: bumper stumper

robb257731
08-18-09, 11:45 PM
I've just noticed that the bumper on my 91 Brougham is not the right bumper for the car. I bought it from a collision repair shop,and they told me that it had been hit in the driver quarter panel, and the bumper had to to be replaced. The guy told me that it took him forever to find a bumper (and I'm in Canada, so I believe that...not millions of them up here), and he finally found one. Well...it's not the right bumper...it's from an older model with just a plain black strip across the centre as opposed to the silvery 'euro' trim.

I noticed the other day that the chrome tail light surrounds fit really poorly. On left side there is about a 1cm gap up at the top, and it fits really tightly against the bumper. On the right side it's the opposite...tight at the top and a gap at the bottom.

Would an older centre bumper fit the same? Was it just the trim that was different? I have a source for trim, but not the actual bumper, so I was wondering if I could just swap them.

425 Dual Quad
08-19-09, 12:13 PM
:postpics:

Sorry ! - couldn't resist, but pics would help :-)
Nick

robb257731
08-19-09, 01:45 PM
Kiss my blarney stone! LOL. Point taken....I will post a link to some pictures today.

robb257731
08-19-09, 02:00 PM
Okay, here is the link to some pictures that show the poor fit of the bumper. Question being, is it due to the fact that the bumper itself is older than the car, or has it just been poorly installed?

http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/robb257731/?newest=1

jayoldschool
08-19-09, 02:10 PM
I believe the rear bumper is the same. The only difference is the trim. I think that they just didn't get things straight when the put it back together.

robb257731
08-19-09, 02:22 PM
Groovy. It's pretty clearly off-kilter, but it did look like it was the right fit. I'm planning on having some bodywork done in the spring...want some paint chips filled in and a couple of small dings taken care of...will ask them to fix the bumper while I'm at it.

sven914
08-19-09, 04:12 PM
The bumpers have to be shimmed for proper fit. What they were supposed to do was remove the shims from the new bumper and put on only the number that were there from yours. The wrong number of shims would cause it to be crooked like that.

Angry Matt
08-19-09, 07:01 PM
I've experimented a lot with swapping the rear bumpers for the two style cars and there are a few differences. The '90 should have extra holes for the lower bulb in the tail light. There are also two clips that hold the reflectors in the trim that there are square holes cut in the bumper for. The '80's fins will not work with the '90's tail lights as the mounting depth for the lens is different. They either used the right bumper and wrong trim or cut the holes for the bulbs to fit if you have the white and red lenses. It's not hard to do.

I noticed the other day that the chrome tail light surrounds fit really poorly.

Do you mean the bezel? The thin trim directly around the lens? That could mean the wrong fins.

robb257731
08-19-09, 10:49 PM
Hey Matt,

No, the fins are original to the car...I'm talking about the straight bumper which fits between the fins.

I don't want to get into cutting anything up, as I'm not good at that kind of thing.

Ideally I'd like to find a correct bumper for a 1991, but I'm not having any luck. The couple that I have found have been all pitted and rusty.

What should a bumper go for?

Angry Matt
08-19-09, 11:34 PM
If the fins fit, and the white tail lights work, you can just switch the trim. If it's an older bumper you'll just have to cut the clips off the back that hold the reflectors in. It's all plastic so you can do it with wire cutters and just put some glue on the back of the reflectors to hold them to the trim. If your tail lights are correct and functional then you either have the right bumper with the wrong molding or someone cut an '80's bumper. Cosmetically the bumpers are the same. You don't need a bumper just trim.

As for the bumper being off, stupid me didn't even look at the pics, sorry about the confusion. Sven's right, looks like a case of shimming. Get someone to help you, one to wrench and the other standing aside giving orders, much easier with two people. Before you do that, pop the tail light out and loosen the three bolts that mount the fin to the bumper. Sometimes there's some play to tighten that gap. I wouldn't trust a body shop to do as good of a job as you could do yourself.

Nice car by the way. Love the color.

robb257731
08-20-09, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the advice Matt. Sounds like a plan to me.