: 1978 cb

lesinfamous
08-18-09, 06:57 PM
Will a cb radio with 8 track from a 1978 eldorado fit and work on a 75 fleetwood? it does not have those "wings" found on post 1976 full size caddies. Furthermore, i need a factory cb antenna. Does anyone know of a one stop shop that would carry a period correct cb antenna?? thanks!!

Bro-Ham
08-18-09, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen the CB equipped Delco radios from the 1977+ cars put in the older cars. The 78 Eldo dash should be the same style as your 1975. The factory antenna for CB equipped radios is called a "tri-band" antenna. They have a bulge on one of the antenna sections. Do some online searching for an antenna place or a Cadillac vintage parts place. Hope this is of some help. Good luck! Dave :)

lesinfamous
08-19-09, 11:57 AM
thanks dave,

I see, up until now i thought i would need a completely separate antenna for the cb. Now, when you say tri-band antenna, do you mean am/fm/cb antenna? I have managed to find one on ebay. Can you look at it and tell me if it will work... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330324154416&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Bro-Ham
08-19-09, 09:36 PM
WOW! Now that's a rare piece! Yes, that's what you will need. Growing up my family had a 1977 Sedan deVille with the factory CB and I remember the good 'ol distinctive tri-band antenna with its distinctive center "bulb" on the mast for the CB. Starting in 1979 the Cadillac radios were electronically tuned and also had optional CB radios through 1985. Have you thought about one of those more modern am/fm CB radios or are you going with the 1978 radio to be old school? Have fun with the project and post some shots of how it all turns out! Dave :)

lesinfamous
08-20-09, 03:07 PM
Will do!!....just had two more questions...Now, that bulb on the mast, will it sit flush with my fender? I am planning to install it in my 75 cadillac limo. If not, i guess im going to need a new bezel to accommodate the top of the mast. I am also looking at this antenna on ebay....can you look at it and tell me if it will work as well...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-NOS-Delco-Power-Antenna-With-CB-Radio_W0QQitemZ140340388440QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20acf06258&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245 thanks again

Bro-Ham
08-20-09, 10:33 PM
Hi, The "bulb" is about the thickness of the largest section of the antenna mast on the tri-band antenna. I can't think of a better name to call the tri-band part other than a bulb. I'm no expert on this subject other than seeing that type of antenna on a regular basis on our Sedan deVille family car from when it was new in 1977 until 1991. As for the antenna on e-bay, I can't be sure although would suspect you may need a new bezel since I recall the antenna perhaps having more sections than a standard antenna although I'm not 100% certain about that. Again, it's been many years. Good luck to you! Dave