: Need help best way to pull engine and tranny

devus83
08-18-09, 08:47 PM
Hello this is my first post but i have been using the search feature for a while. i have 2 coupe devilles one was hit hard on the front driver side but it had only 50k original owner and 100% maint records it is firemist with an all white int 1982. my other is 130+k on it terrible maint ect body is very straight runs and drives 1984. i am almost done with the interior swap i can post some pics later. But i need to take the entire drive train from one to the other hopefully by sat. i have a cherry picker and have removed the connections vaccum ect what is the best way to pull it all as one unit? or engine then tranny i dont mind removing the front end to accomplish time just isnt on my side. any help would be greatly appreciated?? :confused:

csbuckn
08-18-09, 09:28 PM
Take the engine and tranny together and remove the front clip, especially the front bumper. The picker is gonna have a hard time reaching if you dont take off the bumper but its not impossible. watch the exhaust bolts cause if they break, you will have a fun time with that.

devus83
08-18-09, 10:29 PM
Thanks :thumbsup: ill drop the front end first thing in the morning where should i bolt up the cherry picker? i have the 2 bolt sling kind do you think it would be easier if i got the carb plate to lift it there?

csbuckn
08-18-09, 10:56 PM
I usually bolt mine to the intake manifold(front driver and rear passenger). I have never used one of those carb adapters but if you have a leveler on your cherry picker chains, it would be useless with the carb plate.

devus83
08-18-09, 11:08 PM
ok perfect then i will just do that i can just unbolt those intake manifold bolt and bolt it there the furthest back passenger and furthest front driver. thanks again i was almost to the point of taking one at a time with this i should be done by friday :worship:

devus83
08-20-09, 09:27 PM
Hey i looked up the pics from your swap did you have to remove the intake manifold to attach the chains? they are sorta recessed in on mine where the plate wont sit flush. if i can just put them on and thread the bolts a couple of times till they are tight with that support it?

akimball442
08-20-09, 09:38 PM
+1 on the intake manifold bolt method. Just remove one, head to your friendly local bolt vendor, and buy a pair of bolts that are a bit longer, maybe an inch. That will give you room to get the chain on and the chain can turn a little so it doesn't bind up. The bolts may bend a little and that is ok, as you're going to discard them when you're done.

csbuckn
08-21-09, 12:33 AM
They dont have to be tight as long as they are in there enough to get a good grip. Akimball's idea is great, grab some longer screws and screw then down as much as you can. The chains dont have to be tight but the bolts have to be in there.

Insert disclaimer here

devus83
08-21-09, 01:57 AM
Great i cant say thank you enough ill update with pics after i get it done.

cadillac_al
08-21-09, 08:28 AM
I usually bolt some Chevy lift brackets to whatever engine I am lifting. I usually save them when I see them laying around somewhere or grab some if I'm at the junkyard.

delzy
08-23-09, 12:44 AM
I just did it both ways over last winter and separating the tranny from the motor was way easier. the secret is to have a bunch of worn, long extensions so you can easily get the bell housing bolts toward the top. With the right tools, its a lot easier. You should buy new flywheel bolts though.

The other secret tool is the right tranny jack.