: Fried Head Unit

T-Giv
08-18-09, 07:50 PM
Guys! I need some serious help here. So here's the story, I have an ipod adapter for my factory head unit and it has been working wonderfully for the last year or so until recently I went into the dealer for some service. The ipod adapter only works when the satellite radio inputs are disconnected and when the adapter stopped working I checked them and the satellite inputs were all hooked back up. In diagnosing the problem, I started by trying to disconnect the satellite inputs again and instead of the clamps coming loose the wires pulled out of the bracket and there was some sparks flying as well as smoke. I was shocked, then I tried to start the vehicle and now the head unit won't even turn on at all. I fear that I may have shorted it out in some way. Has anyone had any experience with something like this happening? I went from trying to fix my ipod adapter to possibly looking at buying a new head unit. :fan:

sk7
08-18-09, 08:31 PM
There might be a few different fuses that were blown in the process, some low amps one don't take much to go, and will prevent the head unit from functionning (ie the memory backup one, I think its only 2-3 amps). Remember there's a fusebox left side of dashboard also to look at after the underhood fuse-relay junction.

luxurylife33
08-19-09, 12:20 AM
Hopefully your fuse's took the hit before it got to your head unit. Try checking all your fuses next to the drivers door first.

T-Giv
08-20-09, 01:44 AM
What do you guys think of this possibility? Perhaps the head unit has a security feature and it was triggered when I pulled the wiring. Maybe it triggered an anti-theft feature or something?

luxurylife33
08-20-09, 02:50 AM
theres no anti theft codes on for the radios/navs our lades ......

sk7
08-20-09, 03:50 PM
If I have the right model head unit (this is delux one, there's 4 different ones), you basically need to worry about having power to the orange wire. Here's the wiring diagram.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/sk7_1969/Escalade/RADIO.gif

CadillacSTS42005
08-20-09, 03:54 PM
there is a theftlock for the nav radio in lades
however it will display theftlock if it was locked not be completely dead

sk7
08-20-09, 04:26 PM
Correct, I tho only older styles had theftlock protection. CutNpaste info from the service manual.

Theft Deterrent
The theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the run power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The 2 scenarios able to cause this condition are:

A radio is installed from another vehicle.
A module which communicates on the class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle.
The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the Theftlock DTC for further information.

The digital radio receiver utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if it is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the digital radio receiver receives the run power mode message, it compares the VIN information received from the body control module (BCM) on the class 2 serial data circuit. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the digital radio receiver is locked. The digital radio receiver cannot be unlocked, it must be replaced. The 2 scenarios able to cause this condition are:

A digital radio receiver is installed from another vehicle
The BCM is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle

luxurylife33
08-20-09, 07:18 PM
Let me rephrase my last statement..... There is a theft lock in the radio. If you switch radios between two different cars, the theft lock will appear. However, the radio is programmed to your car so once it recognizes your car, there is no theft lock. I have unplugged my radio countless times and has not once asked me for a code. This gentleman should not have a problem with the the theft lock unless the radio was from another lade.

And as mentioned before, the theft lock would show up anyway, it wouldn't be blank.

I apologize for my previous statement, It was my birthday yesterday and last night and I got a little carried away with the alcohol. :)

T-Giv
08-21-09, 12:55 PM
I understand what you are trying to say. The head unit has only been in my 'Lade and has not seen another truck so it shouldn't have any anti-theft issues. The head unit just went black when I pulled out the wires and now it won't power on or anything. Gents I have little to no experience with wiring etc. so I have no idea how to check what fuses are blown or where the important ones are located.

T-Giv
08-27-09, 12:20 PM
Hey guys just wanted to let you all know that I got the head unit up and running again! It was simply a blown fuse. I just looked in the fuse box under the hood and found the "radio" fuse, swapped it with one of the spares provided in the interior fuse box and she powered back on. Thank you guys for your help! You saved me some serious cash!

sk7
08-27-09, 01:25 PM
Great news! Those factory head units are worth lotsa $$$.