: Intake Assembly

speedyman_2
07-26-04, 12:45 AM
Just curious as to what you guys think about this.

Intake Assembly (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7913058888&category=38634)

I was thinking I could buy it an have it ported an polished while I still have the car with the old one on it. I already know I could free up 10-15HP with a bored out throttle body. What about the whole thing?? For $50 is it worth it?

JSMeloche
07-26-04, 09:45 AM
This could be an interesting mod but the intake is made out of plastic (the black part). I dont think you can port and polish plastic. But you could probably use the throttle body and have it over bored.
50$ for a used throttle body looks like a good deal and you can probably sell the rest of the intake on ebay if you dont need it LOL!
I know Mantaparts.com do bored TB for Pontaic QUAD 4 and some V6 GM engine, they might be able to do you used one.

Geno Castellano
07-26-04, 12:11 PM
Several people have already tried a larger throttle body with little or no success in making more power. Unless a LOT of other mods are made the throttle body is not a restriction for power. The plastic intake isn't something that's readily "ported and polished". It's virtually inaccessible internally and the injection molded plastic passages are already very smooth and properly shaped. You could cut into the lower plenum and round off some rough edges and remove the remaining plastic flash at the runner entrances from the plenum. There's usually some minor flash where the runners transition from the plenum into the runner bellmouth. The only way to do this is to "window" the manifold - cut a large hole in the plenum from below rework the runner entrances and then patch the hole with a piece of sheet metal, plastic screws and RTV. Not a simple job. The plastic intake has very thin, uniform walls so there's not much, if any, excess material to remove during "porting". Basically all you can do is to round off some of the sharp edges slightly and make sure all the plastic flash is gone. I seriously doubt you'll be able to tell the difference since the manifold flows pretty good already.

eldorado1
07-26-04, 02:59 PM
why not just switch to a 2000+ intake? Don't those have slightly larger runners?

speedyman_2
07-26-04, 11:24 PM
why not just switch to a 2000+ intake? Don't those have slightly larger runners?

I dunno. Is this true?? If so, I'd rather look into that instead of modding mine if there isn't going to be a significant increase in power. I remember seeing the 80mm Throttle body on RSM racing I think. They say it adds 20HP. Is this not true??

Geno Castellano
07-26-04, 11:49 PM
I dunno. Is this true?? If so, I'd rather look into that instead of modding mine if there isn't going to be a significant increase in power. I remember seeing the 80mm Throttle body on RSM racing I think. They say it adds 20HP. Is this not true??

The 2000 and later manifold wont interchange onto the 99 and earlier engines. In any case, it's not better for power. Equivalent maybe, quieter for induction noise - yes. The 2000 intake is probably just a tiny bit more restrictive all things being even as it has a central feed plenum (as opposed to the end feed on the 93-99 engines) with an extra bend in the intake tract.

20 horsepower on an otherwise stock engine for a larger throttle body? Not happening. Call Alan Johnson at www.chrfab.com (http://www.chrfab.com) and ask him. On a modified engine in a street rod or sand car that is revving to 7500 then it will make more power but not on an otherwise stock engine. I don't know how they substantiate their claim of 20 horsepower but I'd be highly suspect of even 1 horsepower with it on an production configuration engine.

speedyman_2
07-27-04, 12:46 AM
Dang, lie to all this time. Oh well. Thanks for the info bbobynski :)

Looks like I might start considering Nitrous again :lildevil: Or Maybe not :halo:

BlackHatch
07-27-04, 01:17 AM
Those intake runners flow plenty well for the stock or near stock motor configuration. If you are looking to make more power than you should look into headwork and cams. I doubt the TB would be a limiting factor at that point as well. I am not sure as to the size of the stock TB but by opening it up beyond what is actually required in CFM may just slow the car up a tiny bit on the low side from a drop in velocity but in either case, the stocker is plenty big.

Do some headwork and a small shot of N20 and you will be golden.

BlackHatch
07-27-04, 01:18 AM
What is stock size on these anyway...same size as the LS1 engine I thought....? Somewhere around 70mm. If I recall, that is more than adequate to levels up and around 500 HP

speedyman_2
07-27-04, 01:29 AM
So the Northstar is pretty much pushed to it's limits as far as performance. The only things that can be done seem to be the heads. Seems like a possibilty for a good power increase, but how will my gas mileage suffer? Also, I remember asking about N2O. I remember 120hp was a good shot for the N*. Is that still accurate??

BlackHatch
07-27-04, 01:35 AM
I am just learning about the internals of the N* motor as I am considering modifying it.

That being said, as long as your head porter knows what he is doing, gas mileage should remain comparable as long as driving is fairly comparable. You will be flowing more air so more fuel will be required but you will not be flowing appreciably much more air unless you want a motor that has no balls down low.

As far as the N2O goes, 120 is hefty shot. I would make sure that you are talking about a wet shot in that case and that the caddy has forged internals. I would also look at beefing up the transmission shift firmness as N2O can be havoc on clutches and bands on a high revving engine.

speedyman_2
07-27-04, 10:40 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm doing all this research before I go and do stuff to my car. I guess the intake situation is a waste of time. And too much nitrous could be bad. So I thought It would be a good Idea to get this.

Nitrous Kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7913086696&category=33740)

It's only a 5-50HP shot with the small bottle. I figured it's a lot cheaper. And, probably better to learn with since I've never used N20 before. Plus, I could learn how to install it myself, and not have to worry since it's not expensive or very harmful like the 120 shot. What do you guys think?

ryes97sts
08-24-04, 07:39 PM
I have a 97 STS and I was getting a P0101 Code. MY car was not shifting good and the RPMs would jump really high with little gas. It all because I put an intake on and it was alllowing too much air flow. Some of the air must have been dirty and it got my throttle body dirty. That is why I dont advise messing with your throttle body. It is very vital