: Digital Dash issue.

robb257731
08-19-09, 12:48 AM
The trip odometer on my digital dash is blank....as in it doesn't light up. Everything else works. Actually, the other day it came on out of the blue when I started the car, but it flickered (the rest of the display was fine), and while the 0 showed, it just stayed at 0. Then when I started the car again, it was just blank again.

Is there any way to repair it?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
08-19-09, 01:07 AM
Mine gimps out every now and then as well. I will lose individual segments randomly and then they will sporadically come back on. Its a known issue but I do not believe there is a way to fix it without replacing the whole unit.

robb257731
04-09-10, 10:18 AM
Hmmm

I had the Brougham out on Monday and the trip odometer flickered on and off....just showed 0. This morning I started the car up and BAM the trip odometer was lit AND showing mileage. Normally when it flickers on it's set at 0 and stays at 0. This morning it actually stayed on and counted the miles as I drove to work. When I put the car in park, it went out.

On another note, my radio crapped out on me before I put it away for the winter. The power antenna doesn't work, but it's 3/4 of the way up. The radio worked when I bought the car last spring, although it had quite a bit of annoying static. Last fall it just stopped working....well, it powered up, but it was just all static...wouldn't pick up a station if I was parked next to the radio station itself (and that's no exaggeration as there's a radio station down the street from my house, and I tried it).

This morning when I saw the trip odometer on and working, I thought "hey, let's see if Jeebus is giving me a hand and fixed the radio." Sure enough, I turned on the radio AND IT WORKED....although still had static. The reception faded in and out when I was driving in an area with tall buildings. I turned it off before getting to work as it was annoying me,

As above, when I put the car in park the trip odometer blinked off. I tried the radio and got nothing but static.

Does this make sense to anyone? Is it some kind of grounding issue? Has anyone had anything similar happen?

DopeStar 156
04-09-10, 12:38 PM
Fuse maybe? See what does what in the fusebox....

robb257731
04-09-10, 12:50 PM
worth a shot...I'll haul out the FSM when I get home.

brougham
04-09-10, 09:30 PM
Its the dash itself that's screwed up. The odometer can go like that too. Don't bother checking the service manual it'll just tell you to replace it and if it was a fuse it wouldn't work at all.

robb257731
04-10-10, 06:09 PM
Hmmm.
I talked to the service advisor at my dealership, and he told me that the parts manager fixes these on the side. I'm going to see what he says. Funny, the thing started working again today, then blinked off. Annoying.
On another note, I finally figured out the big mystery with the radio. I took the car to a guy who has a few of these cars and a truly amazing garage full of parts...I asked hi to show me where the antenna connection is, as I've never been able to find the plug. He took a look...turns out someone has cut the power wires going to the antenna. Furthermore, it looks like prior to finding the RIGHT wire to cut, whoever did it cut the coaxial cable that runs from the antenna to the receiver. Not only that, but it was cut off below the connecter end from the receiver to the antenna. Therefore I'm going to have to get a new cable running from the receiver to the antenna.

greencadillacmatt
04-11-10, 05:08 AM
It's always strange the things that suddenly work on these old boats. The original radio in my DeVille would only show part of the time/radio station. Part of the display didn't work. One morning while driving to school the whole display just popped on out of no-where. Went back to half-display after school. My windshield washer pump did the same thing. Didn't work, then did work. Only that stayed working. :)

robb257731
04-12-10, 01:30 PM
LOL, I get excited everytime I turn on the ignition and the trip odometer comes on. It blinked on when I started the car on my way to work this morning (daily driver's in the shop). $100.00 says it's off when I start the car to go home.