tell you that thing feels a lot faster than it is. It's very visceral and corners like a go-kart. Not so sure I'd own one, but I certainly look forward to those days when we drive somewhere in his car!

Tony

NormV
08-20-09, 01:33 PM
Other than the XFR beating the V down the front straight, Cayman is a pretty amazing machine. I have not been in the S yet but don't think the Miata should be rated! :)

Norm

Only a few real surprises here:

1. The CTS-V somehow beat the ZR1.
2. The Shelby somehow beat the ZR1.
3. The Audi R8 didn't win. (I knew it would be highly rated though)

Luna.
08-20-09, 01:52 PM
Oh c'mon, you'd at least TRY the Cayman S, wouldn't you? I'd sure love to have that car as part of my stable. :) The Miata is a lot like the S2000 (with less power)...a little scalpel of a roadster. I'll take onathose too. .

LOL. Apologies for my miscommunication. I meant that I'd take each and every car in that comparison OVER the Miata every day on of the week and twice on Sunday. It really doesn't matter to me how wonderful it is to toss around--with that feeble of power, it really doesn't matter to me.

NeedCTS-v
08-20-09, 02:33 PM
LOL. Apologies for my miscommunication. I meant that I'd take each and every car in that comparison OVER the Miata every day on of the week and twice on Sunday. It really doesn't matter to me how wonderful it is to toss around--with that feeble of power, it really doesn't matter to me.

But you can go around "any" turn at full throttle without risking loss of control or any bodily harm. That sounds like fun to me...oh wait, let me think about that for a second.

4gear70
08-20-09, 08:05 PM
But you can go around "any" turn at full throttle without risking loss of control or any bodily harm. That sounds like fun to me...oh wait, let me think about that for a second.

Yeah, and speaking of "fun to drive", take a look at that goofy circle chart on page 17 of the article. It seems that only the Cayman, R8 and Miata are worthy of this 'FUN to Drive' title... :bigroll:

commander112
08-20-09, 09:26 PM
Seriously, guys stop ripping on the Miata. I bet most of you have never even been in one. I used to own a '99 Miata that I supercharged and did plenty of other mods to. It was a great car. It was not V fast but it was plenty quick to run with Boxster's and C4 Vettes up to illegal speeds and then on the twisties it would run hard and fast. Don't knock them until you try them. I used to track that car and autocross it too. It was a great car in a very different way than the V. Really kind of miss that car and if I had more space and time to drive it I'd like to still have one in the garage.

Luna.
08-20-09, 09:40 PM
Seriously, guys stop ripping on the Miata. I bet most of you have never even been in one. I used to own a '99 Miata that I supercharged and did plenty of other mods to. It was a great car. It was not V fast but it was plenty quick to run with Boxster's and C4 Vettes up to illegal speeds and then on the twisties it would run hard and fast. Don't knock them until you try them. I used to track that car and autocross it too. It was a great car in a very different way than the V. Really kind of miss that car and if I had more space and time to drive it I'd like to still have one in the garage.

Sorry commander112, no disrespect intended.

I don't doubt that it's fun for many people. It's just NOT my personal cup of tea. :duck:

wh921
08-20-09, 10:36 PM

I'm sure the Miata's handling is a lot of fun, and I'm sure it's a blast to drive if you slap on a turbo or supercharger. But stock for stock I just don't see how they could rank it higher than a V or ZR1.

commander112
08-21-09, 08:34 AM
All I'm trying to tell you and all the article is trying to tell you is the Miata is a great car. A great car in a much different way than the V, Z06, R8 or Cayman are. It is a car for people that are in a different position than we are in life. Expand your mind and think about being in a position to only spend $20K on a car but yet you want something to push around a track and go fast. You want new and you want sporty. The Miata is the car of choice. That is all I'm saying and that is all the article is saying. Would you take a Z06 in a head to head battle sure you would but you could also buy a Miata for every day in the week for what the Z06 costs and do you get that much more out of the Z06? Both are fun cars to drive.

Luna.
08-21-09, 12:29 PM
All I'm trying to tell you and all the article is trying to tell you is the Miata is a great car. A great car in a much different way than the V, Z06, R8 or Cayman are. It is a car for people that are in a different position than we are in life. Expand your mind and think about being in a position to only spend $20K on a car but yet you want something to push around a track and go fast. You want new and you want sporty. The Miata is the car of choice. That is all I'm saying and that is all the article is saying. Would you take a Z06 in a head to head battle sure you would but you could also buy a Miata for every day in the week for what the Z06 costs and do you get that much more out of the Z06? Both are fun cars to drive.

I think that's a fair point.

I also think, however, that many people, definitely myself (;)), feel that there's a certain minimum level of HP to be included in that group of cars and the Miata, while fun, just doesn't qualify! :duck:

I recall the old "Monster Miata's" of the early-to-mid-'90s---the ones where they were dumping the 5.0L Mustang motor in (actually, I think they do it up to '05...). Yeah, those were pretty entertaining cars and THOSE models might qualify, but not the stockers! :p

concorso
08-21-09, 01:15 PM
A non-supercharged ariel atom doesnt make alot of hp, either, but its a rocket on a track. It wouldnt meet the hp level, but Id be surprised if anything on that list could keep up with it...

wh921
08-21-09, 01:57 PM
A non-supercharged ariel atom doesnt make alot of hp, either, but its a rocket on a track. It wouldnt meet the hp level, but Id be surprised if anything on that list could keep up with it...

The Atom doesn't make a lot of power, but with its low weight it still has very fast acceleration.

The Miata takes over 7 seconds to hit 60, which is as slow as some mini-vans these days. IMHO, if the car is that lacking in the acceleration department, I just can't imagine it being much fun to drive, no matter how great the handling.

aco
08-21-09, 02:19 PM
The Atom doesn't make a lot of power, but with its low weight it still has very fast acceleration.

The Miata takes over 7 seconds to hit 60, which is as slow as some mini-vans these days. IMHO, if the car is that lacking in the acceleration department, I just can't imagine it being much fun to drive, no matter how great the handling.

I think you'ved hit the nail on the head. The miata is a great handling car. I think the article lost sight of its objective in finding the Best "Driver's" Car. That title should encompass more than just handling. Other factors need to be considered. Or perhaps they should have less subjective wieghting on the handling aspect.